Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Bed bugs are backand with a vengeance!
We all know what ants, fleas,flys, ticks, termites, mosquitoes, and cockroaches arebecausethey are common everyday pests but did you know that bed bugs are now being added to the list?
Dont let the Bed Bugs Bite is no longer the nursery rhymewe remember from years ago.
Why are bed bugs back after being gone for so long?
Begin with knowledge
Years ago DDT, Chlordaneand Lindane (now restricted chemicals) were used for elimination of bed bugs. We got a break for40-50 years until the late 90s where they started to rear their ugly heads once again in hotels, apartment complexes, businesses and homes throughout many countries.
As the years continue to pass, the numbers of new sightings and the severity of bed bug infestations are continuing to grow exponentially throughout the world. Because of this,worldwide education will have to be ongoing process until we all realize this is an insect we will be living with for a while.
Known for their elusive and hitchhiking behavior, until all living humans understand what they are, how to know if they have them, what to do if they have themand how to avoid them, they will continue to be the challenge they are today.
What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs, scientifically known as Cimex lectularius (Hemiptera: Cimicidae) are small insects that are flattened dorsally.Bed bugs have evolved as nest parasites from inhabiting the roosts of bats and nests of birds centuries ago.
Bed bugs feed upon warm blood, and we as humans are perfect hosts.
Because bed bugs have their exoskeleton on the outside of their body, growth is constrained by the rigidity of it and it must be shed in order to grow to the next stage of development. This shedding of the exoskeleton is called Ecdysis or molting. After molting, its translucent soft-body is exposed and within a couple of hours, the cuticle hardens and starts to darken. (A bed bug in any stage must take a blood meal in order to molt into the next stage successfully).
Life Cycle and Development
Thebed bughas five developmental life stages. Each immature life stage (called nymphs or instars) must take a blood meal in order to develop into the next life stage. This development process from an egg to an adult can take place in approximately 24 to 36 days at optimal temperatures (72 F) and regular blood meals.
After growing through five successful instar molts, the bed bug then becomes an adult. Adult bed bugs, both male and female, must also take regular blood meals for reproduction.
What do they look like?
It is very important to know what bed bugs look like compared to similar insects as the treatment options and costs are very different. Often people tend to mistake other bugs for a bed bug.
Adult Bed Bugs
The adult bed bugare easily be seen with the naked eye. They are reddish brown in color, and are approximately inch in length. Althoughthey canmove swiftly in horizontal and vertical positions, they dont fly and they dont jump.
Depending on their feeding status, bed bugs look very different. An unfed bed bug looks more like a flat disk but when after taking a blood meal they increase in size to approx. 3 to 4 times that of their original size. Fully fed, the bed bug takes on the shape of a torpedo with an elongated trunk bright in color. As digestion progresses the bed bug darkens in color and flattens out until the next blood meal.
Regardless of what you have read or unless you have exceptional eyesight or a magnifying glass, bed bug eggs are similar to the size of a poppy seed are not very visible to the human eye. The eggs are pearl white, translucent in color and display obvious eyespots of the nymph inside the egg when 5 days or older.
A female bed bug can lay a few hundred eggs in her lifetime of many months to around a year, but these are not deposited all at one time, (regular feeding and mating are required).Depending on temperature and conditions, these eggs can hatch anywhere from three  to ten  days or longer. The eggs are attached to surfaces by a sticky substance.
The youngest stage of life and the most challenging to see is the first instar nymph freshly hatched unless they are moving or have recently fed (bright red when full of blood). These newly hatched nymphs aretranslucent pearl whitish in color.
PHYSICAL SIGNS OF BED BUGS
Although bites can be a strong indication of bed bugs it is not theway to accurately identify whether one has bed bugs or not and signs of them must be found.
Finding a live bed bug would be best but because of the bed bugs amazing ability to hide, you may not always find a live bed bug. As you do your inspection routine you will want to be looking for these other signs.
FECAL STAINS (POOP)
This sign of bed bugs is fecal (poop) dropping or stains. The larger the infestation, the greater amount of these will be found. These stains appear to be minute ink dots, (like from a black marker pen), can be found just about anywhere. Some materials are impervious to moisture and the dropping may bead up on the surface.
MOLTED BED BUG SKINS (CASTINGS)
These are when the bed bug grows out of its skin and leaves the old one behind. They are normally a paper thin opaque duplication of the bed bug. Depending on how long youve had an infestation, you may find different sizes as each stage of growth to maturity is a little larger than the last.
Outside of bite marks people may find blood spots. These spots may be recognized as rusty spots on bedclothes, sheets, furniture and surrounding walls.
The next sign is a peculiar odor that can be from defecated blood and oxidized iron in blood, a sort of rusty smell. There are actually many bed bug infestation odors (and have been said to be like coriander, cilantro, citronella, and/or musty raspberries). Some of the odors are usually associated with higher numbers of bed bugs and longer infestations, and like any of the normal human smells and scents, if you reside in the room on a regular basis you may be use to the smell.
BED BUGS EDUCATION | IBBRA
- From blankets to backpacks to key fobs, Shawna Gilleland wore her love for the Iowa Hawkeyes - Des Moines Register - October 31st, 2020
- Early Humans Knew the Art of Creating Comfy Pest Free Beds According to Study! Is it true? Details here - Gizmo Posts 24 - August 19th, 2020
- How To Check for Bed Bugs - Illinois Bed Bug Registry ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Illinois Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rights and Responsibilities - Housing - Illinois - July 29th, 2020
- How to Keep Bed Bugs Out of Your House - Healthy Home ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Inspection | CDIS - Canine Inspection & Detection ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Registry Database Illinois, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - March 1st, 2019
- Illinois Tollway Building Has Bed Bugs, Employee Claims ... - March 1st, 2019
- Bed bugs on the increase in Illinois but lack of DDT makes ... - March 1st, 2019
- Dealing with bed bugs | Illinois Legal Aid Online - July 22nd, 2018
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - FOX 29 - August 11th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs | Local ... - MyWebTimes.com - July 25th, 2017
- Bed bug numbers on the rise in Central Illinois - Herald & Review - July 22nd, 2017
- The bedbug letter - Casper Star-Tribune Online - July 10th, 2017
- What you need to know about bed bugs in Chicago | Illinois ... - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - Beloit Daily News - July 5th, 2017
- Local Pest Control Warns about Bed Bugs - CIproud.com - June 23rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs Archives - PMCS-ICAP - June 19th, 2017
- BedBug Central Announces April Survey Results - PCT Magazine - June 16th, 2017
- In 'Boundless,' The Modern World Is Timeless - NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS - June 5th, 2017
- Where fake news goes to die - MyStateline.com - March 10th, 2017
- Investigation: Homeless families nonprofit climbing back from money troubles - TCPalm - February 24th, 2017
- Bedbugs 'an ongoing problem' - MyWebTimes.com - February 11th, 2017
- Beating Back Bed Bugs | Midwest Pesticide Action Center - February 1st, 2017
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bugs - January 6th, 2017
- Search for bed bugs in a hotel room (expert tips ... - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Chicago Illinois Pest Control | Fox - April 4th, 2016
- News Release - University of Illinois Extension - April 4th, 2016
- BED BUGS HOTLINE | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs - StopPests.org - October 31st, 2015
- Illinois - Bed Bug Store - October 30th, 2015
- Identify Bed Bugs: Pictures and Descriptions - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pest Control in Chicago, IL | Midwest Exterminating - September 14th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Keylime Cove, Gurnee, IL - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Images - Bedbugger.com - August 3rd, 2015
- Peoria County Government :: Bed Bugs - July 29th, 2015
- Lambs Farm battling bed bug infestation - March 17th, 2015
- Milwaukee challenging Orkin report that bed bugs are on the rise - January 22nd, 2015
- Chicago ranked as worst city in America for bed bugs - January 21st, 2015
- Scientists developing first bed bug trap - December 27th, 2014
- Bed Bugs- U of I Extension - December 8th, 2014
- Aurora leads (six) pack in expensive beer? - October 24th, 2014
- KILL BED BUGS CHICAGO ILLINOIS | 630-834-2423 | Kill Bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Illinois Department of Public Health takes action on bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Illinois - Bed Bugs And BeyondBed Bugs ... - April 24th, 2014
- Bed Bug Awareness Week Recognized April 20-26 - April 17th, 2014
- Bed bugs spotted at the Thompson Center - March 22nd, 2014
- Illinois - Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment ... - March 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Illinois - Go Bug Free, Inc. - Chicago, IL 60290 - February 25th, 2014
- Lawsuit: Bedbugs in suburban hotel force woman to cut dreadlocks - January 24th, 2014
- Bed Bugs' Infestation in Chicago Tops Latest Ranking, My Cleaning Products Tips Residents How to Kill Bed Bugs Quick ... - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Illinois | Bedbug Extermination in IL - January 18th, 2014
- Allied Termite and Pest Control - January 16th, 2014
- Metropolitan Tenants Organization » Bed Bugs – FAQ - January 4th, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Hilton Palmer House, Chicago, IL - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Illinois - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - November 27th, 2013
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bug Information - November 27th, 2013
- IN Bed Bug Control Gets Rid Of Bed Bugs In Indiana, Kentucky ... - November 25th, 2013
- Illinois teacher uses school bed bug infestation as teachable ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Are Making a Comeback in Illinois - November 4th, 2013
- Can You See Bed Bugs in Champaign IL - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of Public Health - November 3rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Chicago Hotels - Chicago, Illinois ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Chicago - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Free 2-Day Express Shipping on Vapamore Primo Steam Vapor System - October 13th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Hybrid Allergy Relief Steam Vapor Sanitization System - October 10th, 2012
- Innovative ‘Green Cleaning’ Steam Vapor Sanitization Systems Now Come with Free Accessories, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR ... - October 9th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Italian Bed Bug Steam Vapor System - October 6th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Steam Vapor Systems Learning Center - October 5th, 2012
- Professional Bed Bug Steam Vapor System Now Affordable and Available, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com - October 1st, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Extends Free Accessory Set Offer Through October - September 30th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Multifunctional Steam Vapor System that Makes Green Homekeeping Easy - September 30th, 2012
- Community Digest - June 16th, 2012
- FOX19 Investigates: Secret bed bug dangers - May 9th, 2012
- Champaign Man Upset Over Apartment Bed Bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Bed bugs are sucking the fun out of things - March 1st, 2012
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.