Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Phyllis Anderson uses a walker and suffers her share of health problems, including a blood clot. On top of that, she says she is dealing with bedbugs.
Anderson lives on the fourth floor of the Fox High-Rise, which is part of the Housing Authority for La Salle County.
Last year, the authority acknowledged a bedbug issue at Fox, among other places.
Currently, the authority is dealing with 13 units with bedbug issues six in the Ottawa-Marseilles-Seneca zone, five in the Streator area and two in the La Salle-Peru-Oglesby-Mendota zone, according to officials. That figures to about 1 percent of units.
Sitting in her studio apartment Monday, Anderson pointed to black marks on her chair's armrest she said were droppings from bedbugs, which feed on human blood.
Anderson, who has lived in the high-rise for 29 years, said she doesn't suffer from any itchiness as the result of bedbugs, but the droppings upset her. She said she takes pride in her apartment's cleanliness.
While a reporter interviewed her Monday morning, Anderson received a phone call from an authority official, who said the agency would send a private exterminator to treat the problem Thursday. Anderson was told she would be required to leave her apartment for four hours and follow instructions, which include packing up everything in her apartment.
Anderson told the official she did not have the physical ability to pack up her belongings. She became angrier during the conversation, disputing the authority's requirements. After a few minutes, she hung up on the official, telling the the reporter, "That may get me in trouble."
Her hands shook. The conversation, she said, disturbed her.
In October, an authority-hired exterminator treated her place. Then, she received the help of a couple neighbors to put her things back in place. She stayed in one of their apartments during the treatment. But those neighbors have since moved, leaving her with fewer options.
"If it weren't for the two neighbors, I don't know what I would have done," Anderson said. "I can't hire someone. I don't even have money for my medicine."
Looking in her calendar, she said the bedbug problems started in the high-rise in early 2013. In all the years before that, she said she never heard of such an issue there.
Rick Jurkas, the authority's executive director, confirmed Anderson requested an inspection for bedbugs. He said a search last Friday yielded one live bedbug and two dead ones.
"It sounds like the bedbugs were in the carpeting," Jurkas said. "If the unit were heavily infested, you would see them in the bed. We called (the exterminator) right away after she called. The biggest thing is getting on them right away."
According to the authority's policies, tenants must contact the management office if they believe they have bedbugs. If an inspector finds them, tenants will be required to comply with the treatment process. This includes signing a checklist, preparing for treatment, changing living habits, cooperating with pesticide contractors and teaming up with the authority until the bedbugs are gone.
Jurkas said he would look for an organization that could help Anderson, but others may not want to come in, given the bedbug issue.
Anderson's unit is the only one now with bedbug issues at the Fox High-Rise.
Until about a decade ago, public housing in La Salle County and around Illinois dealt with cockroach problems, not bedbugs, Jurkas said.
"Before 10 years ago, there was never a bedbug anywhere in public housing," said Jurkas, who has been with the authority for 35 years. "Bedbugs are now something we'll constantly have to deal with until the powers that be come up with something that kills them. Ideally, we would have zero bedbugs. I don't know if that day will ever come. I think it's an ongoing problem."
La Salle County's public housing, he said, experiences 20 percent turnover every year.
"People are constantly coming and going. Bedbugs come in from used furniture and used clothing," Jurkas said. "All it takes is bedbugs coming in from somewhere else."
Bedbugs are flat, tiny insects, oval in shape and light tan to brown until after the bite, in which case they turn a reddish color.
Bedbugs are considered a nuisance, causing skin rashes. But they pose no health risks. The level of sanitation has nothing to do with the existence of bedbugs. The insects burrow deep inside of couches and other items.
Read the rest here:
Bedbugs 'an ongoing problem' - MyWebTimes.com
- From blankets to backpacks to key fobs, Shawna Gilleland wore her love for the Iowa Hawkeyes - Des Moines Register - October 31st, 2020
- Early Humans Knew the Art of Creating Comfy Pest Free Beds According to Study! Is it true? Details here - Gizmo Posts 24 - August 19th, 2020
- How To Check for Bed Bugs - Illinois Bed Bug Registry ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Illinois Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rights and Responsibilities - Housing - Illinois - July 29th, 2020
- How to Keep Bed Bugs Out of Your House - Healthy Home ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Inspection | CDIS - Canine Inspection & Detection ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Registry Database Illinois, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - March 1st, 2019
- Illinois Tollway Building Has Bed Bugs, Employee Claims ... - March 1st, 2019
- Bed bugs on the increase in Illinois but lack of DDT makes ... - March 1st, 2019
- Dealing with bed bugs | Illinois Legal Aid Online - July 22nd, 2018
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - FOX 29 - August 11th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs | Local ... - MyWebTimes.com - July 25th, 2017
- Bed bug numbers on the rise in Central Illinois - Herald & Review - July 22nd, 2017
- The bedbug letter - Casper Star-Tribune Online - July 10th, 2017
- What you need to know about bed bugs in Chicago | Illinois ... - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - Beloit Daily News - July 5th, 2017
- Local Pest Control Warns about Bed Bugs - CIproud.com - June 23rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs Archives - PMCS-ICAP - June 19th, 2017
- BedBug Central Announces April Survey Results - PCT Magazine - June 16th, 2017
- In 'Boundless,' The Modern World Is Timeless - NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS - June 5th, 2017
- Where fake news goes to die - MyStateline.com - March 10th, 2017
- Investigation: Homeless families nonprofit climbing back from money troubles - TCPalm - February 24th, 2017
- Beating Back Bed Bugs | Midwest Pesticide Action Center - February 1st, 2017
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bugs - January 6th, 2017
- Search for bed bugs in a hotel room (expert tips ... - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Chicago Illinois Pest Control | Fox - April 4th, 2016
- News Release - University of Illinois Extension - April 4th, 2016
- BED BUGS HOTLINE | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- BED BUGS EDUCATION | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs - StopPests.org - October 31st, 2015
- Illinois - Bed Bug Store - October 30th, 2015
- Identify Bed Bugs: Pictures and Descriptions - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pest Control in Chicago, IL | Midwest Exterminating - September 14th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Keylime Cove, Gurnee, IL - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Images - Bedbugger.com - August 3rd, 2015
- Peoria County Government :: Bed Bugs - July 29th, 2015
- Lambs Farm battling bed bug infestation - March 17th, 2015
- Milwaukee challenging Orkin report that bed bugs are on the rise - January 22nd, 2015
- Chicago ranked as worst city in America for bed bugs - January 21st, 2015
- Scientists developing first bed bug trap - December 27th, 2014
- Bed Bugs- U of I Extension - December 8th, 2014
- Aurora leads (six) pack in expensive beer? - October 24th, 2014
- KILL BED BUGS CHICAGO ILLINOIS | 630-834-2423 | Kill Bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Illinois Department of Public Health takes action on bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Illinois - Bed Bugs And BeyondBed Bugs ... - April 24th, 2014
- Bed Bug Awareness Week Recognized April 20-26 - April 17th, 2014
- Bed bugs spotted at the Thompson Center - March 22nd, 2014
- Illinois - Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment ... - March 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Illinois - Go Bug Free, Inc. - Chicago, IL 60290 - February 25th, 2014
- Lawsuit: Bedbugs in suburban hotel force woman to cut dreadlocks - January 24th, 2014
- Bed Bugs' Infestation in Chicago Tops Latest Ranking, My Cleaning Products Tips Residents How to Kill Bed Bugs Quick ... - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Illinois | Bedbug Extermination in IL - January 18th, 2014
- Allied Termite and Pest Control - January 16th, 2014
- Metropolitan Tenants Organization » Bed Bugs – FAQ - January 4th, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Hilton Palmer House, Chicago, IL - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Illinois - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - November 27th, 2013
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bug Information - November 27th, 2013
- IN Bed Bug Control Gets Rid Of Bed Bugs In Indiana, Kentucky ... - November 25th, 2013
- Illinois teacher uses school bed bug infestation as teachable ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Are Making a Comeback in Illinois - November 4th, 2013
- Can You See Bed Bugs in Champaign IL - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of Public Health - November 3rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Chicago Hotels - Chicago, Illinois ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Chicago - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Free 2-Day Express Shipping on Vapamore Primo Steam Vapor System - October 13th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Hybrid Allergy Relief Steam Vapor Sanitization System - October 10th, 2012
- Innovative ‘Green Cleaning’ Steam Vapor Sanitization Systems Now Come with Free Accessories, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR ... - October 9th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Italian Bed Bug Steam Vapor System - October 6th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Steam Vapor Systems Learning Center - October 5th, 2012
- Professional Bed Bug Steam Vapor System Now Affordable and Available, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com - October 1st, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Extends Free Accessory Set Offer Through October - September 30th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Multifunctional Steam Vapor System that Makes Green Homekeeping Easy - September 30th, 2012
- Community Digest - June 16th, 2012
- FOX19 Investigates: Secret bed bug dangers - May 9th, 2012
- Champaign Man Upset Over Apartment Bed Bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Bed bugs are sucking the fun out of things - March 1st, 2012
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.