If you notice that you have small itchy spots, red rashes or blisters when you wake up, it could be a sign that you have bed bugs. These tiny little pests can infest the seams of your mattress, bed frames, box springs, and headboards. It can be a challenge to get rid of bed bugs because they are hard to detect and they multiply rapidly. Bed bugs should be destroyed as quickly as possible because they can infest other areas of your home and cause a major problem.
Actually, bed bugs are not a sign that you have a dirty home, but they can be brought into your house through luggage, used furniture and beds, clothing and other household items.
Fortunately, there are many ways to naturally get rid of bed bugs. Bed bugs cant survive extreme hot or cold temperatures, so, methods like steam cleaning, hot washes, and drying on a high heat are natural home remedies to eliminate bed bugs from clothing and bedding. Placing small items in the freezer is another way to kill bed bugs.
For larger areas, you can make your own natural bed bug sprays from tea tree oil, lavender oil, or eradicate bed bugs by sprinkling diatomaceous earth powder in crevices that bed bugs like to inhabit.
Before we look at the best home remedies to eliminate bed bugs naturally, lets look at the symptoms of bed bugs and the problems these tiny insects can cause.
Adult bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed and gorge on the blood of humans and animals. Although bed bugs dont spread disease or cause infections, they cause a lot of personal discomfort.
Bedbugs can also quickly infest beds, couches, furniture and are difficult to find and kill because they like to hide in dark cracks, crevices, and gaps.
Dr. Carol DerSarkissian on WebMD says that bed bugs reach adult maturity within a month and can produce 3 or 4 generations a year.1
According to the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), the problem of getting rid of bed bugs and bed bug control is growing every year. A survey carried by the NPMA found there is a resurgence of bed bug infestations in hotels, movie theaters, public transportation, and even medical facilities.2
There is no doubt about it bed bugs are a nuisance and exterminating these tiny pests should be a top priority. One of the first symptoms that you may have a bed bug infestation is bites on your skin. These bites can appear anywhere on your body that the bed bug can crawl to. According to the National Health Service in the United Kingdom, some of the other symptoms of bed bug bites are:3
For other symptoms (including images), read the article: What Do Bed Bug Bites Look Like (And How To Get Rid of Them Faster).
There will also be some signs around your bed that indicate you need to think about some effective methods of bed bug control. For example, with a flashlight, you may discover the tiny bugs in seams around the edge of the mattress or in the bed joints or spring box. You may also notice dark or red spots on your bedding or mattress. This is their dried feces or blood from a killed bed bug.
What are the best ways of getting rid of bed bugs from your bed, mattress, headboard, couches, or anywhere else that they might be living? Here are some of the best tried and tested bed bug natural remedies.
If you have bed bug bites, make sure to read my article about the best natural ways to get rid of bed bug bites.
Here are some of the best home remedies to get rid of bed bugs:
One of the first steps to completely eliminate all traces of bed bugs from your home is to find all the infested areas. Bed bugs are usually found in bedrooms but they can inhabit any room in the home where people and pets sleep.
The US Environmental Protection Agency recommends carefully checking the seams of mattresses and other soft furnishings in your home. Examine the spaces between cushions, your mattress and bed frame and any other possible hiding place in your bedroom. Dont forget to check drawer joints, behind loose wallpaper, and even in electrical appliances.4
Any space the thickness of a credit card is a potential home for bed bugs.
Using a vacuum cleaner to suck up the bed bugs is a very effective and simple method to eradicate bed bugs from your bedroom.
A vacuum cleaner is a common household item so you can use it right now to kill bed bugs. To make sure and get rid of any eggs around the seams of your mattress, use a stiff brush to loosen any bed bug eggs from the material.
Bed bugs can be hiding everywhere, so youll need to vacuum all chairs and other soft furnishings, carpets, box springs, and mattresses and even curtains.
Regarding bed bug control, the journal Clinical Microbiology Reviews says that vacuuming can quickly get rid of a large number of bed bugs and their eggs. When using a vacuum cleaner to control bed bug infestations, its essential to use a disposable bag. As soon as you have vacuumed the infested area, remove and seal the bag before disposing of it.5
Kill bed bugs in smaller items by placing them in a freezer. Although bed bugs cant withstand freezing temperatures, they can live for up to a year in a cool room without any food sources.
To naturally kill the bedbugs you need to place infested items in a freezer that has a temperature below 1F (-17C) for at least 2 hours.5
Hot steam is a great home remedy to destroy bed bugs and their eggs without damaging the environment.
The hot steam method for bed bug eradication can get rid of bed bugs from small crevices and cracks. The steam can also penetrate through the mattress lining and eradicate bug infestations inside the mattress.
Scientists have found that bed bugs are quickly killed when exposed to temperatures above 140F (60C).5
So, if you have a steam cleaner, you can use it to exterminate bed bugs quickly without using harmful chemicals.
To kill bed bugs fast on your own using steam do the following:
You need to be aware that steaming will only kill bed bugs that are exposed to the heat, so any bed bugs that do not come into contact with the steam will survive.
The general recommendation is to use a powerful and heavy duty steamer with a large water tank, preferably with a steam volume control. Small steamers may not be effective in eliminating bedbugs. Small steamers require constant refilling and may cover less surface area so they can be less effective in eliminating bed bugs. They may also not get hot enough to eliminate bedbugs on and around the mattress.
You can also get rid of bed bugs from infected clothing and other fabric items by placing them in the washing machine and wash them at a temperature of over 60C.
Hot washing is probably one of the easiest and fastest natural ways to kill off bed bugs from clothing and other items using a common household item.
After putting infested items of clothing or bed linen through a hot wash, you should dry the items in a dryer set to a hot setting. This will make doubly sure that the bed linen is sterilized from bed bugs.
Dr. Carol DerSarkissian on WebMD recommends the hot wash and hot dryer method to de-infest fabric items like curtains, bedding, shoes, and stuffed toy animals from bed bugs.1
You could also use a hair dryer together with your vacuum cleaner to drive bed bugs out of crevices. Set the hair dryer to the hottest setting and direct into the crack. The hot air will kill the bed bugs and also force them out. Any bug not killed by the hair dryer can be sucked up with the vacuum cleaner.
Another natural way to prevent bed bugs from biting you during the night and stop them infesting other parts of your home is to encase mattresses and pillows.
Encasements for mattresses, spring boxes, and pillows are tightly woven covers that prevent bed bugs from entering or escaping. The encasements should be kept on for at least a year to ensure that all the bed bugs die naturally.
The National Pesticide Information Center recommends using encasements to protect your bed from bed bug infestations. In addition to encasing your bed items, they also recommend placing bed bug traps (such as this one) under your bed legs to stop bed bugs crawling up.6
While the above home remedies are excellent ways to eliminate bed bugs from your home, it is also necessary to treat areas with natural insecticides to kill bed bugs and eggs in hard to reach places. Here are some natural insecticides that you can make yourself to get rid of bed bugs.
The insecticidal properties of tea tree oil make it a great natural treatment to get rid of bed bug infestation. You can use the homemade tea tree spray to kill off bed bugs in hard to reach places, like cracks, crevices, and furniture joints.
A study from 2014 found that a tea tree oil solution is an effective and natural insect repellent and also acts as an insecticide.7
To make a natural insecticide with tea tree oil, put 20 drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle filled with water and shake well. Spray liberal amounts of the natural insecticide in all areas where you think bed bugs are living. Use the tea tree oil bed bug spray daily until all the signs of bed bugs have disappeared completely. Remember to shake the natural spray well before each application.
Tea tree oil is also a great natural remedy to cure any skin itching caused by bed bugs.
Similar to tea tree oil, lavender essential oil can be used to make an effective natural DIY pesticide spray to kill bed bugs.
The insect-repellent properties of lavender oil are toxic for bed bugs but completely safe to use around the home.
One study into the effect of essential oils and their use for insect and bug control found that a combination of lavender oil and peppermint oil effectively kills off insects.8 Lavender oil also helps to destroy insect eggs and larvae as well as repelling bed bugs. Peppermint oil also has a strong repellent action. 8
To make a natural bed bug spray, add 10-15 drops lavender essential oil and 10-15 drops peppermint oil to a spray bottle filled with water. Use the natural spray to treat areas infested with bed bugs. Use the natural pesticide spray daily until you no longer have any signs of bed bug infestation. Shake well before each application.
There are many other effective sprays to eliminate these nasty critters read about them in my article about the best bed bug sprays to kill bed bugs fast.
Diatomaceous earth is a natural and safe insecticide to eliminate bed bugs.
Diatomaceous earth powder helps to kill off bed bugs by causing them to dehydrate because it destroys their outer protective membrane. Some people also call it bed bug powder. Because vacuum cleaners may not remove all bed bugs in deep crevices, diatomaceous earth powder is an excellent way to control bed bugs and prevent further infestation.
A study into the use of diatomaceous earth in bed bug eradication found that it is a safe, non-toxic way to rid your home of bed bugs. Even though diatomaceous earth (DE) is slow acting, the study found that this was an advantage. This is because the bed bugs transfer the powder to other bugs and help to distribute the natural insecticide to their habitats. The study found that within 4 days, 80% of all the bed bugs had been killed. Complete eradication was achieved in 12 days.5
To naturally eliminate a bed bug infestation with diatomaceous earth, dust the bed bug powder around all areas where bed bugs may be hiding. Repeat the process every 3 days for 2 weeks to ensure complete removal of all the bed bugs.
Make sure to use food grade diatomaceousearth (here is one example), as it is safe to use around the home and its an effective home treatment for killing bed bugs and fleas.
Some people suggest that baking soda is an effective natural bed bug killer as it can dehydrate them or possibly even poison these tiny little pests.
However there is no indication showing that baking soda can eliminate bed bugs. In fact, baking soda doesnt absorb much fluids so it will not dehydrate the bed bugs.
Baking soda actually breaks down in water quite easily, so its ability to absorb thick, viscous fluids like the wax on a bed bugs shell is questionable. In addition, bed bugs dont eat dry items in their environment such as sodium bicarbonate so it cannot poison them.
Salt has been used for decades to kill pests, such as slugs and snails by absorbing fluids from their body and causing them to dehydrate.
Some people believe that salt can eliminate bed bugs in the same way it kills slugs and snails. However there is a very strong anecdotal reference that this doesnt work.
Boric acid, can be used as a natural pesticide to kill roaches, eliminate ants, and eradicate termites but it needs to be ingested by the pest. Bed bugs have piercing and sucking mouth parts, and they do not ingest material other than blood from living hosts. Hence, theres no way to get boric acid into the bed bugs stomach to kill them.
Thiamin has been reported to be a mosquito repellent but there is no strong scientific evidence to support the fact that vitamin B1 helps in repelling bed bugs.
The best way to completely eliminate bed bugs for good is to use the following methods together:
The best way to make sure that you never have any bed bug bites is to prevent bed bugs from infesting your home in the first place. Here are some top bed bug prevention tips:
Recommended reading: How to Quickly Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites
Read my other related articles:
1. How to Naturally Get Rid of Fleas From Your Home, Garden and Pets2. What Do Flea Bites on Humans Look Like?3. How to Get Rid of Wasps Naturally4. How to Get Rid of Flies Naturally5. How to Get Rid of Ants Cheaply and Naturally6. Palmetto Bug: What it is and How to Get Rid of It Quickly7. 8. How to Get Rid of Frogs The Best Natural Ways8. How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally9. 10 Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitoes10. How to Keep Snakes Away: Effective Snake Repellents
- How to Kill Bed Bugs with Alcohol : How to Kill Bed Bugs With Alcohol - September 5th, 2011 [September 5th, 2011]
- Scabies, Bedbugs and Swimmer's Itch - September 6th, 2011 [September 6th, 2011]
- bed bug treatment products - September 11th, 2011 [September 11th, 2011]
- Bed Bugs Remedy For Bed Bug Bites - September 12th, 2011 [September 12th, 2011]
- Bed Bugs vs. Predator "don't bite my baby" - September 12th, 2011 [September 12th, 2011]
- About Bed Bug Infestations - Why not hire an exterminator? - September 16th, 2011 [September 16th, 2011]
- How to Destroy Bed Bugs Quickly - September 16th, 2011 [September 16th, 2011]
- The Bed Bug Killer People are talking about - September 17th, 2011 [September 17th, 2011]
- How to Fight Bed Bugs - September 18th, 2011 [September 18th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Killer - Bed Bug Powder - September 20th, 2011 [September 20th, 2011]
- kill bed bugs yourself - September 23rd, 2011 [September 23rd, 2011]
- BED BUGS THE MOVIE starring jj giveaway - September 23rd, 2011 [September 23rd, 2011]
- Biggest Bed Bug Ever! - September 24th, 2011 [September 24th, 2011]
- Bed Bugs Spray - September 27th, 2011 [September 27th, 2011]
- The Bed Bug Patch (BBTV #55) - September 29th, 2011 [September 29th, 2011]
- About Bed Bugs - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- Disposophobia at Extreme forces Evictions - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- BEDBUGs - October 8th, 2011 [October 8th, 2011]
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011 [October 11th, 2011]
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011 [October 11th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011 [October 17th, 2011]
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011 [October 18th, 2011]
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011 [December 2nd, 2011]
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011 [December 16th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011 [December 19th, 2011]
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011 [December 20th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011 [December 26th, 2011]
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012 [January 24th, 2012]
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012 [June 18th, 2012]
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012 [July 1st, 2012]
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012 [October 3rd, 2012]
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013 [November 10th, 2013]
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013 [November 10th, 2013]
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013 [November 24th, 2013]
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013 [December 6th, 2013]
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013 [December 16th, 2013]
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013 [December 31st, 2013]
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014 [January 1st, 2014]
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014 [January 11th, 2014]
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014 [February 13th, 2014]
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014 [February 17th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014 [March 13th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014 [May 6th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014 [May 8th, 2014]
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014 [October 27th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014 [November 16th, 2014]
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014 [December 13th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014 [December 25th, 2014]
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015 [March 26th, 2015]
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015 [May 31st, 2015]
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015 [June 1st, 2015]
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015 [June 9th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015 [June 19th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015 [July 2nd, 2015]
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015 [July 3rd, 2015]
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015 [September 7th, 2015]
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015 [September 25th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015 [October 5th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018 [January 31st, 2018]
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018 [March 2nd, 2018]
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies - March 19th, 2018 [March 19th, 2018]
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018 [April 11th, 2018]
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019 [January 25th, 2019]
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019 [February 28th, 2019]
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019 [March 7th, 2019]
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019 [May 4th, 2019]
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019 [December 13th, 2019]
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020 [February 2nd, 2020]