When you notice little red bumps on your skin, its natural to wonder where they came from.
While some insect bites are more obvious than others
(think mosquitos or ticks).
Most of the time bite marks look very similar between different insects.
Here we are going to talk about 3 ways to tell the difference between bed bugs and fleas.
To begin, we will need to establish what bed bug bites look like.
Bed bug bites are known to appear as clusters of reddish-brown welts around the area of the bite.
On average, bed bugs bites start to itch within 2 3 hours after being bitten.
Both of those traits are similar with flea bites.
Knowing where the bulk of bite marks are on your body is a good indicator of whats biting you. Bed bugs will usually target the upper torso, while fleas target the lower extremities like the legs.
Because bed bugs, as the name suggests, often make their nests in or around bedding material like sheets and mattresses.
Since they often nest toward the head of the bed, bed bugs will gravitate toward the upper torso and the arms when they feed.
(Though a bed bug mattress protector could fix that).
Fleas, meanwhile, tend to target the legs.
This is because
Your legs are typically within leaping distance for fleas. They cant fly, so fleas find hosts to feed off of by jumping.
Unlike bed bugs, fleas can jump an average height of 13 inches.
Secondly, fleas rarely target humans but will feed on them if they need a new food source.
As most pet owners can attest, fleas are more at home on dogs or cats.
This is because animals are lower to the ground than us and are easier to access.
We sometimes get bitten because migratory fleas will wind up jumping from the backs of our furry friends and onto our lower limbs.
Size and color are important factors in determining any kind of insect bite. And while the differences may seem minor at first glance, there are several clues to help distinguish a flea bite from a bed bug bite.
Flea bites are smaller and usually appear bright red in color. These bites are so closely grouped together that they might even form patterns across your skin.
Bed bug bites are slightly larger, and while they still look like reddish welts, theyre not as bright red as flea bites.
Bed bug bites dont make up any complex patterns. Instead, theyre grouped together in a line or zigzag.
The feeding habits of these bugs can make a world of difference in identifying what bit you.
As mentioned earlier, bed bugs are nocturnal creatures. During the day, they gather together in secluded hiding places.
Since bed bugs rarely venture out during the day, chances are they wont seek out a meal.
In contrast, fleas dont follow a set schedule: they feed whenever they want to feed, and they travel whenever they want to travel.
Youll know right away if youre dealing with fleas because youll see them crawling along your body during the day.
(A bed bug is not likely to do that).
Aside from the coloration, there are a few shared traits between flea bites and bed bug bites. These often relate to the symptoms that accompany each bite.
Both types of bites will start to itch not long after youve been bitten.
But why dont you feel yourself being bitten in the moment?
During a feeding session, bed bugs and fleas inject saliva into the bloodstream. Their saliva contains anticoagulants to keep the blood from clotting, and antihistamines to prevent any immediate itching.
This allows them to drink human blood without incident. Once the antihistamines wear off, thats when the itching sensation begins as your body tries to fight off the other bacteria carried in the saliva.
Unfortunately, bites from both creatures can be potentially dangerous.
This is because both bed bug bites and flea bites have a chance of severe infection.
This usually occurs from excessive scratching that creates an open wound on the skin.While scratching bite marks might temporarily relieve the itching, it also keeps the wounds open and spreads lingering bacteria.
Another thing thats harmful is if you have insect-related allergies and severe reactions to insect bites. If you ever develop an allergic reaction you should seek medical attention immediately.
Flea bites will typically heal on their own within a week.
To speed up the process or alleviate symptoms, here is what you can try:
Antihistamines come in 2 forms:
Lotions: Skin lotions, like aloe vera gel and calamine lotion, can also relieve itchiness. Their cooling properties reduce swelling and inflammation, while the minerals and vitamins found in them moisturize the skin and promote healing.
Home Remedies: There are plenty of home remedies you can use to treat flea bites. Cold compresses and liquid astringents, such as witch hazel or apple cider vinegar, are 2 commonly used home treatments.
Like flea bites, bed bug bites will naturally heal after 1-2 weeks. The treatment methods for bed bug bites are also the same as the aforementioned treatments for flea bites.
Whether youre using antibiotic treatments or simple home remedies, routine treatment is an important part of the healing process.
Not only do the above treatments help your bodys immune system, they also reduce the severity of the symptoms associated with bug bites.
Reducing the effects of the symptoms means youre less likely to experience skin irritation, which reduces the risk of infection or other harmful symptoms.
Fleas and bed bugs arent the only biting insects out there. Ticks and mosquitos also view humans as a source of food and bite us to drink our blood.
Spiders, meanwhile, will only bite humans in self-defense: even then, a spiders fangs are too small to penetrate human skin.
Most spiders also lack venom strong enough to do any serious harm to humans: the most notable exceptions are black widows and brown recluses, who both have more potent venom and can be hard to get rid of.
After an insect bites you, youll notice swelling and redness around the area of the bite.
In some cases, youll see an open wound where the skin was broken. Spiders bites, for instance, will consist of 2 small puncture wounds in your skin.
Some bug bites will take on a distinct pattern. As mentioned earlier, flea bites and bed bug bites may appear in clusters or in zig-zag patterns. Ticks will leave behind a bullseye shape, with a large ring surrounding the actual bite.
skin irritation is another common symptom, as your immune system begins the process of eradicating the foreign bacteria injected by insects.
In addition to fleas and bed bugs, mosquitos also inject antihistamines and anticoagulants into the bloodstream to stave off itching and clotting while they drink.
If left untreated, bug bites will heal on their own. However, repeated itching or aggravation of the wounds can lead to serious infections; this is why scratching bug bites isnt recommended by health experts.
Both bed bugs and fleas can become a huge problem if not dealt with quickly.
The key similarities and differences between fleas and bed bugs are highlighted in the below table.
Bed Bug Bites vs. Flea Bites
If you were injured by a pest infestation in a hotel, apartment, or other location, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Submit your information for a free case evaluation today!
See more here:
Bed Bug Bites vs. Flea Bites (3 Critical Differences) - Bed Bug Lawyers
- The Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally - January 4th, 2023
- 18 Natural Home Remedies For Bed Bugs Bites - July 8th, 2022
- 6 Symptoms / Signs Of A Bed Bug Infestation - News Anyway - May 24th, 2022
- Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms and Treatments - Healthline - December 22nd, 2021
- 9 Natural Bed Bug Repellent Remedies | Terminix - October 27th, 2021
- How Long do Bed Bug Bites Last, Take to Appear, Go Away ... - October 27th, 2021
- 5 Things Hospitality Industry Needs to Know About the Bed Bug Threat - August 22nd, 2021
- Our Top 10 Methods to Handling those Annoying Pests in Your Home | Happy Healthy Food & Play It Again Sports - EndZoneScore - November 29th, 2020
- How to identify and treat bed bug bites - Insider - INSIDER - June 30th, 2020
- How to get rid of bed bugs fast and 3 signs you have an infestation - Insider - INSIDER - June 27th, 2020
- A Coast-to-Coast Tour Lands One Entomologist on the Home Team - Entomology Today - March 12th, 2020
- Survey Reveals Men More Likely Than Women To Be Very Scared Of Bugs - Study Finds - March 2nd, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - March 2nd, 2020
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019
- What Causes Itching? - Scientific Reasons Behind Why We Itch - Prevention.com - October 12th, 2019
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies - March 19th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Bug Bites that Blister: Best Remedies for Mosquito, Spider ... - June 9th, 2017
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014
- Cobrazol Research Study Scientific Poster Wins Award at Scripps 11th Annual Natural Supplements Conference - February 11th, 2014
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal: JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs (Green) - Video - November 1st, 2011
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011