Have you ever suffered from bed bug bites? Bed bugs have become a common household problem. They may occur even in the cleanest of the homes. Bed bugs are tiny insects that feed on human blood. Since human blood is the only source of their food and survival, they creep even into a home which is well looked after. They often come along with people who travel a lot. You can pick up bed bugs in your clothes or baggage while staying in hotels or guest houses or even homes of your relatives and friends. These bugs are mostly found in tropical areas but can survive even cold temperatures.
Once your home gets infested with bed bugs, these small creatures will find a place to hide and settle. Just like us, bed bugs love to recline back and enjoy the soft cushion and mattresses. The common hiding places for bed bugs include mattress, clothes, couch, furniture, cushions, etc. They can lay in your beds, along with you. They can crawl at any place, all around your house, furniture, luggage, cupboards, clothes, shoe racks, etc. In spite of regularly dusting off your home, you cannot keep the bed bugs away all the time.
Just as you may find the bed bugs in filthy beds or cushion, you can find the same in clean beds! Having bed bugs may lead to frustration and sleepless nights. Many a times, using the bed bug foggers and sprays may not be effective in eliminating bed bugs from your home and you suffer continuously due to bed bug bites.
No, bed bugs are not a medical or health hazard. They dont spread disease but they are annoying. Bed bugs may bite you at every possible instance. These bites may cause itching and loss of sleep. Sometimes itching due to bed bug bites is so severe that it may lead to excessive scratching. This often lead to secondary skin infection.
Different people get affected by bed bug bites differently. Some people wont have any physical signs of bed bug bite. Some people may get a small bite mark and some others may develop serious allergy. In case of an allergic reaction, one must consult a doctor. In all the other harmless conditions, one can use home remedies to get rid of bed bug bites.
Getting rid of bed bugs is a herculean task but learning about how to get rid of bed bug bites and a few safety measures can be really helpful in many instances.
Before looking into remedies to get rid of bed bug bites, you should know whether the itchy area is caused due to bed bug bites or not. Bed bug bites may appear instantly or after a few days of biting!
Bed bug bites, in many instances, resemble insect bites. Sometimes, mosquito bites also appear like bed bug bites. It is certainly difficult to identify or diagnose the bites merely by looking into the bitten area. However, bed bugs that make a living on humans are somewhat kinder when compared to other insects and mosquitoes.
Yes, bed bug bites show up in a unique pattern. Rarely, you can find a single inflamed red spot accompanied by itchiness as a sign of bed bug bites. In most cases, bed bug bites occur in a row or cluster form. If it is a bed bug bite, a cluster of red bumps appears on your skin.
You may not feel that you are bitten by the bed bugs. There may be no physical mark. The bitten area remains painless and theres no itching initially. However, gradually it turns itchy with small red bumps. The best and worst thing about bed bug bite is, you may develop the signs of the bites even after a week! When you scrape the itchy area the skin becomes red.
Bed bugs bite only on the exposed areas of your skin. You can be bitten on face, neck, arms, feet, and other exposed areas of your body. Unlike mosquito bite, bed bug bites rarely or never occur on the back, skin folds or knees.
A survey was conducted by The University of Kentucky Entomologists about the reactions related to bed bug bites. The survey was conducted among a group of people who lived in the heavily infested bed bug dwellings in the United States. The findings of the survey tell us the following facts:
Bed bug bites were seen only on the skin exposed areas as the bugs were unable to invade the layers of clothing of the victims.
In many instances, bed bug bites dont need any specific medical treatment. In fact, the red bumps resolve on their own, thanks to the bodys natural fighting ability. However, if you so insist, you can treat and get rid of the bed bug bites in many simple ways.
Taking immediate action soon after noticing a bite mark in the form of red bumps can prevent further aggravation of itchiness and swelling. When you notice bed bug bites, just do the following:
Wash the area thoroughly with water.
Immediately washing the bed bug bites prevents further infection and reduces aggravation of the symptoms.
Washing the bites is the first thing you should do to get rid of bed bug bites. Based on the symptoms you experience, you can proceed with other steps to treat the bites.
Scratching the affected area increases swelling and may spread skin infection. It also leads to severe irritation of the skin. When it comes to reducing itchiness, there are a lot of home remedies available. Following are some of the most effective home remedies you can try to reduce the itchiness due to bed bug bites.
If you are thinking why you should focus on treating itchiness caused by bed bug bites before addressing the bite issue itself, here are some reasons for you:
Bed bug bite is a social concern! Yes, when you say, you were bitten by bed bugs, people look at you and analyze cleanliness and hygiene issues of your home. It is a common misconception that bed bugs are found only in the dirt or tainted atmosphere. Fact is bed bugs can be anywhere but before you explain this to people, they jump to the conclusion that your house is not clean.
When you ignore itchiness, it may worsen. Not only it will develop itchy rashes (you cannot control yourself from itching) but also affect your daily activities.
It affects your mental health as you may lose focus on your daily work or other activity. You always keep on itching (and think of how to get rid of bed bugs!)This may sound superficial yet enquire those who suffer from any itchy skin condition. It is rather painful and troublesome than any injury.
Turmeric contains antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Literally, you can apply turmeric on the insect bites to reduce the risk of spreading infection and inflammation. Turmeric gets quickly absorbed into the skin. Turmeric not only reduces the itchiness, but also treats the bed bug bite by curing tiny red bumps and inflammation of the skin.
You can make the turmeric paste in two ways to get rid of bed bug bite.
It is a yesteryear practice to rub the rhizome of turmeric on a wet stone, extract the turmeric paste and apply it on the skin, still followed by women in many villages of Asian countries. This is the best way to get the pure form of turmeric paste.
You can use fresh or dried rhizome. Fresh rhizome have mild aroma and doesnt leave the dark yellow stain on skin.
Baking soda is one of the oldest home remedies skin problems like irritations and itchiness. Baking soda soothes skin and reduces the irritation, which in turn alleviates itchiness of the skin. Rubbing baking soda on the skin also removes dead skin cells.
After washing the bitten area, massage it with ice cubes to reduce the irritation and itchiness. Applying cold compress or ice wrap constricts blood vessels, cools down the targeted area and prevents aggravation of symptoms.
In some cases, mere application of ice cubes or cold compress also reduce the redness of the bumps and aid as an effective treatment to get rid of bed big bites.
Precaution: Dont apply ice cubes direct on the skin.
While ice therapy reduces inflammation, heat therapy reduces pain. Applying heat dilates blood vessels and eases away the pain associated with bed bug bites.
If you apply heat and cold therapy, or any therapy, make sure to wash the skin again with running water and pat it dry.
Aloe vera is a natural cooling herb. It also contains anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. Applying the fresh aloe vera gel on affected spot provides instant relief from the itchiness caused by bed bug bites. It also soothes the skin and reduces redness as well as inflammation.
If you suffer from severe itchiness with or without irritation and the red bumps, just go for sandalwood powder. Sandalwood cools down the dry, irritated and itchy skin. You can find relief from the itchiness in no time.
The procedure to make the sandalwood paste is similar to the turmeric paste.
Even if you dont have any other ingredients at your home or cant find them immediately, you will certainly have toothpaste. Toothpaste is favored by many girls who use it to get rid of acne bumps. Toothpaste contains menthol or other such cooling ingredients. This reduces the irritation quickly. It also dries out the skin. Alternatively, you can also use a mouth freshener to heal the bed bug bites.
The above mentioned home remedies prevent itchiness of the bed bug bites. If the bites are mild and only a small part of the skin is affected, many can get rid of the bites with the above mentioned remedies.
If you are not sure about when you were bitten by the bed bugs or find the bed bug bites too painful and experience discomfort, try the following things to get rid of bed bug bites.
Soon after reducing the itchiness, you can try to get rid of the bed bug bites quickly with some simple natural remedies.
One of the simple, quick and easy ways to get rid of bed bug bites is using onion. Onions contain sulfur and chemicals that can neutralize the adverse reaction caused due to bug bites. Onions has the power to pull out the toxins from the body and it also acts as a blood purifier.
Intake of onions is one of the folk remedies for insect bites. However, you need the shallots, not the regular pink or white onions. Just eat two or three pods of shallots raw.
Astringents are good for your skin. It has a lot of benefits to the skin. Astringents shrink the pores, tighten the skin, make the skin soft and smooth, remove the dirt and debris off the skin and even reduce inflammation of the skin. Natural astringents make the best bet for rashes, bumps and irritated skin much like that results from bed bug bites.
There are many natural astringents available to cure bed bug bites. In fact, using astringents on skin provides fast relief from bed bug bites.
The healing properties of lemon on the skin are very popular. Lemon is one of the miraculous ingredient that can do wonders to your skin. Applying lemon juice on the bites quickly dries out the area and reduces skin irritation. In addition, lemons also contain antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which prevent infection.
Squeeze a fresh lemon and apply the fresh lemon juice on the bites. Alternatively, you can also rub the sliced lemon on bites.
Precaution: Remember to avoid sun exposure when you use lemon. Lemon makes your skin more susceptible to sunburn.
In addition to the astringent properties, apple cider vinegar also contains acetic acid and anti-inflammatory properties. If you dont have apple cider vinegar, you can use the plain vinegar.
Calamine lotion comes handy to treat skin rashes and irritation. It dries the rashes in the affected spots and soothes the irritated skin. Apply calamine lotion on the bites 3 to 4 times a day. You can find quick relief from redness of the skin, bumps, irritation and itching. Upon regular application, in a day or two, your skin will turn normal with no traces of the bites as long as the bites are mild or minor.
It is an ancient remedy used to heal many skin conditions, bites and rashes. In fact, people used to take mud bath by covering themselves with mud or red soil as a therapy to rejuvenate the body. Mud therapy replenishes the body as well as skin. You can try this simple technique to get rid of the bed bug bites fast.
Red soil may dry out very quickly, faster than mud. So, when you use red soil, wrap the soil in a thin cloth, wet the cloth and apply it on the affected spot.
Salt is a natural antibacterial ingredient and protects your skin from infection. It is also a good exfoliator, which removes the dead skin cells.
Take some crystal salt and rub it on the affected area. It provides quick relief from the pain and stingy sensation. Besides, it also heals the rashes and inflammation.
Pink salt and black salt are more effective on skin. If you dont have these handy, go for crystal salt used for cooking.
When it comes to medicinal properties of essential oils, tea tree oil tops the list! Loaded with antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties, tea tree oil is one of the most effective and trusted solution to get rid of bed bug bites. It makes a promising remedy for many skin problems. Applying tea tree oil also reduces allergic reaction.
Use carrier oil or water to dilute the tea tree oil before you apply it on the infected area.
Precaution: Since tea tree oil is very powerful, direct application without using any carrier should be avoided.
In addition to the topical remedies to get rid of the bed bug bites, you should also make your body resist the infection and heal it from internally. This is one of the promising folklore remedy that can increase bodys natural ability to fight the infectious bites and aftermath effects.
It may be very sharp and peppery inside your mouth. Those who suffer from insect bites, (also includes bed bug bites) may save themselves from the toxic effect of insect bites and get complete relief.
The key ingredient in this remedy is black pepper. There is a famous proverb in folklore.
If you have ten black peppercorns, you can enjoy a feast hosted even by your rival!
The effectiveness of the home remedies and natural solutions for the bed bug bites rely greatly on your immune system.
OTC Medicines to get rid of Bed Bug BitesIf you are too busy to try some natural remedies, you can try the following solutions for bed bug bites.
Oral antihistamines are anti-allergens and can prevent the infection as well as allergic reaction.
Precaution: It is recommended not to use any other oral antihistamines without getting consultation from a physician.
Topical antihistamines are available in many local stores and medical shops. If you have allergic reactions, you can apply the topical antihistamines. If it doesnt get better in a day or two, consult your doctor.
To get rid of swelling, pain and irritation, you can take antibiotics, available as OTC drugs. Always prefer topical antibiotics over the oral drugs. Oral antibiotics may affect your body if you use it frequently.
If you dont find any improvement or find development of rashes as well as swelling, visit a doctor immediately.
When you suddenly notice bed bug bites during your stay outdoors, say camping, you may not get many products used as home remedies handy to get rid of these bites.
Dont panic and dont just try all solutions available to get rid of bed bug bites. Go gentle, wash the bites and apply some moisturizing lotion or cream on the bitten spot. Applying some topical home remedies as mentioned above can improve the condition quickly. So, you can safely go with ice compress or apply turmeric as a first-aid treatment.
Yes, it may turn dangerous in kids to some extent. Kids and toddlers cannot stop themselves from scratching the bitten area. It could lead to inflammation, spreading of rashes and some kind of secondary skin infection. In addition, the skin of the children is very delicate and extremely soft.
So, if you dont find the itchiness, redness and swelling getting improved in a few hours, dont delay visiting a doctor. Your doctor may prescribe an oral or topical antibiotic or antihistamine (anti-allergy medicine).
If your child has any pre-existing health condition, bed bug bites may worsen it if you dont get appropriate treatment on.
Dont give any medicine or apply any anti-itch creams to your childs skin without doctors prescription. In most cases, the symptoms vanish in a couple of days causing no discomfort.
Bed bug bites arent really dangerous in many instances. But chances of allergic reactions and secondary skin infections are always there. So, make sure you get some treatment or stick to some home remedy immediately after you notice bed bug bites.
Originally posted here:
How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies
- The Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally - January 4th, 2023
- Bed Bug Bites vs. Flea Bites (3 Critical Differences) - Bed Bug Lawyers - January 4th, 2023
- 18 Natural Home Remedies For Bed Bugs Bites - July 8th, 2022
- 6 Symptoms / Signs Of A Bed Bug Infestation - News Anyway - May 24th, 2022
- Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms and Treatments - Healthline - December 22nd, 2021
- 9 Natural Bed Bug Repellent Remedies | Terminix - October 27th, 2021
- How Long do Bed Bug Bites Last, Take to Appear, Go Away ... - October 27th, 2021
- 5 Things Hospitality Industry Needs to Know About the Bed Bug Threat - August 22nd, 2021
- Our Top 10 Methods to Handling those Annoying Pests in Your Home | Happy Healthy Food & Play It Again Sports - EndZoneScore - November 29th, 2020
- How to identify and treat bed bug bites - Insider - INSIDER - June 30th, 2020
- How to get rid of bed bugs fast and 3 signs you have an infestation - Insider - INSIDER - June 27th, 2020
- A Coast-to-Coast Tour Lands One Entomologist on the Home Team - Entomology Today - March 12th, 2020
- Survey Reveals Men More Likely Than Women To Be Very Scared Of Bugs - Study Finds - March 2nd, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - March 2nd, 2020
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019
- What Causes Itching? - Scientific Reasons Behind Why We Itch - Prevention.com - October 12th, 2019
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Bug Bites that Blister: Best Remedies for Mosquito, Spider ... - June 9th, 2017
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014
- Cobrazol Research Study Scientific Poster Wins Award at Scripps 11th Annual Natural Supplements Conference - February 11th, 2014
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal: JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs (Green) - Video - November 1st, 2011
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011