We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Bedbugs are small insects that feed on blood from humans or animals. They can live in your bed, furniture, carpet, clothing, and other belongings. Theyre most active at night, feeding on people while they sleep.
Bedbugs can be 1 to 7 millimeters long. Theyre flat, oval-shaped, and reddish-brown in color. They dont have wings, so they rely on animals or humans to carry them from one place to another.
Although bedbug bites are rarely dangerous, they can be very itchy. In some cases, they become infected or cause an allergic reaction.
If you suspect there are bedbugs living in your home, its important to get rid of them.
Some people dont develop noticeable symptoms from bedbug bites. When symptoms do develop, the bites tend to be:
Bedbugs can bite any part of your body. But theyll usually bite areas of skin that are exposed while you sleep, such as your face, neck, arms, and hands. In some cases, the bites may develop into fluid-filled blisters.
If a bedbug bites your skin, you wont feel it right away because the bugs excrete a tiny amount of anesthetic before feeding on people. It can sometimes take a few days for symptoms of bed bug bites to develop.
Bedbug bites often become noticeably red and swollen. Multiple bites may appear in a line or cluster in a small area of your body. The bites tend to be itchy. They may cause a burning sensation.
If you have bedbugs living in your home, they may not feed every single night. In fact, they can go multiple days without eating. It might take a few weeks to realize that the bites are part of a larger pattern.
Scratching bug bites can cause them to bleed or become infected. Learn more about the symptoms of an infected bug bite.
If you suspect there are bedbugs in your home, look for signs of them in your bed and other areas. For example, they often hide in:
You may see the bugs themselves. You may also find drops of blood or small black dots of bug droppings in your bed. If you find bedbugs, call your landlord or a pest control company.
To contain and eliminate the infestation, it helps to:
Several insecticides are also available to kill bedbugs. A pest control company may have access to insecticides or equipment that might be difficult for you to buy, rent, or use on your own. Find more tips for managing bedbug infestations and learn when to call a professional.
In most cases, bedbug bites get better within one to two weeks. To relieve symptoms, it may help to:
In rare cases, bedbug bites can cause allergic reactions. If you develop signs or symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, call 911.
Sometimes, bedbug bites can cause an infection known as cellulitis. To reduce the risk of infection, wash the bites with soap and water and try not to scratch them. Learn when its time to visit your doctor for treatment.
In addition to over-the-counter medications, there are several home remedies that may help relieve the symptoms of bedbug bites.
To soothe bitten areas, it may help to apply one or more of the following:
Although more research is needed, some studies suggest that camphor oil, chamomile oil, or some other types of essential oil may help relieve bug bites. Take a moment to learn more about seven essential oils that might help treat bites.
If you suspect that your baby or child has been bitten by bedbugs, check their sheets, mattress, bed frame, and nearby baseboards for signs of the bugs.
To treat bedbug bites on your baby or child, wash the bites with soap and water. Consider applying a cold compress or calamine lotion.
Talk to your childs doctor or pharmacist before using topical steroid creams or oral antihistamines to treat the bites. Some medications may not be safe for babies or young children.
If your child is old enough to understand your instructions, ask them not to scratch the bites. To prevent scratching, it may also help to trim your childs nails and cover the bites with a bandage.
Bedbug bites and fleabites are quite similar in appearance. Both can cause red bumps to form on your skin. Both can be very itchy.
When fleas bite you, they typically bite the lower half or your body or warm, moist areas around joints. For example, they may bite:
Bedbugs are more likely to bite upper parts of your body, such as your:
If you suspect that bedbugs or fleas have bitten you, check for signs of the bugs in your home. Bedbugs often hide in the seams of mattresses, cracks of bed frames and headboards, and baseboards around beds. Fleas tend to live on family pets and in carpet or upholstered furniture.
If you find bedbugs or fleas, its important to treat your home or pet to get rid of them. Get the information you need to identify and treat infestations of these pests.
Bedbug bites and mosquito bites can both be red, swollen, and itchy. If you have a line of bites that appear in a small area of your body, theyre more likely to be bedbug bites. Bites that appear in no apparent pattern are more likely to be mosquito bites.
Both bedbug bites and mosquito bites tend to get better on their own, within a week or two. To relieve itching and other symptoms, it may help to apply a cold compress, calamine lotion, or other topical treatments. Taking an oral antihistamine can help as well.
Its also possible to confuse bedbug bites with spider bites, ant bites, or other insect bites. Find out more about the differences between these types of bites.
Sometimes, people mistake hives for bedbug bites. Hives are red bumps that can develop on your skin as a result of an allergic reaction or other cause. Like bedbug bites, theyre often itchy.
If you develop red bumps on your skin that get larger, change shape, or spread from one part of your body to another in a short period of time, theyre more likely to be hives.
A small group or line of bumps that appear on one part of your body without changing shape or location are more likely to be bedbug bites.
If you develop hives along with breathing difficulties, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting, get medical help right away. You might be experiencing anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Learn more about anaphylaxis and other potential causes of hives.
Spider bites can be red and itchy, much like bedbug bites. But unlike bedbugs, spiders rarely bite more than once. If you only have one bite on your body, its probably not from bedbugs.
Spider bites often take longer to heal than other types of bug bites. Some spider bites can cause serious damage to your skin, especially if they get infected. To reduce the risk of infection, wash any bug bites with soap and water.
Some spiders are poisonous. If you suspect a poisonous spider has bitten you, get medical help right away.
Bedbugs can live in any home or public area. But theyre common in places that have a lot of people, a lot of turnover, and close quarters. You may be at increased risk for encountering bedbugs if you live or work in a:
Unlike some types of bugs, bedbugs dont transmit diseases when they bite. But in some cases, bedbug bites can become infected. Potential signs and symptoms of an infection include:
If have a bedbug allergy, you may also develop an allergic reaction after being bitten. This may cause painful swelling or intense itching around the bite. In some cases, it can also trigger a potentially life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis.
If you suspect that youve developed an infection or allergic reaction to a bedbug bite, contact your doctor. Get emergency medical care if you develop any of the following after being bitten:
Bedbugs dont just bite humans. They can also feed on family pets.
If you have a pet whos been bitten by bedbugs, the bites will likely get better on their own. But in some cases, they might become infected. Make an appointment with a veterinarian if you suspect your pet has an infected bite.
If you hire a pest control expert to get rid of bedbugs in your home, let them know if you have a pet. Some insecticides may be safer for your pet than others. Its also important to wash your pets bed, stuffed toys, and other accessories where bedbugs may be living.
Here is the original post:
Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms and Treatments - Healthline
- How to Kill Bed Bugs with Alcohol : How to Kill Bed Bugs With Alcohol - September 5th, 2011 [September 5th, 2011]
- Scabies, Bedbugs and Swimmer's Itch - September 6th, 2011 [September 6th, 2011]
- bed bug treatment products - September 11th, 2011 [September 11th, 2011]
- Bed Bugs Remedy For Bed Bug Bites - September 12th, 2011 [September 12th, 2011]
- Bed Bugs vs. Predator "don't bite my baby" - September 12th, 2011 [September 12th, 2011]
- About Bed Bug Infestations - Why not hire an exterminator? - September 16th, 2011 [September 16th, 2011]
- How to Destroy Bed Bugs Quickly - September 16th, 2011 [September 16th, 2011]
- The Bed Bug Killer People are talking about - September 17th, 2011 [September 17th, 2011]
- How to Fight Bed Bugs - September 18th, 2011 [September 18th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Killer - Bed Bug Powder - September 20th, 2011 [September 20th, 2011]
- kill bed bugs yourself - September 23rd, 2011 [September 23rd, 2011]
- BED BUGS THE MOVIE starring jj giveaway - September 23rd, 2011 [September 23rd, 2011]
- Biggest Bed Bug Ever! - September 24th, 2011 [September 24th, 2011]
- Bed Bugs Spray - September 27th, 2011 [September 27th, 2011]
- The Bed Bug Patch (BBTV #55) - September 29th, 2011 [September 29th, 2011]
- About Bed Bugs - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- Disposophobia at Extreme forces Evictions - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- BEDBUGs - October 8th, 2011 [October 8th, 2011]
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011 [October 11th, 2011]
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011 [October 11th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011 [October 17th, 2011]
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011 [October 18th, 2011]
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011 [December 2nd, 2011]
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011 [December 16th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011 [December 19th, 2011]
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011 [December 20th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011 [December 26th, 2011]
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012 [January 24th, 2012]
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012 [June 18th, 2012]
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012 [July 1st, 2012]
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012 [October 3rd, 2012]
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013 [November 10th, 2013]
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013 [November 10th, 2013]
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013 [November 24th, 2013]
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013 [December 6th, 2013]
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013 [December 16th, 2013]
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013 [December 31st, 2013]
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014 [January 1st, 2014]
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014 [January 11th, 2014]
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014 [February 13th, 2014]
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014 [February 17th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014 [March 13th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014 [May 6th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014 [May 8th, 2014]
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014 [August 23rd, 2014]
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014 [October 27th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014 [November 16th, 2014]
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014 [December 13th, 2014]
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014 [December 25th, 2014]
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015 [March 26th, 2015]
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015 [May 31st, 2015]
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015 [June 1st, 2015]
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015 [June 9th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015 [June 19th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015 [July 2nd, 2015]
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015 [July 3rd, 2015]
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015 [September 7th, 2015]
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015 [September 25th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015 [October 5th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016 [June 21st, 2016]
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018 [January 31st, 2018]
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018 [March 2nd, 2018]
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies - March 19th, 2018 [March 19th, 2018]
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018 [April 11th, 2018]
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019 [January 25th, 2019]
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019 [February 28th, 2019]
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019 [March 7th, 2019]
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019 [May 4th, 2019]
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019 [December 13th, 2019]
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020 [February 2nd, 2020]