Courtesy ofCBC.ca Market Place, this article resumes the basics of bed bugs and the Canadian law by province.
Responsibility for bedbug infestations and covering costs of extermination is often a battleground for tenants and landlords. Laws vary across Canada, and because bedbugs have just recently become an increasing problem many provinces and municipalities don't have legislation outlining who is responsible. In many regions, tenants must bring specific cases before a landlord-tenant arbitrator, and often, they hinge on proving who brought the bedbugs in. This tends to be a difficult process, because the initial source of bed bugs is often hard to prove.
Tenants and landlords can consult individuallocal or provincial landlord-tenant agenciesfor recommendations.
InNewfoundland and Labrador, landlords and tenants with bedbugs are advised to work out a resolution themselves. If a resolution can't be met, a mediation process may be conducted by a residential tenancy branch.
InNova Scotia, Halifax doesn't have clear-cut legislation for dealing with bedbugs. Responsibility for extermination falls upon the tenant if a landlord can prove a tenant brought the bugs in. The Halifax agency has found that landlords often foot the bill as it's difficult to prove there were no bugs before a tenant moves in. Tenants are advised to write a letter to a landlord asking to deal with the problem within a reasonable timeframe. If the landlord refuses, a hearing can be conducted in front of the officer of residential tenancies.
InPrince Edward Island, thedirector of residential propertydeals with individual cases of tenants with bedbugs.
New Brunswick'srental and consumer affairs departmentinvestigates cases for tenants with bedbugs, as the province doesn't have specific bedbug legislation. The department will order a landlord to pay if the tenants can prove they didn't bring the bedbugs with them when they moved.
InQuebec, Montreal tenants are often responsible for getting rid of bedbugs, unless they have proof they didn't bring them with a move. However, it's the landlord's responsibility to make sure the infestation doesn't spread.
Ontariolaws don't cover begbug infestations, but, like most other provinces, the landlord-tenant act states a landlord is responsible for keeping a dwelling safe and healthy, while the tenant must maintain "ordinary cleanliness". The landlord-tenant agency recommends landlords take action for bedbug infestations, as there is no by-law in place. In most cases, the agency has found most landlords are more than willing to foot the bill for exterminators as they don't want infestations to spread.
InManitoba, pest control falls under municipal by-laws or the province's public health act. Generally, landlords are required to get rid of pests such as rodents, cockroaches and bedbugs, while tenants must keep dwellings reasonably clean and uncluttered to keep infestations from spreading.
Alberta'spublic health act and housing regulationsrequire a landlord to provide a tenant with a healthy and habitable environment. A tenant with bedbugs is advised to report the dwelling to the regional health authority. Health inspectors will then assess the problem and in most cases order the landlord to take care of it.
Saskatchewan's landlord-tenant act doesn't specify who's responsible for dealing with bedbug infestations. Each case is brought before a hearing with an arbitrator. Often, if the tenant can prove the bugs were on the premises before they moved in, the arbitrator will order the landlord to pay for an exterminator.
InBritish Columbia, Vancouver's residential tenancy act states the landlord must provide a safe and healthy rental unit. While it doesn't specifically mention bedbugs, Vancouver'shealth by-lawstates that the landlord is responsible for treating bedbug infestations. Bedbugs are becoming a large problem in Vancouver. TheTenants Rights Action Coalitionis a place tenants can go for further information.
Here is the original post:
Bed bugs and Canadian Law Bed Bug SOS
- 'Canada's Top Bed Bug Cities' Have Been Revealed & Montreal Isn't Even Top 10 - mtlblog.com - July 20th, 2021
- This Map Shows You The Exact Location Of All Of The Bed Bug Infestations In Montreal - MTL Blog - July 20th, 2021
- Montreal Issues Warning For Bed Bug Infestation - MTL Blog - July 20th, 2021
- This Montreal Apartment Complex Is So Infested With Cockroaches And Rats That The Public Health Department Had To Step In - MTL Blog - July 20th, 2021
- As tenants suffer in Pandemic, the Quebec government must take action to control rent - The Suburban Newspaper - November 28th, 2020
- The cause and treatment for bedbugs | CAA-Quebec Residential - July 21st, 2020
- 7 types of bug bites Canadians can expect this summer ... - July 21st, 2020
- Exterminating bed bugs | Gouvernement du Qubec - Quebec - May 18th, 2020
- The Cost Of Taking Groceries For Granted: Canadas Food Labour Bill Is Coming Due - Chatelaine - May 4th, 2020
- 'Papa, are we going to leave?' So many families facing eviction in Parc-Extension - Montreal Gazette - February 21st, 2020
- Inuit say airport hotel is inhospitable, unsuitable for housing the sick - CTV News - January 10th, 2020
- Advenir at Cherry Creek South - 14 Photos & 10 Reviews ... - May 17th, 2019
- Home - Regionex Extermination Inc - April 29th, 2019
- Allergo-Medik, Canadian manufacturer of Medical-grade Anti ... - April 8th, 2019
- ELI5 What keeps bed bugs in check? Why haven't they taken ... - March 30th, 2019
- Fort Worth TX Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - March 6th, 2019
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like (53 PICTURES OF BED BUGS) - January 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs? - Review of Sofitel Montreal Golden Mile ... - November 24th, 2018
- How to kill bed bugs using steam (FAQs) - Bedbugger.com - August 14th, 2018
- Quebec City Bed Bug Issues: Bed Bugs in Quebec City, QC - July 27th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Learn About DIY Treatments - June 25th, 2018
- What we need to know about bed bugs | ccpsc.qc.ca - November 29th, 2017
- Bed bugs that proliferate - The Sherbrooke Times - August 11th, 2017
- Not allowed on the grass, not in the fields - The Sherbrooke Times - August 8th, 2017
- Home | Let's fight bedbugs - June 24th, 2017
- Bed Bug Facts: Where Do Bed Bugs Come From? - Orkin Canada - June 5th, 2017
- The latest news from Britain and around the world - Manchester Evening News - February 6th, 2017
- How Do You Get Rid of Bed Bugs for Good? Home Remedies and ... - December 27th, 2016
- Walmart Bed Bugs Report Prompts Company To Trash Scooters ... - December 8th, 2016
- Fighting Bed Bugs in Qubec - February 28th, 2015
- Can you get sued for leaving a bad review on Trip Advisor or Yelp? (+video) - November 20th, 2014
- TripAdvisor: a history of complaints - November 19th, 2014
- How are bed bugs spread? - November 3rd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Reported in Hotel Clarion Quebec, Quebec City - June 7th, 2014
- How to kill bed bugs using steam (FAQs) Got bed bugs ... - June 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites or Mosquito Bites? Got Bed Bugs ... - June 2nd, 2014
- Qubec Bed Bug - April 15th, 2014
- MontrealK9 - March 14th, 2014
- quebec Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - bed bug news ... - February 25th, 2014
- quebec Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - February 6th, 2014
- Hotel Quebec Sues Laurent Azoulay, Guest, Over Bad ... - January 24th, 2014
- BEDBUGS - Globe Pest Control Ltd - January 12th, 2014
- Pest Control Canada – Bed Bugs - January 10th, 2014
- Bed Bug Story - Bad Bed Bugs - January 6th, 2014
- bed bug bites, photos — Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - January 5th, 2014
- Bed Bug Control Products – Pest Control Canada - December 20th, 2013
- quebec — Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - November 27th, 2013
- Hotel Quebec Sues Laurent Azoulay, Guest, Over Bad TripAdvisor ... - November 25th, 2013
- Hotel sues guest for posting review on TripAdvisor about bed bugs - November 17th, 2013
- Hotel Sues Guest for 95K over Bad Review, Bedbugs – SweetIQ Blog - November 15th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Invade New Brunswick Hospital - November 14th, 2013
- Hotel Sues Guest for 95K over Bad Review, Bedbugs - SweetIQ Blog - November 9th, 2013
- Hotel sues guest for posting review on TripAdvisor about bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Hotel Quebec Sues Laurent Azoulay, Guest, Over Bad TripAdvisor Review - November 3rd, 2013