Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
As bed bug infestations become more common in Columbus and Bloomington, Indiana, landlords should pay special attention to their properties. According to the 2015 Bugs without Borders survey, rental units and condominiums remain the most common places for bed bugs to take up residence. And Indiana state law requires landlords to deliver their premises to tenants in habitable condition. Federal law also requires agents and owners of HUD housing maintain their premises in a decent, safe, sanitary condition. This means if bed bugs, rodents, or other pests invade your property, the propertys owner needs to address it.
Indiana state code IC 32-31-8-5 states A landlord shall do the following: (1) Deliver the rental premises to a tenant in compliance with the rental agreement, and in a safe, clean, and habitable condition. Notice the word deliver. In Indiana, state law does not require landlords to keep their tenants properties in habitable condition; it only requires that landlords deliver their premises in such condition. If a bed bug or other infestation occurs, the landlord is therefore not responsible for eradicating the pests if its stated in the rental agreement that the tenant is responsible for maintaining the property. If, for some reason, the landlord introduced the pests, the responsibility for killing the pests would, of course, fall on the landlord.
For single-tenant rentals, distinguishing who introduced the bed bugs is fairly easy. If there were no bed bugs before a tenant arrived and a year or more later bed bugs infested the premises, its logical to conclude the tenant introduced the pest. However, for multiple-unit rentals, figuring out who introduced a pest becomes problematic.
In multi-unit rentals, tenants are continually coming and going. It can be difficult to pin down who introduced a pest and when. If the landlord cannot prove that an individual tenant introduced bed bugs, it might very well fall on the landlord to hire a professional to kill the pests.
Killing bed bugs in a multi-unit facility without bickering over who introduced them is a good practice, anyway. As a landlord, you do not want a bed bug infestation spreading. An infestation will drive tenants out, and rumor might keep new tenants from moving in, even if the bed bugs are treated.
Landlords will also likely be responsible for paying to destroy bed bugs if there has been a history of bed bugs in a given unit, even if it is a single-tenant dwelling. Bed bugs are notoriously difficult to kill, and they have been growing resistant to insecticides. Sometimes it takes multiple treatments to eradicate a bed bug population.
For these reasons, its important to contact a pest control expert if you suspect an infestation. Professionals know how to identify bed bugs, and they can identify which treatment option will best kill pests in your property.
Federal regulations require more of owners and agents of HUD housing than does the Indiana State Code of landlords. In a 2012 notice, the Acting Assistant Secretary for Housing Carol J. Galante informed HUD owners and agents of their responsibility to treat bed bug infestations.
Notice H 2012-5 states:
Pursuant to 24 CFR Part 5, Subpart G, HUD housing must be decent, safe, sanitary and in good repair. Owners of HUD-insured or assisted housing must maintain such housing in a manner that meets physical condition standards. In accordance with project Regulatory Agreements and Section 8 HAP Contracts, the housing must have no evidence of infestation.
HUD owners are therefore required to take care of bed bug or other pest infestations. This, however, does not necessarily mean that the owner-agent must always foot the bill for extermination. The requirements simply put urgency on addressing the infestation. Who pays for the pest control service is determined by who introduced the pest. As mentioned, it can be difficult to determine who introduced bed bugs in multifamily units.
Because bed bugs are spreading, the notice suggests that HUD owners and agents create an integrated pest management (IPM) plan to prevent infestations before they begin. An IPM plan includes steps to educate tenants, stop infestations before they occur, respond to possible infestations, and following up on treatments.
Many pest control companies also offer pest protection plans, which HUD owners might want to consider. These plans involve regularly scheduled inspections and service, which can prevent infestations before they arise.
Photo courtesy of John Benson, Moving Out.
Addressing bed bug infestations is important because ramifications for ignoring an issue can be severe. For example, tenants might withhold or reduce their rent payment if a landlord does not respond in adequate time. They may also go ahead and hire outside company to conduct service and then deduct the cost from their rent.
Worse, the tenant might contact local authorities if you do not respond in a timely manner. If inspectors then come and find an infestation, they can issue an order for you to fix the problem and penalize your company. Worse, if the problem is pervasive and disturbs tenants ability to live in the building, the tenant can legally move out without notice. At that point, they might file a lawsuit.
When your tenant says, bed bugs, its important to respond without delay. Figure out later who will pay the bill. Protect your property and keep your tenants happy by killing bed bugs before they spread.
Go here to read the rest:
Rentals, HUD, and Laws About Bed Bug Treatment - Yes Pest ...
- Illinois And Wisconsin Disagree On The Most Hated Bug - 1440wrok.com - April 13th, 2021
- Bed bugs: A home remedy could deter the creepy crawlies from infesting your home - Express - October 21st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - The Ridgefield Press - August 2nd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 31st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Fairfield Citizen - July 30th, 2020
- 'You want us to eat this s***?' J.R. Smith and Joel Embiid join NBA players blasting 'airline' meals - Armenian Reporter - July 13th, 2020
- WNBA working with players on housing concerns in Florida - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Indianapolis, Indiana Bed Bug Reports - June 9th, 2020
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators in Indianapolis, IN 2020 - June 9th, 2020
- Indiana Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - February 23rd, 2020
- This City Has the Worst Bed Bug Infestation in America - Reader's Digest - January 30th, 2020
- Smithereen Pest Management Services - Bug Extermination - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Pest Control in Central Indiana | Freedom Pest ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Lawyer's bed bugs close Oklahoma courthouse - National ... - March 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Allen County Department of Health - November 17th, 2018
- Indiana Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Indianapolis, Carmel, Kokomo - December 28th, 2017
- Indiana, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 15th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health - August 12th, 2017
- Accidental Therapists: - PCT Magazine - July 27th, 2017
- Ticks and bedbugs worry health department - Batesville Herald Tribune - July 24th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - SFGate - SFGate - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Lake Michigan beaches to keep birds away - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- Free Fair drawing closer - Newsexaminer - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control - Indiana Pest Control - June 16th, 2017
- Hostel Surroundings - Kokomo Perspective - June 16th, 2017
- Avoid the Biting Burden of Bed Bugs This Summer - PR Newswire (press release) - June 5th, 2017
- Indianapolis Pest Control Pros Identify Bed Bugs In ... - March 2nd, 2017
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When Shopping for Clothing ... - February 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs From a San Francisco Hotel - hotels.about.com - December 29th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Muncie Indiana - May 2nd, 2016
- Indiana Pest Control | Indianapolis, Carmel & Kokomo ... - April 12th, 2016
- Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the ... - April 3rd, 2016
- Lafayette Bed Bug Control | Lafayette Exterminator | Indiana - March 16th, 2016
- Bed bugs life cycle - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs in Cincinnati (including regional area) - March 7th, 2016
- Signs of Bed Bugs on Sheets | eHow - March 7th, 2016
- Indy holds tight on bed bugs list - January 24th, 2015
- Does Purdue University Have Bed Bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- Hey, I'm in Indiana: Bed Bugs are on Satan's Team - November 20th, 2014
- Monroe Countys bedbug problem is far from over, experts ... - November 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatments Indianapolis, IN | 317-520-9800 - July 7th, 2014
- Avoid hitchhiking bed bugs during summer travels - July 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. - Real ... - March 18th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Antique Auto Repair Geneva IL 60134 ... - February 22nd, 2014
- Indianapolis Pest Control | Bed Bugs Indianapolis - January 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Indiana | Alert Bed Bug Detection Agency | Bed Bugs Ohio - January 16th, 2014
- Fort Wayne Pest Control | Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs - January 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - December 26th, 2013
- Battling bed bug epidemic - December 22nd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Found in Indiana Apartment Complex, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help ... - December 19th, 2013
- Parents worry about bed bugs in Arlington High School - December 12th, 2013
- Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bug Dogs In Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Louisville And IN ... - November 27th, 2013
- Indiana Apartment Association - Bed_Bugs - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis, Indiana ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Plague - Bed Bugs Are Back - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Termites - Gold Seal - November 3rd, 2013
- Power Over Pests, Bed Bugs & Termites | Terminix - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Dog | Bed Bug Inspectors - Bed Bugs Chicago - November 3rd, 2013
- ISDH: Bed Bugs - In - November 3rd, 2013
- Cincinnati Still #2 In Nation For Bed Bugs - June 12th, 2012
- Clark Arms residents dealing with bed bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Cincinnati Sees Decline in Bed Bug Infestation - March 15th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Infest Indiana Children's Hospital! - February 14th, 2012
- Bedbugs Found At Indianapolis Children's Hospital - February 14th, 2012
- Bed bugs discovered at Riley Hospital at IU Health - February 13th, 2012
- Bed bugs found in Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis - February 13th, 2012
- B-Roll Footage: Rayovac Indestructible LED 3 C Cell Flashlight - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Bedbugs found at Indianapolis work release center - Video - December 5th, 2011
- Assisted Living Facility Fighting Bed Bugs - Video - October 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug hunt - October 5th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, November 22, 2010 - October 4th, 2011
- Stevens Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Doug Summers Interview - September 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug search - September 18th, 2011
- Who's Sleeping in YOUR Bed? Mattress Superstore BedGuard - September 16th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Reported on IU Bloomington Campus - September 15th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, September 22, 2010 - September 10th, 2011
- Indiana Day 4 - September 8th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.