Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
This is the first in a series of which point you to local information. Most of what we have so far is on Cincinnati and Hamilton County, though this page will also include Northern Kentucky and Southeastern Indiana. I welcome additional tips and links to be added; please comment below if you have any. Thanks!
Bed bugs are a big problem in the Greater Cincinnati area. The Spring 2008 Greater Cincinnati Health Survey conducted by The University of Cincinnati Institute for Policy Research found that 14.5% of Cincinnati residents have had bed bugs (thats one in seven people, and that was the statistic in 2008 the numbers are likely greater now).
Self-treatment is common in Cincinnati, which is likely helping bed bugs spread there. The Greater Cincinnati Health Survey also found that 31% of Cincinnati residents with bed bugs had used only an over-the-counter spray to treat their problem. (This is unlikely to solve a bed bug problem.)
Attempting to get rid of bed bugs with alcohol or OTC pesticides, local residents have set their homes on fire in Cincinnati, and in Hamilton County, where fourteen people were displaced after someone tried to treat bed bugs using alcohol-based pesticides while smoking.
In 2009, Ohio requested an emergency exemption request for pest professionals to be able to use the pesticide Propoxur to treat bed bugs (under certain controlled conditions). This was denied in June 2010, and again in January 2011.
In January 2008, there was a tri-state (Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana) meeting about bed bugs. Also in 2008, Cincinnati and Hamilton County formed a Joint Bed Bug Task Force. You can download their Strategic Plan at New York vs. Bed Bugs.
We try to include correct and up-to-date local information where possible. However, we cannot be responsible for the accuracy of information on this website. Please double check local laws and regulations to be sure information is correct and has not changed. We are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice. If you have questions about the law and how it applies to your case, please consult a lawyer.
Note: for Ohio residents, the Ohio Department of Health will provide identification services for samples sent in by Ohio residents. You can download this form or call ODH at (614) 752-1029 and press Option 1 for information.
Jump to: Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Northern Kentucky
The City of Cincinnati has a two-minute Public Service Announcement video produced by the CHD Environmental Division on their bed bug page. (Click here to download and view it.) It suggests homeowners are responsible for their own treatment, while tenants must notify their landlords and cooperate with treatment.
However, the Strategic Plan of the JBBTF says,
The laws that govern the actions of the Cincinnati Health Department include Board of Health Regulations 00053-9(D), 00053-9(E) and 00053-11(D), as well as the Neighborhood Quality of Life Code, CMC 1601-17 (Title XVI), and Ohio state law. The Board of Health and city municipal code regulations assign responsibility for abatement of vermin to both the owner/ manager and the occupant of an infested building. This means that the Health Department may not be able to enforce abatement orders against owner/managers of large apartment buildings without also enforcing abatement orders against the tenants.
In other words, landlords do not have to pay for treatment in Cincinnati.
And tenants can no longer get their units inspected by the city. Even though requests for bed bug inspections went from 70 in 2007 to 750 in 2008, Cincinnati stopped funding bed bug inspection program in the 2009 budget, and bed bug inspections ceased there in January 2009. (More on this here). The Cincinnati PSA says that anyone can call the City of Cincinnati Customer Service at 513-591-6000 for more information about bed bugs, to receive informational materials, or to arrange pickup for infested furniture if needed. (Note: infested furniture can often be treated to remove bed bugs, and many experts recommend this instead of tossing it out.)
The PSA states that regulations may require that any insecticidal applications be made by a licensed pest control operator. (Note: I suspect this may relate to the number of units in the building, as appears to be the case in the case of Hamilton County; more below on the laws there.)
(The Cincinnati PSA is not bad but I am not sure about the suggestion that items should be washed on hot then placed in a hot dryer for only 5 minutes; we understand that Dr. Michael Potters research showed bed bugs were killed in dried clothing which was put in a hot dryer for 10 minutes; we do not know of research which shows 5 minutes is enough time in which to kill bed bugs in wet clothing. If someone has a reference, please share it in the comments below. More on how to kill bed bugs in clothing in this FAQ.)
Bedbugger stories about bed bugs in Cincinnati.
Hamilton County Public Health has a general brochure on bed bugs (PDF), which states,
If you rent a home or apartment within Hamilton County (excluding cities of Cincinnati, Norwood, Sharonville or Springdale) and you think you have bed bugs, please contact the Hamilton County Public Health at (513) 946-7832. Sanitarians will work with your landlord to eliminate the problem.
(This map shows the service area for HCPH.)
The JBBTF STrategic Plan notes,
The laws that govern the actions of Hamilton County Public Health are County code PHESR 1-67, Section 4.16, as well as Ohio state law. PHESR 1-67 allows citation of owners for abatement of vermin.
Renee Corea of New York vs. Bed Bugs interviewed Jeremy Hessel of HCPH and this provides additional insight on the laws and resources there,
Under Ohio Department of Agriculture pesticide rules, an owner of a building of three units or less is allowed to treat the building without an applicator license. Hessel considers this a significant challenge in Hamilton County. Nonetheless, building owners have started to come round to the idea of hiring competent pest management professionals to service bed bug complaints in their properties, and theyre starting to understand what is required for eradication.
Who pays for treatments in Hamilton County? When tenants were being charged for bed bug treatments, Hessel said, Hamilton County consulted Legal Aid attorneys on their behalf. Unless the landlord could prove that the tenant brought them in or that unreasonable destruction was caused by the tenant, the landlord was responsible.
Corea also cites Hessel encouraging homeowners to call HCPH for advice and guidance on bed bugs, saying:
Well try to give as much guidance as possible, and sometimes we even go to their homes.
You can contact HCPH here.
Hamilton County Public Health also provides guidelines for social workers and home health care nurses (PDF) and guidelines for schools (PDF).
Hamilton County residents can go here to file a Public Nuisance Complaint about bed bugs in public places or rental homes. You can file a complaint anonymously, but including your name, and street or email address means you can receive an update on the outcome of the investigation.
Bedbugger stories about bed bugs in Hamilton County.
Bed bugs have hit many Northern Kentucky homes, as well as other places as diverse as the IRS offices in Covington (in 2008), the Northern Kentucky University dorms, and the Burlington Library (note: Boone Co. libraries are now taking steps to avoid further problems).
The Northern Kentucky Health Department has a fact sheet you can read online (or download as a PDF).
It suggests that for more information about bed bugs, you can call the Northern Kentucky Health Departments Environmental Health and Safety office at 859.341.4151. Since we do not yet have information on laws regarding who pays for bed bug treatment in rented homes in the area, we suggest you also direct such questions to the Health Department, or ask them who to consult. (Please send us links to relevant information if you find it.)
Bedbugger stories about bed bugs in Northern Kentucky.
(You can view additional bed bug fact sheets, such as those from OSU and the U of Kentucky, as well as other resources such as manuals about bed bugs and treatment options look under Comprehensive Guides in our Resources page.)
Last updated 1/25/2011
Go here to see the original:
Bed bugs in Cincinnati (including regional area)
- Illinois And Wisconsin Disagree On The Most Hated Bug - 1440wrok.com - April 13th, 2021
- Bed bugs: A home remedy could deter the creepy crawlies from infesting your home - Express - October 21st, 2020
- Rentals, HUD, and Laws About Bed Bug Treatment - Yes Pest ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - The Ridgefield Press - August 2nd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 31st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Fairfield Citizen - July 30th, 2020
- 'You want us to eat this s***?' J.R. Smith and Joel Embiid join NBA players blasting 'airline' meals - Armenian Reporter - July 13th, 2020
- WNBA working with players on housing concerns in Florida - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Indianapolis, Indiana Bed Bug Reports - June 9th, 2020
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators in Indianapolis, IN 2020 - June 9th, 2020
- Indiana Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - February 23rd, 2020
- This City Has the Worst Bed Bug Infestation in America - Reader's Digest - January 30th, 2020
- Smithereen Pest Management Services - Bug Extermination - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Pest Control in Central Indiana | Freedom Pest ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Lawyer's bed bugs close Oklahoma courthouse - National ... - March 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Allen County Department of Health - November 17th, 2018
- Indiana Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Indianapolis, Carmel, Kokomo - December 28th, 2017
- Indiana, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 15th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health - August 12th, 2017
- Accidental Therapists: - PCT Magazine - July 27th, 2017
- Ticks and bedbugs worry health department - Batesville Herald Tribune - July 24th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - SFGate - SFGate - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Lake Michigan beaches to keep birds away - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- Free Fair drawing closer - Newsexaminer - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control - Indiana Pest Control - June 16th, 2017
- Hostel Surroundings - Kokomo Perspective - June 16th, 2017
- Avoid the Biting Burden of Bed Bugs This Summer - PR Newswire (press release) - June 5th, 2017
- Indianapolis Pest Control Pros Identify Bed Bugs In ... - March 2nd, 2017
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When Shopping for Clothing ... - February 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs From a San Francisco Hotel - hotels.about.com - December 29th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Muncie Indiana - May 2nd, 2016
- Indiana Pest Control | Indianapolis, Carmel & Kokomo ... - April 12th, 2016
- Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the ... - April 3rd, 2016
- Lafayette Bed Bug Control | Lafayette Exterminator | Indiana - March 16th, 2016
- Bed bugs life cycle - March 7th, 2016
- Signs of Bed Bugs on Sheets | eHow - March 7th, 2016
- Indy holds tight on bed bugs list - January 24th, 2015
- Does Purdue University Have Bed Bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- Hey, I'm in Indiana: Bed Bugs are on Satan's Team - November 20th, 2014
- Monroe Countys bedbug problem is far from over, experts ... - November 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatments Indianapolis, IN | 317-520-9800 - July 7th, 2014
- Avoid hitchhiking bed bugs during summer travels - July 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. - Real ... - March 18th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Antique Auto Repair Geneva IL 60134 ... - February 22nd, 2014
- Indianapolis Pest Control | Bed Bugs Indianapolis - January 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Indiana | Alert Bed Bug Detection Agency | Bed Bugs Ohio - January 16th, 2014
- Fort Wayne Pest Control | Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs - January 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - December 26th, 2013
- Battling bed bug epidemic - December 22nd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Found in Indiana Apartment Complex, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help ... - December 19th, 2013
- Parents worry about bed bugs in Arlington High School - December 12th, 2013
- Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bug Dogs In Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Louisville And IN ... - November 27th, 2013
- Indiana Apartment Association - Bed_Bugs - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis, Indiana ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Plague - Bed Bugs Are Back - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Termites - Gold Seal - November 3rd, 2013
- Power Over Pests, Bed Bugs & Termites | Terminix - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Dog | Bed Bug Inspectors - Bed Bugs Chicago - November 3rd, 2013
- ISDH: Bed Bugs - In - November 3rd, 2013
- Cincinnati Still #2 In Nation For Bed Bugs - June 12th, 2012
- Clark Arms residents dealing with bed bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Cincinnati Sees Decline in Bed Bug Infestation - March 15th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Infest Indiana Children's Hospital! - February 14th, 2012
- Bedbugs Found At Indianapolis Children's Hospital - February 14th, 2012
- Bed bugs discovered at Riley Hospital at IU Health - February 13th, 2012
- Bed bugs found in Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis - February 13th, 2012
- B-Roll Footage: Rayovac Indestructible LED 3 C Cell Flashlight - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Bedbugs found at Indianapolis work release center - Video - December 5th, 2011
- Assisted Living Facility Fighting Bed Bugs - Video - October 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug hunt - October 5th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, November 22, 2010 - October 4th, 2011
- Stevens Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Doug Summers Interview - September 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug search - September 18th, 2011
- Who's Sleeping in YOUR Bed? Mattress Superstore BedGuard - September 16th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Reported on IU Bloomington Campus - September 15th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, September 22, 2010 - September 10th, 2011
- Indiana Day 4 - September 8th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.