Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Move over, Mr. Cocky Cockroach. Theres a new bug in town and hes as tiny [or tinier] than a tick, nocturnal, can live days without food but when he wants some goes straight for your blood. Hes the size of an apple seed yet even exterminators shy away from these poison apples/; Well just call him Mr. Brazen Bed Bug because brazen he most certainly is, entering the homes, stores, and offices of this citys 5 boroughs and striking fear in the beds of even the most urban elite.
Yup, its been a rough week for New York City. Why? Because bed-bug-apocalypse seems to be upon the Big Apple, with stores like Abercrombie & Fitch and Niketown, along with magazine office Elle and even the Empire State Building being infested with the blood-sucking, bed burrowing and clothing loving critters.
When most people think of bed bugs, they think of a.) beds and b.) places where beds would be, like your single and multi-family housing, hotel and motels, and of course, those ubiquitous used mattresses found on the side of the road.
But what doesnt come to mind of most people when thinking about bed bugs is the fact that these critters like to hide in clothing. And where can you find mass amounts of used clothing taken from places where there were beds? You guessed it shopping thrift stores.
So not only has this week been a tough one for us New Yorkers in general, but for the vintage and thrift loving population of the country who frequent thrift stores for their hobby, passion or job.
Since the news about the epidemic first struck, Ive been feeling pretty low about the chance that after shopping at my local Goodwill, I could unknowingly carry a bed bug from the clothing in my bag into my apartment, into my bed and well, you can guess the rest. I realize that its a huge liability to continue to visit thrift stores, but I dont want to completely stop doing something I love.
So, like the true vintage lover that I am, I did some research to see how I could still shop thrift but not shop bed bugs. My 10 top tips are below and Im taking new ones from those in the vintage and thrift industry who are more informed than me! Please send any thrift-away-bed-bug-tips my way at Sammy@sammydvintage.com
Dont forget to check out my 34 Tips on: How to Thrift Store Shop
Tip #1: Confirm Safety of a Store Using an Online Bed Bug Registry
Use The Bed Bug Registry to plug in the address of the thrift store you are visiting. If theres been a report of bed bugs in that store, be warned!
Tip #2: Give Each Piece You Want to Buy a Thorough Inspection
A rule of thumb for anyone shopping thrift is to give each piece you are considering buying what I like to call the 360. This means checking seams, cuffs, collars, pockets and anything else not in full-frontal-view to make sure that the piece is damage, stain and of course, bed-bug free.
Cuffs and pockets are a particularly sought after hiding place for bed bugs in clothing. Unfold cuffs and turn pockets inside out before trying on or taking anything home.
Tip #3: Do Not Buy Thrift Store Furniture Without Inspecting it First
Dont bring bed bugs into your home after purchasing second-hand furniture like this family in Indiana did. Thankfully Goodwill picked up the exterminator tab, but you may not be so lucky if you buy yourself an awesome couch with an awful aftermath.
How to tell if the furniture has bed bugs? They leave brownish, blackish droppings that look like ink marks. If you see those on the inside of the cushions or anywhere on the furniture at all, dont buy it. Seriously, dont even touch it.
Tip #4: Avoid Buying Second-Hand Furniture That is Porous
True story: I previously owned an entire set of white wicker furniture in my New York City apartment. When I learned that bed bugs love hiding in the cracks between the wicker, seeking shelter by day and emerging at night to crawl from your bed stand onto your bed? Well, you guessed it that furniture was on the curb faster than you can scream Bed Bug!
If the furniture is porous meaning you could compare it to a sponge, loofah or just anything weaved its not worth your time even buying it new, for risk that if you are ever infested, those bed bugs have prime breeding ground.
Tip #5: Shake Out Bags, Purses and Wallets
Bed bugs like to hide in warm, dark places. Bags, purses and wallets are about as warm and dark as they get and are literally a free ride for those critters to leave the thrift store, enter your car and then enter your home or worse yet, the homes of others you happen to visit.
Id advise against buying bags at thrift stores at all, but if you must have that vintage 80s clutch, I totally understand but advise shaking it out upside down and checking any pockets, crevices and corners for signs of bed bug burrow.
Tip #6: Bag Your Finds in a Plastic Bag and Double Knot it Shut
Most thrift stores bag in plastic. Ask your register associate to tie the plastic bag shut and double it knot it so that no air can leave or enter the bag. If youre not sure whether the store bags in plastic, bring a few from your home to use in the event that youre stuck with paper.
Tying your plastic bag shut ensures that any hiding bed bugs are trapped shut, only to be washed to death when you wash and dry your thrift store finds see the next tip for this very important and highly-advised suggestion!
Tip #7: Put the Bag into the Trunk of Your Car
Call me paranoid, but in the event that a bed bug does manage to crawl its way out of your plastic way, at least youve confined it to your trunk where it will hopefully die. The issue remains, however, that bed bugs can lay eggs before dying themselves. And bed bugs can live without food for days on end or when hibernating, dont need to eat at all. And guess what? They can hibernate for up to a year and a half.
The point? When thrifting, vacuum your car frequently to kill bugs dead, alive, or yet to hatch.
Tip #8: Wash Everything You Buy Immediately
Read this and weep, because this is the most important step of all: Wash and dry your thrift store clothes immediately after buying them. The hot water and hot air will kill all bugs and their unborn children. I recommend keeping the clothing in the trunk of your car until you can take it immediately into your washer.
Do not bring the bag into your home with the intent to wash the clothing a few hours later. Do it right away, and do it the right way to keep your home happy and bed bug free.
Tip #9: Put Non-Washable Items in the Dryer on High Heat
I love shopping the evening wear section at a thrift store because I can find fabulous dresses, jumpers and even old wedding gowns for a fraction of the cost. The flipside? I have to dry clean them if theyre dirty.
The downside in this situation? If you want to de-buggify any of your dry-clean only finds without actually getting them dry cleaned, you must dry the piece at high heat for at about 20 minutes. The high heat should kill the bugs and at the very least, guarantee that when you do take the piece to a dry cleaner for a professional clean, that youre not risking the reputation of your friendly local dry cleaner by affecting the entire neighborhood.
Tip #10: Check Your Body Before You Leave
Before exiting the thrift store, walk to an aisle mirror and give your body a solid once over. Flip your shirt inside out, check exposed skin, open your bag and examine the seams, pockets and openings. Do whatever it takes to ensure that you are not walking out with a bed bug chilling on you. Sounds gross, right? Well, I didnt name the bed bug Mr. Brazen without due reason. Hes not cocky like the cockroach, but he takes risks. Dont let his risks be your worst nightmare. Take whatever safety precautions you can when saving money or finding fashion when shopping thrift and second-hand.
Click here to read some other helpful tips for the thrift-inclined, thanks to Associated Content
34 Tips on: How to Thrift Store Shop HEALTH: Why Thrift Shopping is an Addiction WEALTH: How to Save Money Thrift Shopping TIPS: 18 Tips for Buying Used Clothes RISK: 10 Risky Items Not to Buy at a Thrift Store VIDEO: Thrift Shopping the Goodwill Outlet PLUS: The Complete Thrift Shopping Dictionary
Here is the original post:
How to Avoid Bed Bugs When Shopping for Clothing ...
- Illinois And Wisconsin Disagree On The Most Hated Bug - 1440wrok.com - April 13th, 2021
- Bed bugs: A home remedy could deter the creepy crawlies from infesting your home - Express - October 21st, 2020
- Rentals, HUD, and Laws About Bed Bug Treatment - Yes Pest ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - The Ridgefield Press - August 2nd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 31st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Fairfield Citizen - July 30th, 2020
- 'You want us to eat this s***?' J.R. Smith and Joel Embiid join NBA players blasting 'airline' meals - Armenian Reporter - July 13th, 2020
- WNBA working with players on housing concerns in Florida - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Indianapolis, Indiana Bed Bug Reports - June 9th, 2020
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators in Indianapolis, IN 2020 - June 9th, 2020
- Indiana Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - February 23rd, 2020
- This City Has the Worst Bed Bug Infestation in America - Reader's Digest - January 30th, 2020
- Smithereen Pest Management Services - Bug Extermination - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Pest Control in Central Indiana | Freedom Pest ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Lawyer's bed bugs close Oklahoma courthouse - National ... - March 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Allen County Department of Health - November 17th, 2018
- Indiana Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Indianapolis, Carmel, Kokomo - December 28th, 2017
- Indiana, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 15th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health - August 12th, 2017
- Accidental Therapists: - PCT Magazine - July 27th, 2017
- Ticks and bedbugs worry health department - Batesville Herald Tribune - July 24th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - SFGate - SFGate - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Lake Michigan beaches to keep birds away - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- Free Fair drawing closer - Newsexaminer - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control - Indiana Pest Control - June 16th, 2017
- Hostel Surroundings - Kokomo Perspective - June 16th, 2017
- Avoid the Biting Burden of Bed Bugs This Summer - PR Newswire (press release) - June 5th, 2017
- Indianapolis Pest Control Pros Identify Bed Bugs In ... - March 2nd, 2017
- Bed Bugs From a San Francisco Hotel - hotels.about.com - December 29th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Muncie Indiana - May 2nd, 2016
- Indiana Pest Control | Indianapolis, Carmel & Kokomo ... - April 12th, 2016
- Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the ... - April 3rd, 2016
- Lafayette Bed Bug Control | Lafayette Exterminator | Indiana - March 16th, 2016
- Bed bugs life cycle - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs in Cincinnati (including regional area) - March 7th, 2016
- Signs of Bed Bugs on Sheets | eHow - March 7th, 2016
- Indy holds tight on bed bugs list - January 24th, 2015
- Does Purdue University Have Bed Bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- Hey, I'm in Indiana: Bed Bugs are on Satan's Team - November 20th, 2014
- Monroe Countys bedbug problem is far from over, experts ... - November 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatments Indianapolis, IN | 317-520-9800 - July 7th, 2014
- Avoid hitchhiking bed bugs during summer travels - July 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. - Real ... - March 18th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Antique Auto Repair Geneva IL 60134 ... - February 22nd, 2014
- Indianapolis Pest Control | Bed Bugs Indianapolis - January 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Indiana | Alert Bed Bug Detection Agency | Bed Bugs Ohio - January 16th, 2014
- Fort Wayne Pest Control | Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs - January 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - December 26th, 2013
- Battling bed bug epidemic - December 22nd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Found in Indiana Apartment Complex, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help ... - December 19th, 2013
- Parents worry about bed bugs in Arlington High School - December 12th, 2013
- Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bug Dogs In Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Louisville And IN ... - November 27th, 2013
- Indiana Apartment Association - Bed_Bugs - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis, Indiana ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Plague - Bed Bugs Are Back - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Termites - Gold Seal - November 3rd, 2013
- Power Over Pests, Bed Bugs & Termites | Terminix - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Dog | Bed Bug Inspectors - Bed Bugs Chicago - November 3rd, 2013
- ISDH: Bed Bugs - In - November 3rd, 2013
- Cincinnati Still #2 In Nation For Bed Bugs - June 12th, 2012
- Clark Arms residents dealing with bed bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Cincinnati Sees Decline in Bed Bug Infestation - March 15th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Infest Indiana Children's Hospital! - February 14th, 2012
- Bedbugs Found At Indianapolis Children's Hospital - February 14th, 2012
- Bed bugs discovered at Riley Hospital at IU Health - February 13th, 2012
- Bed bugs found in Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis - February 13th, 2012
- B-Roll Footage: Rayovac Indestructible LED 3 C Cell Flashlight - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Bedbugs found at Indianapolis work release center - Video - December 5th, 2011
- Assisted Living Facility Fighting Bed Bugs - Video - October 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug hunt - October 5th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, November 22, 2010 - October 4th, 2011
- Stevens Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Doug Summers Interview - September 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug search - September 18th, 2011
- Who's Sleeping in YOUR Bed? Mattress Superstore BedGuard - September 16th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Reported on IU Bloomington Campus - September 15th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, September 22, 2010 - September 10th, 2011
- Indiana Day 4 - September 8th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.