Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:41 am | Updated: 9:48 am, Fri Feb 17, 2012.
LINCOLN – The large number of bedbug reports at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln – 94 rooms treated for the pests so far -- has led one national expert to wonder whether UNL is getting "false positives" from the dogs it's been using to detect the bugs.
"Something doesn't seem right," said Jeffrey White, an entomologist who serves as technical director for Bedbug Central, an online bedbug information center. He has been a featured entomologist on "Infested," an Animal Planet program about insect infestations.
It's possible that the university's aggressive attack has resulted in false positives, said UNL spokeswoman Kelly Bartling.
Only a handful of the bedbug reports have come from students who actually saw the bugs or were bitten.
The rest were detected through the housing department's efforts to ferret out the bugs, though in some rooms they could be seen climbing and crawling. UNL has estimated that the cost to detect and eradicate the bugs could exceed $100,000.
The university has used five bedbug-sniffing dogs from three different handlers in a room-to-room dragnet.
So far, about 1,300 of the 3,256 dormitory rooms have been checked, with bedbugs confirmed in about 7 percent of the rooms. The handlers do attempt to corroborate one dog's "alert" by bringing in a second dog but don't always take the time to hunt for visual evidence of the bugs.
Despite the possibility of false positives, "the responsible thing to do is to treat the room anyway," Bartling said. "What's the alternative? Nobody wants anybody to get bedbug bites. The strategy is to get ahead of them and identify them before they start biting."
Although campuses across the country are dealing with bedbug problems, White said, he's checked with other major universities and none has ever dealt with an infestation that extended beyond five rooms.
Bedbugs have become more common in the United States in recent years because they have developed resistance to commonly used pesticides. White said college campuses are especially vulnerable to bedbugs.
"College and university dorms are really long-term-stay hotels," he said. "The trick is limiting the spread in a dorm building. You have a lot of socialization among students in a dorm. If you don't catch things quick enough, you have a sort of spiderweb effect."
He said the most common times for college bedbug reports are right after summer break, right after semester break and right after spring break.
Usually, the situation is that students have brought the bugs back with them from their travels, and only a few bugs -- fewer than 20 -- are involved.
High-level infestations, of 100 bugs or more, take longer to develop but are tougher to eradicate.
White said it can be tough to catch bedbugs early. Some studies have shown that 30 percent of people don't react to bedbug bites. The bugs are nocturnal and hide in crevices, cracks and dark places like the inside of a bed's box springs.
White himself has been a bedbug victim. He woke one morning with bites on the nape of his neck. He dismissed them as mosquito bites. A week later, he found a cluster of three bites on the back of his arm.
"I knew only one thing does that."
He checked his box spring and found just one bug, which he quickly killed.
"It was a simple solution, but it brought some reality to the situation," he said. "You can't really understand what it's like until you have them. I had a hard time sleeping for a couple months."
The first residence hall report at UNL came the first week after classes resumed in January. Housing officials said they found a mass of bugs hiding behind a built-in pegboard in a dormitory room.
White said the bugs could have been there for weeks -- and were hungry when the students returned from semester break. Bedbugs can live for three to six months without feeding.
The bugs don't build nests, but they tend to congregate in one area, he said. Their deposits -- which look like black spots -- give off a pheromone that attracts more bugs. Their eggs are usually found in that area.
Adults reach about a quarter-inch in size, and they are round and flat like a tick. Eggs and hatchlings are quite small, the size of the letters on a penny. The eggs are translucent.
The first UNL inspections were done by Spots, a rat terrier handled by James Pelowski of Lincoln. Pelowski said he always works with a secondary inspector who helps him look for visual evidence of bugs after Spots signals the alert.
"With my dog, we always show physical evidence," he said. "There's absolutely no false positives on my end."
After the dog alerts -- and Spots can detect as few as one or two bugs -- Pelowski and his secondary inspector put on their gloves and pull out high-intensity flashlights and magnifying glasses. "We usually find some within 2 to 3 feet," he said.
"Out of all the colleges I've worked with, UNL is definitely doing the best job," he said. "It's definitely the most aggressive in seeking to get this critter taken care of."
Pelowski said he is not affiliated with a pest control company, to avoid creating the appearance that he has an incentive to find the bugs.
Mark Lillis, a canine handler and bedbug division manager for a pest control company based in Topeka, Kan., said one bedbug is as bad as 100. An adult bedbug produces five to seven eggs per day.
"I don't fault what the university is doing by any means," he said. "The reason for using canines is to get ahead of the bedbugs and to eradicate them."
View original post here:
Bedbug expert scratches head over extent of UNL infestation
- Common Iowa Insect Bites and Stings - July 31st, 2020
- Iowa Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports | BedBugReports.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Laundromats try to help prevent COVID-19 with precautions - KCAU 9 - April 16th, 2020
- Donald Lewis finds beauty in the small things - Iowa State Daily - February 3rd, 2020
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 19th, 2019
- Pest Control | Omaha & Council Bluffs - February 25th, 2019
- Bed Bugs AnswerLine Iowa State University Extension ... - November 1st, 2018
- Bed Bugs - Termites | Priority Pest Control - Omaha, NE - April 14th, 2018
- Driving someone with bedbugs Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums - March 22nd, 2018
- BedBug Chasers Rated #1 Iowa Bed Bug Heat Treatment - March 17th, 2018
- Iowa, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 17th, 2018
- Bed bugs have favorite colors | Science News for Students - February 21st, 2018
- Iowa Legal Aid - November 20th, 2017
- Four You - Eclipse of My Heart - WAAF.com (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Springer Canine Teams Receive NESDECA Bed Bug Certification - PCT Magazine - August 19th, 2017
- 5 children found overheated, infested with bugs in back of U-haul - WPXI Pittsburgh - August 9th, 2017
- Experts on bed bugs and bed bug extermination - Bed Bug Guide - August 8th, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs - Moline Dispatch - Quad-Cities Online - July 27th, 2017
- Bed Bugs vs Fleas - Difference and Comparison | Diffen - July 6th, 2017
- Bed bugs trouble for hospitals across Iowa and US - KCRG - April 8th, 2017
- Iowa Bed Bug Control - March 8th, 2017
- Questions and Answers for Tenants About Bedbugs | Iowa ... - March 4th, 2017
- Pest Control Omaha | Bed Bugs | Termites | Priority Pest ... - February 24th, 2017
- Community agencies struggle to meet emergency housing needs - McDonough Voice - February 6th, 2017
- Baltimore, D.C. Rank #1 and #2 On Orkins Bed Bugs List ... - February 4th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Treatment and Extermination Testimonials - Page 1 - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Linn County, IA - Official Website - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control & Prevention | Plunketts Pest Control - March 9th, 2016
- Bed Bug Treatment Des Moines and Ames - Iowa Bed Bugs - March 7th, 2016
- Bat Bug | Iowa Insect Information Notes - August 30th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - blogspot.com - February 9th, 2015
- Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs :: Springer Bed Bug Removal - January 29th, 2015
- Bed Bug Services - Des Moines's Bed Bug Experts | Janssen ... - December 24th, 2014
- Investigating Easy Options Of bedbugs removal ia | Home - November 30th, 2014
- Groups - Black Hair World - November 23rd, 2014
- MastiClub.net | Rapid Systems For bed bugs termal ... - November 19th, 2014
- Battling Bedbugs On A Budget - November 7th, 2014
- Killing Bed Bugs is No Easy Task - November 3rd, 2014
- County looks at bed bug problem - October 8th, 2014
- Bed bugs on the rise in eastern Iowa - September 23rd, 2014
- Identify Bed Bugs, Identify bed bug, Iowa Bed Bug, Iowa ... - July 10th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Iowa State University | Bed Bug Relief - July 10th, 2014
- Newton apartment building found to be an unfit dwelling - July 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Holiday Inn, Davenport, IA - May 8th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. Real - March 31st, 2014
- Charities don't need actual junk - March 29th, 2014
- SW Ohio ranks again for bedbug treatments - January 20th, 2014
- Chicago Tops Bed Bug Cities List for Second Year in a Row ... - January 16th, 2014
- Bed Bug Picture / Bedbug Picture 3 (Hardin MD / CDC) - December 9th, 2013
- Bedbug Treatments - Downs Pest Control | Des Moines Safe Pest ... - December 3rd, 2013
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines, Iowa ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal for Iowa :: Springer Home Services - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection and Extermination :: Springer Home Services - November 9th, 2013
- Green Iowa Bed Bug Treatment - Miller Pest & Termite - Bedbugs - November 9th, 2013
- Preferred Pest Control | Professional Pest Control in Central Iowa - November 3rd, 2013
- Mount Mercy Treats Apartments After Bed Bugs Found in One Unit - October 11th, 2012
- Bedbug Bill Tries to Hold Tenants Accountable For Infestation - February 13th, 2012
- SHELTER BUGS: A homeless shelter in Des Moines is infested with bed bugs - February 13th, 2012
- Bedbug bill causes rash of debate in House subcommittee - February 1st, 2012
- Bedbug Heat Treatment - Video - January 20th, 2012
- Lexington Park on Iowa has bed bugs - Video - December 12th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Becoming an Epidemic - Video - December 10th, 2011
- ISU Extension: Bed bugs - Video - October 14th, 2011
- Company Plans Bigger Battle Against Bedbugs - September 24th, 2011
- Lifestyles of the Creepy and Crawly - September 22nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Talk With Jeff Springer - September 19th, 2011
- Official: Saboteur Unleashed Bedbugs In City Building - September 14th, 2011
- Pauls Pest Control Adel IA - September 13th, 2011
- New Task Force To Fight Bedbugs - September 11th, 2011
- Polk County creates bed bug task force - September 11th, 2011
- Residents Sue Apartments Over Bedbugs - September 8th, 2011
- Organic Biological Pest Control Product Non Toxic Green Best - September 8th, 2011
- Spring Brings Insect Invasion - September 8th, 2011
- Industry Adaptation and Advances in Bed Bug Control - September 8th, 2011
- Newswatch 18: The Year in Review Part 2 - September 6th, 2011
- Newswatch - Oct. 3, 2010 - September 5th, 2011
- Iowa Hotel Launches Bed Bug Battle - August 20th, 2011
- Bedbugs at Iowa State University - August 17th, 2011
- Bedbugs Get Iowa Motel Shut Down - August 17th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.