Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Once thought to be largely eliminated in the United States, bedbugs have again become a problem for tenants, homeowners, hotels and even retail stores. Bedbugs easily travel from one location to another and spread rapidly in connected living spaces such as apartment buildings. Often by the time that an individual has discovered visible evidence of bedbugs, the infestation has become widespread.
It is a common myth that bedbug infestations arise from unsanitary living conditions. While excess clutter can provide bedbugs with more opportunities to hide, bedbugs can be found almost anywhere. Pricey New York City hotels and condos have spent thousands of dollars battling bedbugs, and clothing retailer Abercrombie and Fitch was forced to temporarily close two stores in 2010 due to bedbugs. The following are some common questions and answers about dealing with bedbugs.
From the Environmental Protection Agency
Bedbugs feed on your blood and cause itchy bites. Adult bed bugs are brown, 1/4 to 3/8 inches long, and have a flat, oval-shaped body. Young bed bugs (called nymphs) are smaller and lighter in color.
Bedbugs hide in a variety of places around the bed. They might also hide in other places, such as in the seams of chairs and couches, between cushions, and in the folds of curtains. They come out to feed on blood about every five to ten days. But they can survive over a year without feeding.
To prevent bedbugs in your home:
To get rid of bedbugs:
The good news? Unlike some other pests, bedbugs dont transmit and spread diseases.
What are some of the signs that I may have bedbugs?
I think I may have bedbugs. What should I do?
Some leases require tenants to notify the landlord if there are bedbugs. Even if your lease does not require notice, you should contact your landlord immediately to let him or her know. Early treatment may prevent bedbugs from spreading to other units and infesting your belongings.
Send a written notice to your landlord that you believe that your unit may have bedbugs and keep a copy of this notice for yourself.
Cooperate with extermination efforts by your landlord. Early action may prevent you from losing personal belongings to bedbugs.
Because bedbugs spread rapidly, it is difficult to prove that one person or one unit is the source of a bedbug infestation. In most cases your landlord should be held responsible for the costs of eliminating bedbugs. Tenants are only responsible for damage they cause deliberately (on purpose) or negligently (not taking reasonable care).
You can also contact your citys housing inspector. If the problem is extensive, the city may intervene and force your landlord to take steps to eliminate the bedbugs.
My landlord wont do anything. Is there anything else I can do?
Iowa law lets a tenant end the rental agreement if 1) there is a material noncompliance with the rental agreement or 2) there is a noncompliance with the landlords duty to maintain the unit and it materially affects health and safety. If you can show one of these, you can give a notice to the landlord. The notice gives the landlord 7 days to fix the problem. The notice also needs to say when the rental agreement will end if the landlord does not fix the problem within 7 days. If the landlord does not do enough to fix the problem within 7 days, the rental agreement ends on the date stated in the notice. Do not serve your landlord with a 7 day notice if you are not prepared to move if the problem isnt treated within 7 days.
CAUTION!The landlord may disagree with you about whether the landlord fixed the problem. If the landlord disagrees, the landlord may sue you for any rent that you may owe through the end of your lease. The judge would look at the landlords actions and your actions in deciding what to do. It will be important for you to keep copies of all papers and write down what happened on what dates. It is hard to say what a judge will do about bedbugs or how much a tenant will have to show to prove a bedbug problem.
Get rid of the bedbugs before you move!
If I have bedbugs can I stop paying my rent?
No. In Iowa, there are very few circumstances where a tenant may stop paying rent. It is likely that if a tenant fails to pay rent based on a bedbug infestation, a landlord will pursue eviction proceedings against the tenant for nonpayment of rent. A court is likely to evict an individual who stops paying rent, even if they have a bedbug issue.
Is there anything I should know before signing a new lease?
Read the lease carefully for any terms that discuss bedbugs. Some landlords have added language to leases shifting all responsibility for bedbugs to the tenant or simply stating that they are not liable for any loss of personal property due to bedbugs. It is unclear as to whether these provisions would be enforceable.
Some cities have passed ordinances requiring a landlord to disclose bedbug outbreaks to prospective tenants. However, this requirement is not common and you should ask the landlord and other tenants in the area about known bedbug outbreaks on the property prior to signing a new lease.
Where can I find details or get help?
For more information on treatments and prevention, visit the following websites: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/bedbugs/ or http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp
Providing assistance for legal issues involving the basic need of housing is a priority for Iowa Legal Aid. If you are having problems with a bed bug situation, contact Iowa Legal Aid.
*As you read this information, remember this article is not a substitute for legal advice.
Last review 11/29/12
Read the rest here:
Questions and Answers for Tenants About Bedbugs | Iowa ...
- Common Iowa Insect Bites and Stings - July 31st, 2020
- Iowa Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports | BedBugReports.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Laundromats try to help prevent COVID-19 with precautions - KCAU 9 - April 16th, 2020
- Donald Lewis finds beauty in the small things - Iowa State Daily - February 3rd, 2020
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 19th, 2019
- Pest Control | Omaha & Council Bluffs - February 25th, 2019
- Bed Bugs AnswerLine Iowa State University Extension ... - November 1st, 2018
- Bed Bugs - Termites | Priority Pest Control - Omaha, NE - April 14th, 2018
- Driving someone with bedbugs Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums - March 22nd, 2018
- BedBug Chasers Rated #1 Iowa Bed Bug Heat Treatment - March 17th, 2018
- Iowa, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 17th, 2018
- Bed bugs have favorite colors | Science News for Students - February 21st, 2018
- Iowa Legal Aid - November 20th, 2017
- Four You - Eclipse of My Heart - WAAF.com (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Springer Canine Teams Receive NESDECA Bed Bug Certification - PCT Magazine - August 19th, 2017
- 5 children found overheated, infested with bugs in back of U-haul - WPXI Pittsburgh - August 9th, 2017
- Experts on bed bugs and bed bug extermination - Bed Bug Guide - August 8th, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs - Moline Dispatch - Quad-Cities Online - July 27th, 2017
- Bed Bugs vs Fleas - Difference and Comparison | Diffen - July 6th, 2017
- Bed bugs trouble for hospitals across Iowa and US - KCRG - April 8th, 2017
- Iowa Bed Bug Control - March 8th, 2017
- Pest Control Omaha | Bed Bugs | Termites | Priority Pest ... - February 24th, 2017
- Community agencies struggle to meet emergency housing needs - McDonough Voice - February 6th, 2017
- Baltimore, D.C. Rank #1 and #2 On Orkins Bed Bugs List ... - February 4th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Treatment and Extermination Testimonials - Page 1 - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Linn County, IA - Official Website - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control & Prevention | Plunketts Pest Control - March 9th, 2016
- Bed Bug Treatment Des Moines and Ames - Iowa Bed Bugs - March 7th, 2016
- Bat Bug | Iowa Insect Information Notes - August 30th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - blogspot.com - February 9th, 2015
- Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs :: Springer Bed Bug Removal - January 29th, 2015
- Bed Bug Services - Des Moines's Bed Bug Experts | Janssen ... - December 24th, 2014
- Investigating Easy Options Of bedbugs removal ia | Home - November 30th, 2014
- Groups - Black Hair World - November 23rd, 2014
- MastiClub.net | Rapid Systems For bed bugs termal ... - November 19th, 2014
- Battling Bedbugs On A Budget - November 7th, 2014
- Killing Bed Bugs is No Easy Task - November 3rd, 2014
- County looks at bed bug problem - October 8th, 2014
- Bed bugs on the rise in eastern Iowa - September 23rd, 2014
- Identify Bed Bugs, Identify bed bug, Iowa Bed Bug, Iowa ... - July 10th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Iowa State University | Bed Bug Relief - July 10th, 2014
- Newton apartment building found to be an unfit dwelling - July 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Holiday Inn, Davenport, IA - May 8th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. Real - March 31st, 2014
- Charities don't need actual junk - March 29th, 2014
- SW Ohio ranks again for bedbug treatments - January 20th, 2014
- Chicago Tops Bed Bug Cities List for Second Year in a Row ... - January 16th, 2014
- Bed Bug Picture / Bedbug Picture 3 (Hardin MD / CDC) - December 9th, 2013
- Bedbug Treatments - Downs Pest Control | Des Moines Safe Pest ... - December 3rd, 2013
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines, Iowa ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal for Iowa :: Springer Home Services - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection and Extermination :: Springer Home Services - November 9th, 2013
- Green Iowa Bed Bug Treatment - Miller Pest & Termite - Bedbugs - November 9th, 2013
- Preferred Pest Control | Professional Pest Control in Central Iowa - November 3rd, 2013
- Mount Mercy Treats Apartments After Bed Bugs Found in One Unit - October 11th, 2012
- Bedbug expert scratches head over extent of UNL infestation - February 18th, 2012
- Bedbug Bill Tries to Hold Tenants Accountable For Infestation - February 13th, 2012
- SHELTER BUGS: A homeless shelter in Des Moines is infested with bed bugs - February 13th, 2012
- Bedbug bill causes rash of debate in House subcommittee - February 1st, 2012
- Bedbug Heat Treatment - Video - January 20th, 2012
- Lexington Park on Iowa has bed bugs - Video - December 12th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Becoming an Epidemic - Video - December 10th, 2011
- ISU Extension: Bed bugs - Video - October 14th, 2011
- Company Plans Bigger Battle Against Bedbugs - September 24th, 2011
- Lifestyles of the Creepy and Crawly - September 22nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Talk With Jeff Springer - September 19th, 2011
- Official: Saboteur Unleashed Bedbugs In City Building - September 14th, 2011
- Pauls Pest Control Adel IA - September 13th, 2011
- New Task Force To Fight Bedbugs - September 11th, 2011
- Polk County creates bed bug task force - September 11th, 2011
- Residents Sue Apartments Over Bedbugs - September 8th, 2011
- Organic Biological Pest Control Product Non Toxic Green Best - September 8th, 2011
- Spring Brings Insect Invasion - September 8th, 2011
- Industry Adaptation and Advances in Bed Bug Control - September 8th, 2011
- Newswatch 18: The Year in Review Part 2 - September 6th, 2011
- Newswatch - Oct. 3, 2010 - September 5th, 2011
- Iowa Hotel Launches Bed Bug Battle - August 20th, 2011
- Bedbugs at Iowa State University - August 17th, 2011
- Bedbugs Get Iowa Motel Shut Down - August 17th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.