Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Contrary to what you may think, bed bugs dont have a preference between a spotless space or a filthy environment. As long as they have access to a food source, they can live anywhere, so claims that bed bugs are attracted to dirt and debris are simply unfounded. That being said, clutter does make it easier for these insects to hide, which may fuel the misconceptions. Their ideal environment is warm and provides access to a blood meal. Given those conditions, you may be wondering how fast bed bugs spread? Lets look at some of their travel habits and what you need to know about how quickly they can make themselves at home.
There's no escaping them. Bed bugs can be found in all 50 states, warns Oregon State University. And the news gets worse: Not only are bed bugs present everywhere, but the university's researchers warn that these pests "are on the rise...and not just in unsanitary locations."
Contrary to what you may think, bed bugs don't have a preference between a spotless space or a filthy environment. As long as they have access to a food source, they can live anywhere! Claims that bed bugs are attracted to dirt and debris are simply unfounded and misleading. That being said, clutter does make it easier for these insects to hide, which may fuel such misconceptions. Their ideal environment is warm and provides them with access to a human blood meal.
Given those conditions, you may be wondering how fast bed bugs spread? Let's look at some of their travel habits and what you need to know about how quickly they can make themselves at home.
Bed bugs spread so easily and so quickly, that the University of Kentucky's entomology department notes that "it often seems that bed bugs arise from nowhere."
Bed bugs don't have wings, but they spread quickly by hitchhiking and are agile and fast-moving once they're in your home. Typically, you pick up one or more of these unwanted hitchhikers when you visit a home or hotel that already has a bed bug infestation. The bed bugs hide themselves in your clothing, luggage, furniture and other items, and you inadvertently introduce them to your own house when you return home.
"Once bed bugs are introduced, they can crawl from room to room, or floor to floor via cracks and openings in walls, floors and ceilings," warns researchers at the University of Kentucky.
Bedare typically only found within about 8 feet of a person's resting space. However, what's more concerning is the distance that bed bugs spread from one infestation site to another. This distance is almost limitless due to the ability of bed bugs to survive without food for extended periods of time.
Research shows that adult bed bugs can survive for over a year without food. This means that the pests can hide on furniture, used items, clothing, footwear, luggage and other materials you've brought. They can then wait until they've traveled great distances, only to be unpacked and brought into a new home with a fresh supply of food (i.e., you and your family).
Ultimately, it can take mere minutes to travel from room-to-room, with infestations growing in a matter of weeks or months. Every day, bed bugs can lay between one and 12 eggs, and anywhere from 200 to 500 eggs in a lifetime. Those numbers should speak for themselves if you're wondering how long it takes to get an infestation of bed bugs and how quickly those bed bugs can spread. It doesn't take long for a problem to grow out of control, so the sooner you contact a pest control professional for inspection and treatment, the better off you'll be.
Bed bugs need to take blood meals from warm-blooded hosts preferably humans to survive, and they'll hide near their sources until ready to feed. How fast bed bugs spread from room to room depends partly on how long it takes to move an infested piece of furniture, clothing, luggage and/or another household item from one room to another. They can also move throughout the house in search of other hosts. If the conditions are favorable, they'll continue breeding wherever the item (or items) is moved.
The rate of how quickly bed bugs spread from house-to-house increases the more time you spend traveling or inviting people over to your home. Bed bugs are great hitchhikers, and hotels, hostels, airplanes, cruise ships and public transportation are ideal places to pick up these uninvited guests.
Bed bugs need blood meals to survive as well as to breed, but they don't physically live on human hosts. In fact, how bed bugs spread from person-to-person really doesn't have anything to do with people themselves but rather, the movement of infested items. For example, house guests could unknowingly bring them into your home from their travels and kids could bring them back on their backpacks after attending school.
Bed bugs are opportunistic, hiding and waiting until it's convenient to feed. And if their areas are disturbed, they'll find a way to move to a neighboring location, which can make the situation much more difficult to inspect and treat. Contact a Terminix bed bug control professional to get professional help in stopping the spread of bed bugs in your home.
Stopping the spread of bed bugs is all about slowing and preventing the transmission of these pests as they migrate from location to location.
First, always inspect anything that you're bringing into your home, especially if it's items from another household (e.g., used books, used clothing, used furniture, used children's toys, etc.) or if it's your own items that you used and stored in a hotel room, airplane, train, cruise ship, etc. Signs of bed bugs you should look for include:
If you notice any signs of bed bugs on your possessions, isolate the items and treat them for bed bugs before you bring them into your house.
If you're trying to stop the spread of bed bugs in the midst of an ongoing, current bed bug infestation, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says the following strategies are the most effective for keeping an infestation from spreading:
A bed bug infestation needs immediate professional treatment and control to keep these resilient pests from spreading throughout your entire home. Even one single missed bed bug can lead to a re-infestation if you are not careful.
At Terminix, we can help provide on-site inspections and put together a bed bug treatment plan tailored to the severity of your problem, the layout of your home and your personal lifestyle needs and preferences. Contact Terminix's bed bug professionals today!
How Fast Do Bed Bugs Spread | Terminix
- Kill Bed Bugs with Heat Treatment n Dickinson, North Dakota - September 5th, 2011 [September 5th, 2011]
- HeatTreatment to Eradicate BedBugs Minneapolis Minnesota - September 6th, 2011 [September 6th, 2011]
- Brent from St. Paul, MN Testimonial of "The Bed Bug Guys" - September 6th, 2011 [September 6th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Exterminating Down Town Minneapolis Heat Treatment - September 7th, 2011 [September 7th, 2011]
- Exterminator Killing Bed Bugs with out Pesticides in Shoreview, MN - September 8th, 2011 [September 8th, 2011]
- Serina's Testinmonial of the Bed Bug Guys Use Heat to Kill Bed Bugs for Good - September 8th, 2011 [September 8th, 2011]
- Exterminating Bed Bugs with Heat Treatment in St. Paul, MN call to get 10% off - September 9th, 2011 [September 9th, 2011]
- Killing Bed Bugs with Heat Treatment Shoreview, MN - September 13th, 2011 [September 13th, 2011]
- Preventing Bed Bugs - September 21st, 2011 [September 21st, 2011]
- 20% off Heat Treatment to Kill Bed Bugs Limited Time - September 23rd, 2011 [September 23rd, 2011]
- Plunketts Bedbug Heat Treatment WebPromo - September 24th, 2011 [September 24th, 2011]
- Have Bed Bugs Will Travel :: PART 3 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - September 25th, 2011 [September 25th, 2011]
- BED BUG OUTBREAK! :: Part 2 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - September 25th, 2011 [September 25th, 2011]
- Have Bed Bugs Will Travel :: PART 2 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 2nd, 2011 [October 2nd, 2011]
- Have Bed Bugs Will Travel :: PART 1 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 4th, 2011 [October 4th, 2011]
- California Girls (Gurls) - Katy Perry, Protege, - October 4th, 2011 [October 4th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Jeff St.Cloud 5-27-11 - October 4th, 2011 [October 4th, 2011]
- Eradicate BedBugs without Pesticides Minneapolis Minnesota - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Guys Killing BedBugs St. Cloud, MN - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- BED BUG OUTBREAK! :: Part 3 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 5th, 2011 [October 5th, 2011]
- BED BUG OUTBREAK! :: Part 1 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 6th, 2011 [October 6th, 2011]
- Bed Bug Exterminating without Pesticides Down Town Minneapolis - Video - January 27th, 2012 [January 27th, 2012]
- Exterminating Bedbugs in Savage, MN using Heat - Video - February 21st, 2012 [February 21st, 2012]
- Pest control experts: Bed Bugs a growing problem in Minnesota - Video - September 30th, 2012 [September 30th, 2012]
- INTERVIEW: Bed Bug Prevention - Video - October 2nd, 2012 [October 2nd, 2012]
- Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Understanding and Controlling Bed Bugs - National Pesticide ... - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Traveler Q & A: Preventing bed bugs from hitchhiking to your home ... - November 3rd, 2013 [November 3rd, 2013]
- Bed bugs: What you need to know — Hennepin County, Minnesota - November 8th, 2013 [November 8th, 2013]
- Guidelines for Dealing with Bed Bugs in a School Setting - Let's ... - November 9th, 2013 [November 9th, 2013]
- Travel Q&A: Bed Bug Prevention - University of Minnesota Extension - November 11th, 2013 [November 11th, 2013]
- Guidelines for Dealing with Bed Bugs in a School Setting - Let ... - November 18th, 2013 [November 18th, 2013]
- Travel Q&A: Bed Bug Prevention – University of Minnesota ... - November 23rd, 2013 [November 23rd, 2013]
- Bed Bugs - Ramsey County PH - November 27th, 2013 [November 27th, 2013]
- Detection and Control of Bed Bugs in Lodging Establishments ... - December 6th, 2013 [December 6th, 2013]
- Understanding and Controlling Bed Bugs - December 20th, 2013 [December 20th, 2013]
- Bed Bugs Minnesota | The official bed bug blog - January 16th, 2014 [January 16th, 2014]
- Company: Bed bugs on the rise in Dayton - January 18th, 2014 [January 18th, 2014]
- Bed Bugs - City of Minneapolis - Official Website of the ... - January 22nd, 2014 [January 22nd, 2014]
- Bed Bugs Ramsey County PH - January 31st, 2014 [January 31st, 2014]
- Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - - University of Minnesota - February 20th, 2014 [February 20th, 2014]
- Minnesota - Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment ... - March 10th, 2014 [March 10th, 2014]
- Bed Bugs City of Minneapolis - Official Website of the ... - April 13th, 2014 [April 13th, 2014]
- Minnesota - Bed Bugs - May 20th, 2014 [May 20th, 2014]
- What Temperature Kills Bed Bugs - November 19th, 2014 [November 19th, 2014]
- Guidelines for Dealing with Bed Bugs in a School Setting ... - February 6th, 2015 [February 6th, 2015]
- K9 Bed Bug Inspections Minneapolis MN, Quad Cities And The ... - February 6th, 2015 [February 6th, 2015]
- Traveler Q & A: Preventing bed bugs from hitchhiking to ... - February 6th, 2015 [February 6th, 2015]
- Bed Bugs in MN | Bedbugs Minnesota - Local Pest Control ... - March 6th, 2015 [March 6th, 2015]
- Bed Bug Registry Database Minnesota, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - March 6th, 2015 [March 6th, 2015]
- Bed Bugs - Adam's Pest Control, Inc. - August 23rd, 2015 [August 23rd, 2015]
- Bed Bugs: Symptoms, Bites, Prevention, Treatment and Removal - September 27th, 2015 [September 27th, 2015]
- Got bedbugs? New U of M resource center can help ... - March 7th, 2016 [March 7th, 2016]
- Bed Bugs 101 | Plunketts Pest Control - April 7th, 2016 [April 7th, 2016]
- Does Cold Kill Bed Bugs? - University of Minnesota - May 11th, 2016 [May 11th, 2016]
- Have I found a Bed Bug? - Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - January 9th, 2017 [January 9th, 2017]
- Using Freezing Conditions to Kill Bed Bugs | Let's Beat ... - February 12th, 2017 [February 12th, 2017]
- Using Freezing Conditions to Kill Bed Bugs | Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - March 10th, 2017 [March 10th, 2017]
- 5 Reasons Bed Bugs are the Most Disgusting Pests Ever - KOMO News - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Pest Control: Bed Bugs and Cockroaches in Minnesota ... - April 5th, 2018 [April 5th, 2018]
- What To Do About Bed Bugs - adamspestcontrol.com - April 13th, 2018 [April 13th, 2018]
- Bed bugs | UMN Extension - August 21st, 2018 [August 21st, 2018]
- Bed Bug Furniture Removal Minnesota | 11th Hour Clean - September 29th, 2018 [September 29th, 2018]
- Bed Bug Lawyer Minnesota Injury Accident Lawsuit - February 28th, 2019 [February 28th, 2019]
- just how cold should it be to kill bed bugs - BedBugsBites.net - April 25th, 2019 [April 25th, 2019]
- St. Paul schools say bedbugs have invaded some iPads - PostBulletin.com - September 21st, 2019 [September 21st, 2019]
- Bedbugs Found In Cases Of Student-Issued iPads In St. Paul - WCCO | CBS Minnesota - September 21st, 2019 [September 21st, 2019]
- Gross! What you need to know and do if your hotel room has bedbugs - USA TODAY - November 2nd, 2019 [November 2nd, 2019]
- Bed Bugs | LawHelp Minnesota - March 18th, 2020 [March 18th, 2020]
- Minnesota Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - March 18th, 2020 [March 18th, 2020]
- Everything You Need to Know to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Yahoo India News - September 8th, 2020 [September 8th, 2020]
- How Can I Permanently Get Rid of Bed Bugs at Home? - July 8th, 2022 [July 8th, 2022]
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.