Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Grossness is subjective, but bed bugs are objectively pretty disgusting.
"The common bed bug (Cimex lectularius) has long been a pest feeding on blood, causing itchy bites and generally irritating their human hosts," says the Environmental Protection Agency.
If the concept of blood-sucking bugs isn't creepy enough, learning about their amazing reproductive abilities and mutated features will really make your skin crawl.
In observance of Bed Bug Awareness Week, here are five nasty facts about these buggers.
1. They're almost invisible vampires
There's something unsettling about animals that subsist on the life force of other creatures a fact that's been used by countless horror writers and filmmakers to inspire dread in audiences.
Bed bugs love human blood. They use the nutrients they get from our blood to grow and reproduce, adding insult to injury.
These pests aren't even selective about their blood meals. They will also feed on cats, dogs and other pets, irritating every member of your family, including Fido.
2. If you spot one, there are already thousands creeping around
You know the creepy feeling you get when you realize someone is staring at you? It's exponentially worse to discover thousands of pests have been feeding on you while you sleep.
Bed bugs are prolific reproducers, so if you see one or discover a bite on your body, chances are there are a lot more lurking around your living space.
"After mating, females lay white, oval eggs (1/16" long) into cracks and crevices," according to researchers at the University of Minnesota. "An individual bed bug can lay 200 to 250 eggs in her lifetime. The eggs hatch in about 6 to 10 days and the newly emerged bed bug nymphs seek a blood meal."
They say three's a crowd, but you'll never catch bed bugs without at least a few hundred relatives to keep them company at their blood banquets.
3. They're mutants and hard to kill
Even vampires have their kryptonite they steer clear of Italian food with lots of garlic and anybody building a wooden fence. Unlike vampires, bed bugs have mutated and are immune to the techniques that could once kill them.
This immunity to pesticides has caused their numbers to rise and outbreaks of the pests to become more frequent in cities around the world.
"Experts believe the recent increase in bed bugs in the United States may be due to more travel, lack of knowledge about preventing infestations, increased resistance of bed bugs to pesticides, and ineffective pest control practices," according to the EPA.
4. They can live without food
If this fact weren't so disturbing, it'd be seriously impressive: in certain climates, some bed bugs can live a full year without eating.
They can enter a kind of hibernation state when there are no blood-filled hosts around, which will be interrupted when they sense animal body heat and the CO2 emitted by regular breathing.
5. Bites can cause allergic reactions and infection
The one upside to bed bugs is they don't carry microbes or parasites that we know to be communicable to humans. Their bites alone won't give you diseases, but their saliva can irritate skin and cause allergic reactions.
"Many people have mild to severe allergic reaction to the bites with effects ranging from no reaction to a small bite mark to, in rare cases, anaphylaxis (severe, whole body reaction)," reads a joint statement from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and EPA. "These bites can also lead to secondary infections of the skin such as impetigo, ecthyma and lymphangitis."
This is why it's so important to keep bug bites clean, avoid scratching, and treat an infested site as soon as possible after discovery. Find out how to deal with these disgusting pests here.
Have unwanted visitors already breached your defenses? Contact the professionals at Paratex for help. Theyll answer to your questions and can help create an Integrated Pest Management plan for your property. Paratex also help homeowners and businesses with bird control, wood-destroying bugs and other pest problems. Learn more and request a quote at http://paratex.com. Responses are speedy and prices are fair.
5 Reasons Bed Bugs are the Most Disgusting Pests Ever - KOMO News
- How Fast Do Bed Bugs Spread | Terminix - August 30th, 2022
- A landlord let squatters take over. Tenants are paying the price. - Minnesota Reformer - August 30th, 2022
- Last Chance to Get Hitched at the Mall - Racket - Racket - August 22nd, 2022
- How Can I Permanently Get Rid of Bed Bugs at Home? - July 8th, 2022
- Everything You Need to Know to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Yahoo India News - September 8th, 2020
- Constable: A year of hitching rides and carnival jobs in search of astounding stories - Chicago Daily Herald - August 25th, 2020
- Minnesota Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - March 18th, 2020
- Bed Bugs | LawHelp Minnesota - March 18th, 2020
- Gross! What you need to know and do if your hotel room has bedbugs - USA TODAY - November 2nd, 2019
- Bedbugs Found In Cases Of Student-Issued iPads In St. Paul - WCCO | CBS Minnesota - September 21st, 2019
- St. Paul schools say bedbugs have invaded some iPads - PostBulletin.com - September 21st, 2019
- just how cold should it be to kill bed bugs - BedBugsBites.net - April 25th, 2019
- Bed Bug Lawyer Minnesota Injury Accident Lawsuit - February 28th, 2019
- Bed Bug Furniture Removal Minnesota | 11th Hour Clean - September 29th, 2018
- Austin MN Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - September 29th, 2018
- Bed bugs | UMN Extension - August 21st, 2018
- Minnesota Pest Control Services | Plunkett's Pest Control - May 15th, 2018
- What To Do About Bed Bugs - adamspestcontrol.com - April 13th, 2018
- Pest Control: Bed Bugs and Cockroaches in Minnesota ... - April 5th, 2018
- Using Freezing Conditions to Kill Bed Bugs | Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - March 10th, 2017
- Using Freezing Conditions to Kill Bed Bugs | Let's Beat ... - February 12th, 2017
- The state of Northfield Estates: City officials respond after months of complaints - Southernminn.com - February 6th, 2017
- Minnesota mom pleads guilty after poisoning, smothering son to death - New York Daily News - February 6th, 2017
- Have I found a Bed Bug? - Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - January 9th, 2017
- Invisible Bugs crawling on skin? Strange sensation ... - December 11th, 2016
- Does Cold Kill Bed Bugs? - University of Minnesota - May 11th, 2016
- Bed Bugs 101 | Plunketts Pest Control - April 7th, 2016
- Got bedbugs? New U of M resource center can help ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs: Symptoms, Bites, Prevention, Treatment and Removal - September 27th, 2015
- Bed Bugs - Adam's Pest Control, Inc. - August 23rd, 2015
- Mosquito Experts Meet To Eradicate Summer Pests - April 12th, 2015
- Bed Bug Registry Database Minnesota, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - March 6th, 2015
- Bed Bugs in MN | Bedbugs Minnesota - Local Pest Control ... - March 6th, 2015
- K9 Bed Bug Inspections Minneapolis MN, Quad Cities And The ... - February 6th, 2015
- Traveler Q & A: Preventing bed bugs from hitchhiking to ... - February 6th, 2015
- Guidelines for Dealing with Bed Bugs in a School Setting ... - February 6th, 2015
- Minneapolis, MN Pest Exterminator | Pest Exterminator ... - January 29th, 2015
- What Temperature Kills Bed Bugs - November 19th, 2014
- Minnesota - Bed Bugs - May 20th, 2014
- How to spot and manage springtime bug infestations - May 4th, 2014
- Bed Bugs City of Minneapolis - Official Website of the ... - April 13th, 2014
- Minnesota - Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment ... - March 10th, 2014
- Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - - University of Minnesota - February 20th, 2014
- NDSU Treating Student Housing Pest Problems - February 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Ramsey County PH - January 31st, 2014
- Bed Bugs - City of Minneapolis - Official Website of the ... - January 22nd, 2014
- Cold kills dust mites in pillows, stuffed animals - January 18th, 2014
- Company: Bed bugs on the rise in Dayton - January 18th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Minnesota | The official bed bug blog - January 16th, 2014
- Pillow talk: Does extreme cold kill dust mites? - January 13th, 2014
- Understanding and Controlling Bed Bugs - December 20th, 2013
- A creepy, crawly issue - December 13th, 2013
- Detection and Control of Bed Bugs in Lodging Establishments ... - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Ramsey County PH - November 27th, 2013
- Travel Q&A: Bed Bug Prevention – University of Minnesota ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Guidelines for Dealing with Bed Bugs in a School Setting - Let ... - November 18th, 2013
- Travel Q&A: Bed Bug Prevention - University of Minnesota Extension - November 11th, 2013
- Guidelines for Dealing with Bed Bugs in a School Setting - Let's ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed bugs: What you need to know — Hennepin County, Minnesota - November 8th, 2013
- Understanding and Controlling Bed Bugs - National Pesticide ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Traveler Q & A: Preventing bed bugs from hitchhiking to your home ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Let's Beat the Bed Bug! - - November 3rd, 2013
- INTERVIEW: Bed Bug Prevention - Video - October 2nd, 2012
- Pest control experts: Bed Bugs a growing problem in Minnesota - Video - September 30th, 2012
- Exterminating Bedbugs in Savage, MN using Heat - Video - February 21st, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminating without Pesticides Down Town Minneapolis - Video - January 27th, 2012
- arsenal - Bed Bugs mix vol 1 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- arsenal - Bed Bugs mix vol 1 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- BED BUG OUTBREAK! :: Part 1 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 6th, 2011
- BED BUG OUTBREAK! :: Part 3 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 5th, 2011
- Bed Bug Guys Killing BedBugs St. Cloud, MN - October 5th, 2011
- Eradicate BedBugs without Pesticides Minneapolis Minnesota - October 5th, 2011
- Have Bed Bugs Will Travel :: PART 1 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 4th, 2011
- California Girls (Gurls) - Katy Perry, Protege, - October 4th, 2011
- Rid Bed Bugs in St. Louis Park with Heat Treatment 8-30-11 - October 4th, 2011
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Jeff St.Cloud 5-27-11 - October 4th, 2011
- Have Bed Bugs Will Travel :: PART 2 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - October 2nd, 2011
- BED BUG OUTBREAK! :: Part 2 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - September 25th, 2011
- Have Bed Bugs Will Travel :: PART 3 :: It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle - September 25th, 2011
- Plunketts Bedbug Heat Treatment WebPromo - September 24th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.