Everyone knows the old clich Dont let the bed bugs bite. The unfortunate truth is that those bites are becoming more common every day, right here in Saskatchewan.
Many people think that bed bugs have long since been eradicated. In fact, bed bugs have been around for centuries. Despite a significant decline in infestation rates during the last half of the twentieth century, bed bugs have never disappeared. Today, infestations across North America, including Saskatchewan, are showing marked increases. Just like the villain in a horror movie, bed bugs just keep coming back.
The small, reddish brown insects that create such significant problems feed on the blood of humans. The name bed bug comes from their habit of living in the mattresses and feeding on bed occupants at night.
Adult bed bugs have oval, flattened bodies, and are about 3/16 to 3/8 inch long. Their flat body allows them to hide deep in the cracks and crevices of any home or building. They are perfectly at home in mattresses and bedding, furniture, luggage and even vehicle upholstery.
Bed bugs come out of hiding at night to feed on humans, drawn to our body heat and the carbon dioxide we exhale with every breath. They inject an anesthetic into their feeding area, allowing them to gorge themselves for extended periods without being felt.
On average a bed bug will bite its human host up to five times before going back to the nest. Multiply that by 100 bed bugs and you may well be bitten 500 times in one night.
In addition to bites and the telltale red, itchy welts they leave, look for:
There are bed bugs in all countries and on every continent. There was a significant drop in bed bug infestations in the developed world during the second half of the twentieth century. Recently that trend has been reversed. Bed bug infestations can start from a host of different sources, but the insects are most often transported into buildings on furniture or other personal belongings
While bed bugs are extremely adaptable and can nest almost anywhere, they are most commonly found in:
Bed bugs are more than just an irritation or inconvenience. They can have a devastating effect on a broad spectrum of businesses, souring customer or client relations, severely damaging reputations, creating public relations headaches and even spawning legal issues. Commonly-affected businesses and institutions include:
Continue reading here:
Bed Bugs infestation heat treatment in Saskatchewan | Canadian …
- Bed Bug Regina, Saskatchewan | Pest Control & Bed Bug ... - October 27th, 2018
- Bed Bug Exterminators Regina - Bed Bug Ultimate Thermal ... - September 16th, 2018
- Identifying Small Brown Bugs | ThriftyFun - August 20th, 2018
- About Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Ultimate Thermal Service - April 4th, 2018
- Signs of Bed Bugs: How to Detect Bed Bugs - February 21st, 2018
- Bed Bugs - Poulin's Pest Control Services - February 2nd, 2018
- University Library | University of Saskatchewan Library - October 11th, 2017
- BUSINESS BEAT: Alberni businesses celebrate in August - Alberni Valley News - August 15th, 2017
- Fort Sask. travellers return home with bed bugs - Fort Saskatchewan Record - July 21st, 2017
- Identifying Bed Bugs - Orkin Canada - PCO Services - June 19th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Saskatchewan - Focus Canada Saskatchewan bed bug ... - June 16th, 2017
- Bed Bug Prevention While Travelling | Orkin PCO Services - March 5th, 2017
- Bed Bug Extermination Services Regina, Saskatchewan | 911 ... - January 15th, 2017
- Regina Experts on Bed Bugs, BTU's - Regina, SK - January 7th, 2017
- Bed Bug Services - Poulin's Pest Control - January 5th, 2017
- Bed Bug Bites - Orkin PCO Services - December 11th, 2016
- Poulin's Pest Control Services - Serving Western Canada ... - December 8th, 2016
- How to get rid of bed bugs? Saskatoon Pest Control - February 24th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home - February 6th, 2015
- Toronto Bed Bug Registry Maps Toronto, Ontario, Canada ... - February 6th, 2015
- Calgary-based company needs to address bed bugs, Saskatoon renters say - November 28th, 2014
- Bed Bugs infestation heat treatment in Saskatchewan ... - January 24th, 2014
- Insects: Identification and descriptions - Globe Pest Control Ltd - January 12th, 2014
- Insects: Identification and descriptions - Pest Control Canada - January 4th, 2014
- Eliminate Bed Bugs | Canadian Thermal Solutions - December 6th, 2013
- BEDBUGS - Pest Control Canada - November 3rd, 2013
- Canadian Thermal Solutions. Canine bed bug detection. Thermal ... - November 3rd, 2013