Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Bed bugs are not a pleasant topic but one that can be important among senior living communities. Although they were nearly eradicated for decades, many factors have contributed to a growing number of bed bug infestations since the early 2000s. And, because bed bugs thrive in close living environments, how to prevent bed bug infestations is a serious concern in most senior residences. The information were sharing will help your team understand the damage that bed bugs cause, identify signs of an infestation, and prevent the spread of bed bugs in your assisted living community.
Although they are very small (about the size of an apple seed), bed bugs can be detected by the naked eye. Adult bedbugs are flat, oval-shaped, and wingless insects that are reddish-brown in color. As their name implies, they mostly hide in the crevices of mattresses and bedding materials. However, they can also be found in other upholstered furniture and clothing. As an infestation grows, the bugs can travel throughout a building through cracks in the walls, electrical outlets, or wires and pipes.
You dont need to see the actual bugs to identify their presence. You may first notice spotting on mattresses, bedding, or clothing. This spotting is the result of blood stains that bed bugs leave behind when they are feeding.
Much like mosquitoes, bedbugs feed exclusively on blood from humans and other warm-blooded animals. They are nocturnal insects that feed on exposed skin while the host is asleep, with peak feeding activity occurring just before dawn.
The good news is that bed bugs are not known to carry or transmit diseases. They can, however, still pose risks of discomfort, sleeplessness, and anxiety to senior residents in assisted living communities.
The first sign of a bed bug infestation that your caregivers may notice is bites on their residents or residents complaining of bites. Victims of bed bug bites may present red raised bumps that are extremely itchy. They are suffering from an allergic reaction to the salivary gland injection made when a bug feeds.
But here is the tricky part, not everyone is allergic to bed bug bites. This means that bed bugs could be present and individuals may have been bitten but they do not react with any bumps. Research shows that only 30 percent of people who live in an area affected by bed bugs experience any reaction to their bites. In a population of individuals who are 65 and older, 42 percent did not show a reaction to the bites. Seniors often have a reduced sensitivity due to medications they take, including corticosteroids which can suppress their response to allergens.
This spectrum of sensitivity makes it possible for an infestation to spread before any warning signs appear.
Here are the steps your community should take to prevent bed bug infestations if any warning signs are present among your residents.
1. Suspected/Confirmed Infestation
If bed bugs are suspected or confirmed in a residents living area:
2. Confirmed Infestation Protocol
To prevent the further spread of bed bugs throughout your community:
Are you interested in educating your team further on bed bugs and how to prevent bed bug infestation in your assisted living community? Senior Living U offers a monthly in-service program focused on bed bug control.
February 22, 2018
Go here to see the original:
Prevent Bed Bugs in Senior Living Communities | Blog …
- Bed Bug Pest Control in Beaverton | Portland Bed Bug Services - October 6th, 2018
- Bed Bug Forum Portland Oregon - Bed Bugs Northwest - October 2nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Oregon & SW Washington - September 14th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Alvadore Oregon Best of 2018 - January 27th, 2018
- Oregon, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 12 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Permanently - November 9th, 2017
- The Central City Bed | Bed Bug Resistant Furniture Line - November 9th, 2017
- Bedroom Guardian Review: How I Got Rid of Bed Bugs | Does ... - October 14th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Multnomah County - October 5th, 2017
- Four Walls, a Roof, and Harold - Seattle Weekly - August 9th, 2017
- Alien Invasion! - PCT Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Most Americans fear bed bugs but can't spot one - WTAE Pittsburgh - June 19th, 2017
- Cost of bed bugs extermination service - Orkin - June 6th, 2017
- Cave Dwellers Battled Bedbug Bites Too - Scientific American - April 8th, 2017
- How to Recognize Bed Bugs: 4 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow - February 8th, 2017
- 5 Signs of Bed Bugs in Your Home - Bed Bugs Information ... - February 8th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Salem, Oregon - Pest Control - December 28th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Morgellons Research Group - July 22nd, 2016
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When You Travel | WanderWisdom - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Community Alliance of Tenants - Oregon - March 7th, 2016
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Bed Bugs Northwest - October 30th, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminators Removal Pest Control - Portland OR ... - August 7th, 2015
- How to Find Bed Bugs in a Mattress | eHow - February 15th, 2015
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When You Travel - HubPages - February 13th, 2015
- What to Use to Kill Bed Bugs - eHow | How to - Discover ... - February 6th, 2015
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Portland Hotels - Portland, Oregon ... - April 24th, 2014
- Bed Bug Registry Database Oregon, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - January 31st, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Oregon - Leupitz Pest Control - January 26th, 2014
- Bed Bug Exterminator Portland | Kill Bed Bugs Portland - December 28th, 2013
- Bed Bug Heat Treatments By Sprague | Seattle, Denver, Boise, Salem - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Information - Washington County, Oregon - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Portland Oregon : Bed Bugs Help - November 30th, 2013
- A flea? A bed bug? No, it's a carpet beetle! | Oregon and ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Information - Marion County Oregon - Bed Bugs - November 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Infestation - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- Marion County Oregon - Bed Bugs - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Oregon : Cleaning Solutions To Bed Bug Infestations - November 1st, 2013
- Take Five With Jonathan Smith - February 29th, 2012
- Phony Navy SEAL John Hoven Bed Bug Guy. Fake Fraud Phony Military Impostor. Don Shipley - Video - January 20th, 2012
- Green Choice - Bed Bugs - Video - December 15th, 2011
- How to Kill Bed Bugs with Nuvan Prostrips - Video - December 9th, 2011
- Bed Bug Identifier for iPhone and iPod Touch - Video - December 8th, 2011
- Killers Pest Elimination - Video - October 31st, 2011
- The Great Bed Bug Invasion - Part 1 - The Invasion Has Begun - October 5th, 2011
- Bedbugs and Traveling - September 30th, 2011
- The Great Bed Bug Invasion - Part II - September 28th, 2011
- Killers Pest Elimination - September 25th, 2011
- "Molly" The Best Bed Bug Detection Dog in the West. - September 9th, 2011
- SavantMD.com ~ How to Deal with Bedbugs ~ Health - September 7th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.