Right now, theres only one surefire way to know if youve got bed bugs and it itches like crazy. By the time you notice the lines of red, itching, burning bites, the bugs could have been multiplying in your mattress for days or even weeks. But researchers in Canada have a plan to catch the critters early and make it easier to stop an infestation from spreading.
A team of biologists and chemists at Simon Fraser University have identified for the first time a chemical scent that will lure bed bugs out of furniture and into traps. They published their research on the attractive pheromones in the chemistry journal Angewandte Chemie.
The biggest challenge in dealing with bed bugs is to detect the infestation at an early stage, said Gerhard Gries, one of the biologists who has spent years on the project. This trap will help landlords, tenants, and pest-control professionals determine whether premises have a bed bug problem, so that they can treat it quickly. It will also be useful for monitoring the treatments effectiveness.
Bed bugs were largely eradicated ages ago, but in the last decade they have reemerged in plague-like proportions around the world. Cities across the U.S. have seen infestations in homes, hotels, movie theaters and designer stores.
And once youve got bed bugs, theyre very hard to get rid of but very easy to pass around. An effective trap could help control the spread.
This isnt the first group to try to make a pheromone-laced bed bug trap, but it sounds like the SFU researchers have hit upon some promising compounds, said Brooke Borel, author of the upcoming book Infested: How the Bed Bug Infiltrated Our Bedrooms and Took Over the World (April 2015). Still, a new trap no matter how well designed will not get rid of the bed bug problem. Traps are tools that let pest controllers know bed bugs are in a home, but thats about it. Traps wont clear a bed bug infestation. For actual treatments, we still have limited choices, and that will likely continue.
The SFU team has brought their fragrant cocktail to Contech, a Canadian manufacturer of eco-friendly pet and garden products. They hope to have a commercial lure ready for sale in 2015.
See original here: Coming in 2015: The First Bed Bug Trap
Tags: a-new-trap, attractive, brooke-borel, first, make-it-easier, over-the-world, research, research-on-the, simon-fraser, time-, university, world
See the original post:
Coming in 2015: The First Bed Bug Trap Toronto ...
- Bed bugs strike P.E.I. | CBC News - February 15th, 2020
- Musty With Bed Bugs - Review of Ambrose Tourist Home ... - March 6th, 2019
- i got bug bites - Review of Sherwood Motel, Charlottetown ... - March 30th, 2018
- Freezing Bed Bugs: Does the Cold Kill Them? - January 7th, 2018
- Prince Edward Island, Canada Bed Bug Registry Map Bed ... - December 23rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs in Hotels - orkincanada.ca - February 15th, 2017
- Can Bed Bugs Jump? - Orkin PCO Services - January 24th, 2017
- Bed Bug Report for 3075 Prince Edward St, Vancouver, BC - April 11th, 2015
- NEW Mainstays Bed Bug Allergy Mattress Encasement- DOUBLE ... - April 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Facts: Where Do Bed Bugs Come From? Orkin ... - March 25th, 2015
- Saskatchewan, Canada Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - January 27th, 2015
- Scientists developing first bed bug trap Toronto ... - December 30th, 2014
- Just Bugs | GTA, Vaughan, Richmond Hill Bed Bug Pest Control - December 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites – Orkin PCO Services – Exterminator & Pest … - December 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Facts: Where Do Bed Bugs Come From? - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Control Products - Pest Control Canada - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Prince Edward Island Forum - TripAdvisor - November 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Bites - Orkin PCO Services - Exterminator & Pest ... - November 19th, 2013
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like? Bed Bug Identification - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Bites - Orkin PCO Services - Exterminator & Pest Control ... - November 3rd, 2013