The last two weeks I have had two separate calls on problems with bed bugs. While bed bugs may sound like a death threat if you have them, they can be controlled with the correct measures. These little insects are found worldwide in all living situations. The following article was provided by the Environmental Protection Agency:
1. Make sure you really have bed bugs, not fleas, ticks or other insects.
You can compare your insect to the pictures on our Identifying bed bugs web page or show it to your local Extension agent. (Extension agents are trained in pest control issues and know your local area.)
2. Dont panic!
It can be difficult to eliminate bed bugs, but its not impossible. Dont throw out all of your things, because most of them can be treated and saved. Throwing stuff out is expensive, may spread the bed bugs to other peoples homes and could cause more stress.
3. Think through your treatment options Dont immediately reach for the spray can.
Be comprehensive in your approach. Try other things first. Integrated pest management (IPM) techniques may reduce the number of bed bugs and limit your contact with pesticides. If pesticides are needed, always follow label directions or hire a professional. There is help available to learn about treatment options.
4. Reduce the number of hiding places clean up the clutter.
A cluttered home provides more places for bed bugs to hide and makes locating and treating them harder. If bed bugs are in your mattress, using special bed bug covers (encasements) on your mattress and box springs makes it harder for bed bugs to get to you while you sleep. Leave the encasements on for a year. Be sure to buy a product that has been tested for bed bugs and is strong enough to last for the full year without tearing.
5. Regularly wash and heat-dry your bed sheets, blankets, bedspreads and any clothing that touches the floor.
This reduces the number of bed bugs. Bed bugs and their eggs can hide in laundry containers/hampers Remember to clean them when you do the laundry.
6. Do-it-yourself freezing may not be a reliable method for bed bug control.
While freezing can kill bed bugs, temperatures must remain very low for a long time. Home freezers may not be cold enough to kill bed bugs; always use a thermometer to accurately check the temperature. Putting things outside in freezing temperatures could kill bed bugs, but there are many factors that can affect the success of this method.
7. Kill bed bugs with heat, but be very careful.
Raising the indoor temperature with the thermostat or space heaters wont do the job. Special equipment and very high temperatures are necessary for successful heat treatment. Black plastic bags in the sun might work to kill bed bugs in luggage or small items, if the contents become hot enough. Bed bugs die when their body temperatures reach 45C (113F). To kill bed bugs with heat, the room or container must be even hotter to ensure sustained heat reaches the bugs no matter where they are hiding
8. Dont pass your bed bugs on to others.
Bed bugs are good hitchhikers. If you throw out a mattress or furniture that has bed bugs in it, you should slash or in some way destroy it so that no one else takes it and gets bed bugs.
9. Reduce the number of bed bugs to reduce bites.
Thorough vacuuming can get rid of some of your bed bugs. Carefully vacuum rugs, floors, upholstered furniture, bed frames, under beds, around bed legs, and all cracks and crevices around the room. Change the bag after each use so the bed bugs cant escape. Place the used bag in a tightly sealed plastic bag and in an outside garbage bin.
10. Turn to the professionals, if needed.
Hiring an experienced, responsible pest control professional can increase your chance of success in getting rid of bed bugs. If you hire an expert, be sure its a company with a good reputation and request that it use an IPM approach. Contact your state pesticide agency for guidance about hiring professional pest control companies. Also, EPAs Citizens Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety provides information about IPM approaches, how to choose a pest control company, safe handling of pesticides, and emergency information.
If you would like more information, you can visit the EPA website at https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs.
Elysia RODGERS is the
agriculture and natural resources director for the Purdue University Cooperative ExtensionService in DeKalb County.
- It gets worse: cockroaches also found at bed bug infested government office in Ottawa - CTV News - October 10th, 2019
- Temple Israel Ner Tamids donation drive aims to send truck to border children in need - Cleveland Jewish News - October 10th, 2019
- Bed bugs shut down Pa. school district and parents are biting mad - PennLive - September 22nd, 2019
- 13+ Best Bed Bug Treatment: Bully, Spray, Trap, Powder ... - April 30th, 2019
- Rest Easy - Environmentally Friendly Bed Bug Spray - Twin ... - April 30th, 2019
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs, Fleas and Ticks | Sterifab Bug Spray - April 22nd, 2019
- The 7 Best Bed Bug Sprays of 2019 - tripsavvy.com - April 8th, 2019
- Bed Bug Exterminators, Bed Bug Removal - Expert Bed Bug ... - March 28th, 2019
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Killer Sprays Comparison Review ... - February 17th, 2019
- Bed Bug Bully - Natural Bed Bug Spray, 32 Oz - January 25th, 2019
- Bed Bug Spray by Dead Bed Bugs :: Kill bed bugs without ... - December 29th, 2018
- Top-10 Bed Bug Sprays: Fast Blood-Sucking Insect Killers - July 9th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Bed Bug Patrol Travel Size Spray 3oz- 100% ... - June 26th, 2018
- Bed Bug Killer Spray Makes Removal Easy - DoMyOwn.com - June 16th, 2018
- Bed Bug Spray???????? | Yahoo Answers - December 9th, 2017
- Bed Bug Killer Spray 1 Gallon Jug | EcoRaider Natural Bed ... - December 6th, 2017
- APH responds to Orkin's bed bug cities list - Sault Star - August 4th, 2017
- Railroad workers fed up with pest problem at Hearne hotel - KBTX - August 3rd, 2017
- Raid Max Bed Bug & Flea Killer 1 | Products | Raid brand ... - August 1st, 2017
- How to get rid of Bed Bugs. - Fox Weekly - July 27th, 2017
- Bed bugs in apartments at 3134 Hagman Crescent - Houston Today - July 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Killer Spray | Bed Bug Killers | Kill Bed Bugs ... - July 4th, 2017
- Bed Bug Killer Spray 16oz | EcoRaider Natural Bed Bug Killer - June 25th, 2017
- What is the Best Bed Bug Spray For Home - Bed Bug ... - June 23rd, 2017
- Blog: 11 pest control myths deflated - Delta-Optimist (blog) - June 23rd, 2017
- CWE residents ask for help against bedbugs - KSDK - June 14th, 2017
- Bayer Announces Updated Label for Temprid FX - PCT Magazine - June 5th, 2017
- More bed bugs found in Norfolk schools - wtkr.com - April 8th, 2017
- Bed bug treatment displaces some residents - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 23rd, 2017
- Sniffing dogs help get rid of bed bugs - The Daily Courier - February 16th, 2017
- Bed Bug Killer Spray | Spray To Kill Bed Bugs | Remedy For ... - February 8th, 2017
- Bed bugs close city public library branch - Democrat and Chronicle - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - February 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug Powder & Bed Bug Dust | Do My Own Pest Control - January 31st, 2017
- Bed Bugs 101 | What Products Work Best? | BedBug Central - December 17th, 2016
- Buy Bedlam Bed Bug Insecticide Spray to Get Rid of Bed ... - June 21st, 2016
- Harris 1 gal. Bed Bug Killer and Bed Bug Trap Value Pack ... - June 21st, 2016
- Best Bed Bug Spray For Killing And Getting Rid of Bed Bugs ... - June 21st, 2016
- Best Bed Bug Spray Reviews - get rid of bed bugs at home - June 21st, 2016
- Raid Max Bed Bug & Flea Killer | Products | Raid brand ... - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Patrol Value Pack (2) 24oz Bottles | Bed-Bugs.net - June 21st, 2016
- Best Bed Bug Spray Reviews: How To Kill Bed Bugs Yourself - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Spray | Safe, Organic Pest Control For Your Home - June 21st, 2016
- Canadian Bed Bug Site-Lots of disgusting images - June 21st, 2016
- PEST CONTROL CANADA | How to Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Killer: Steri-fab Spray Review - June 21st, 2016
- Bed bug spray and bed bug killer | Pest Control Supermarket - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Treatment| Natural Bed Bug Spray | EcoRaider - June 21st, 2016
- Rest Easy Bed Bug Spray - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - June 27th, 2015
- Bedlam Bug Bug Control Spray ePestSolutions - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Pest Control | Riddex | Orkin | Termites | Bed Bugs | Bed Bugs Treatment - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- Bed Bugs Force Man Out Of Tulsa Apartment - April 14th, 2015
- Bed Bug Spray - Bed Bug Killer - Video - March 6th, 2015
- How to Get Rid Of Bed Bugs on Couches and Furniture - Video - February 24th, 2015
- RAID BED BUG AND FLEA KILLER SPRAY Got Bed Bugs ... - February 23rd, 2015
- How do you GET RID OF BED BUGS? - Video - February 21st, 2015
- Bed Bug Spray is Natural Non Toxic Green Treatment for Bugs - February 16th, 2015
- Bed Bug Spray - Bed Bug Killer Pesticide & Insecticide ... - January 19th, 2015
- Does Harris Egg Kill Bed Bug Spray work? Got Bed Bugs ... - January 16th, 2015
- Researchers have finally discovered an effective way to exterminate bedbugs - December 31st, 2014
- Bed Bug Spray | bed-bugs.com - December 30th, 2014
- Residents speak out about bed bug infestation - December 30th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Infest Fort Worth Building, Employees Displaced - December 18th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Pest Control & Bed Bug Treatment Spain Costa Blanca - Video - December 12th, 2014
- Bed bug Control & Treatments in Atlanta GA | Repellent Sprays - December 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Spray - Discover The Best Bed Bug Spray - November 30th, 2014
- Bed bugs found in Clifton City Hall - November 28th, 2014
- Brackenridge high-rise infested with bed bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- PATH Director: Bed bugs gone: Woman staying at the shelter says the problem remains - November 10th, 2014
- Down and out and bitten - November 6th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bully - Bed Bug Spray 1 Gallon :: My Cleaning Products - November 3rd, 2014
- Class Action Suit Filed Against City Over Bed Bug Infestation - November 1st, 2014
- Fighting Bed Bugs at the Cabell County Library - November 1st, 2014
- Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bed Bug Spray - Bed Bug ... - October 29th, 2014
- Bed bugs plague Medford establishments - October 29th, 2014
- Bed bug how to kill - Video - October 20th, 2014
- roach killer Orlando Toll-Free 1-888-961-PEST Orlando roach killer - Video - October 19th, 2014
- Bed bugs found at Lima Senior - October 19th, 2014
- bed bugs Orlando Toll-Free 888961PEST Orlando bed bugs - Video - October 17th, 2014
- bed bug treatment Orlando Toll-Free 888961PEST Orlando bed bug treatment - Video - October 17th, 2014
- getting rid of ants Orlando Toll-Free 1888961PEST Orlando getting rid of ants - Video - October 16th, 2014