Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Families at Magee Elementary School have rallied to raise money to help three families get their homes treated for bedbugs(Photo: Submitted)
Magee Elementarycommunity members have rallied to help three families raise funds needed to heat treat their homes for bedbugs.
A GoFundMe page for the fundraiser shows that $4,115 has been raised. According to the page, the treatments are costly, typically ranging from $1,500 to more than $4,500, based onthe size of a home.
"It is time for us torally together to support families in our schoolwho have had the misfortune to contract bedbugs into their homes. Eliminating these little pests is difficult to do without professional assistance which is very costly," the GoFundMe page said.
Magee Elementary Principal Sue Sterner said the school learned in October that one of the school's families had an infestation of bed bugs, after a bug was found on a student's coat at the school. Sterner said bedbugs look similar to ticks.
The school also learned that two other families had bedbugs after students made comments to adults in the building.
All told, six students are affected.
The familiesworked on getting their homes treated while procedures were put in place at the school to prevent the spread of bedbugs.Sterner said all the affected families have been communicating with the school about themeasures they have taken to get rid of the bedbugs.
Sterner said she didn't know whether the familieswere connected with each other.
"While I can notify parents that their child has bedbugs or we have these bites or the actual bug, we can't exclude children from school for that. We're a public school. It's not a medical or health crisis. So, similar to head lice, it's a nuisance," Sterner said.
Sterner said that students from the affected homes go straight to the health room when they arrive at school and change into clothing and shoes the school keeps there for them.
The school heat-treatstheir outdoor winter gear so they can go to recess, and laundersthe clothes the students wore to school.
At the end of the school day, the students change back into the clothes and shoes they wore to school.
"We do their laundry here at school just so that we can limit the amount of things that go back and forth between the homes while it's being treated," Sterner said.
"Bedbugs are also different from head lice in that they can feed or bite and then go hide for two, three, eight, 10 months and not come out again until they need to feed. ...That makes bedbugs all the harder to get rid of as well," she added.
The Magee Elementary PTO has bought bins for all students to put their belongings in while they are in school, to keep items separate and prevent the spread of bedbugs.
Other measures included bringing in a pest control company, Batzer, which the school has a regular contract with, and bug-sniffing dogs. To bring the dogs in isaround $250 per visit.Cleaning and vacuuming also takes place in the school every day. Sterner said the school's custodian went above and beyond cleaning the health room at least twice a day and vacuuming common spaces several times a day. The laundry gets done by several people and wasn't an added cost, according to Sterner.
The Magee Elementary principalalso said she sent email updates to parents about what the school was doing to prevent the bugs from spreading.
Sterner said that the school is happy that the fundraiser will help thestudentsreturn to a normal routine.
"They come to school and they're the only ones changing here, and that's hard. I don't want to say it's psychologically (difficult), but it really is,it really isa trauma for kids to deal with what's in their home and then to come here and change their clothes. We really try to make it as private and as painless of an experience as we possibly can," said Sterner.
Sterner said other students are treating the six affected students as they normally would, for the most part.
She said the school iseducating students about bedbugs, that they can be picked up in many different places and not as a result of anything anyone knowingly did.
"We really need to be understanding of families dealing with this in their homes," Sterner said.
Parentsdecided to come together to help after realizing that it wasn't going to be a quick fix, according to Sterner.
Magee Elementary parent Stacy Grafenauerreached out to Sterner to see whether the affected families would be interested in financial assistance, and then organized thefundraiser for the families, who have asked to remain anonymous.
Grafenauer set a goal of $4,000, and hired Milwaukee Bed Bug Pros to administer the treatments toall the affected homes. The money was raised in just four days, from Feb. 7 to 11. Any additional funds that come in willbe used for follow-up treatments. The treatment was scheduled to start the week of Feb. 17.
"I'm very grateful to them (Milwaukee Bed Bug Pros)and to the families in our community that have really stepped up to make this happen," Grafenauersaid.
Sterner said this is an example of the family atmosphere at Magee.
"I think our community has really come together learning more about 'this could happen to anyof us.'People save money for Christmas gifts and they save money for vacations. Nobody saves money for bedbugs, so when and if it happens to you, it is going to be a cost you didn't plan for. I thinkas people realize that, we would hope that we would be able to help each other, should these unforeseen situations arise," said Sterner.
"I've been the principal at Magee this is my fifth year when I started, I heard from people (that) it's a great family atmosphere, it's a small school, they're really tight-knit, lots of traditions and that's truly what it is.
"It could as easily have swung the other way with negative press to ostracizing families, and instead, we've embraced each other, and I think coming out stronger on the other side. This is a great example for our kids as well. Anybody can get them (bedbugs). Doesn't mean they're bad people or anything like that. Look at how we can come together and help people."
ContactAlec Johnson at(262) 875-9469 email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @AlecJohnson12.
Our subscribers make this reporting possible. Please consider supporting local journalism by subscribing to the Journal Sentinel at jsonline.com/deal.
- Businesses pivot to meet the demand for COVID-19 disinfection - Fall River Herald News - August 3rd, 2020
- Woman whose neglect left 7 kids covered in dog bites was too poor to look after themso how did she buy new - The Sun - May 8th, 2020
- Certainly is a growing problem: Waukesha Fire Department has new tool to fight bed bugs - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - February 23rd, 2020
- Inside Public Housing Where Cockroaches Drop From the Wall and Kids are Getting Sick - ProPublica - December 13th, 2019
- Wisconsin Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - November 27th, 2019
- Bed Bug Control - Wil-Kil Pest Control Wisconsin - April 22nd, 2019
- Milwaukee Bed Bug Exterminator | Pest Control Service | A ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Northeast Wisconsin Bed Bug ... - Erdye's Pest Control - March 11th, 2019
- 1st American Pest Control Home and Office Pest Control ... - March 6th, 2019
- Bed Bug FAQs - University of WisconsinMadison - December 27th, 2018
- Bed Bug Report for Chula Vista Resort, Wisconsin Dells, WI - June 30th, 2018
- Bed bug resources - Bedbugger.com Bed bugs: news ... - April 27th, 2018
- Bed Bugs: What Every WI Landlord and Tenant Should Know - March 1st, 2018
- State-Specific Bed Bug Laws - Bed Bug Law by State - January 27th, 2018
- Wisconsin, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - December 30th, 2017
- Bedbugs - Tenant Resource Center - November 10th, 2017
- Treasure hunt - Isthmus - August 24th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - KVAL - August 6th, 2017
- Changing of the Guard - PCT Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Do you know how to spot a bedbug? KTVA 11 - KTVA.com - Anchorage, Alaska - June 20th, 2017
- Take 5 Club in need of more members - The Oshkosh Northwestern - June 18th, 2017
- Woman Alleges Bed Bugs At Wisconsin Dells Resort - 97ZOK - June 5th, 2017
- Air mattresses pose safety risk for babies - TV3 Xpos - TV3.ie - June 5th, 2017
- The world through the eyes (and nose) of a dog - The Boston Globe - The Boston Globe - February 11th, 2017
- Parents get few answers as DC school addresses bed bug issue - FOX 5 DC - February 6th, 2017
- St. Paul mother sobs through plea in death of infant son Twin Cities - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - February 6th, 2017
- A-Landlords - Wisconsin Exterminators | Milwaukee Bed Bugs ... - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed bugs in hotels? What two Wisconsin Dells visitors did - March 7th, 2016
- More reports of bed bugs at Wisconsin Dells hotel | Local ... - October 3rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Registry Database Wisconsin, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - February 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort ... - December 16th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Pest Control Solutions NOW.com - November 24th, 2014
- Traveling Without Bed Bug Hitchhikers | Muskego, WI Patch - November 2nd, 2014
- Hothead landlord piles up violations while tenants pay the price - October 31st, 2014
- Bedbugs attack at Manayunk movie theater, lawsuit claims - June 26th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - University of WisconsinMilwaukee - June 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Hotels | Raveable.com - hotel reviews without ... - June 2nd, 2014
- How to get rid of bed bugs! - City Home - April 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Wisconsin - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - February 13th, 2014
- BEDBUGS - Milwaukee - February 6th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade ... - January 10th, 2014
- Bed Bug Dogs WI | Canine Bed Bug Inspections In Milwaukee ... - December 23rd, 2013
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Bedbugs - December 20th, 2013
- Racine, Wisconsin Exterminators,Bed Bug Control, Pest Control ... - December 20th, 2013
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Services Wisconsin | Bed Bug Control Milwaukee ... - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Wisconsin Dells Hotels - Wisconsin ... - November 19th, 2013
- Critter Gitters Inc - Racine, Wisconsin Exterminators,Bed Bug ... - November 9th, 2013
- How to get rid of bed bugs! - BEDBUGS - November 8th, 2013
- Bedbugs - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - November 8th, 2013
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminator > WISCONSIN BED BUG EXTERMINATOR - November 4th, 2013
- Bed bug infestations on the rise in WI - WKOW 27: Madison, WI ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Wisconsin Dells Hotels - Wisconsin Dells ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Services Wisconsin | Bed Bug Control Milwaukee, Madison And WI - November 3rd, 2013
- Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite - May 4th, 2012
- Health hazards: Bed bugs, radon, hoarding - March 29th, 2012
- Mother of disabled man says she wasn’t notified about bed bugs - March 28th, 2012
- Trader Bill's experience renting with David Nadler - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Grandmother loses her Green Bay Packers possessions to bed bugs WITH VIDEO - February 2nd, 2012
- Bed bugs infest Milwaukee hospital - Video - December 9th, 2011
- Bed bug thermal heat treatment | How to get rid of Bed bugs using heat thermal remediation.mov - Video - December 9th, 2011
- 2 Bedbugs @3120-3128 W Wisconsin,Milwaukee WI 5320 - Video - November 28th, 2011
- 6 Bedbugs @3120-3128 W Wisconsin, Milwaukee WI 532 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- 7 Bedbugs @3128-3120 W Wisconsin,Milwaukee WI 5320 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- 4 Bedbugs @3128 W Wisconsin Milwaukee WI.53208 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- 3 Bedbugs @3120-3128 W Wisconsin,Milwaukee WI 5320 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- 1 Bedbugs @3120-3128 W Wisconsin,Milwaukee WI 5320 - Video - November 26th, 2011
- 5 Bedbugs @3120-3128 W Wisconsin,Milwaukee WI 5320 - Video - November 25th, 2011
- 3 Bedbugs @3128 W Wisconsin,Milwaukee WI 53208 - Video - November 25th, 2011
- Dead Bugs Bed Bugs Live 11/23/2011 @ House Of Guinness - Video - November 24th, 2011
- Bedbug Detectors - Video - November 24th, 2011
- HOTEL CARTER BED BUGS IN FRONT DESK - Video - October 15th, 2011
- wil kil NBC 15 Madison wmtv Oct 26 09 - October 7th, 2011
- SavantMD.com ~ 6 Tips about Bedbugs ~ Health - October 6th, 2011
- Volume One's Big Week, #97 - October 4th, 2011
- Bedbugs ! Coming to a town near YOU ! - October 4th, 2011
- Astronautalis Brett Favre Freestyle - Madison, WI 10/22/2010 - September 15th, 2011
- PestPlus - September 13th, 2011
- wil kil Max Interview Fox6 10 19 09 - September 11th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.