Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
South Dakota Department of Health 605-773-4945 This material is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical care. We are not able to answer personal medical questions. Please see your health care provider concerning appropriate care, treatment or other medical advice.
What are bed bugs?
(photo courtesy CDC)
Bed bugs are small, flat, brown insects less than inch long, about the size of an apple seed. Bed bugs feed on human blood which can cause itching and welts. Bed bugs are a re-emerging pest. The scientific name for bed bugs is Cimex.
Bed bugs are found in most parts of the world, including South Dakota. As the name indicates, they often live in beds. They can infest homes, hotels, dorms or any place people gather. Bed bugs hide in cracks, seams, creases and corners of mattresses, bed frames, chairs, sofas, walls or furniture. The bugs prefer wood and fabric over metal or plastic. The bugs hide during the day and creep out at night tosuck blood. The actual bug is rarely seen, but the reddish-brown dots and smears of excrement are visible.
Who gets bed bugs? Anyone may be bitten by bed bugs if they sleep in an infested bed or sit in an infested chair.
How do bed bugs spread? Bed bugs are hitchhikers and are spread by moving beds, furniture, luggage or clothing from one room or building to another. The bugs are small and their eggs are very tiny so they may not be seen when infested furniture or luggage is moved into a new home or building. Once introduced bed bugs may spread throughout the whole building.
Do bed bugs carry disease? Bed bugs are annoying, but they are not known to carry diseases. Some people do not feel or react to the bite, and dont even know they have been bitten. Others are more sensitive developing welts and redness where bitten. Occasionally itching and scratching may cause secondary infections, which if severe may need medical treatment. The night-biting habits of the bed bug may disrupt sleep.
Controlling bed bugs. Bed bugs can be difficult to control. It is best to have a professional pest controller apply the insecticides to kill the bed bugs. A lay person can look for bed bugs or their droppings in the seams of mattresses, bed frame cracks, night tables, wall moldings, wall and floor cracks, wallpaper openings, etc. Specially trained dogs can sniff out bed bug infestations. Wash the bedding and clothes in very hot water and dry at full heat, clean the carpets, rugs and curtains. Repair wall cracks. Get rid of clutter. The mattress should be scrubbed, including the seams. An infested mattress and box spring should be sealed in a waterproof, hypoallergenic mattress cover for at least 12 months (same type of cover used to control dust mites, such as Allerzip), or throw the mattress out. If you throw out an infested mattress, chair or couch, label it with permanent marker Bed bug infested.
Bed bugs fact sheet SD Dept. of Health South Dakota
- Does Your State Have a Bedbug Law? - The Spruce - April 2nd, 2019
- Can I file a lawsuit against a hotel or motel for bed bug ... - November 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bugs Malden MA - We Remove Bed Bugs in Malden MA - June 25th, 2018
- Kissing Bugs and Chagas Disease 25 Facts That Will Save ... - March 28th, 2018
- Dakota Cowboy Inn - Prices & Hotel Reviews (Custer, SD ... - February 11th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Hecla South Dakota Best of 2018 - January 23rd, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Yankton South Dakota Best of 2018 - January 23rd, 2018
- # Home Defense Kill Bed Bugs - (YouTube) - Moderno ... - December 6th, 2017
- Kill Bed Bugs Mellette South Dakota Best of 2017 - August 15th, 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Bedbugs and Travel - June 24th, 2017
- The Bugs Stop Here - Exterminator Long Island | Bug Control - January 15th, 2017
- How to Treat Bed Bug Bites with Natural Home Remedy Cure - February 9th, 2015
- Thank you for visiting Dakota Bedbug Detections website. - December 9th, 2014
- Dakota Bedbug Detection - November 27th, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Americinn of Rapid City, SD, Rapid City, SD - October 14th, 2014
- South Dakota Bed Bugs Control | Free Estimates | Bed Bugs ... - March 18th, 2014
- Bed bugs fact sheet - SD Dept. of Health - South Dakota ... - February 19th, 2014
- Bed bugs fact sheet – SD Dept. of Health – South Dakota - January 29th, 2014
- Bed bugs fact sheet - SD Dept. of Health - South Dakota - January 13th, 2014
- Profile - Bed Bugs - Plunketts - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Registry Database South Dakota, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Registry Database Ontario, Canada, National Bed Bug ... - November 25th, 2013
- Sioux Falls raising awareness to bed bugs - May 12th, 2012
- Hollis Brown- Bob Dylan (cover) - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.