Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
(MENAFN - The Conversation) Some critics of Black Lives Matter say the movement itself is racist . Their frequent counterargument: All lives matter. Lost in that view, however, is a historical perspective. Look back to the late 18th century, to the very beginnings of the U.S., and you will see Black lives in this country did not seem to matter at all.
Foremost among the unrelenting cruelties heaped upon enslaved people was the lack of health care for them. Infants and children fared especially poorly. After childbirth, mothers were forced to return to the fields as soon as possible, often having to leave their infants without care or food. The infant mortality rate was estimated at one time to be as high as 50% . Adult people who were enslaved who showed signs of exhaustion or depression were often beaten.
As a professor of social work , I study ways to stop racism, promote social justice, and help the Black community empower itself. A relationship exists between the health of enslaved Blacks and the making of America.
White masters, often brutal and violent, dehumanized the enslaved people who worked for them and became wealthy from their work. Slaveholders justified their treatment by relying on the widely accepted view of Black inferiority and the physical differences between Blacks and whites. Racist medical theory, the racist notion that the blacks were inherently inferior and animal-like who needed maltreatment to be sound for work, was a critical element .
Enslaved people were poorly fed, overworked and overcrowded, which promoted germ transmission. So did their housing bare, cold and windowless, or close to it. Because they were not paid, slaves could not maintain personal hygiene. Clothes went unwashed, baths were infrequent, dental care was limited, and beds remained unclean. Body lice, ringworm and bedbugs were common .
This treatment began in slave dungeons, built by Europeans on the coastal shores of Africa, where enslaved Blacks awaited shipment to the New World. In Ghana, for example, perhaps 200 were cloistered in tiny spaces where they ate, slept, urinated and defecated. Archaeological research has shown the dirt floors were soaked in vomit, urine, feces and menstrual blood. Conditions within the dungeon were so deadly that cleaning them was discouraged; those who tried risked smallpox and intestinal infections .
Diseases among the enslaved people in the colonies and later the states were common and at a disparate rate when compared to whites: typhus, measles, mumps, chicken pox, typhoid and more. Only as a last resort did the slave owner bring in a doctor . Instead, the white master and his wife would provide the health care, though rarely were either one trained physicians. Older enslaved women also helped , and brought their knowledge of herbs, roots, plants and midwifery from Africa to the Americas. As with everything else, Blacks had no say about their care. And if a doctor was involved, Black patients were not necessarily told anything about their condition. The medical report went directly to the slave owner.
Black women played multiple roles. Of course, they were part of the labor force. And they took care of the sick. But they were also the machinery for producing more black bodies. After the mid-Atlantic slave trade was banned , slave owners needed a new source of labor. A pregnant enslaved woman provided that possibility. The birth of a baby born into slavery meant profits that potentially lasted generations, a product requiring little investment.
Some of the Black women were used in medical experiments ; much of the research, some conducted without anesthesia, focused on maternal health. As the white scientists inflicted tremendous pain on the pregnant women, the infants being carried sometimes died . Through the torture of these enslaved women, many white physicians and white medical institutions gained considerable fame and wealth .
Adverse health consequences for Blacks facilitated the establishment of some medical advances, such as the invention of the speculum for gynecological exams. One enslaved woman reportedly endured 30 gynecological surgeries without anesthesia. Medical interests and also economic and political interests were served.
More than 150 years later, the health disparities of Black and white Americans remain. To fix what is wrong today, an understanding of the inequities of the past is an imperative. Only then can we begin to dismantle the structural racism that is replete within the American system. Knowledge of the history is necessary to explore and identify the underlying mechanisms to understand how racism revives itself to continue to produce health disparities, and ways to interrupt it.
- Bedbugs are an insidious neighbor | News | themountaineer.com - The Mountaineer - October 9th, 2020
- Top 10 Worst States For Bed Bugs | Which State Has The ... - July 20th, 2020
- 2013-2014 Bill 3143: Bedbug infestation - South Carolina ... - July 1st, 2020
- We were deported from the US to the wrong country - Myjoyonline.com - March 10th, 2020
- South Carolina Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - March 3rd, 2020
- Charleston, South Carolina Bed Bug Reports - March 3rd, 2020
- Bed Bug Control: Inspection, Removal & Extermination of ... - May 26th, 2019
- Bed Bugs: A Serious Problem for Hotels and Condos in ... - January 4th, 2019
- Are Bed Bugs Dangerous to South Carolina Residents? | Bed ... - December 10th, 2018
- Bed Bug Lawyer South Carolina Attorney Myrtle Beach - December 10th, 2018
- Florence SC Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - June 23rd, 2018
- Orkin West Columbia, South Carolina - June 3rd, 2018
- bed bugs | Live Healthy S.C. - March 17th, 2018
- South Carolina, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed ... - March 3rd, 2018
- Commissioner says he was only checking woman for bed bugs - Gaston Gazette - July 15th, 2017
- The bedbugs are back in town: Pest treatment protocol underway at ... - Charleston Post Courier - July 8th, 2017
- In the news - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - July 7th, 2017
- Officials report another bed bug infestation at Charleston fire station - ABC NEWS 4 - July 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug Attorneys Settle Claim Against South Carolina ... - June 9th, 2017
- Bed Bugs in Clothing - BadBedBugs.com - December 28th, 2016
- The difference between bed bugs and ticks | IPM in the South - March 7th, 2016
- President's Prescription: Bed bugs - wistv.com - Columbia ... - January 12th, 2015
- Bed Bug Control in Columbia SC | Home Pest Control - December 24th, 2014
- Creepy find on Craigslist: $225 couch costs family $3,000 - December 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment/Extermination Cost | Charleston,Myrtle ... - December 19th, 2014
- Orkin's 50 worst cities for bed bugs - WJBF-TV ABC 6 ... - November 30th, 2014
- KCK assisted living facility battling bed bugs - wistv.com ... - November 20th, 2014
- Bed Bugs in SC | South Carolina Bedbug Exterminator - October 8th, 2014
- Bed Bugs are Parasites and live off of us - PR Newswire ... - May 20th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Find New Homes In Honolulu Ambulances - April 18th, 2014
- Tests show Monkey Joe's does not have bedbugs - February 21st, 2014
- Where to Find - How Kill / Rid Bed Bugs | Charleston ... - January 21st, 2014
- Bed Bugs Atlanta | Clark Pest Remedy - TESTIMONIALS - January 16th, 2014
- Bed Bugs – Clemson University, South Carolina - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Clemson University, South Carolina - December 7th, 2013
- South Carolina Bed Bugs Control | Free Estimates | Bed Bugs ... - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection Remediation Services of South Carolina ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bugs?!?! - Myrtle Beach Forum - TripAdvisor - November 23rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Myrtle Beach Hotels - Myrtle Beach ... - November 18th, 2013
- Where to Find - How Kill / Rid Bed Bugs | Charleston, Myrtle ... - November 18th, 2013
- Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment & Prevention | Bed Bug ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Myrtle Beach Hotels - Myrtle Beach, South ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Where to Find - How Kill / Rid Bed Bugs | Charleston, Myrtle Beach ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment & Prevention | Bed Bug Patrol - November 3rd, 2013
- Apt. complex battles scourge of bed bugs - Video - February 3rd, 2012
- Bed Bugs Control and Termite Treatment Services | Home Pest Control - SC - Video - January 14th, 2012
- BBTV #35 - Phantom Insecticide for Bed Bug Control - Video - December 8th, 2011
- Bed Bug Exterminator Columbia 803-772-3637 - Video - November 24th, 2011
- Myrtle Beach Bed Bugs - October 6th, 2011
- Media Coursework film horror trailer - Don't Let The Bed Bugs Bite - October 5th, 2011
- There's a Monster in my Basement - October 4th, 2011
- Don't Let The Bed Bugs Bite (http://painfreefast) - September 28th, 2011
- Snow Cake Deleted Scenes part 1/2 - September 25th, 2011
- bed bug.3GP - September 22nd, 2011
- Coffi - Bed Bugs [Dubstep] - September 8th, 2011
- Arachnaboys - September 5th, 2011
- Organization Offers Free Bed Bug Treatments - August 17th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.