Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Perhaps you, like me, fired up your internet this morning just to wonder why #BedBugSummit was trending on twitter. Amazingly, this had nothing to do with noted bed bug Bret Stephens. News broke yesterday that noted impeachment inquiry star Donald Trump decided to add another offense to the incredibly long list of bad things hes done just this month and award himself the G-7 (Group of Seven) summit at his own resort property in Doral, Florida. That resort? Apparently infested with bed bugs.
Not only is this gross and not only is this just another stunt by Trump to build up his own brand and empire off the presidency, its a clear violation of the Emoluments clause on the United States Constitution. Now, we know that Donald Trump neither cares about nor understands the constitution as he has made clear for years. But we care about it and we know you do too, so what isthis important but hard to spell clause all about?
The Emoluments clause (not the emollients clause or the annulments clause, thank you, spellcheck) is found in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8 of the Constitution. Heres the text:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
So, what is an emolument? According to Merriam-Webster, its the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites. So, its a fancy way of saying payment or gifts. The clause was intended to prevent foreign influence over US elected leaders, a ship which has clearly sailed for Trump, but hes still in violation of the Constitution even if he says hes not.
Its the foreign state thing thats the big deal here. By setting the G-7 at his own, vermin-infested resort, the president is requiring foreign countries to pay him money to stay there. This is far different from the near-constant stream of cash that his administration and campaign have funneled into Trump propertiesthis is soliciting and demanding foreign money to go into his own pockets.
Theres an even wilder aspect to thisTrump is already being sued for violating the Emoluments Clause by Maryland and DC and the suit is on-going. And its separate from a different Emoluments suit because he refused to divest himself of his empire. The very fact Trump continually benefits from foreign and domestic use of his (crappy) resorts and hotels is blatantly self-serving and unconstitutional.
Does this affect the impeachment inquiry? Not really. That inquiry is focused on the pressuring of foreign powers to interfere in American elections, with a deep connection to Ukraine. But there is a tenuous emoluments connectionRudy Giuliani. Hes under scrutiny for working with Ukraine to pressure and lobby on their behalf and some of that influence prior to his appointment as legal counsel to the pres was about getting a Trump property built in Ukraine.
This is all a complex mess of corruption with so much self-dealing and disregard for the laws of the land that it could make your head spin. The simple thing to understand here is this: the decision to put the G-7 at the Doral property is another in a long line of greedy, illegal things Trump has done, but perhaps this one is bad enough, and public enough, that it will add to the growing tide of scandals and finally get this guy out of here.
At least we can dream of it? So goodnight, and please, let these bed bugs bite.
(image: Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com
- Oregon Health Authority : About Bed Bugs : Pesticide ... - March 11th, 2021
- Ionescu adjusting to life in WNBA bubble - Brooklyn Daily Eagle - July 16th, 2020
- Common Bugs in Oregon | The Bug Man Portland & Vancouver ... - April 11th, 2020
- Researchers, growers have 'superweeds' in their sights | Research Center - Capital Press - April 11th, 2020
- Prevent Bed Bugs in Senior Living Communities | Blog ... - March 14th, 2019
- Bed Bug Pest Control in Beaverton | Portland Bed Bug Services - October 6th, 2018
- Bed Bug Forum Portland Oregon - Bed Bugs Northwest - October 2nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Oregon & SW Washington - September 14th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Alvadore Oregon Best of 2018 - January 27th, 2018
- Oregon, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 23rd, 2017
- 12 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Permanently - November 9th, 2017
- The Central City Bed | Bed Bug Resistant Furniture Line - November 9th, 2017
- Bedroom Guardian Review: How I Got Rid of Bed Bugs | Does ... - October 14th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Multnomah County - October 5th, 2017
- Four Walls, a Roof, and Harold - Seattle Weekly - August 9th, 2017
- Alien Invasion! - PCT Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Most Americans fear bed bugs but can't spot one - WTAE Pittsburgh - June 19th, 2017
- Cost of bed bugs extermination service - Orkin - June 6th, 2017
- Cave Dwellers Battled Bedbug Bites Too - Scientific American - April 8th, 2017
- How to Recognize Bed Bugs: 4 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow - February 8th, 2017
- 5 Signs of Bed Bugs in Your Home - Bed Bugs Information ... - February 8th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Salem, Oregon - Pest Control - December 28th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Morgellons Research Group - July 22nd, 2016
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When You Travel | WanderWisdom - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Community Alliance of Tenants - Oregon - March 7th, 2016
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Bed Bugs Northwest - October 30th, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminators Removal Pest Control - Portland OR ... - August 7th, 2015
- How to Find Bed Bugs in a Mattress | eHow - February 15th, 2015
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When You Travel - HubPages - February 13th, 2015
- What to Use to Kill Bed Bugs - eHow | How to - Discover ... - February 6th, 2015
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Portland Hotels - Portland, Oregon ... - April 24th, 2014
- Bed Bug Registry Database Oregon, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - January 31st, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Oregon - Leupitz Pest Control - January 26th, 2014
- Bed Bug Exterminator Portland | Kill Bed Bugs Portland - December 28th, 2013
- Bed Bug Heat Treatments By Sprague | Seattle, Denver, Boise, Salem - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Information - Washington County, Oregon - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Portland Oregon : Bed Bugs Help - November 30th, 2013
- A flea? A bed bug? No, it's a carpet beetle! | Oregon and ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Information - Marion County Oregon - Bed Bugs - November 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Infestation - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- Marion County Oregon - Bed Bugs - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Oregon : Cleaning Solutions To Bed Bug Infestations - November 1st, 2013
- Take Five With Jonathan Smith - February 29th, 2012
- Phony Navy SEAL John Hoven Bed Bug Guy. Fake Fraud Phony Military Impostor. Don Shipley - Video - January 20th, 2012
- Green Choice - Bed Bugs - Video - December 15th, 2011
- How to Kill Bed Bugs with Nuvan Prostrips - Video - December 9th, 2011
- Bed Bug Identifier for iPhone and iPod Touch - Video - December 8th, 2011
- Killers Pest Elimination - Video - October 31st, 2011
- The Great Bed Bug Invasion - Part 1 - The Invasion Has Begun - October 5th, 2011
- Bedbugs and Traveling - September 30th, 2011
- The Great Bed Bug Invasion - Part II - September 28th, 2011
- Killers Pest Elimination - September 25th, 2011
- "Molly" The Best Bed Bug Detection Dog in the West. - September 9th, 2011
- SavantMD.com ~ How to Deal with Bedbugs ~ Health - September 7th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.