Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
This image of a taxonomic network of bacterial diversity on bedbugs comes from Michael Fisher, who won first place for graduate students and postdocs in the graphics category. Click to see a larger version on Flickr.
First place for graphics and illustration among faculty and staff goes to a Mars map from Paul Byrne, an assistant professor in the Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences who specializes in planetary geology.
The planet Mars has fascinated humanity for thousands of years, Byrne says. Recent spacecraft missions have returned an unprecedented view of the Red Planet, equipping us with new information with which to understand Mars geological history. Here, topographic data for the entire planet show the vast, low-lying plains to the north, enormous impact basins in the southern hemisphere and, to the west, the largest volcanoes in the solar system the tallest of which, Olympus Mons, towers 21 km above its surroundings!
Mars is very like our own world in some respects, yet vastly different in others, Byrne adds. Exploring the Red Planet in three dimensions that is, with both photographic images and topography we can start to investigate questions impossible to tackle with images alone. As a result, data sets like this one (global topography from the Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter instrument, flown on NASAs Mars Global Surveyor) enable us to understand when and where volcanic activity was prevalent on Mars, for example, which in turn tells us when the planet was geologically active, and possibly why its no longer active today.
The first place winner for graduate students and postdocs is Michael Fisher (for the image at the top of this post), a Ph.D. student in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, whose image shows an Operational Taxonomic Unit (OTU) network that illustrates the diversity of bacteria among bed bug populations around North Carolina. Each colored dot in the center represents a different sample location around the state. The sand-colored dots on the periphery correspond to an individual OTU of bacteria connected by the blue lines, shedding light on the relationships. The bed bug gut microbiome remains poorly understood, including bacterial species abundance, diversity, and dynamics. This project examined the gut microbiome of the common bed bug Cimex lectularius from 15 populations around North Carolina.
Bed bugs have not been largely implicated in the epidemiology of disease transmission, but they can acquire a myriad of pathogens from their hosts, and may be important vectors of bacterial pathogens, Fisher says. Additionally, several species of insecticide-degrading bacteria were discovered, which may suggest a newly-discovered mechanism of insecticide resistance in bed bugs yet to be investigated.
The second-place submission among faculty was Rich Spontak, Distinguished Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. His image, which he calls Plates on Lava, is an unedited confocal laser scanning microscope gif of a polymer film composed of a special type of Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane (POSS) solvent-casted with PEO (Polyethylene oxide).
Note the segregated plaque-like phase domains (purple-blue colored), formed by POSS crystals, Spontak says. This is the first observation of plaque-like phase domains produced in a polymer film by non-covalently bonded POSS. We are beginning to understand the driving force(s) behind these plaque-shaped domains. Besides the thermodynamic relation between POSS and polymer, the main influence comes from the solvent. The solvent molecules help POSS molecules to interlock themselves like LEGO pieces. Thus we observe the POSS plaque formations on the polymer, which seem like continental plates floating on lava.
Spontak notes that the related research is important because POSS is a unique 3D hybrid molecule that fuses in organic as well as inorganic chemistry. Since it improves thermal and mechanical properties of polymeric materials, it is applicable in a wide range of industries from electronic to biomedical applications. In particular, this study shows how plaque-like POSS domains can be formed on polymer films as a protection shield without making any chemical reaction between POSS and polymer molecules. This approach is an easy way to protect polymeric materials against oxidation, X-rays, UV-light and thermal radiation.
The second place submission among students was from Dheepak Nandkishore Khatri, a masters student in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, for a sound localization image.
This picture shows the universal response of an array of microphones designed and signal-processed to receive sound only from desired locations, Khatri says. The red and black zones are zones of destructive interference, i.e., no sound is recorded from these zones, thus receiving sound only from the white pillars you see in the image.
Localization of sound is beneficial in many engineering applications, where sound from only certain locations is desired, Khatri says. Localization can be achieved using an array of microphones, making it a simple and cost-effective solution.
Note: You can find the work from winners in all of the research image contest categories here.
See the original post here:
Bedbugs and Mars: Graphics Winners of the 2017 NC State Research Image Contest - NC State News
- Inspections of long-term care facilities with outbreaks - North Carolina Health News - April 11th, 2020
- When Marginalized Folk Take Our Lives, It's Because the State Already Has - Wear Your Voice - April 11th, 2020
- Charlotte Ranked As A Top 20 City For Bed Bugs: Orkin - Charlotte, NC Patch - January 15th, 2020
- Can bed bugs make you sick? [2018 comprehensive health ... - April 27th, 2019
- How to inspect your hotel room for bed bugs | Rentokil ... - March 16th, 2019
- Summer Travel Season Without Bed Bugs | North Carolina ... - February 26th, 2019
- Top 10 Myths about Bedbugs [Slide Show] - Scientific American - September 21st, 2018
- Pest Control North Carolina | Get Rid of Bed Bugs in North ... - July 25th, 2018
- Carpet Beetles vs. Bed Bugs | Ehrlich Pest Control - May 27th, 2018
- Bedbugs - Biology and Control | NC State Extension ... - April 4th, 2018
- North Carolinas misguided Landlord/Tenant Bed bug ... - February 11th, 2018
- North Carolina, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed ... - February 3rd, 2018
- North Carolina Bed Bug Law - Property Management Wilmington NC - January 21st, 2018
- Is your city on this list of the most beg bug-infested? | KIRO-TV - KIRO Seattle - August 22nd, 2017
- NCPMA's tips: Traveling without bed bugs - Montgomery Herald - July 12th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | North Carolina Cooperative Extension - June 28th, 2017
- Microbes: It's the Little Things that Matter (Part II) - PCT Magazine - June 27th, 2017
- Bed bugs a growing problem in Upstate, say exterminators - WSPA.com - June 23rd, 2017
- State officials will address bed bug issue Monday before Craven commissioners - New Bern Sun Journal - June 18th, 2017
- Most Americans fear bed bugs but can't spot one - WISN Milwaukee - June 15th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - Fox Baltimore - June 6th, 2017
- Lake Taylor H.S. to be treated after bed bug sightings - WAVY-TV - April 8th, 2017
- NCPMA PestLine to Answer Consumer Pest Management Questions - PCT Magazine - April 8th, 2017
- Go-Forth's Fain Recognized as NCPMA's 2016 Technician of the Year - PCT Magazine - February 22nd, 2017
- The luxury effect - The Statesman - February 12th, 2017
- Bed bug infestation temporarily closes Alabama fire station - KUTV 2News - February 6th, 2017
- The extermination business | February 2, 2017 | Florida Weekly - Florida Weekly - February 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control, NC | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - December 28th, 2016
- Johnston County, North Carolina Environmental Health ... - March 26th, 2016
- How to prevent the spread of bed bugs - YouTube - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Pest Control, Exterminators Raleigh, Charlotte ... - February 9th, 2015
- Bed Bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - North Carolina Landlord-Tenant Law - February 6th, 2015
- State shuts down assisted living facility in Holly Ridge - January 14th, 2015
- cost of bedbug treatment Archives | NC Bed Bugs - January 5th, 2015
- Orkin's 50 worst cities for bed bugs - WNCN: News, Weather ... - November 29th, 2014
- SPCAP ~ Sleep Products ~ Bed bugs - North Carolina ... - June 5th, 2014
- Officials Confirm Presence of Bed Bugs in NC Marine Base ... - April 18th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Trouble Pitt County Elementary, My Cleaning Products Suggest a Bed Bug Spray to Help Counter the Critters - April 3rd, 2014
- Tracking Bed Bug Infestations - January 10th, 2014
- Bed bugs grow faster in groups - January 10th, 2014
- North Carolina Landlord-Tenant Law: NORTH CAROLINA BED BUG ... - December 31st, 2013
- NCSU Entomology Insect Notes - December 19th, 2013
- North Carolina’s misguided Landlord/Tenant Bed bug Liability ... - December 15th, 2013
- NCSU Entomology Insect Notes - North Carolina Cooperative ... - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - North Carolina Cooperative Extension | Empowering ... - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment and Pest Control | Clegg's Termite & Pest ... - November 25th, 2013
- Report Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Reports | Bed Bug Hotels and ... - November 18th, 2013
- Prep 4 Bed Bugs - home - November 11th, 2013
- NCSU Entomology Insect Notes - North Carolina Cooperative Extension - November 8th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Clegg's Termite & Pest Control | North Carolina Pest ... - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bug Control / Inspections - North Carolina Residential Pest ... - November 5th, 2013
- Professional Bed Bug Services & Bed Bug Prevention | Palmetto ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment and Pest Control | Clegg's Termite & Pest Control - November 3rd, 2013
- Plans to shut down assisted living facility are moving forward - October 5th, 2012
- Exterminator in Lexington, NC - Terminix - Video - May 25th, 2012
- New Hanover Courthouse Denies Bed Bug Infestation, Still BedBugControl911.com Suggests the Purchase of Green Bed Bug ... - March 11th, 2012
- JUDGE: No bed bugs inside NHC Courthouse, carpet beetle instead - March 9th, 2012
- Spring fever hits gardener - March 2nd, 2012
- http://www.southwesterncedaroil.com - How to Spray Cedar Oil Blend Formula on yourself - Video - March 2nd, 2012
- Bed Bug Pesticides Worse than the Pest! - Video - February 21st, 2012
- Rick Barnes comes to the rescue of Georgetown boys home - February 20th, 2012
- Tarheel Canine Training Offers Grant for Free Trained Police Dog - February 13th, 2012
- Charlotte Pest Control Company provide Bed Bug Treatment 704-392-3341 - Video - January 20th, 2012
- Charlotte Pest Control Company finds bed bugs in a radio - Video - January 10th, 2012
- Terminix Bed Bug Dog - Silas - Video - December 16th, 2011
- Terminix Co. of North Carolina Bed Bug Inspection Dogs - Video - December 12th, 2011
- Frisbee the Bed Bug Sniffing Dog - Video - December 8th, 2011
- Smith Exterminating Company | Pest Control | Raleigh NC - Video - November 19th, 2011
- DAYS INN IN POMPANO BEACH, FL - Video - November 6th, 2011
- Farm And Garden Solutions Inc Greensboro NC - Video - October 15th, 2011
- HOLDEN BEACH, NC FIELD TEST 2 - Video - October 15th, 2011
- Smith Termite And Pest Control Winston-Salem NC - Video - October 15th, 2011
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs Report www.NewBernExterminators.com - October 5th, 2011
- WWAY's Ramon Herrera Reports: Bed Bugs a Problem in Cape Fear - October 4th, 2011
- All About Bedbugs - October 4th, 2011
- Termite and Bed Bug Detection Dog - October 4th, 2011
- What are Bed Bugs - October 4th, 2011
- Xmas Jam Pre Jam II @ The Downtown Inn - Asheville, NC - 12-11-10 - October 3rd, 2011
- Exterminators Morganton | Morganton NC Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Ants | Brown Pest Control | Clemmons NC - September 30th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.