Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
The New Jersey nursing home where 17 bodies were found stuffed into a tiny morgue last month was hit with a hefty fine Friday after federal inspectors found that residents there were put at risk of "serious injury, harm impairment or death."
The Andover Subacute and Rehabilitation II facility in Sussex County must pay $220,235 more than $14,000 for each day that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) found the "facility was not in substantial compliance with federal requirements," from April 6 to April 20. The home also faces other fines, and the monetary penalties will accrue "until substantial compliance is achieved or termination occurs," according to a May 7 statement by Rep. Josh Gottheimer, D-N.J.
The nursing home currently has 133 residents and 54 staff members who have tested positive for coronavirus, according to the congressman. In total, 94 residents and one staff member have died.
"These failures in proper infection control practices had the potential to affect all residents in the facility through the development and transmission of COVID-19 and other communicable disease," said the CMS inspection report cited in Gottheimer's statement. "It was determined that the providers noncompliance with one or more requirements of participation has caused, or was likely to cause, serious injury, harm impairment or death to residents."
The report detailed specific instances of disturbing neglect and violations at the home, the statement said.
On April 10, a resident had fallen on the floor by the bed and sustained a head abrasion. The resident was pronounced dead the next day. A physician's report read: Found dead this am ... not performed Physical-COVID-19 test was done? ... High fever for the last few days that was not brought to my attention. Flu like illness, likely COVID-19.
Patients' elevated temperatures and symptoms were not documented, the inspectors found.
In one case, a resident was found to have a fever of nearly 105 on April 6. Then next day, the patient's temperature was not documented, and the day after that the resident died. "No documentation of coronavirus monitoring was found regarding the respiratory symptoms which included coughing or shortness of breath assessment for this resident," according CMS report excerpts in Gottheimer's statement.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
Documentation did indicate the practice of placing patients with COVID-19 symptoms in rooms with residents who did not have symptoms, according to CMS. The inspectors also found "multiple instances of insufficient PPE usage and protection for staff in the facility."
I am absolutely disgusted and heartbroken for the residents, staff and families about the conditions this CMS inspection has uncovered from the facility in Andover. The loss of life and the circumstances that so many of the residents faced are a complete tragedy," Gottheimer said.
In mid-April, an anonymous tip led to the discovery of 17 bodies crowded into a four-person morgue at Andover, which is one of New Jersey's largest nursing homes. They were just overwhelmed by the amount of people who were expiring, Eric C. Danielson, the towns chief of police told The New York Times at the time.
The center has been hit with two federal fines over the past three years, totaling more than $20,000, and had a rating of "much below average" for its health and overall categories before the pandemic, according to a Health Department report obtained by NBC New York. The home has been issued dozens of citations over recent years.
Former employees who declined to be identified told NBC New York that conditions at the home were bad long before the coronavirus crisis.
"There would be urine and fecal matter on the floor, in the hallway, in the bedroom, like it was just gross. ... I have seen bedbugs in patient beds and, you know, we have reported this a couple of times and nothing is being done about it. Nothing. They don't care about the patients," said one. "And then with the virus happening ... things just got 10 times worse because there's nobody there to help these residents, because of the staff being so scared of working there."
But Andover would ask staff to come in to work even if they had been symptomatic for the coronavirus, the former employee said.
Another worker said staffers weren't given the proper personal protective equipment. "I would wear a mask because I would bring a mask from home. They wouldn't give me a mask," the employee said, adding that one person, believed to be a supervisor, said they "shouldn't have a mask on" and that the facility didn't have any to give out.
One of the owners of the home was a top executive at a collapsed chain of troubled nursing homes previously investigated by NBC News. Federal records show that Louis Schwartz, who is listed as a 50-percent owner of the Andover, was a vice president at Skyline Healthcare, a now-defunct nursing home chain that was plagued by allegations of neglect and mismanagement and the subject of more than a dozen lawsuits.
A statement from Mutty Scheinbaum, an owner and operator of Andover Subacute, said that while CMS "noted areas of improvement for Andover Subacute II," it "determined that the facilitys remediation plan was acceptable as fatalities continue to drop at the facility."
But a letter from CMS said the Andover facility has 10 days to submit an extensive plan of correction or else it will face additional fines.
Scheinbaum said "Andover has made steady progress over the past several weeks. The number of virus-related deaths at the facility has dropped precipitously and is now down by approximately 90 percent as compared to the height of the pandemic.
"Dozens of staff who were in quarantine have been able to return to work and the workforce is at full strength with a team of new consultants and other professionals on board to help us through this crisis," the statement said, adding, "PPE inventory is also being restored."
While nursing homes around the country have been hit hard by coronavirus cases, none have been more slammed than New Jersey's. More than half of the state's COVID-19 deaths have come from long-term care facilities, 513 of which have seen viral outbreaks.
This week, Gottheimer introduced the Nursing Home Pandemic Protection Act of 2020 to make it federal law for nursing homes to report communicable diseases, infections, and potential outbreaks to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and keep patients' families informed of infections at facilities. The law would also require homes to have crisis plans, and a stockpile of PPE.
- Bed Bugs Treatment New Jersey | T3 Bed Bug Control - March 18th, 2020
- New Jersey Bed Bug Control Action Bed Bug Extermination ... - March 18th, 2020
- New Jersey Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - November 28th, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE: Ralston residents allege intimidation, cover-ups as HUD inspection looms - WRBL - October 12th, 2019
- What Humans Have Been Doing in Bed for 77000 Years - Ancient Origins - September 25th, 2019
- Action Bed Bug Extermination New Jersey | New Jersey Bed ... - January 11th, 2019
- BedBug Chasers of New Jersey - Need to Get Rid of Bed Bugs ... - December 8th, 2018
- Bed Bug News Reports BedBugs in a New Jersey rooming ... - July 25th, 2018
- NJ Bed Bugs | How We Spread Bedbugs in New Jersey - July 25th, 2018
- Bowco - Pest Control & Exterminators For Bed Bugs ... - June 17th, 2018
- Pest Control New Jersey | Bed Bug, Exterminator & Termite ... - May 25th, 2018
- Contact Us - New Jersey Bed Bug Pest Control - Action Bed Bug ... - April 11th, 2018
- Pest Control New Jersey - Termites & Bed Bugs Extermination - April 10th, 2018
- Bed Bugs in New Jersey: Info on NJ Bed Bug Infestations - March 5th, 2018
- Can Bed Bugs Live on Memory Foam? | Ross Pest Control ... - March 1st, 2018
- Bed Bug Laundry NYC - Reclaim Your Home from Bed Bugs Now! - February 7th, 2018
- New Jersey Bed Bug Removal - pestcontrol-nj.com - January 22nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Exterminator NJ | Pest Control Service New Jersey - January 22nd, 2018
- Where Do Bed Bugs Live? - How To Kill Bed Bugs - December 16th, 2017
- Marvel Superheroes Who Basically Only Protect New York City, Ranked - Kotaku Australia - August 21st, 2017
- Marvel Superheroes Who Basically Only Protect New York City, Ranked - Gizmodo - August 19th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Be Gone: Rutgers Gets Nod for Fighting Pests - TAPinto - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2017
- Man who threw bedbugs at Maine municipal office is charged - New Jersey Herald - July 8th, 2017
- Bedbugs found in South Carolina fire station again - New Jersey ... - New Jersey Herald - July 8th, 2017
- Daddy, don't you evolve so fast - New Jersey Herald - June 16th, 2017
- Is Hong Kong on the verge of a major bed bug epidemic? We talk to ... - South China Morning Post - June 14th, 2017
- Superior Solutions Termite & Pest Control Offering Termite Extermination And Prevention For The Spring Season - MilTech - April 8th, 2017
- Anchor Pest Control, the Premier NJ Pest Control Company, Now Offers Preventative Yearly Service Plans - MENAFN.COM - February 24th, 2017
- Hawaii bill seeks more oversight of commercial fishing - New Jersey Herald - February 15th, 2017
- Anchor Pest Control, the Premier NJ Pest Control Company, Now Offers Preventative Yearly Service Plans - Benzinga - February 14th, 2017
- Trump National Doral Miami reportedly settles bed bug case - The Real Deal Magazine - February 6th, 2017
- Trump Doral settles lawsuit over biting bedbugs - Miami Herald (blog) - February 6th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Exterminator | Excel Termite & Pest Control - April 4th, 2016
- New Jersey - Bed bug detections service with NESDCA certified ... - April 4th, 2016
- New Jersey Bed Bug Pictures, Bites, Information | RM Termite ... - April 4th, 2016
- Tenants, Landlords, Bed Bugs, And New Jersey - March 27th, 2016
- Bedbugs in New Jersey - How To Kill Bed Bugs - March 26th, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminator in New Jersey - Alliance Pest Services - March 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment & Exterminator New Jersey | Eastern ... - March 21st, 2016
- Bed-Bug-Pest-Control - South Amboy, NJ 08879 - March 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Exterminators in Monmouth & Ocean County - a-academy.com - March 21st, 2016
- Landlords vs. Tenants: Who Pays When Bed Bugs Invade? - March 21st, 2016
- Environmental Health Hazards Project - New Jersey - March 21st, 2016
- NJ Bed Bugs | Bedbugs Dogs - March 21st, 2016
- bed bugs removal treatment in New Jersey - Pest ID - March 13th, 2016
- Dog Inspections and Bedbugs in New Jersey | Canine Bedbug ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs: Home, Lawn & Garden - Rutgers New Jersey ... - March 7th, 2016
- Northern New Jersey - Pest Control, Roaches, Bed Bugs ... - March 7th, 2016
- NJ bed bugs, bed-bugs, bedbug exterminator, bed bug ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Health Services || Ramapo College of New Jersey - March 7th, 2016
- Pest Control New Jersey 732-640-5488 | Inspecting Bed Bugs ... - March 7th, 2016
- South Jersey Bed Bug Information | Hoffmans Exterminating ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Bite Emergency Preparation NJ 732-640-5488 ~ Find ... - November 5th, 2015
- Diatomaceous earth doesn't kill bed bugs NJ 732-640-5488 ... - November 1st, 2015
- Bed Bug Extermination a Growing South Jersey Concern ... - September 6th, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminating NJ Mattress & Boxsprings- 732-640 ... - August 31st, 2015
- New Jersey - Action Pest Control - August 28th, 2015
- New Jersey's laws designed to spread bed bugs in rental ... - August 3rd, 2015
- Anchor Pest Control Recognized inPest-o-Gram, New Jerseys Top Pest Control Industry Newsletter - April 12th, 2015
- Somerville boarding home with bed bugs not allowed to take new tenants - March 11th, 2015
- BED BUG REMOVAL SERVICE NJ - YouTube - February 6th, 2015
- Bed Bugs Treatment New Jersey | Eastern Bed Bug Control - February 6th, 2015
- Easy Advice In bed bugs New Jersey The Facts | Home ... - November 30th, 2014
- Finding Sensible Products For bed bugs New Jersey | Home ... - November 24th, 2014
- Penetrations On Powerful Options For bed bugs New Jersey ... - November 19th, 2014
- Anchor Pest Control Leads the Industry with K9 Bed Bug Detection, Now Offers a Lifetime Bed Bug Free Warranty - November 19th, 2014
- Pest Control NJ | Bed Bug Removal New Jersey Call 973-388-9126 - October 13th, 2014
- Gov. Christie returns to Camden to tout gains - September 24th, 2014
- Summer is Here but Beware of Bed Bugs - June 15th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Bite of New Jersey - Bed Bug Products - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Removal NJ Bed Bug Exterminator, Bed Bug Control ... - May 8th, 2014
- BED BUG CONTROL NJ BED BUG REMOVAL SERVICE NJ - Video - March 23rd, 2014
- Termite Bed Bug Bee and Mice Control Plainfield Rahway Roselle Park NJ 732-640-5488 New Jersey - Video - March 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs In New Jersey - Expert Bed Bug Exterminators in NJ - March 18th, 2014
- An army of bedbugs was partying in her mattress. What else could go wrong? - March 13th, 2014
- Bed Bug Control Westfield Asbury Park & Atlantic Highlands NJ 732-640-5488 | Bed Bug New Jersey - Video - March 1st, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites Deal East Freehold & Eatontown NJ 732-640-5488 | Bed Bug Exterminator New Jersey - Video - March 1st, 2014
- Bed Bug Extermination Englishtown Fair Haven NJ 732-309-4209 | Bed Bug Control New Jersey - Video - March 1st, 2014
- NEW JERSEY BED BUG DOG DETECTION SERVICES & NJ BED BUG ... - March 1st, 2014
- Bed Bug Inspection Somerset Springdale & Warren NJ 732-640-5488 | Bed Bugs New Jersey - Video - February 24th, 2014
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.