Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
wbur Commentary Their myriad stories are deeply human and rarely simple, writes C. Nicholas Cuneo. Pictured: A Syrian refugee boy sits on the ground at a temporary refugee camp, in the eastern Lebanese town of Al-Faour, Bekaa valley near the Syria-Lebanon border. (Hussein Malla/AP)
President Trump's revised travel bansuspends the resettlement program for 120 days and cutsthe number of refugees the U.S. accepts each year from about 110,000 to 50,000. Through this blanket action, it is clear that Trump is clinging to a single flawed perception of the refugee experience --one that harkens back to our countrys dark history of refusing Jewish refugees during World War II for fear that they might harbor Nazi spies.
The celebrated Nigerian novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has warned of the single story,in whicha reductive narrativeiscast upon an entire group of people, even one as heterogeneous as refugees. The single story, Adichie said, robs people of dignity. It makes our recognition of our equal humanity difficult. It emphasizes how we are different rather than how we are similar.
Watching Abdel become an American did not compromise my American identity -- it deepened it immeasurably.
The most recent estimates from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) count more than 65 million displaced persons worldwide, including more than 21 million refugees. Over the last fiscal year, the United States resettled just 84,995 of them, each of whom submitted toa lengthy and intense screening process that included interviews with the United Nations and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). They have been requiredto tell their stories many times over in some cases reliving their trauma and theyhave been subjected to invasive medical workups both before and after they reach the United States. WhetherChristian, Muslimor other, they share a desire to rebuild their lives in a country where they will be safe.
President Trump has called Syrian refugees thegreatest Trojan Horse of all time.He appears woefully uninformedabouttherigorous screening process, the diversity of the refugee communities in the United States, and America'sduty to take in refugeesas enshrined in the Geneva Convention. His prior discriminatory executive order was successfully challenged in the courts as unconstitutional. While this revised version may appear more measured, it is, like its firstiteration, gratuitously punitive and devoid of justification.
In my experience working with many medically complex refugee and asylee familiesfrom all over the world from Bhutan to Sudan, Ethiopia to Iran I have learned what many others who have worked with this population know well: There is no single story among the small group of refugees who have been resettled in the United States. Their myriad stories are deeply human and rarely simple.
Consider the middle-aged manfrom Sudan who had been left blind after being sold a tainted drink hed taken in a desperate attempt to distract himself from the infestation of bedbugs inhis refugee camp. Upon arriving in the United States, he wanted nothing more than to learn English and get to work. I will never forget his disappointment after being told by the ophthalmologist that he would never regain his sight. When I last saw him, he was commuting independently to English classes at his local community college and learning braille.
Another refugee I worked with,ayoung mother, had contracted HIV after being raped in the East African refugee camp that was supposed to be a safe haven from violence. She had only learned of herHIVstatus while going through the initial refugee medical screening process; months prior, she had unknowingly transmitted the virus to her youngest daughter. When I last saw her, she wasgoing to extreme lengths to hide their diagnosis from her older children, still ashamed of an act over which shed had no control. But she was also newly hopeful, watching her children excel in their local public school.
We must not allow Trumps single story on refugees -- utterly devoid of truth or merit -- toshape our countrys perceptions of the refugee experience.
When I worked as a citizenship tutor in the spring of 2003, I metAbdel, who was working as a cab driver.Back home in Iraq, he'd been acardiologist. He'd abandoned everything his career, material possessions, home toflee the violence of war. I still recall theexcitement in his voice when he called me after acing the citizenship interview. Of all the exams hed ever passed, he said, this one had filled him with the greatest pride. Watching Abdel become an American did not compromise my American identity it deepened it immeasurably.
As physicians, we have some of the earliest and most intimate contact with resettled refugees and asylees, from conducting the initialDomestic Medical Examinationto documenting thephysical and psychologicalimpactof torturethey may have experiencedin their home countries. We have the privilege of hearing their stories unfold over time, andwe have the special vantage ofwatching themsettleinto theirnew lives when they return to us forprimary care visits.
We must not allow Trumps single story on refugees utterly devoid of truth or merit toshape our countrys perceptions of the refugee experience. We must speak out on behalf of those who are now too fearful to do so for themselves. Their lives and futures are now being placed in jeopardy by a government that should be committed to their protection.
Follow Cognoscenti on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for our twice-weekly newsletter.
C. Nicholas Cuneo, MD Cognoscenti contributor C. Nicholas Cuneo, MD is a resident physician in internal medicine and pediatrics at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston Children's Hospital and Boston Medical Center.
- The US structural pest control market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during the period 20212026 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Atlantic City renters want 'humane' living conditions, turn to officials for help - Press of Atlantic City - March 8th, 2020
- Maryland Residents Mini Guide To Avoiding Bed Bugs - January 7th, 2020
- Maryland Injury Law Advisor Who Is Responsible For Bed Bugs? - January 7th, 2020
- Your daily 6: Iranians vow revenge, bedbugs freed in Walmart and Golden Globe awards and red carpet - Journal Times - January 7th, 2020
- First Edition: January 7, 2020 - Kaiser Health News - January 7th, 2020
- Bed Bugs In Maryland Schools | What Parents Need To Know - September 21st, 2018
- Maryland, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 14th, 2018
- Top Rated Bed Bug Treatments For Homes In MD, VA & D.C. - March 2nd, 2018
- Affordable housing shortage leaves hundreds calling hotels along Jeff Davis home - Richmond.com - August 21st, 2017
- Baltimore Co. family gets $70K for bed bug infestation at Kushner-owned property - Maryland Daily Record (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - WJLA - August 7th, 2017
- Horseshoe casino cincinnati has bed bugs - San juan hotel and casino spa - Sports Rediscovered - July 25th, 2017
- Maryland attorney believes Hampton Inn hotel in Philly tried to conceal bed bug issue - The Pennsylvania Record - July 15th, 2017
- Bed bug awareness poor among US travelers, but reactions are strong - Travel Daily News International - June 15th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - WWMT-TV - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - WRGT TV Fox 45 - June 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug Treatment Options | Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In DC, MD - June 5th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control in Baltimore, MD | Maryland Pest Exterminator - June 5th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - WLOS - June 5th, 2017
- City investigating Near East Side apartment complex where fatal shootings have occurred - The Columbus Dispatch - March 11th, 2017
- Students return to DC elementary school after bed bugs, rat infestation cleaned up - WJLA - March 1st, 2017
- DC elementary school shut down for bed bug, pest clean up - WJLA - February 8th, 2017
- Bed bug fact sheet - King County - January 5th, 2017
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs | Symptoms | Signs | Treatment | Pictures - June 2nd, 2016
- The Bed Bug Registry Reports on Maryland Hotels - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Extermination Maryland | MD Bed Bug Pest Control - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Laws and Regulations | Bed Bugs: Get Them Out and ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Baltimore City Health Department - October 22nd, 2015
- bed bugs - Bedbugger.com - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bug Removal DC VA MD | Affordable Pest - August 16th, 2015
- Bed bug scare closes Towson,Maryland district courthouse ... - February 15th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment VA, Heat Treatment for Bed Bugs ... - February 9th, 2015
- Difference between Flea Bites and Bed Bug Bites | MD ... - February 9th, 2015
- University of Maryland Professor on Preventing Bed Bugs ... - February 4th, 2015
- No bed bug infestation at Towson district courthouse, officials say after inspection - December 9th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Extermination Purcellville, VA 20132, Call 540 ... - December 1st, 2014
- Read 1 Bed Bug Report for Ramada BWI Airport-Arundel Mills ... - November 23rd, 2014
- Maryland Bed Bugs | MD Bedbug Extermination - September 23rd, 2014
- Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 6th, 2014
- Heat Treatment For Bed Bugs Maryland, VA, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- How To Treat Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- Bed Bugs ? - Ocean City Forum - TripAdvisor - June 11th, 2014
- Bed Bugs | University of Maryland Extension - June 6th, 2014
- Tips to stay safe during bedbug season - May 14th, 2014
- Bed Bug Removal Services | Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In DC, MD - April 19th, 2014
- Get Rid Of Bed Bugs DC, Maryland And Virginia | Bed Bug ... - April 15th, 2014
- Bedbugs: Infestations, Bedbug Bites, and Getting Rid of ... - February 14th, 2014
- bed bugs - Baltimore Forum - TripAdvisor - Reviews of Hotels ... - December 15th, 2013
- Bed Bug Identification And Control DC, Maryland and Northern ... - December 12th, 2013
- Virginia Bed Bug Removal Company Maryland Bed Bug ... - December 12th, 2013
- Baltimore City Health Department Bed Bugs Resource Page - December 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better health. - November 27th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Ocean City Hotels - Ocean City ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Ocean City Hotels - Ocean City, Maryland ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Get Rid Of Bed Bugs DC, Maryland And Virginia | Bed Bug Control VA, MD - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Infest University of Maryland Dormitory; MyCleaningProducts Advises Public to Prepare a Bed Bug Spray to ... - October 15th, 2012
- Gazette.Net: UM housing staff sniffing out bed bug problems - October 10th, 2012
- Bed Bug Infestation Forces Univ. Of Md. College Park Students Out Of Their Apartments - October 6th, 2012
- Bed bug complaints at some UMd. buildings - October 5th, 2012
- Bedbugs Invade Univ. of Maryland Dorms - October 5th, 2012
- Bed bug complants at some UMd. buildings - October 4th, 2012
- Mary Cheh aims to protect people from pesticides - June 26th, 2012
- Mother Wins Bed Bug Case, Gets $225,000 for Damages; BedBugControl911.com Offers Other Bed Bug Sufferers Inexpensive ... - March 21st, 2012
- Bed Bugs Making Resurgence In Baltimore - Video - December 9th, 2011
- Introductory Training Bed Bug Detection Puppy - Video - November 30th, 2011
- BedBug Detection Dog - Video - November 30th, 2011
- CSIDogs.com Bed Bug Dog Maryland - Video - October 13th, 2011
- Where Bed Bugs Bite - October 5th, 2011
- Bedbug Lawsuit Filed Against Apartment Complex - October 5th, 2011
- TodayShowMatt.mp4 - October 5th, 2011
- Why Bed Bugs Are Attracted to the NightWatch Bed Bug Monitor - October 4th, 2011
- Roxy Sniffing Out Bedbugs - October 4th, 2011
- Dog finds no bed bugs in Elizabethtown College dorm - October 4th, 2011
- Bed bugs Part 2: Identifying and inspecting for bed bugs - October 1st, 2011
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - September 25th, 2011
- American Pest Bed Bug Colony - September 25th, 2011
- Bed Bug Dog Maryland - September 24th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.