Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Alfreda Miller and her four children live in one of the worst apartment units in Amhurst Gardens. The toilets and bathtubs in her two bathrooms overflow with sewage and feces every few months, she said.
She has thrown away countless towels and blankets trying to soak up the water. Her children help scrub the tubs after each incident.
Miller, 38, had previously shared her story with The Stanly News & Press, but on Monday night she detailed it before Albemarle City Council, during a lengthy town hall meeting at the E.E. Waddell Center where council members listened to concerns raised by public housing residents.
Who wants to throw dirty towels with poop on them in their washing machine? she said, holding back tears. This is my day, this is my life, that I have to deal with.
Her unit on Inger Street is one of several in the public housing community impacted by collapsed pipes, which have caused problems for residents.
Miller said she also has mold in her home, which makes her fear for any potential long-term health effects. She is especially worried for her 9-year-old daughter, who has asthma. She said she believes her daughters condition has worsened since the family has lived there.
The conditions have gotten so bad Miller is afraid to invite people into her apartment.
She signed paperwork in late May to move into a vacant property while her unit is renovated but, several months later, she and her children remain in the same unit, despite having all of their belongings packed.
My kids shouldnt have to live like this, she said. We shouldnt have to live like this and be treated like this, like its our fault.
The council decided to schedule a meeting with residents after initially hearing from them during a council meeting in August. At that meeting, several council members mentioned it was the first time they had heard of such problems. Public housing director Dr. Kim Scott spoke in more detail about some of the problems during the Sept. 6 council meeting.
Victoria Ingram, who has lived on South Bell Avenue for more than 30 years, was one of the residents who spoke during the August meeting and again Monday. Shes had numerous problems over the years with household items, including her refrigerator, air conditioner and the toilet in her bathroom.
Shes had to discard new furniture due to infestation of bed bugs and often has to throw out food because her refrigerator is not working. Her air conditioner recently stopped working and it felt like hell in that apartment, she said.
This doesnt come easy to me because Im on a fixed income, Ingram said. Im to the point where Im fed up.
At least half a dozen residents spoke, including some, likeAngelina Kelder, who felt the city could have done more over the years to address the issues.
The thing that still continues to bug me is that you all continually pass the buck on to somebody else instead of taking accountability, she said.
In response, Mayor Ronnie Michael said the council is very disappointed in the conditions many residents are living in, adding that weve got to figure out answers and thats what were hoping Dr. Scott can help us to figure out.
Since public housing is under the jurisdiction of the city, Scott told council he has struggled to help his residents as a result of the red tape he has to go through on the municipal level. He alleged that the procurement process changes often and when he has gone to the finance department with funding requests, he is told he does not have the money in his budget to spend.
I have run schools that have $6.9 million budgets and I was able to get what I needed through the procurement process and this is the most difficult procurement process that I have ever had to deal with in 25 years, he said.
Michael stressed Scott needs to work within his budget and follow the proper procedures, including having written specifications for what is needed.
The citys 63-page Purchasing and Contracting Policies and Procedures Manualwas last updated in January 2021 and all departments are educated on it, according to a statement sent to the SNAP from the city.
As with any level of government, the City of Albemarles procurement policy is in place to make sure taxpayer money is spent responsibly, the statement said. All departments of the City of Albemarle are required to follow the Citys procurement policy. This procurement policy is based on local, state, and federal laws and procedures.
While he said he understands rules and regulations need to be followed to procure necessary items for residents, City of Albemarle Section 8 inspector Eric Allsbrook said some rules are made to be broken.
When it comes to appliances like refrigerators and stoves not working, thats a 24-hour emergency, Allsbrook said.
Councilman Benton Dry emphasized the importance of everyone coming together to try and solve the problems.
Were here tonight to listen and do what we can to move this thing forward, he said. We appreciate what each of you have said and I hate like hell that youre in this situation.
At the end of the meeting, Michael told the SNAP: The city is dedicated to finding how to address these issues and move forward and correct the problems.
Scotts plan to improve the public housing community
In a presentation before the residents spoke, Scott mentioned there are 10 units with existing sewage line issues.
The facilities are about 50 years old, as the housing community has been around since 1971.
He first discovered the problems in January, when he took over as director and stepped in what he thought was a pool of water but instead was sewage leaking from one of the units.
Scott and his staff are working with Stogner Architecture in Rockingham to determine the severity of the problem and hire contractors to renovate the properties. Since 1991, Stogner has worked on 18 public housing projects within the city, according to its website.
In addition to the collapsed pipes, Scott has found 30 inoperable refrigerators and stoves and four HVAC systems that are not working. Many of the HVAC units have not been serviced in six years, he said.
Scott would like to modernize and refurbish at least 20 apartment units each fiscal year. This would include mold testing and abatement, sheet rock repair and replacement, floor, ceiling and cabinet replacement, as well as painting, appliance replacement and incidental repairs.
Stogner will work with the public housing department to help identify the existing condition of cast iron sewer systems in the units and replace the existing systems with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) piping.
The sewer repair project is forecasted to begin next February, Scott said.
Capital funding for the public housing department for fiscal year 2022 is $724,485, with funding for 2023-2026 expected to be $578,517 each year.
A key problem has been that several vacant units on Inger Street, which will temporarily house several of the residents dealing with sewer problems like Miller and her children, are still not yet ready. Scott has looked at alternative options, such as hotels in the area, but they have all been booked.
My concern is I dont have units to put my residents in because theyre not finished, Scott told council.
He anticipates the vacant units should be completed within the next two to three weeks.
In addition to the sewer problems, as part of his five-year plan, Scott recently changed portions of the Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy, including rent collection and security deposits.
Scott and his staff have been updating residents rental amounts, which had been inconsistent in the past, and have reduced the waiting list, which had been inflated due to individuals who have been dead for years still being included.
He is also working to establish wrap-around services for many families, including healthcare, mental health services, youth development, childcare and literacy programs.
As part of the Change Your Mind; Change your Life campaign, public housing will offer several educational opportunities for residents to learn about topics such as credit repair, home ownership and workforce development.
I love these residents and I want them to have a piece of the American Pie, he said.
- Bed Bugs: Facts, Information and Pictures | Terminix - August 22nd, 2022
- The US structural pest control market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during the period 20212026 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Atlantic City renters want 'humane' living conditions, turn to officials for help - Press of Atlantic City - March 8th, 2020
- Maryland Residents Mini Guide To Avoiding Bed Bugs - January 7th, 2020
- Maryland Injury Law Advisor Who Is Responsible For Bed Bugs? - January 7th, 2020
- Your daily 6: Iranians vow revenge, bedbugs freed in Walmart and Golden Globe awards and red carpet - Journal Times - January 7th, 2020
- First Edition: January 7, 2020 - Kaiser Health News - January 7th, 2020
- Bed Bugs In Maryland Schools | What Parents Need To Know - September 21st, 2018
- Maryland, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 14th, 2018
- Top Rated Bed Bug Treatments For Homes In MD, VA & D.C. - March 2nd, 2018
- Affordable housing shortage leaves hundreds calling hotels along Jeff Davis home - Richmond.com - August 21st, 2017
- Baltimore Co. family gets $70K for bed bug infestation at Kushner-owned property - Maryland Daily Record (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - WJLA - August 7th, 2017
- Horseshoe casino cincinnati has bed bugs - San juan hotel and casino spa - Sports Rediscovered - July 25th, 2017
- Maryland attorney believes Hampton Inn hotel in Philly tried to conceal bed bug issue - The Pennsylvania Record - July 15th, 2017
- Bed bug awareness poor among US travelers, but reactions are strong - Travel Daily News International - June 15th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - WWMT-TV - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - WRGT TV Fox 45 - June 6th, 2017
- Bed Bug Treatment Options | Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In DC, MD - June 5th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control in Baltimore, MD | Maryland Pest Exterminator - June 5th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - WLOS - June 5th, 2017
- City investigating Near East Side apartment complex where fatal shootings have occurred - The Columbus Dispatch - March 11th, 2017
- Resisting President Trump's 'Single Story' Of Refugees - WBUR - March 10th, 2017
- Students return to DC elementary school after bed bugs, rat infestation cleaned up - WJLA - March 1st, 2017
- DC elementary school shut down for bed bug, pest clean up - WJLA - February 8th, 2017
- Bed bug fact sheet - King County - January 5th, 2017
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs | Symptoms | Signs | Treatment | Pictures - June 2nd, 2016
- The Bed Bug Registry Reports on Maryland Hotels - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Extermination Maryland | MD Bed Bug Pest Control - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Laws and Regulations | Bed Bugs: Get Them Out and ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Baltimore City Health Department - October 22nd, 2015
- bed bugs - Bedbugger.com - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bug Removal DC VA MD | Affordable Pest - August 16th, 2015
- Bed bug scare closes Towson,Maryland district courthouse ... - February 15th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment VA, Heat Treatment for Bed Bugs ... - February 9th, 2015
- Difference between Flea Bites and Bed Bug Bites | MD ... - February 9th, 2015
- University of Maryland Professor on Preventing Bed Bugs ... - February 4th, 2015
- No bed bug infestation at Towson district courthouse, officials say after inspection - December 9th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Extermination Purcellville, VA 20132, Call 540 ... - December 1st, 2014
- Read 1 Bed Bug Report for Ramada BWI Airport-Arundel Mills ... - November 23rd, 2014
- Maryland Bed Bugs | MD Bedbug Extermination - September 23rd, 2014
- Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 6th, 2014
- Heat Treatment For Bed Bugs Maryland, VA, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- How To Treat Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Maryland, VA 20132, Call 540-441-7246 today! Environmental Heat Solutions - Video - July 4th, 2014
- Bed Bugs ? - Ocean City Forum - TripAdvisor - June 11th, 2014
- Bed Bugs | University of Maryland Extension - June 6th, 2014
- Tips to stay safe during bedbug season - May 14th, 2014
- Bed Bug Removal Services | Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In DC, MD - April 19th, 2014
- Get Rid Of Bed Bugs DC, Maryland And Virginia | Bed Bug ... - April 15th, 2014
- Bedbugs: Infestations, Bedbug Bites, and Getting Rid of ... - February 14th, 2014
- bed bugs - Baltimore Forum - TripAdvisor - Reviews of Hotels ... - December 15th, 2013
- Bed Bug Identification And Control DC, Maryland and Northern ... - December 12th, 2013
- Virginia Bed Bug Removal Company Maryland Bed Bug ... - December 12th, 2013
- Baltimore City Health Department Bed Bugs Resource Page - December 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better health. - November 27th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Ocean City Hotels - Ocean City ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Ocean City Hotels - Ocean City, Maryland ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Get Rid Of Bed Bugs DC, Maryland And Virginia | Bed Bug Control VA, MD - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Infest University of Maryland Dormitory; MyCleaningProducts Advises Public to Prepare a Bed Bug Spray to ... - October 15th, 2012
- Gazette.Net: UM housing staff sniffing out bed bug problems - October 10th, 2012
- Bed Bug Infestation Forces Univ. Of Md. College Park Students Out Of Their Apartments - October 6th, 2012
- Bed bug complaints at some UMd. buildings - October 5th, 2012
- Bedbugs Invade Univ. of Maryland Dorms - October 5th, 2012
- Bed bug complants at some UMd. buildings - October 4th, 2012
- Mary Cheh aims to protect people from pesticides - June 26th, 2012
- Mother Wins Bed Bug Case, Gets $225,000 for Damages; BedBugControl911.com Offers Other Bed Bug Sufferers Inexpensive ... - March 21st, 2012
- Bed Bugs Making Resurgence In Baltimore - Video - December 9th, 2011
- Introductory Training Bed Bug Detection Puppy - Video - November 30th, 2011
- BedBug Detection Dog - Video - November 30th, 2011
- CSIDogs.com Bed Bug Dog Maryland - Video - October 13th, 2011
- Where Bed Bugs Bite - October 5th, 2011
- Bedbug Lawsuit Filed Against Apartment Complex - October 5th, 2011
- TodayShowMatt.mp4 - October 5th, 2011
- Why Bed Bugs Are Attracted to the NightWatch Bed Bug Monitor - October 4th, 2011
- Roxy Sniffing Out Bedbugs - October 4th, 2011
- Dog finds no bed bugs in Elizabethtown College dorm - October 4th, 2011
- Bed bugs Part 2: Identifying and inspecting for bed bugs - October 1st, 2011
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - September 25th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.