Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
It may officially be spring, but it still feels very much like winter in parts of Maine. Given that summer still feels far off, we thought now would be a good time to introduce you to some of our state bugs. You have a few weeks to prepare for their summer arrival, which is why reading about them now should be significantly less horrifying. Unless you stare at the pictures too long imagining them crawling on you right this very second. Thats what I did when I wrote this and I dont recommend it.
Close up, this guy looks terrible. But, the good news is that they're actually quite small. They have the ability to jump more than four times their own body length. It is this fast pounce that allows them to attack insect prey after stalking it. The bite from one is not lethal, but may cause a small stinging sensation. The goods news is that, because they are so fast, it is rare for humans to be bitten. Fun fact: These guys don't spin a web and they're on the go most of the day.
Humans are safe from losing all their body fluids, but bites will still be very painful.
Some advice: When you check into a hotel, pull back the sheets and check in the crevices of the mattress for small specks. They are bed bugs and you'll need to get back on the plane and leave the area immediately. Maybe even leave the country.
This beast is possibly the most hideous of everything on this list. In fact, while writing this section, I covered the photo of the bug. As horrifying as they are, the House Centipede is actually a helpful guy to have around because he keeps bigger pests such as cockroaches and moths low in number. House Centipedes move very fast and run with their bodies held high above the ground. They can be found in wet or damp areas, and occasionally can be seen outside.
Feat not, Mainers, this spider is not as scary as it looks. The females have ridges with spines and it's believed that they are used to ward off predators. It's also possible that they exist to help her conceal herself in her web. Males do not have spines and are mostly black with white edges. Females are twice as large as males. Their webs are close to the ground and are typically re-spun every single day. Imagine if you had to rebuild your house every day! No thanks.
These curious beetles find a dead bird or small mammal and remove its feathers and hair. Then, they get to work laying eggs on the carcass. It is then covered up with soil or plants. Later, when the eggs hatch, the larvae feed on the remains of the animal.
They're tiny, they're gross and recently they're deadly. A tick bite is more dangerous than you think. Unchecked, Lyme Disease can lead to a lifelong autoimmune disorder, or, in the case of one mid-coast Maine woman, even death. Always give yourself a thorough once over after spending time in the outdoors and, if you can, be sure to secure the loose ends of pant legs to avoid ticks traveling inside.
There are many different species of this wasp and all have different coloring. That long syringe-type thing on the back is actually NOT a stinger. It is used for inserting her eggs into wood (live trees, or logs) where the larvae will feed on any other insect larvae already there. These bugs will sting when threatened, so it's best to keep your distance.
This one isn't actually an insect, it's a crustacean. And, it's not actually so scary. Pillbugs are a food source for insects and members of the spider family. Their diet of rotting organic material like leaves and wood means they help cycle nutrients through the food web. When feeling threatened, they roll up into a tight ball until the perceived threat has passed. For some reason, I called them "tickle bugs" when I was little. Depending on where you are from, you may have called them "roly-polies."
While most bugs hide from bodies of water, these guys spend the majority of their time near it. This species does not swim, but it hunts along wet sandy areas looking for insects to eat. They hunt at night, combing the beach for small insects, their eggs and any dead arthropods that drifted ashore. It is most often seen in areas around high tide.
Have you seen any of these? Whats the worst bug you can imagine here in Maine? Let us know over on Facebook!
The rest is here:
10 Scary Bugs Found in Maine - OnlyInYourState
- BIW battling bed bugs - Portland Press Herald - July 4th, 2020
- Landlord Obligations - Information - July 4th, 2020
- What Landlords Need to Tell Tenants about Bed Bugs in the ... - March 7th, 2019
- Are Bed Bugs In Maine? - bigbluebug.com - February 9th, 2019
- Why Do Bed Bugs Bite My Spouse and Not Me? - July 30th, 2018
- Bed Bugs In South Portland Maine? - Big Blue Bug - March 8th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs on Couches and Furniture - February 8th, 2018
- FAQ: Can Baking Soda Kill Bed Bugs? - February 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bugs South Portland ME | Maine Bed Bugs and Pest ... - November 25th, 2017
- FAQ: How Do I Know When Bed Bugs are Gone? - October 17th, 2017
- Where Bed Bugs Hide In Your Home | Bed Bugs In Maine - September 20th, 2017
- Man accused of tossing bedbugs at Augusta city workers wants jury trial - Press Herald - August 9th, 2017
- Man accused of dumping bed bugs at city office says he's already been found guilty by public - WCSH-TV - August 7th, 2017
- 2 Best Exterminators - Rockland ME | Bed Bug, Insect Control - August 6th, 2017
- Children found overheated, infested with bugs in back of U-haul - WPXI Pittsburgh - August 4th, 2017
- Our View: Maine paying high cost for poor housing - Press Herald - July 24th, 2017
- Evicted without cause and forced to live in shabby room, Portland woman dies alone - Press Herald - July 18th, 2017
- Businessman offers $20K as matching donation to eradicate ... - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - July 15th, 2017
- Frustration with substandard housing led man to unleash bedbugs at Augusta City Center - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - July 13th, 2017
- Man Allegedly Throws Bedbugs at Case Worker | NECN - NECN - July 10th, 2017
- Man charged with throwing bedbugs at Maine municipal office - The Boston Globe - July 8th, 2017
- Man who dumped bed bugs in Augusta City Center is charged with assault - Press Herald - July 8th, 2017
- Man Who Threw Bedbugs at Maine Municipal Office is Charged - WABI - July 7th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories from Thursday, July 6th - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com - KHQ Right Now - July 7th, 2017
- FAQ: Can Baking Soda Kill Bed Bugs? - Bed Bug Products ... - June 23rd, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases 100 live bedbugs in Maine city office - NBC4i.com - June 12th, 2017
- Angry man dumps nearly 100 bed bugs at Maine City Office forcing building to close - WILX-TV - June 9th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases around 100 bedbugs in Maine city office - York Daily Record/Sunday News - June 9th, 2017
- A Maine Resident's Vengeful City Hall Bedbug Attack - Route Fifty - June 9th, 2017
- Frustrated Maine man tosses bed bugs on city employee - USA TODAY - June 8th, 2017
- Augusta City Hall reopens after bedbug dumping incident - WGME - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in government office - Fox 2 Detroit - June 6th, 2017
- Angry man retaliates against city hall with cup of 100 bedbugs - Myjoyonline.com - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man dumps bed bugs in government office in Maine - Fox News - June 6th, 2017
- Maine Man Who Was Denied Assistance at City Office Releases About 100 Bedbugs on Counter - KTLA - June 5th, 2017
- Disgruntled Maine man unleashes 100 bedbugs in Augusta city hall - New York Daily News - June 5th, 2017
- Landlord Responsibility for Bed Bugs | Nolo.com - April 8th, 2017
- Augusta's Lithgow Public Library damaged by snow - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - February 24th, 2017
- Lithgow Public Library closed Wednesday because of bedbug problem - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - February 19th, 2017
- Bed-making takes on new significance - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - February 12th, 2017
- Bed Bugs In Maine? - bigbluebug.com - May 1st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - University of Maine Cooperative Extension - April 17th, 2016
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Prevention | Atlantic Pest - August 23rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Public Policy: Bed Bug Laws, Legislation ... - August 22nd, 2015
- Maine Draws up New Bed Bug Law, Title 14 M.R.S.A. 6021-A ... - August 18th, 2015
- Maine Revised Statutes - Maine State Legislature - February 16th, 2015
- The University of Maine - UMaine Cooperative Extension ... - December 18th, 2014
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs | Herbal Remedies Info - November 22nd, 2014
- Ted Siefer's City Hall It was a week of spice, bed bugs, abandoned buildings, gambling - September 23rd, 2014
- Dinner with an entomologist - May 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Registry Database Maine, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - May 8th, 2014
- Maine Bed Bugs and Pest Control | 207-650-8654 :Maine Bed ... - March 27th, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Maine Scourging an Apartment Complex - March 18th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Plague an Apartment Complex in Maine, My Cleaning Products Says Bed Bug Bully Could Help Anyone Kill Bed Bugs ... - March 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Showed Up in Biddeford Middle School, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Kill ... - February 18th, 2014
- Reports of Bed Bugs in New Orleans Hotels - New Orleans ... - January 16th, 2014
- The University of Maine - UMaine Extension: Insect Pests ... - December 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Infectious Disease Epidemiology Program - MeCDC ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs | The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource Site -- treatments ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Infectious Disease Epidemiology Program - MeCDC; DHHS Maine - November 3rd, 2013
- Why dead cows and bed bugs matter in the election - October 6th, 2012
- How to avoid bed bugs - June 19th, 2012
- How to Look for Bedbugs in Hotel or Motel Rooms - Video - February 11th, 2012
- Seduce me- Bed bugs - Video - December 9th, 2011
- Bed Bug Spray - Video - October 15th, 2011
- How to Look for and Avoid Bedbugs in Hotel or Motel Rooms - September 18th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Keep Exterminators Busy - September 13th, 2011
- August 6th 2008 Bedbugs - September 11th, 2011
- The Issue Edition 5 - September 8th, 2011
- "infested" (the lewiston maine bed bug song) bummah gurney f/ dumingo - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.