Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Donald Lewis, Iowa State entomology professor, and his beloved black labradoodle.
Ohio-grown farm boy Donald Lewis found his passion in a college biology class 40 years ago and is still sticking to it.
Lewis, who is currently an entomology professor at Iowa State, grew up on an Ohio dairy farm and said he assumed after college hed go back and be a dairy farmer for the rest of his life. But sophomore year of college, his plans changed.
Lewis recalled disliking biology throughout the entirety of high school, but it was a college professor that made it interesting to him. The class's insect examples fascinated Lewis enough to continue to take more of his entomology and insect studies courses.
I was hooked, Lewis said. As a farm kid, flies were a nuisance, insects in the field were a nuisance and I paid very little attention to them. It wasnt until college that this lightbulb went on over my head.
After obtaining his graduate degree from Ohio State University, Lewis began as a young professor in 1977 at Iowa State.
When he started, his appointment was with extension. Extension is one of the three missions of a land grant university like Iowa State. Land grant universities teach students, do research to create new knowledge and distribute that knowledge to growers and citizens so they can make better decisions, Lewis said.
For the first twenty years, all of my teaching was off campus. It was workshops and seminars, programs with growers and producers or nursery producers, greenhouse growers and pest control operators, Lewis said.
But in 2000, Lewis started teaching in the classroom on campus. He began with a course for turf grass students and a study abroad course. In the fall of 2009, he began teaching Iowa States famous entomology 201 and 211 online courses.
"I was offered the opportunity to redefine myself, less off-campus teaching, more on-campus teaching," Lewis said.
Lewis called his new appointment to classroom and online teaching, a shot in the arm, but an opportunity he was eager to take.
I did and I do love what I did with extension meeting growers, meeting with the public, answering questions about insects, finding out what they need to know and helping them find information about their insect problems," Lewis said. "And I still do that, but thats about half of my time now, whereas teaching is the other half.
Lewis called online teaching a new and invigorating experience, but said it was exciting for him to try something new and find out that he likes that too. His previous work with extension was, a lot of meeting people one time, Lewis said.
You would go talk to insect growers, and youd help them solve their insect questions in the green house, and then you might not see those people for another two years. And then youd go talk to exterminators  and you might not see those people for a year, so there was this variety in extension it was always a different subject and it was always with different people, as opposed to seeing the same classroom of students 30 times a semester, Lewis said.
The variety extension offered worked very well for Lewis, and he said he would still be doing it if the opportunity of full-time teaching and taking over the online course hadnt been handed to him.
Donald Lewis, entomology professor for more than 40 years at Iowa State.
Lewis acknowledged that a course about bugs isn't the most intriguing opportunity for the average college student, but can end up being a very interesting and useful one.
Part of it is just overcoming the fear, the aversion that insects are only creepy, theyre only disgusting, and part of the way we do that is to stop talking about cockroaches and bedbugs and start talking about lighting bugs or praying mantises and suddenly they go, Oh, yeah, those are kind of neat, Lewis said.
There are certainly parts of entomology that are prettier, or even cleaner, than others. Lewis gets his students' attention by fascinating them with the beautiful parts, rather than the less glamorous insects like centipedesand cockroaches.
And then you start talking about butterflies, and you tell them the story of the monarch migration or you talk about the importance of honeybees and they go, Oh, bees sting you, but then you say But look at the benefits of bees, the pollination service, the honey, and so bit by bit you can introduce some interesting, non-threatening parts of entomology, Lewis said.
Eventually, you might even see the fascination in insects like dung beetles, just as Lewis does.
Lewis said that if you ask most students why theyre taking his course, theyll say its because they needed an hour or three of a natural science credit to graduate.
Thats fine, Lewis said. Come on in, were glad to have you.
Lewis said his courses arent going to be threatening, and they wont be terribly difficult, but they are something youll have to try at. Youll get an exposure to something you may have never known or thought about, which is why Lewis says he teaches these non-major courses.
You get this brief exposure of something outside your normal studies, and thats a good thingto expand your horizons, to see a little bit of a bigger piece of the world, Lewis said.
Lewis said a frequent comment he gets on evaluations and one of his favorites is a student mentioning something new that they learned in his class and saying, I didnt know that was a thing.
Thats why we do it, Lewis said. Thats why we teach service courses courses for non-majors so you go out of here a little better prepared to meet the real world, in the process were eventually going to tell you about bedbugs and cockroaches because you might see those some day, but youll have a little better appreciation  but thats the goal here, to create this exposure.
See original here:
Donald Lewis finds beauty in the small things - Iowa State Daily
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 19th, 2019
- Pest Control | Omaha & Council Bluffs - February 25th, 2019
- Bed Bugs AnswerLine Iowa State University Extension ... - November 1st, 2018
- Bed Bugs - Termites | Priority Pest Control - Omaha, NE - April 14th, 2018
- Driving someone with bedbugs Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums - March 22nd, 2018
- BedBug Chasers Rated #1 Iowa Bed Bug Heat Treatment - March 17th, 2018
- Iowa, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 17th, 2018
- Bed bugs have favorite colors | Science News for Students - February 21st, 2018
- Iowa Legal Aid - November 20th, 2017
- Four You - Eclipse of My Heart - WAAF.com (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Springer Canine Teams Receive NESDECA Bed Bug Certification - PCT Magazine - August 19th, 2017
- 5 children found overheated, infested with bugs in back of U-haul - WPXI Pittsburgh - August 9th, 2017
- Experts on bed bugs and bed bug extermination - Bed Bug Guide - August 8th, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs - Moline Dispatch - Quad-Cities Online - July 27th, 2017
- Bed Bugs vs Fleas - Difference and Comparison | Diffen - July 6th, 2017
- Bed bugs trouble for hospitals across Iowa and US - KCRG - April 8th, 2017
- Iowa Bed Bug Control - March 8th, 2017
- Questions and Answers for Tenants About Bedbugs | Iowa ... - March 4th, 2017
- Pest Control Omaha | Bed Bugs | Termites | Priority Pest ... - February 24th, 2017
- Community agencies struggle to meet emergency housing needs - McDonough Voice - February 6th, 2017
- Baltimore, D.C. Rank #1 and #2 On Orkins Bed Bugs List ... - February 4th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Treatment and Extermination Testimonials - Page 1 - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Linn County, IA - Official Website - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Control & Prevention | Plunketts Pest Control - March 9th, 2016
- Bed Bug Treatment Des Moines and Ames - Iowa Bed Bugs - March 7th, 2016
- Bat Bug | Iowa Insect Information Notes - August 30th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - blogspot.com - February 9th, 2015
- Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs :: Springer Bed Bug Removal - January 29th, 2015
- Bed Bug Services - Des Moines's Bed Bug Experts | Janssen ... - December 24th, 2014
- Investigating Easy Options Of bedbugs removal ia | Home - November 30th, 2014
- Groups - Black Hair World - November 23rd, 2014
- MastiClub.net | Rapid Systems For bed bugs termal ... - November 19th, 2014
- Battling Bedbugs On A Budget - November 7th, 2014
- Killing Bed Bugs is No Easy Task - November 3rd, 2014
- County looks at bed bug problem - October 8th, 2014
- Bed bugs on the rise in eastern Iowa - September 23rd, 2014
- Identify Bed Bugs, Identify bed bug, Iowa Bed Bug, Iowa ... - July 10th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Iowa State University | Bed Bug Relief - July 10th, 2014
- Newton apartment building found to be an unfit dwelling - July 2nd, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Holiday Inn, Davenport, IA - May 8th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. Real - March 31st, 2014
- Charities don't need actual junk - March 29th, 2014
- SW Ohio ranks again for bedbug treatments - January 20th, 2014
- Chicago Tops Bed Bug Cities List for Second Year in a Row ... - January 16th, 2014
- Bed Bug Picture / Bedbug Picture 3 (Hardin MD / CDC) - December 9th, 2013
- Bedbug Treatments - Downs Pest Control | Des Moines Safe Pest ... - December 3rd, 2013
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines, Iowa ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal for Iowa :: Springer Home Services - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Detection and Extermination :: Springer Home Services - November 9th, 2013
- Green Iowa Bed Bug Treatment - Miller Pest & Termite - Bedbugs - November 9th, 2013
- Preferred Pest Control | Professional Pest Control in Central Iowa - November 3rd, 2013
- Mount Mercy Treats Apartments After Bed Bugs Found in One Unit - October 11th, 2012
- Bedbug expert scratches head over extent of UNL infestation - February 18th, 2012
- Bedbug Bill Tries to Hold Tenants Accountable For Infestation - February 13th, 2012
- SHELTER BUGS: A homeless shelter in Des Moines is infested with bed bugs - February 13th, 2012
- Bedbug bill causes rash of debate in House subcommittee - February 1st, 2012
- Bedbug Heat Treatment - Video - January 20th, 2012
- Lexington Park on Iowa has bed bugs - Video - December 12th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Becoming an Epidemic - Video - December 10th, 2011
- ISU Extension: Bed bugs - Video - October 14th, 2011
- Company Plans Bigger Battle Against Bedbugs - September 24th, 2011
- Lifestyles of the Creepy and Crawly - September 22nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Talk With Jeff Springer - September 19th, 2011
- Official: Saboteur Unleashed Bedbugs In City Building - September 14th, 2011
- Pauls Pest Control Adel IA - September 13th, 2011
- New Task Force To Fight Bedbugs - September 11th, 2011
- Polk County creates bed bug task force - September 11th, 2011
- Residents Sue Apartments Over Bedbugs - September 8th, 2011
- Organic Biological Pest Control Product Non Toxic Green Best - September 8th, 2011
- Spring Brings Insect Invasion - September 8th, 2011
- Industry Adaptation and Advances in Bed Bug Control - September 8th, 2011
- Newswatch 18: The Year in Review Part 2 - September 6th, 2011
- Newswatch - Oct. 3, 2010 - September 5th, 2011
- Iowa Hotel Launches Bed Bug Battle - August 20th, 2011
- Bedbugs at Iowa State University - August 17th, 2011
- Bedbugs Get Iowa Motel Shut Down - August 17th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.