Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
10:10 PM ET
Graham Hays covers college sports for espnW, including softball and soccer. Hays began with ESPN in 1999.
Although some WNBA players offered positive reviews of their accommodations upon arriving for the league's resumption of play, others found rodent traps, bugs and showers that didn't drain.
The dramatically differing experiences in the WNBA's self-styled "bubble," which many chronicled on social media, underscored preexisting concerns about the league's preparedness and organization as it attempts to stage a 22-game regular season and playoffs at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.
WNBA players choosing to participate in a season reshaped by the coronavirus pandemic traveled to Florida on Monday (the Indiana Fever delayed their arrival after two players tested positive). Late Monday, a Twitter thread from ESPN's Kayla Johnson that included videos shared with her and taken in player lodgings showed a spartan laundry room in which a rodent trap sat conspicuously on a ledge and a worm was on the carpet.
Responding to a tweet from NBA counterpart Damian Lillard, A'ja Wilson vouched for the video's authenticity. A source close to players in Bradenton also confirmed its authenticity to ESPN and said players encountered a broken bed, faulty plumbing and marginal food.
The league sent players a survey Tuesday seeking input on their lodging, and one source close to players who had negative experiences noted that the league was proactive Tuesday in its efforts to address concerns.
Another source told ESPN that IMG brought in third-party exterminators Tuesday and found no signs of bedbugs in the specified lodgings.
"We have been working closely with IMG and the Players Association to address issues players have expressed about one of the housing locations on campus," the WNBA said in its statement Tuesday. "IMG is accommodating all player requests regarding these issues, including moving players to other accommodations."
All of the players in question were staying at The Lodge at IMG Academy, one of three housing sites for players near the arena where games will be played. Run by IMG, the hotel is described on the academy website as ideal for short and extended stays. According to the Bradenton Herald, construction began in 2017, making it the newest of the sites used by the WNBA.
Other players are staying either in a second hotel on the IMG campus, along with much of the league's staff, or in fully furnished apartment home "villas" on site. No players are staying in the dormitory-style residence halls for IMG students.
The negative reviews were far from universal as players settled in for a four-day quarantine period.
The Chicago Sky's Cheyenne Parker posted an Instagram story on Monday touring what appears to be one of the villas, including the laundry room, and could be heard praising the accommodations. The Connecticut Sun's Natisha Hiedeman also posted a story from her lodgings of her relaxing with a plate full of crab legs.
The Minnesota Lynx's Lexie Brown tweeted Tuesday, acknowledging that what she saw in the video was "disgusting and unacceptable" but noting that her own accommodations were "super nice."
WNBPA executive director Terri Jackson said the league extended an offer to the union late in preparation last month to tour the prospective lodging sites in person, but the timing made such a trip impractical. She added the union did review videos supplied by the league from its tour last month and IMG of the facilities and helped allot the lodging space based on player preferences.
"I thought that the league would identify a return-to-play site that would accommodate professional athletes," Jackson told ESPN. "And I'm still hoping that will prove to be true."
Jackson said "a few" players in the Lodge asked to be relocated Monday night, and those requests were met. All players then heard from IMG in a previously scheduled orientation call Monday, with assurances from IMG that the concerns would be addressed.
"I look forward to seeing an immediate resolution," Jackson said.
The lodging complaints come in the context of a series of concerns expressed by players as the league attempts to get its 24th season off the ground amidst the pandemic that shut down professional sports this spring.
The WNBA announced its return plans on June 15. Players subsequently expressed concern about the short amount of time they had to decide whether to play (those who opt out without medical approval will not be paid). ESPN earlier reported that players did not receive detailed information about the self-contained "bubble" at IMG until a day before their decisions were due. Questions also arose about adequate training staff, with traveling parties limited to less than half of those allotted to NBA teams.
One source described the league as generally "opaque" in its communication with players and told ESPN on Tuesday that there was frustration about players' having to train and undergo COVID-19 testing in their markets last week and then return home, in some cases, before traveling to Florida.
- Illinois And Wisconsin Disagree On The Most Hated Bug - 1440wrok.com - April 13th, 2021
- Bed bugs: A home remedy could deter the creepy crawlies from infesting your home - Express - October 21st, 2020
- Rentals, HUD, and Laws About Bed Bug Treatment - Yes Pest ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - The Ridgefield Press - August 2nd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 31st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Fairfield Citizen - July 30th, 2020
- 'You want us to eat this s***?' J.R. Smith and Joel Embiid join NBA players blasting 'airline' meals - Armenian Reporter - July 13th, 2020
- Indianapolis, Indiana Bed Bug Reports - June 9th, 2020
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators in Indianapolis, IN 2020 - June 9th, 2020
- Indiana Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - February 23rd, 2020
- This City Has the Worst Bed Bug Infestation in America - Reader's Digest - January 30th, 2020
- Smithereen Pest Management Services - Bug Extermination - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Pest Control in Central Indiana | Freedom Pest ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Lawyer's bed bugs close Oklahoma courthouse - National ... - March 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Allen County Department of Health - November 17th, 2018
- Indiana Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Indianapolis, Carmel, Kokomo - December 28th, 2017
- Indiana, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 15th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health - August 12th, 2017
- Accidental Therapists: - PCT Magazine - July 27th, 2017
- Ticks and bedbugs worry health department - Batesville Herald Tribune - July 24th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - SFGate - SFGate - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Lake Michigan beaches to keep birds away - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- Free Fair drawing closer - Newsexaminer - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control - Indiana Pest Control - June 16th, 2017
- Hostel Surroundings - Kokomo Perspective - June 16th, 2017
- Avoid the Biting Burden of Bed Bugs This Summer - PR Newswire (press release) - June 5th, 2017
- Indianapolis Pest Control Pros Identify Bed Bugs In ... - March 2nd, 2017
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When Shopping for Clothing ... - February 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs From a San Francisco Hotel - hotels.about.com - December 29th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Muncie Indiana - May 2nd, 2016
- Indiana Pest Control | Indianapolis, Carmel & Kokomo ... - April 12th, 2016
- Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the ... - April 3rd, 2016
- Lafayette Bed Bug Control | Lafayette Exterminator | Indiana - March 16th, 2016
- Bed bugs life cycle - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs in Cincinnati (including regional area) - March 7th, 2016
- Signs of Bed Bugs on Sheets | eHow - March 7th, 2016
- Indy holds tight on bed bugs list - January 24th, 2015
- Does Purdue University Have Bed Bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- Hey, I'm in Indiana: Bed Bugs are on Satan's Team - November 20th, 2014
- Monroe Countys bedbug problem is far from over, experts ... - November 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatments Indianapolis, IN | 317-520-9800 - July 7th, 2014
- Avoid hitchhiking bed bugs during summer travels - July 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. - Real ... - March 18th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Antique Auto Repair Geneva IL 60134 ... - February 22nd, 2014
- Indianapolis Pest Control | Bed Bugs Indianapolis - January 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Indiana | Alert Bed Bug Detection Agency | Bed Bugs Ohio - January 16th, 2014
- Fort Wayne Pest Control | Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs - January 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - December 26th, 2013
- Battling bed bug epidemic - December 22nd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Found in Indiana Apartment Complex, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help ... - December 19th, 2013
- Parents worry about bed bugs in Arlington High School - December 12th, 2013
- Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bug Dogs In Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Louisville And IN ... - November 27th, 2013
- Indiana Apartment Association - Bed_Bugs - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis, Indiana ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Plague - Bed Bugs Are Back - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Termites - Gold Seal - November 3rd, 2013
- Power Over Pests, Bed Bugs & Termites | Terminix - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Dog | Bed Bug Inspectors - Bed Bugs Chicago - November 3rd, 2013
- ISDH: Bed Bugs - In - November 3rd, 2013
- Cincinnati Still #2 In Nation For Bed Bugs - June 12th, 2012
- Clark Arms residents dealing with bed bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Cincinnati Sees Decline in Bed Bug Infestation - March 15th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Infest Indiana Children's Hospital! - February 14th, 2012
- Bedbugs Found At Indianapolis Children's Hospital - February 14th, 2012
- Bed bugs discovered at Riley Hospital at IU Health - February 13th, 2012
- Bed bugs found in Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis - February 13th, 2012
- B-Roll Footage: Rayovac Indestructible LED 3 C Cell Flashlight - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Bedbugs found at Indianapolis work release center - Video - December 5th, 2011
- Assisted Living Facility Fighting Bed Bugs - Video - October 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug hunt - October 5th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, November 22, 2010 - October 4th, 2011
- Stevens Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Doug Summers Interview - September 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug search - September 18th, 2011
- Who's Sleeping in YOUR Bed? Mattress Superstore BedGuard - September 16th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Reported on IU Bloomington Campus - September 15th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, September 22, 2010 - September 10th, 2011
- Indiana Day 4 - September 8th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.