Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
EAST CHICAGO, Ind. It's fitting a dog named River is keeping seagulls and Canada geese away from the water at Lake Michigan beaches managed by East Chicago.
River is just one of many trained border collies from Wild Goose Chase, a bird management company out of Chicago Ridge, Illinois, who along with their trainers patrol the beaches daily from May 1 through Aug. 31 to keep nuisance birds such as gulls and geese from loafing there.
The goal is to keep seagulls and Canada geese off the long, contiguous stretch of beach that includes Jeorse Park Beach and Buffington Harbor Beach. The birds are being chased because they are one source of E. coli that negatively affects water quality, said Sue Hagberg, president of Wild Goose Chase.
This marks the second full year Wild Goose Chase dogs are patrolling the beach in a program fully funded through a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency that is applied for and administered by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
Hagberg said the city is just looking for ways to bring people out to the beach and swim in the lake.
"The beach has had a complete turnaround with the amount of money they've invested in it," she said. "Word is getting out it's a great place to spend time."
It's all about the dog's eye contact
Hagberg said it's not so much about the chase when it comes to bird management it's the ability of a border collie to make eye contact to the birds, which is threatening. Border collies are herding breeds and motivated by work, Hagberg said. They use their eyes to move animals, whether sheep or goats or ducks.
"Birds have incredible eyesight," Hagberg said. "I can be walking down the beach with a golden retriever that is not as threatening as somebody staring and stalking at you in a crowd. That's what we're trying to mimic."
Hagberg said they generally walk the dog up and down the beach even if they only see a few of the targeted birds. Some birds are not pursued because they do want to increase the diversity of the waterfowl.
Hagberg said few pest control companies have the ability to help this way because most of what her business is about is observation.
"Why are the birds there?" she asked. "They're looking for food opportunities, a way to raise their young. You can't kill a lot of the birds because they're protected. We have to find a way to manage them and coexist."
Hagberg said seagulls are extremely resilient.
"You may not have one in your visual view and someone throws a potato chip in the air and you have 100," she said. "More people at the beach means there is generally more food at the beach, which means there is more attractants to the birds."
Keep beaches clean, don't feed the birds
Hagberg said if people want to visit the beach, one of the things they can do to help keep beaches clean is to not feed the birds.
"It's not healthy for them," she said.
Giving Canada geese bread, for instance, can cause a deformity in their wings and affect their ability to fly, Hagberg said.
Wild Goose Chase has about 30 dogs, some of who are rescue dogs that have been trained. The company has other divisions, too, including scent detection where dogs can sniff out bed bugs or oil or gas leaks.
Wild Goose Chase also is doing bird counts at Whiting's Whihala Beach where staff literally counts nuisance birds to see if there is a significant number of them. Hagberg said it's step one of the program to see if it "becomes a chase."
Natalie Adams, general manager of the East Chicago marina and lakefront, said the dog program has had an impact as the city works to reduce bacteria at lakefronts and beaches. She said the city is dedicated to keeping the beaches as clean as possible.
According to IDEM, the number of samples exceeding the state's recreational water quality standards has decreased as compared to the same time in 2016.
Jeorse Park Beach, divided into two sections, is down 25 and 18 percent. Buffington Harbor has a 33 percent decrease. After the completion of the first year of the program, the 2016 beach season, IDEM said the beaches showed significant improvement with decreases at Jeorse Park of 43 and 50 percent and 25 percent at Buffington Harbor
IDEM said the 2016 exceedance rates for these beaches were the lowest recorded since the beach monitoring program administered by IDEM started in 2004. The results led IDEM to seek additional funding from the EPA to implement the program again this year.
Source: The (Northwest Indiana) Times.
- Illinois And Wisconsin Disagree On The Most Hated Bug - 1440wrok.com - April 13th, 2021
- Bed bugs: A home remedy could deter the creepy crawlies from infesting your home - Express - October 21st, 2020
- Rentals, HUD, and Laws About Bed Bug Treatment - Yes Pest ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - The Ridgefield Press - August 2nd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 31st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Fairfield Citizen - July 30th, 2020
- 'You want us to eat this s***?' J.R. Smith and Joel Embiid join NBA players blasting 'airline' meals - Armenian Reporter - July 13th, 2020
- WNBA working with players on housing concerns in Florida - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Indianapolis, Indiana Bed Bug Reports - June 9th, 2020
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators in Indianapolis, IN 2020 - June 9th, 2020
- Indiana Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - February 23rd, 2020
- This City Has the Worst Bed Bug Infestation in America - Reader's Digest - January 30th, 2020
- Smithereen Pest Management Services - Bug Extermination - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Pest Control in Central Indiana | Freedom Pest ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Lawyer's bed bugs close Oklahoma courthouse - National ... - March 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Allen County Department of Health - November 17th, 2018
- Indiana Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Indianapolis, Carmel, Kokomo - December 28th, 2017
- Indiana, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 15th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health - August 12th, 2017
- Accidental Therapists: - PCT Magazine - July 27th, 2017
- Ticks and bedbugs worry health department - Batesville Herald Tribune - July 24th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - SFGate - SFGate - July 8th, 2017
- Free Fair drawing closer - Newsexaminer - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control - Indiana Pest Control - June 16th, 2017
- Hostel Surroundings - Kokomo Perspective - June 16th, 2017
- Avoid the Biting Burden of Bed Bugs This Summer - PR Newswire (press release) - June 5th, 2017
- Indianapolis Pest Control Pros Identify Bed Bugs In ... - March 2nd, 2017
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When Shopping for Clothing ... - February 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs From a San Francisco Hotel - hotels.about.com - December 29th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Muncie Indiana - May 2nd, 2016
- Indiana Pest Control | Indianapolis, Carmel & Kokomo ... - April 12th, 2016
- Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the ... - April 3rd, 2016
- Lafayette Bed Bug Control | Lafayette Exterminator | Indiana - March 16th, 2016
- Bed bugs life cycle - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs in Cincinnati (including regional area) - March 7th, 2016
- Signs of Bed Bugs on Sheets | eHow - March 7th, 2016
- Indy holds tight on bed bugs list - January 24th, 2015
- Does Purdue University Have Bed Bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- Hey, I'm in Indiana: Bed Bugs are on Satan's Team - November 20th, 2014
- Monroe Countys bedbug problem is far from over, experts ... - November 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatments Indianapolis, IN | 317-520-9800 - July 7th, 2014
- Avoid hitchhiking bed bugs during summer travels - July 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. - Real ... - March 18th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Antique Auto Repair Geneva IL 60134 ... - February 22nd, 2014
- Indianapolis Pest Control | Bed Bugs Indianapolis - January 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Indiana | Alert Bed Bug Detection Agency | Bed Bugs Ohio - January 16th, 2014
- Fort Wayne Pest Control | Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs - January 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - December 26th, 2013
- Battling bed bug epidemic - December 22nd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Found in Indiana Apartment Complex, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help ... - December 19th, 2013
- Parents worry about bed bugs in Arlington High School - December 12th, 2013
- Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bug Dogs In Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Louisville And IN ... - November 27th, 2013
- Indiana Apartment Association - Bed_Bugs - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis, Indiana ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Plague - Bed Bugs Are Back - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Termites - Gold Seal - November 3rd, 2013
- Power Over Pests, Bed Bugs & Termites | Terminix - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Dog | Bed Bug Inspectors - Bed Bugs Chicago - November 3rd, 2013
- ISDH: Bed Bugs - In - November 3rd, 2013
- Cincinnati Still #2 In Nation For Bed Bugs - June 12th, 2012
- Clark Arms residents dealing with bed bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Cincinnati Sees Decline in Bed Bug Infestation - March 15th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Infest Indiana Children's Hospital! - February 14th, 2012
- Bedbugs Found At Indianapolis Children's Hospital - February 14th, 2012
- Bed bugs discovered at Riley Hospital at IU Health - February 13th, 2012
- Bed bugs found in Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis - February 13th, 2012
- B-Roll Footage: Rayovac Indestructible LED 3 C Cell Flashlight - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Bedbugs found at Indianapolis work release center - Video - December 5th, 2011
- Assisted Living Facility Fighting Bed Bugs - Video - October 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug hunt - October 5th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, November 22, 2010 - October 4th, 2011
- Stevens Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Doug Summers Interview - September 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug search - September 18th, 2011
- Who's Sleeping in YOUR Bed? Mattress Superstore BedGuard - September 16th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Reported on IU Bloomington Campus - September 15th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, September 22, 2010 - September 10th, 2011
- Indiana Day 4 - September 8th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.