Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
In comparison to our forbears, travelers today have it pretty easy. Just a few clicks of the keyboard reserves a nice clean comfortable bed in which to rest their weary bones after a long day's journey followed up by a nice, inclusive continental breakfast to kickstart the next morning.
In grandma & grandpa's day there were no motels. Either they stayed with relatives along the way, cozied up in a tourist cabin, slept on the seats if traveling by automobile or checked into a hotel. The latter tended to offer the best accommodations, but was a bit pricey.
Hotels during the 20's & 30's could generally be found in the city's center, near the action. More often than not, a railway station would be located nearby, facilitating easy transition to the chosen place of abidance for passengers.
Hotels were utilized, not only by travelers, but also by those folks who enjoyed the convenience offered at the hostelries. So they located their permanent address at Hotel So-and-So. It sounded so chic.
A solid reputation was paramount to the success of any location offering public lodging. Being known as a fleabag was a certain kiss of death. Bedbugs were taboo in any instance.
One avenue used to garner favorable reviews was through the hotel's restaurant. Many became quite popular for offering world class food items. One may have been favored for their prime steaks. Another for their shrimp, clams or lobster. Rest assured, if the restaurant received two thumbs up, word spread like wildfire, nearly guaranteeing prosperity for the affiliated hotel and its investors.
Recalling when my parents wished to go dining and dancing, the opulent Claypool Hotel in Indianapolis was their destination. There was none finer in the state.
Kokomo was not without its pair of fine downtown hotels. There were smaller ones dotted around of course, but the Hotel Frances located on the northeast corner of Mulberry & Buckeye and the Courtland Hotel at 401 N. Main St. were the tops. Both served the Kokomo area for decades.
Communication was still light years away from cellphones or any satellite infused devices. There were very few telephones in the rooms if any. A lobby phone or phone booths were available for patrons in the lobby area. The telegraph remained in heavy use, thereby offices were located near the hotels
The Frances and Courtland were close to everything. The Pennsylvania Railroad station at Main & Elm, plus the L.E.&W (later Nickle Plate) station at Jackson & Buckeye were but a brief walk to both locations. If one wished to shop, simply stepping outside placed a wide variety at your fingertips. Movie theaters abounded nearby. Taverns, pool halls, churches, everything from A to Z was but a stone's throw away.
Large gatherings of business, professional, civic or fraternal organizations were often conducted in the banquet rooms offered by the pair. Floral centerpieces on linen tablecloths, fine china, iced water goblets and table service aligned atop folded linen napkins was standard for such assemblies. Often, local photographers would be hired to freeze-frame the events for posterity.
It was a storied, exciting time which surrounded the gilded edifices. During the days of my youth, a few years apart, both suffered the inglorious fate of succumbing to the flame. They were replaced by flat, nondescript asphalt. Two more places to park the fossil burners.
Although they have been absent from our local skyline for many years, I still miss those two towering old brutes. We shall never see their kind again. A lot of laughter and good times took place between their stone and brick walls. Should old acquaintance be forgot?
Hostel Surroundings - Kokomo Perspective
- Illinois And Wisconsin Disagree On The Most Hated Bug - 1440wrok.com - April 13th, 2021
- Bed bugs: A home remedy could deter the creepy crawlies from infesting your home - Express - October 21st, 2020
- Rentals, HUD, and Laws About Bed Bug Treatment - Yes Pest ... - August 3rd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - The Ridgefield Press - August 2nd, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 31st, 2020
- Enslaved people's health was ignored from the country's beginning, laying the groundwork for today's health disparities - Fairfield Citizen - July 30th, 2020
- 'You want us to eat this s***?' J.R. Smith and Joel Embiid join NBA players blasting 'airline' meals - Armenian Reporter - July 13th, 2020
- WNBA working with players on housing concerns in Florida - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Indianapolis, Indiana Bed Bug Reports - June 9th, 2020
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators in Indianapolis, IN 2020 - June 9th, 2020
- Indiana Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - February 23rd, 2020
- This City Has the Worst Bed Bug Infestation in America - Reader's Digest - January 30th, 2020
- Smithereen Pest Management Services - Bug Extermination - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Pest Control in Central Indiana | Freedom Pest ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Lawyer's bed bugs close Oklahoma courthouse - National ... - March 12th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Allen County Department of Health - November 17th, 2018
- Indiana Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Indianapolis, Carmel, Kokomo - December 28th, 2017
- Indiana, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - November 15th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health - August 12th, 2017
- Accidental Therapists: - PCT Magazine - July 27th, 2017
- Ticks and bedbugs worry health department - Batesville Herald Tribune - July 24th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - SFGate - SFGate - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Lake Michigan beaches to keep birds away - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- Free Fair drawing closer - Newsexaminer - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control - Indiana Pest Control - June 16th, 2017
- Avoid the Biting Burden of Bed Bugs This Summer - PR Newswire (press release) - June 5th, 2017
- Indianapolis Pest Control Pros Identify Bed Bugs In ... - March 2nd, 2017
- How to Avoid Bed Bugs When Shopping for Clothing ... - February 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs From a San Francisco Hotel - hotels.about.com - December 29th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Muncie Indiana - May 2nd, 2016
- Indiana Pest Control | Indianapolis, Carmel & Kokomo ... - April 12th, 2016
- Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the ... - April 3rd, 2016
- Lafayette Bed Bug Control | Lafayette Exterminator | Indiana - March 16th, 2016
- Bed bugs life cycle - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs in Cincinnati (including regional area) - March 7th, 2016
- Signs of Bed Bugs on Sheets | eHow - March 7th, 2016
- Indy holds tight on bed bugs list - January 24th, 2015
- Does Purdue University Have Bed Bugs - November 22nd, 2014
- Hey, I'm in Indiana: Bed Bugs are on Satan's Team - November 20th, 2014
- Monroe Countys bedbug problem is far from over, experts ... - November 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatments Indianapolis, IN | 317-520-9800 - July 7th, 2014
- Avoid hitchhiking bed bugs during summer travels - July 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Bettenhausen & Jarman, Ltd. - Real ... - March 18th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - Antique Auto Repair Geneva IL 60134 ... - February 22nd, 2014
- Indianapolis Pest Control | Bed Bugs Indianapolis - January 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Indiana | Alert Bed Bug Detection Agency | Bed Bugs Ohio - January 16th, 2014
- Fort Wayne Pest Control | Getting Rid Of Bed Bugs - January 4th, 2014
- Indiana Bed Bugs - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - December 26th, 2013
- Battling bed bug epidemic - December 22nd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Found in Indiana Apartment Complex, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help ... - December 19th, 2013
- Parents worry about bed bugs in Arlington High School - December 12th, 2013
- Good Night, Sleep Tight, and Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bug Dogs In Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Louisville And IN ... - November 27th, 2013
- Indiana Apartment Association - Bed_Bugs - November 25th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis ... - November 18th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Indianapolis Hotels - Indianapolis, Indiana ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Plague - Bed Bugs Are Back - November 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Termites - Gold Seal - November 3rd, 2013
- Power Over Pests, Bed Bugs & Termites | Terminix - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Dog | Bed Bug Inspectors - Bed Bugs Chicago - November 3rd, 2013
- ISDH: Bed Bugs - In - November 3rd, 2013
- Cincinnati Still #2 In Nation For Bed Bugs - June 12th, 2012
- Clark Arms residents dealing with bed bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Cincinnati Sees Decline in Bed Bug Infestation - March 15th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Infest Indiana Children's Hospital! - February 14th, 2012
- Bedbugs Found At Indianapolis Children's Hospital - February 14th, 2012
- Bed bugs discovered at Riley Hospital at IU Health - February 13th, 2012
- Bed bugs found in Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis - February 13th, 2012
- B-Roll Footage: Rayovac Indestructible LED 3 C Cell Flashlight - Video - February 6th, 2012
- Bedbugs found at Indianapolis work release center - Video - December 5th, 2011
- Assisted Living Facility Fighting Bed Bugs - Video - October 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug hunt - October 5th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, November 22, 2010 - October 4th, 2011
- Stevens Pest Control - October 1st, 2011
- Doug Summers Interview - September 18th, 2011
- smiley bedbug search - September 18th, 2011
- Who's Sleeping in YOUR Bed? Mattress Superstore BedGuard - September 16th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Reported on IU Bloomington Campus - September 15th, 2011
- WTIU Newsbreak, September 22, 2010 - September 10th, 2011
- Indiana Day 4 - September 8th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.