Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
EAST CHICAGO, Ind. (AP) It's fitting a dog named River is keeping seagulls and Canada geese away from the water at Lake Michigan beaches managed by East Chicago.
River is just one of many trained border collies from Wild Goose Chase, a bird management company out of Chicago Ridge, Illinois, who along with their trainers patrol the beaches daily from May 1 through Aug. 31 to keep nuisance birds such as gulls and geese from loafing there.
The goal is to keep seagulls and Canada geese off the long, contiguous stretch of beach that includes Jeorse Park Beach and Buffington Harbor Beach. The birds are being chased because they are one source of E. coli that negatively affects water quality, said Sue Hagberg, president of Wild Goose Chase.
This marks the second full year Wild Goose Chase dogs are patrolling the beach in a program fully funded through a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency that is applied for and administered by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
Hagberg said the city is just looking for ways to bring people out to the beach and swim in the lake.
"The beach has had a complete turnaround with the amount of money they've invested in it," she said. "Word is getting out it's a great place to spend time."
It's all about the dog's eye contact
Hagberg said it's not so much about the chase when it comes to bird management it's the ability of a border collie to make eye contact to the birds, which is threatening. Border collies are herding breeds and motivated by work, Hagberg said. They use their eyes to move animals, whether sheep or goats or ducks.
"Birds have incredible eyesight," Hagberg said. "I can be walking down the beach with a golden retriever that is not as threatening as somebody staring and stalking at you in a crowd. That's what we're trying to mimic."
Hagberg said they generally walk the dog up and down the beach even if they only see a few of the targeted birds. Some birds are not pursued because they do want to increase the diversity of the waterfowl.
Hagberg said few pest control companies have the ability to help this way because most of what her business is about is observation.
"Why are the birds there?" she asked. "They're looking for food opportunities, a way to raise their young. You can't kill a lot of the birds because they're protected. We have to find a way to manage them and coexist."
Hagberg said seagulls are extremely resilient.
"You may not have one in your visual view and someone throws a potato chip in the air and you have 100," she said. "More people at the beach means there is generally more food at the beach, which means there is more attractants to the birds."
Keep beaches clean, don't feed the birds
Hagberg said if people want to visit the beach, one of the things they can do to help keep beaches clean is to not feed the birds.
"It's not healthy for them," she said.
Giving Canada geese bread, for instance, can cause a deformity in their wings and affect their ability to fly, Hagberg said.
Wild Goose Chase has about 30 dogs, some of who are rescue dogs that have been trained. The company has other divisions, too, including scent detection where dogs can sniff out bed bugs or oil or gas leaks.
Wild Goose Chase also is doing bird counts at Whiting's Whihala Beach where staff literally counts nuisance birds to see if there is a significant number of them. Hagberg said it's step one of the program to see if it "becomes a chase."
Natalie Adams, general manager of the East Chicago marina and lakefront, said the dog program has had an impact as the city works to reduce bacteria at lakefronts and beaches. She said the city is dedicated to keeping the beaches as clean as possible.
According to IDEM, the number of samples exceeding the state's recreational water quality standards has decreased as compared to the same time in 2016.
Jeorse Park Beach, divided into two sections, is down 25 and 18 percent. Buffington Harbor has a 33 percent decrease. After the completion of the first year of the program, the 2016 beach season, IDEM said the beaches showed significant improvement with decreases at Jeorse Park of 43 and 50 percent and 25 percent at Buffington Harbor
IDEM said the 2016 exceedance rates for these beaches were the lowest recorded since the beach monitoring program administered by IDEM started in 2004. The results led IDEM to seek additional funding from the EPA to implement the program again this year.
Source: The (Northwest Indiana) Times, http://bit.ly/2sli272
Information from: The Times, http://www.nwitimes.com
See the original post here:
Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - Beloit Daily News
- From blankets to backpacks to key fobs, Shawna Gilleland wore her love for the Iowa Hawkeyes - Des Moines Register - October 31st, 2020
- Early Humans Knew the Art of Creating Comfy Pest Free Beds According to Study! Is it true? Details here - Gizmo Posts 24 - August 19th, 2020
- How To Check for Bed Bugs - Illinois Bed Bug Registry ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Illinois Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rights and Responsibilities - Housing - Illinois - July 29th, 2020
- How to Keep Bed Bugs Out of Your House - Healthy Home ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Inspection | CDIS - Canine Inspection & Detection ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Registry Database Illinois, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - March 1st, 2019
- Illinois Tollway Building Has Bed Bugs, Employee Claims ... - March 1st, 2019
- Bed bugs on the increase in Illinois but lack of DDT makes ... - March 1st, 2019
- Dealing with bed bugs | Illinois Legal Aid Online - July 22nd, 2018
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - FOX 29 - August 11th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs | Local ... - MyWebTimes.com - July 25th, 2017
- Bed bug numbers on the rise in Central Illinois - Herald & Review - July 22nd, 2017
- The bedbug letter - Casper Star-Tribune Online - July 10th, 2017
- What you need to know about bed bugs in Chicago | Illinois ... - July 8th, 2017
- Local Pest Control Warns about Bed Bugs - CIproud.com - June 23rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs Archives - PMCS-ICAP - June 19th, 2017
- BedBug Central Announces April Survey Results - PCT Magazine - June 16th, 2017
- In 'Boundless,' The Modern World Is Timeless - NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS - June 5th, 2017
- Where fake news goes to die - MyStateline.com - March 10th, 2017
- Investigation: Homeless families nonprofit climbing back from money troubles - TCPalm - February 24th, 2017
- Bedbugs 'an ongoing problem' - MyWebTimes.com - February 11th, 2017
- Beating Back Bed Bugs | Midwest Pesticide Action Center - February 1st, 2017
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bugs - January 6th, 2017
- Search for bed bugs in a hotel room (expert tips ... - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Chicago Illinois Pest Control | Fox - April 4th, 2016
- News Release - University of Illinois Extension - April 4th, 2016
- BED BUGS HOTLINE | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- BED BUGS EDUCATION | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs - StopPests.org - October 31st, 2015
- Illinois - Bed Bug Store - October 30th, 2015
- Identify Bed Bugs: Pictures and Descriptions - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pest Control in Chicago, IL | Midwest Exterminating - September 14th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Keylime Cove, Gurnee, IL - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Images - Bedbugger.com - August 3rd, 2015
- Peoria County Government :: Bed Bugs - July 29th, 2015
- Lambs Farm battling bed bug infestation - March 17th, 2015
- Milwaukee challenging Orkin report that bed bugs are on the rise - January 22nd, 2015
- Chicago ranked as worst city in America for bed bugs - January 21st, 2015
- Scientists developing first bed bug trap - December 27th, 2014
- Bed Bugs- U of I Extension - December 8th, 2014
- Aurora leads (six) pack in expensive beer? - October 24th, 2014
- KILL BED BUGS CHICAGO ILLINOIS | 630-834-2423 | Kill Bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Illinois Department of Public Health takes action on bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Illinois - Bed Bugs And BeyondBed Bugs ... - April 24th, 2014
- Bed Bug Awareness Week Recognized April 20-26 - April 17th, 2014
- Bed bugs spotted at the Thompson Center - March 22nd, 2014
- Illinois - Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment ... - March 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Illinois - Go Bug Free, Inc. - Chicago, IL 60290 - February 25th, 2014
- Lawsuit: Bedbugs in suburban hotel force woman to cut dreadlocks - January 24th, 2014
- Bed Bugs' Infestation in Chicago Tops Latest Ranking, My Cleaning Products Tips Residents How to Kill Bed Bugs Quick ... - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Illinois | Bedbug Extermination in IL - January 18th, 2014
- Allied Termite and Pest Control - January 16th, 2014
- Metropolitan Tenants Organization » Bed Bugs – FAQ - January 4th, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Hilton Palmer House, Chicago, IL - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Illinois - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - November 27th, 2013
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bug Information - November 27th, 2013
- IN Bed Bug Control Gets Rid Of Bed Bugs In Indiana, Kentucky ... - November 25th, 2013
- Illinois teacher uses school bed bug infestation as teachable ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Are Making a Comeback in Illinois - November 4th, 2013
- Can You See Bed Bugs in Champaign IL - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of Public Health - November 3rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Chicago Hotels - Chicago, Illinois ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Chicago - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Free 2-Day Express Shipping on Vapamore Primo Steam Vapor System - October 13th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Hybrid Allergy Relief Steam Vapor Sanitization System - October 10th, 2012
- Innovative ‘Green Cleaning’ Steam Vapor Sanitization Systems Now Come with Free Accessories, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR ... - October 9th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Italian Bed Bug Steam Vapor System - October 6th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Steam Vapor Systems Learning Center - October 5th, 2012
- Professional Bed Bug Steam Vapor System Now Affordable and Available, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com - October 1st, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Extends Free Accessory Set Offer Through October - September 30th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Multifunctional Steam Vapor System that Makes Green Homekeeping Easy - September 30th, 2012
- Community Digest - June 16th, 2012
- FOX19 Investigates: Secret bed bug dangers - May 9th, 2012
- Champaign Man Upset Over Apartment Bed Bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Bed bugs are sucking the fun out of things - March 1st, 2012
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.