Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Image caption Saren Idaho (L) and Prince Latoya were held for five months in a police cell in Sierra Leone's capital
Saren Idaho said he has no connection to Sierra Leone and had never been to the country until he was deported there from the US six months ago.
"I know nobody here," lamented the 55-year-old father of two.
Looking unwell and struggling to walk, he sat down on a plastic chair in his sparsely furnished hotel room in the capital, Freetown. As he was talking he played with a pack of cigarettes and several butts were squashed in an ashtray beside him.
At least this was better than the crowded police cell, where he slept on the floor "with cockroaches, rats and bed bugs" for the first five months of his time here.
Prince Latoya, 47, was on the same deportation flight and is in the same situation.
Both men, who had never met before coming to Sierra Leone, were long-term residents of the US. But they say they were originally from the Caribbean, which the US authorities dispute.
Idaho and Latoya were expelled last August, along with 17 Sierra Leoneans, among other West Africans, who had been convicted of committing crimes in the US.
They ended up on that flight after staff at Sierra Leone's embassy in Washington DC were put under pressure by US officials, according to Isha Sillah, director for the Americas and the Pacific at the foreign ministry here.
She said that the US immigration authorities had submitted documents to the embassy that "appeared to suggest" that the two men were from Sierra Leone. Without cross-checking, embassy officials issued them each with an Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC).
Embassy staff had told her that "what contributed to the issuance of the ETC was also pressure piled on them by the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security" to accept them as Sierra Leoneans.
America forged documents to bring me here. And I know I was not born in this country"
"The Sierra Leone government are like puppets to the Americans," Latoya, who said he was originally from the Bahamas, told the BBC.
Idaho was angry with the US authorities.
"America forged documents to bring me here claiming this to be my country of citizenship," he said. "And I know I was not born in this country.
"I am from the Commonwealth of Dominica. What is so hard about returning to the US?"
This has now become a massive bureaucratic problem.
The foreign ministry has contacted the two Caribbean countries' embassies in Washington to certify that the two men were born there.
"The Dominican embassy has denied that Idaho is their national while the Bahamian embassy says more documents are needed to enable them make a determination - hence it's inconclusive," Ms Sillah said.
Meanwhile, they are stuck in limbo in the hotel.
The manager, Osman Kamara, said the men were checked in by the police with an advance payment for their lodging, but that ran out and an anonymous businessman stepped in to pay the bills to stop them being thrown out.
He also paid for a food and clothing allowance.
Before that, they were each getting $2.50 (2) to cover daily costs, which they said barely paid for breakfast and bottled water.
"We have been living here with no food, no medical care, nothing," Latoya said.
The two men had been receiving extra money from relatives sent through Western Union. But as their Sierra Leone travel documents have now expired, they can no longer pick up the cash as a valid photo ID is required.
Idaho said he had been living in the US for 28 years until he was arrested and jailed in 2018 for driving while drunk.
He has lost all his ID documents. They were in a house that was seized by the bank as he was unable to pay the mortgage because he was imprisoned, he said.
"All my possessions, including my birth certificate, are locked in a store somewhere after the takeover of the house," he told the BBC.
His wife of 17 years, Mowanda Idaho, and his two sons, aged 14 and 11, are now living in the US state of South Carolina.
"It has been devastating for me and the two boys with the 14-year-old now living in a state of depression and failing in school," Ms Idaho, who is an American citizen, said by phone.
She last saw him for "a five-minute encounter" when he was taken to prison in April 2018.
She had spoken to an immigration lawyer who told her that he had heard nothing like her husband's case before. But she says she cannot afford the legal fees to take the authorities to court.
Latoya, who had lived in the US for 25 years, was convicted of identity theft. He said he had no wife or children.
But the US government sees things differently.
In an email to the BBC, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) described Latoya as a "criminal alien who has been convicted of multiple identity theft-related criminal offenses".
It said that he entered the country illegally in 1997, and "on numerous occasions, Latoya stated to US immigration officers that he was a citizen of Sierra Leone".
The Sierra Leonean embassy in Washington confirmed his citizenship, the DHS said.
I never told then I was from Sierra Leone. Ask them to produce anything that said I claimed Sierra Leonean citizenship"
Latoya vehemently denied that he had made any claim to being from Sierra Leone.
"I never told then I was from Sierra Leone," he said.
"I don't know where they got this idea from. I went [to the US] by boat from the Bahamas. Ask them to produce anything that said I claimed Sierra Leonean citizenship."
The US authorities also called Idaho "a criminal alien", who entered the country in 1999, adding that he had "multiple convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol".
He had told the immigration officials that he was from Sierra Leone, according to the email from the DHS.
"I never claimed Sierra Leonean citizenship," Idaho said in response. "I don't have a multiple criminal record. I have only one conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol."
As for the idea that the US authorities pressurised the Sierra Leonean embassy into issuing travel documents, the DHS is adamant that this did not happen.
In fact, it said that "Sierra Leone has a history of refusing to issue travel documents for its citizens", a situation which put the country under temporary US visa sanctions in 2017.
But the government here does not think the men are Sierra Leonean. It had wanted to fly the two men to the Caribbean, but without confirmation of their citizenship it now hopes to hand them over to the International Office for Migration (IOM).
The IOM chief in Sierra Leone, Sanusi Savage, said that his agency had not received an official request. He said he had only received phone calls from foreign ministry officials including from the minister, Nabilla Tunis, to help.
"I promised to support them with tickets but upon producing official travel documents and acceptance of their countries of origin," he told the BBC.
But that has not happened yet and the two men continue to live at the mercy of bureaucratic bickering.
- Top 10 Worst States For Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Map Infographic ... - October 5th, 2021
- Bed Bug News Reports Bed Bugs in Idaho - July 12th, 2020
- Pest Control | Rocky Mountain Bedbugs - March 5th, 2020
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Custom Bed Bug - March 28th, 2019
- Kennewick WA Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - March 20th, 2019
- 3 Best Exterminators - Idaho Falls ID | Bed Bug, Insect ... - March 10th, 2019
- Dublin OH Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - January 24th, 2019
- Idaho Falls ID Dermatologist Doctors - How to Get Rid of ... - December 13th, 2018
- Effective Bed Bug Control in Idaho Falls, ID - October 5th, 2018
- Rocky Mountain Bed Bug - Pest Control Idaho Falls and ... - October 1st, 2018
- The Village Inn Motel & Restaurant - Prices & Hotel ... - April 21st, 2018
- Canine Bed Bug Detection | Western Exterminator - March 26th, 2018
- Cincinnati OH Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - January 29th, 2018
- Prime Pest Control | Spokane | Washington - December 20th, 2017
- Idaho, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - December 10th, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs - Idaho Statesman - July 25th, 2017
- Man who threw bedbugs at Maine municipal office is charged - Idaho Statesman - July 8th, 2017
- Bed Bugs 101 | Canine Scent Detection | BedBug Central - June 26th, 2017
- Angry man releases about 100 bed bugs at Maine city office - Idaho Statesman - June 6th, 2017
- Inside Spokane's insect invasion - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com - KHQ Right Now - June 6th, 2017
- Disgruntled man releases bedbugs in Maine city office - Idaho Statesman - June 5th, 2017
- Shawn Vestal: Breitbart and the 'devastation' of Twin Falls - The Spokesman-Review - February 8th, 2017
- Community concerned about bed bug infestation in Pocatello - LocalNews8.com - February 6th, 2017
- Are These Bed Bugs or Carpet Beetles? | Terminix - May 23rd, 2016
- Professional Bed Bug Control Services | Rentokil - March 26th, 2016
- Idaho Insects and Bugs - InsectIdentification.org - March 19th, 2016
- Houston Bed Bug Lawsuit - Brent Coon - March 7th, 2016
- How Long Can Bed Bugs Live Without Feeding? | Terminix - March 7th, 2016
- Idaho Pest Control & Exterminators | Alpha Ecological - March 7th, 2016
- How to Prevent Bed Bugs | eHow - October 19th, 2015
- Are These Bed Bugs or Fleas? | Terminix - September 24th, 2015
- Bed Bugs - Pest Control Services - September 22nd, 2015
- The Big Business Of Battling Bed Bugs - ABC News - September 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs - Vector ID Information - District Services ... - August 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug or Beetle? ID requested Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger ... - February 6th, 2015
- A guide to avoid bed bugs when traveling - Spokane, North ... - December 1st, 2014
- Bed Bugs on Thanksgiving Dinner Guest List - Spokane ... - November 28th, 2014
- InventHelp Client Invention, BED BUG DESTROYER, Designed ... - November 19th, 2014
- Mr. Copes Cave: Cometh the Dark Time - November 7th, 2014
- Gemtek Pest Control Announces Full Release of Pest+ Bed Bug and Termite Protection - June 15th, 2014
- This Hotel has bed bugs - Review of Comfort Inn, Boise, ID ... - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Eastern Idaho Public Health District Home - February 14th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Bedbugs - South Central Public Health District - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bug Registry Database Idaho, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - January 6th, 2014
- Bed bugs or body lice? Help ID [a: mites] « Got Bed Bugs ... - December 31st, 2013
- ID Help? Bed bug or swallow bug? « Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs – Ramsey County PH - December 12th, 2013
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing Bites at ... - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Eastern Idaho Public Health District - November 23rd, 2013
- The Bed Bug Resource » Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - November 23rd, 2013
- Help Id bug bites around groin area « Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger ... - November 18th, 2013
- Your bed bug questions answered - Dateline NBC - 'Don't let ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bug Symptoms and Other Possible Culprits | Boston Bed Bug ... - November 9th, 2013
- Your bed bug questions answered - Dateline NBC - 'Don't let the ... - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Spider Bites - November 3rd, 2013
- Help Id bug bites around groin area « Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs find their way into the Flathead - March 10th, 2012
- Spokane Exterminators Prime Pest Control - September 11th, 2011
- Hotel Video-Budget Motel Burley ID - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.