Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
The Hickory View apartment renovations arent working for residents that was the message a group of tenants delivered in a news conference Thursday in front of the publicly funded North Little Rock apartment building.
Tenants complained that in recent months, as theyve moved into apartments at the 171-unit tower that have been renovated under the federal Rental Assistance Demonstration program, safety equipment such as grab bars in showers and emergency call buttons arent widely available, but water leaks, bedbugs and mold are near-constant presences.
Hattie Temple, 56, has lived at the tower for five years and spoke at the news conference. She said that before the renovations, she loved her home. She lives on one of the highest floors and can see the city from her apartment.
Now, she said, she worries about her elderly neighbor who no longer has hand rails in her shower. She said many tenants are afraid to shower because of the risk of falling. She also said there are frequent water leaks and shes had water soaking from her bathroom to the living room.
Its just got to be too much, Temple said.
The federal Rental Assistance Demonstration program began under former President Barack Obama and expanded under President Donald Trump. Its a way for local housing authorities to repair public housing facilities across the country. Local housing authorities partner with private companies to fund renovations and manage the apartments.
The developments no longer serve as traditional public-housing projects, but become part of the Project-based Section 8 program, which gives each tenant a rental voucher to help with payments. Tenants pay 30% of their incomes to rent under the program.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Developments funding to housing authorities has declined for years, contributing to disrepair of many public-housing facilities. North Little Rock is the oldest housing authority in the state, and some of its buildings were constructed in the 1940s.
In 2012, the North Little Rock Housing Authority decided to participate in the federal program, and Hickory View formerly known as Heritage House was one of eight properties selected to undergo the renovations.
BGC Advantage, a Louisiana-based company, is responsible for managing Hickory View now, said Belinda Snow, the North Little Rock Housing Authority executive director.
On its website, BGC estimates the combined cost of renovations for Hickory View and Cedar Gardens, formerly known as Stephen W. Bowker Apartments, at nearly $34 million in various funds.
The housing authority inspects units regularly to ensure they meet federal standards when a tenant moves in, once a year and anytime there is a complaint and pays its portion of the rent.
We manage the rental assistance, Snow said. We dont manage the property, and we are not involved in the management of property, but we are concerned about the tenants.
The renovations arent finished yet, Snow added.
The plans have been reviewed and approved by all involved city, state and federal agencies, BGC chief executive officer Holly Knight said in a written statement.
The ultimate goal for this renovation is to modernize the units while providing quality of life enhancements for all residents, including an additional elevator and community rooms, Knight said. As the process for completing these renovations continues, it is important to note that any and all concerns communicated to us by residents and resident councils will be responded to directly and in a timely manner.
Knight added that the company wasnt aware of any mildew complaints. The company manages bedbug infestations on a case-by-case basis. She said shower bars are available in 18 units, and more can be requested through the reasonable accommodation process.
The call buttons werent staffed 24/7, Knight said. Therefore, the company felt that the aging and unreliable technology could actually put our residents at risk.
All units previously had grab bars in the showers because most residents were disabled or senior citizens. Now, the management company must have the accommodations in 5% of units, and anyone who requests should be able to get them, Snow said.
The company says it has grab bars in more than the required 5% of units.
Chandra Profit, 60, who was among three tenants who spoke at the news conference, said she had to switch apartments earlier this year because of bedbugs. And in her new unit, water leaks have caused mold, she said. She also wants her old handrail back in the shower because she frequently gets dizzy spells and is afraid of falling.
Were asking to be treated like human beings, she said Thursday.
Profit said she was living at Paris Towers in Little Rock when it underwent similar renovations and didnt like those either, so she was wary of what might happen at Hickory View in North Little Rock.
Neil Sealy, a community organizer with Arkansas Renters United, helped set up the news conference. He said his group has gotten calls from Hickory View tenants complaining about conditions.
He said many of the issues stemmed from a lack of communication with residents.
Without really bringing in the tenants, it just doesnt work, he said about the federal program.
Snow said the housing authority had frequent meetings with tenants about the renovations until residents were exhausted about the meetings.
Knight said the company had a tenant meeting Monday.
We believe that while change is always difficult, transparency builds trust, she said.
Tenants said they didnt know about many changes and werent given enough opportunity to tell management what they wanted in their homes.
Read this article:
Tenants displeased over US-funded apartment updates - Arkansas Online
- Bed Bugs | Central Termite and Pest in Arkansas - July 26th, 2020
- James Bennet and a moment of truth - Columbia Journalism Review - June 8th, 2020
- Jails working to keep inmates and staff safe from COVID-19 - KOLR - OzarksFirst.com - April 17th, 2020
- Petition to update TMC RP and use ClO2 to combat coronavirus - Commercial Carrier Journal - April 2nd, 2020
- Arkansas Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - March 1st, 2020
- In the news - Arkansas Online - January 10th, 2020
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Arkansas, Commercial Pest Control - December 13th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Arkansas Department of Health - May 25th, 2018
- Arkansas, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - May 24th, 2018
- What You Need to know BEFORE you Sign a Bed Bug ... - IBBRA - December 26th, 2017
- Can I Sue My Landlord for Bed Bugs in the Building? | Nolo.com - October 15th, 2017
- What if Another Tenant in My Building Has Bed Bugs? - October 10th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - Arkansas Online - August 5th, 2017
- How a Recycling Headache Offered an Opportunity to Help the ... - Earth Island Journal - June 29th, 2017
- Can I Sue My Landlord for Bed Bugs in the Building? - Nolo - June 19th, 2017
- Tyree: Daddy, don't you evolve so fast - Log Cabin Democrat - June 16th, 2017
- Luke Ford On Arkansas Visit: 'Actually Started Out Pretty Bad' - Campus Insiders - April 8th, 2017
- Hey Judes: The Opening Regional, Florida Spring Game, USC Recruiting - Campus Insiders - April 8th, 2017
- Booneville school treated for bed bugs - Helena Daily World - February 21st, 2017
- Booneville school treated for bed bugs - Arkansas News - February 20th, 2017
- Booneville School District Hires Exterminator To Rid Elementary Classroom Of Bed Bugs - 5newsonline.com - February 9th, 2017
- Expert Explains: Protecting Your Home From Bed Bugs - 5newsonline.com - February 9th, 2017
- How to Detect Bedbugs - Bed Bug Detection - January 6th, 2017
- Bed bug control techniques - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2016
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - December 10th, 2016
- More bed bug infestations in Arkansas | KATV - June 3rd, 2016
- Kyrie Irving says hotel bed bugs caused early exit from ... - March 23rd, 2016
- JRI: Kill BED BUG Instantly! Powerful Technology, KILLS ... - March 7th, 2016
- More bed bug infestations in Arkansas | News, Weather ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Reports for , (13 reports) | Bed Bug Registry and ... - January 29th, 2015
- Pest Control Blog - Clark Exterminating - January 24th, 2015
- KCK assisted living facility battling bed bugs - KAIT ... - November 20th, 2014
- Bed Bugs | Ladybug Pest Control | Northwest Arkansas - November 17th, 2014
- Bed bug cases on the rise in Arkansas | thv11.com - November 6th, 2014
- Bed bug infestation on rise in state | Arkansas News - March 18th, 2014
- Arkansas Bed Bug Control For Homes In Benton, Hot Springs ... - January 24th, 2014
- Arkansas Bed Bug Control For Homes In Benton, Hot Springs And ... - January 16th, 2014
- Increase of Bed Bugs in Arkansas Tops This Year's Ranking, My ... - January 16th, 2014
- Bed Bugs – Getting Rid of Bedbugs – Local Pest Control … - January 10th, 2014
- Bed bug - Conservapedia - December 28th, 2013
- Arthropod Museum, Dept. of Entomology, University of Arkansas - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Getting Rid of Bedbugs - Local Pest Control ... - December 23rd, 2013
- Increase of Bed Bugs in Arkansas Tops This Year's Ranking, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Spray to ... - December 23rd, 2013
- Arkansas Bed Bug Health Information - December 20th, 2013
- Epidemiology of bed bugs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 6th, 2013
- Arkansas leads nation for highest increase of bed bug cases ... - December 5th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Arkansas | Bedbug Exterminator in AR - November 30th, 2013
- ADH: Bed Bugs - Arkansas Department of Health - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug, Bed Bugs, Heat Treatment, Thermal Remediation, Bed ... - November 18th, 2013
- Welcome to Bed Bug Registry Database :: US and Canada Bed Bug ... - November 3rd, 2013
- TAMU - Bed Bugs - Texas A&M University Center for Urban and ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - October 15th, 2011
- Alex Saltz - Bed Bugs Bite - September 8th, 2011
- The Bed Bug Detector in Fayetteville, AR - September 8th, 2011
- The Bed Bug Detector in Bentonville, AR - September 6th, 2011
- The Bed Bug Detector - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.