Good morning, Greater Sudbury.
Here are some stories to start your day.
Toronto may be on top, but Greater Sudbury wasnt left off the list of the worst Canadian cities for bed bugs in 2017. Pest control company Orkin Canada released its annual Top Ten list on Tuesday. Toronto took the top spot with Winnipeg and Vancouver rounding out the top three. Greater Sudbury was ranked eighth. Find the full top ten, along with tips to protect yourself from bed bugs here.
A convicted pedophile will be back in court next month as the process moves forward to have him declared either a dangerous offender or a long-term offender. Following Paul McColeman's conviction last month on more than 30 charges, the Crown indicated would pursue one of the designations for the 45-year-old Espanola man. The first hearing in that process takes place Sept. 14 in Sudbury. McColeman, 45, was found guilty in June of dozens of charges, including communication for the purpose of child prostitution, luring children, sexual exploitation and indecent exposure involving 17 male minors from 2006 to late June 2014 in Espanola.
The Wiggles are coming to Sudbury Community Arena Saturday, Oct. 21 as part of the Big Show 2017 Tour. The world's favourite children's entertainment group, The Wiggles, are coming to the Nickel City for a performance. This brand new show will see Emma, Lachy, Simon and Anthony perform all over Canada. The Wiggles Big Show tour will run from September through to November of this year. Find the full story here.
By the afternoon of Aug. 1, two new forest fires have been confirmed in the Northeast region. There are currently 25 active fires in the region, 13 of which are being observed in the Cochrane sector for ecological benefit, as outlined in Ontarios Wildland Fire Management Strategy. These 13 fires are located in remote areas, and do not pose a threat to communities or infrastructure. The forest fire hazard is showing low to high, with the areas of most concern situated in the central portion and in the southeastern-most portion of the region.
Hydro One officially opened a customer service office at its Sudbury Field Business Centre this morning. The utility said the office is part of a pilot in three Ontario cities on improving customer service. The other two offices are in London and Markham. The pilot is part of a commitment Hydro One made earlier this year to increase its local presence and to deliver better customer service by meeting with its customers face-to-face. Customer service offices are open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Last week, a fire in Hanmer destroyed a barn and much of the hay supply used by Whinnying in Life. The local charity provides programs and support for people of all ages and abilities to learn how to cope better under stress using horses as part of their therapy.Members of the Greater Sudbury Airport Fire Services team are doing what they can to help.On Aug. 4, the team will be at Neil's Independent in Hanmer from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., holding a Fill the Boot drive in support of Whinnying in Life. All proceeds will go to the charity to help cover the cost of repairs.
Cinfest Sudbury International Film Festival revealed 19 of the films it will screen at the Sept. 16-24 festival at a Tuesday press conference, including three of its galas. But with around 125 films at the 29th edition of Cinfest, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Organizers will reveal the full lineup at another press conference later this month. Find out what films will be screened this year with the full story, found here.
When he was six years old, Darshan Geer sat in on his older brother Satya's dance class. It turned out to be a pivotal moment in his young life. I was so interested in it, he said. I was just watching. When I got home, I said to mom 'I want to dance can I dance?' Geer is now a 13-year-old accomplished competitive dancer at Extreme Dance Studio in Coniston. Mostly homeschooled, he's entering Grade 9 at Sudbury Secondary School in September, where he'll major in dance in the school's arts program. This summer, he's also starring in the title role in YES Theatre's production of Billy Elliot the Musical, which runs Aug. 4-20. Find the full story here.
The Sudbury Classic Cruisers Car Club will host their 26th annual car show this weekend in Copper Cliff. The two-day event kicks off in the evening on Saturday, Aug. 5, with the memorial cruise. Classic cars will depart from Costco (1465 Kingsway) at 6 p.m. and make their way to Copper Cliff. Vehicles will then arrive at 14 Poland Street in Copper Cliff, and the vehicle owners will be hanging out and showing off their rides until around 11 p.m. The main event goes Sunday, as all of the vehicles will be on display in Copper Cliff Park, with gates opening at 8 a.m. It's free to get in and check out the cars, but donations to the Sudbury Food Bank will be accepted at the gate.
Sudburian and foodie Stephanie Pich has created a way for local restaurants to take the lead in providing the advantage above the rest, with a secret dining club. Sudbury Secret Foodies was formed to act as a fun resource to show where the local food-loving Sudburians are eating, what they are eating and how their experience was. The way it works is Pich created an anonymous survey for each foodie to complete upon their dining experience. Each foodie has a unique User ID and each survey is completely confidential. The survey identifies five factors (Food, Service, Ambiance, Value for $, Overall Score, Noise Level), which is later compiled into reports that can be shared with the restaurants upon request. Find the full story here.
Wednesday looks like the first of a long stretch of damp days for Sudbury. There's a 60 per cent chance of showers today with a risk of a thunderstorm. Today's high will only be 22. A few clouds this evening with the low dropping to 12. For current weather conditions, short-term and long-term forecasts visit Sudbury.com's weather page at http://www.sudbury.com/weather.
Stories to start your day - Sudbury.com
- 'What are they going to say if I'm found dead?': Waterloo students demand action on housing - TheRecord.com - November 16th, 2019
- Toronto tenants give the citys RentSafeTO program failing grade - CityNews - November 14th, 2019
- Bedbug infestations: 4 takeaways from an expert - CBC.ca - October 31st, 2019
- Bed Bugs - Ottawa Public Health - June 3rd, 2019
- Full Encasement Bed Bug Barriers by HealthGuard - April 14th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Toronto Heat Treatment, Exterminator and ... - March 30th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Exterminators Toronto ON, Bed Bug Heat Treatment ... - July 30th, 2018
- Bed Bugs City of Toronto - July 28th, 2018
- Bed bugs in Ontario: A priority for public health? - July 9th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Info Pest Control - May 11th, 2018
- Bed Bug Heat Treatments | Kill Bed Bugs | Terminix Canada - March 19th, 2018
- Tenant Rights: Bed Bugs - November 14th, 2017
- Bed Bugs in the Workplace | City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - September 29th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - September 29th, 2017
- Bed Bug Strategy - CityHousing Hamilton - September 27th, 2017
- Bed bugs in Hamilton, Ontario: lessons for landlords and ... - September 27th, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Motel for the homeless - The Barrie Examiner - August 11th, 2017
- Sudbury lands 8th on list of bed bug-ridden cities - CBC.ca - August 4th, 2017
- Toronto ranked number 1 city in Canada for bed bugs - CityNews - August 2nd, 2017
- Tenant Rights: Bed Bugs - Settlement.Org - June 5th, 2017
- Ottawa ACORN to call for landlord licensing - MetroNews Canada - March 10th, 2017
- News Local - The Barrie Examiner - March 6th, 2017
- 'Nightmare' tenants, high costs make rental landscape a challenge for landlords, too - CBC.ca - March 2nd, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Toronto - Affordable Bed Bug Heat ... - February 19th, 2017
- Wellington North council supports Bluewater's resolution to keep status quo on provincial act - southwesternontario.ca - February 15th, 2017
- Pest Control in Toronto | Pesticon Pest Control - January 8th, 2017
- Bed Bugs - PEST CONTROL CANADA - July 22nd, 2016
- Ontario - Hamilton Bed Bugs Extermination - July 22nd, 2016
- Toronto Bed Bug Exterminator - Bed Bug Authority Canada ... - July 22nd, 2016
- GreenTech Mobile Bed Bug Heat Treatment - Toronto and ... - February 6th, 2015
- Bed Bugs Middlesex-London Health Unit - January 21st, 2015
- Activists demand more shelter beds after man dies on street - January 7th, 2015
- Ontario Bed Bugs Heat Solution | - December 1st, 2014
- Holiday Inn Burlington Ontario Bed Bugs Compare All Hotel ... - November 28th, 2014
- New councillor wants to look at repealing DDT ban to fight ... - November 20th, 2014
- New councillor calls for repeal of DDT ban to fight bed bugs - November 19th, 2014
- GreenTech Bed Bug Heat Treatment Exterminators Toronto Bed ... - June 2nd, 2014
- Toronto Bed Bug Removal | Get Rid of Bed Bugs | Magical ... - June 2nd, 2014
- Rapid bedbugs control in London ontario - April 2nd, 2014
- How to Spot and Control Bed Bugs - February 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Toronto | Bed Bug Deteciton Dogs | Canine Bed Bug Tracker - January 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Toronto | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Tenant Rights – Download ‘ BEDBUGSINFO.ca - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Toronto | One Day Bed Bug Heat Treatment - December 18th, 2013
- Bed bugs | City of Ottawa - December 12th, 2013
- Bed Bug Toronto Heat Treatment | Bed Bugs Removal - December 9th, 2013
- Health Department - Bed Bugs - Mansfield/Ontario/Richland ... - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bugs and Occupational Health – Download ‘ BEDBUGSINFO.ca - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Toronto One Day Elimination Of Ontario Heat Treatment - December 6th, 2013
- Hamilton Bed Bugs Extermination Services Hamilton, Ontario - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Exterminator Toronto Area | Heat-N-Go Bed Bug ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Toronto Bed Bugs Detection Services | Bed Bug Dogs | Bed Bug ... - November 19th, 2013
- Bed Bug Exterminators London Ontario - Bed bug heat treatment ... - November 19th, 2013
- Mississauga Pest Control Bed Bug Removal Toronto Bed Bugs Elimination - November 3rd, 2013
- Toronto Bed Bugs Detection Services | Bed Bug Dogs | Bed Bug Tracker - November 3rd, 2013
- Burlington Bed Bugs Extermination / Removal - Oakville, Milton ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Exterminators London Ontario - Bed bug heat treatment London - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs and Beyond - Bed Bug Toronto Heat Treatment One Day ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Zinck takes deadly aim at pesky bed bugs with organic spray product - October 14th, 2012
- HOWE ROOM: Zinck takes deadly aim at pesky bed bugs - October 14th, 2012
- It’s enough to keep you awake all night - June 16th, 2012
- Magical Pest Control ensures that children attending summer camp in Toronto and surrounding areas are safe from bed ... - May 30th, 2012
- YOUR HEALTH: ...Don’t let the bed bugs bite. - May 4th, 2012
- mar 28 2012 never rent from ackman winnipeg manitoba canada - Video - March 29th, 2012
- Resorts of Ontario Announces Program for 2012 Spring Conference & Trade Show - March 6th, 2012
- Inland Empire Rat Control, 909-824-4026, pest control riverside, Corona pest control - Video - January 7th, 2012
- When Bedbugs Attack! - Video - December 14th, 2011
- Bed Bug Exterminator Corona, 714-653-1141 Bed bug Inspection corona 714 - Video - December 9th, 2011
- bed bug bedbug powder super kill II (2) silica gel cat litter diatomaceous earth - Video - December 7th, 2011
- Bed Bug Exterminator Riverside, Bed bug Inspection Riverside 714-653-1141 - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Spotting Bed Bugs - Video - November 8th, 2011
- davybaby vs Bed Bugs Part 3 - October 5th, 2011
- Cheri DiNovo's Press Conference On BedBugs, Pt 4 - October 5th, 2011
- Cheri DiNovo's Press Conference On BedBugs, Pt 3 - October 4th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Information - October 4th, 2011
- Dr Paul Roumeliotis of the EOHU Bed Bugs Part two - June 23 2010 - October 2nd, 2011
- davybaby vs. Bed Bugs Part 1 - October 1st, 2011
- Dr. Paul of the EOHU on Bed Bugs - June 23 2011 - September 28th, 2011
- BEDBUGS - BED BUGS - Cimex lectularius - September 27th, 2011