Sarah Blackley is six months pregnant, her baby due in June, and she's homeless in Barrie.
Blackley, 25, has food and shelter thanks to the good graces of Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre.
But other Ontario women in her predicament aren't so fortunate, and she wants to know why.
I know it seems I'm complaining, but this is something that needs to be heard, Blackley said Sunday afternoon, as sunshine poured through her bedroom window in RVH's birthing unit. I'm not the only one.
Blackley is an Etobicoke resident, a welder by trade, and has lived in Barrie for most of the last three years.
She went back to live at her childhood home in early January, but it didn't work out. Her mother was rarely home, taking care of her grandfather, the house had a bad tenant and it was unsanitary.
Blackley tried women's shelters in Etobicoke, Markham and the Barrie-area, but was told all were full.
So she returned to Barrie to stay with Justin Maitland, the father of her child, who lives at a city rooming house.
But she said there were drugs there, and it was riddled with bedbugs and fleas. She stayed there for five days, then the landlord didn't give her any choice.
He said I had to be out by the Wednesday past (March 1) or Justin would also be thrown out and homeless, she said.
Barrie's Out of the Cold program offered shelter, at St. Mary's Church for the night.
Unfortunately laying on the floor, on a thin mat, plus the added stress was no good and I woke up with severe pains in the morning, Blackly said. They got me a taxi to here.
RVH has indicated to me that legally, and thankfully, they cannot let me out again on the street, because I have an unborn child, she said. I do have nowhere to go and they have been absolutely fantastic in taking care of me and my little one. I am on bed rest, which I have definitely needed. I'm incredibly, incredibly thankful.
Maitland, 29, works part-time at Southmedic in Barrie, which manufactures medical devices. He's saving his money, applying for rental housing.
You know what position she's in and I can't have that happen, Maitland said. So I need to do what I can to get her in a house.
I really don't know what would happen if not for RVH.
And there's an added stress. Blackley is afraid of losing her child, once born, if she doesn't have a home.
I won't get to hold him. The moment he's born, he will be taken away from me, she said, referring to child authorities. Children are taken away from their mothers immediately if they do not have housing.
I'm quite desperate about getting my funds going through and trying to find a home.
Blackley said she expected to hear from Ontario Works Monday about receiving assistance, and will be speaking to RVH social workers for a game plan Tuesday.
So why go public with her situation?
Because I am not the only one. I know I'm not the only one, Blackley said. Statistics show that 50% of woman that are on the street have been pregnant or will become pregnant within the first six to eight months of living on the street. And will receive no care.
About 30% of them will give birth on the street, without any assistance of midwives.
She said there's very little affordable housing, and being pregnant just complicates matters.
So you're expected to find a bedroom, and especially being pregnant, someone isn't going to rent you a room being pregnant, and they will expect you to be out by the time that you've had the baby, Blackley said. So you are then homeless again.
It is a continual circle, throughout southern Ontario.
I guess I have to be the voice, because I can't just see myself doing this.
It's an absolute shame. There needs to be some sort of protocol, he said. She didn't make this choice, to be homeless.
Go here to see the original:
News Local - The Barrie Examiner
- There are bugs worse than the 'murder hornet': Canada's native dangerous pests - Yahoo Sports - May 12th, 2020
- Privatization, the pre-existing condition killing seniors in long-term care - Ricochet Media - April 15th, 2020
- Here are Canadas Top 10 bed bug infested cities ... - April 7th, 2020
- Bedbugs: what are they? - Canada.ca - February 9th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Feb. 6 - London Free Press (Blogs) - February 9th, 2020
- Oshawa is the eighth-worst place in Canada for bed bugs, Whitby makes top 25: Orkin - durhamradionews.com - January 14th, 2020
- Sudbury ninth on national bedbugs list - The Sudbury Star - January 10th, 2020
- Home Insecticides Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2025 - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Decade in review: 50 things that defined Toronto in the 2010s - NOW Magazine - December 8th, 2019
- Toronto tenants give the citys RentSafeTO program failing grade - CityNews - November 14th, 2019
- Bedbug infestations: 4 takeaways from an expert - CBC.ca - October 31st, 2019
- Bed Bugs - Ottawa Public Health - June 3rd, 2019
- Full Encasement Bed Bug Barriers by HealthGuard - April 14th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Toronto Heat Treatment, Exterminator and ... - March 30th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Exterminators Toronto ON, Bed Bug Heat Treatment ... - July 30th, 2018
- Bed Bugs City of Toronto - July 28th, 2018
- Bed bugs in Ontario: A priority for public health? - July 9th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Info Pest Control - May 11th, 2018
- Bed Bug Heat Treatments | Kill Bed Bugs | Terminix Canada - March 19th, 2018
- Tenant Rights: Bed Bugs - November 14th, 2017
- Bed Bugs in the Workplace | City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - September 29th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - September 29th, 2017
- Bed Bug Strategy - CityHousing Hamilton - September 27th, 2017
- Bed bugs in Hamilton, Ontario: lessons for landlords and ... - September 27th, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Motel for the homeless - The Barrie Examiner - August 11th, 2017
- Sudbury lands 8th on list of bed bug-ridden cities - CBC.ca - August 4th, 2017
- Toronto ranked number 1 city in Canada for bed bugs - CityNews - August 2nd, 2017
- Stories to start your day - Sudbury.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Tenant Rights: Bed Bugs - Settlement.Org - June 5th, 2017
- Ottawa ACORN to call for landlord licensing - MetroNews Canada - March 10th, 2017
- 'Nightmare' tenants, high costs make rental landscape a challenge for landlords, too - CBC.ca - March 2nd, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Toronto - Affordable Bed Bug Heat ... - February 19th, 2017
- Wellington North council supports Bluewater's resolution to keep status quo on provincial act - southwesternontario.ca - February 15th, 2017
- Pest Control in Toronto | Pesticon Pest Control - January 8th, 2017
- Bed Bugs - PEST CONTROL CANADA - July 22nd, 2016
- Ontario - Hamilton Bed Bugs Extermination - July 22nd, 2016
- Toronto Bed Bug Exterminator - Bed Bug Authority Canada ... - July 22nd, 2016
- GreenTech Mobile Bed Bug Heat Treatment - Toronto and ... - February 6th, 2015
- Bed Bugs Middlesex-London Health Unit - January 21st, 2015
- Activists demand more shelter beds after man dies on street - January 7th, 2015
- Ontario Bed Bugs Heat Solution | - December 1st, 2014
- Holiday Inn Burlington Ontario Bed Bugs Compare All Hotel ... - November 28th, 2014
- New councillor wants to look at repealing DDT ban to fight ... - November 20th, 2014
- New councillor calls for repeal of DDT ban to fight bed bugs - November 19th, 2014
- GreenTech Bed Bug Heat Treatment Exterminators Toronto Bed ... - June 2nd, 2014
- Toronto Bed Bug Removal | Get Rid of Bed Bugs | Magical ... - June 2nd, 2014
- Rapid bedbugs control in London ontario - April 2nd, 2014
- How to Spot and Control Bed Bugs - February 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Toronto | Bed Bug Deteciton Dogs | Canine Bed Bug Tracker - January 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Toronto | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Tenant Rights – Download ‘ BEDBUGSINFO.ca - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Toronto | One Day Bed Bug Heat Treatment - December 18th, 2013
- Bed bugs | City of Ottawa - December 12th, 2013
- Bed Bug Toronto Heat Treatment | Bed Bugs Removal - December 9th, 2013
- Health Department - Bed Bugs - Mansfield/Ontario/Richland ... - December 7th, 2013
- Bed Bugs and Occupational Health – Download ‘ BEDBUGSINFO.ca - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Toronto One Day Elimination Of Ontario Heat Treatment - December 6th, 2013
- Hamilton Bed Bugs Extermination Services Hamilton, Ontario - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Exterminator Toronto Area | Heat-N-Go Bed Bug ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Toronto Bed Bugs Detection Services | Bed Bug Dogs | Bed Bug ... - November 19th, 2013
- Bed Bug Exterminators London Ontario - Bed bug heat treatment ... - November 19th, 2013
- Mississauga Pest Control Bed Bug Removal Toronto Bed Bugs Elimination - November 3rd, 2013
- Toronto Bed Bugs Detection Services | Bed Bug Dogs | Bed Bug Tracker - November 3rd, 2013
- Burlington Bed Bugs Extermination / Removal - Oakville, Milton ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Exterminators London Ontario - Bed bug heat treatment London - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs and Beyond - Bed Bug Toronto Heat Treatment One Day ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Zinck takes deadly aim at pesky bed bugs with organic spray product - October 14th, 2012
- HOWE ROOM: Zinck takes deadly aim at pesky bed bugs - October 14th, 2012
- It’s enough to keep you awake all night - June 16th, 2012
- Magical Pest Control ensures that children attending summer camp in Toronto and surrounding areas are safe from bed ... - May 30th, 2012
- YOUR HEALTH: ...Don’t let the bed bugs bite. - May 4th, 2012
- mar 28 2012 never rent from ackman winnipeg manitoba canada - Video - March 29th, 2012
- Resorts of Ontario Announces Program for 2012 Spring Conference & Trade Show - March 6th, 2012
- Inland Empire Rat Control, 909-824-4026, pest control riverside, Corona pest control - Video - January 7th, 2012
- When Bedbugs Attack! - Video - December 14th, 2011
- Bed Bug Exterminator Corona, 714-653-1141 Bed bug Inspection corona 714 - Video - December 9th, 2011
- bed bug bedbug powder super kill II (2) silica gel cat litter diatomaceous earth - Video - December 7th, 2011
- Bed Bug Exterminator Riverside, Bed bug Inspection Riverside 714-653-1141 - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Spotting Bed Bugs - Video - November 8th, 2011