Like almost everything that Samoa has to offer, things come in bulk. (Naturally occurring items) There are tons of coconuts, tons of rocks, tons of rain, tons of fish, tons of plants, tons of people, not tons of money but that isnt natural, and of course tons of bugs. Many if not all of the bugs are grown the same way Samoans like music Big and Loud!
One of my favorite creepy crawlers isnt a bug at all. They are called pili if green and moo if black. You might know them better as a gecko and skink. They patrol the lights and mosquito nets keeping you safe from the few hundred bugs they eat. Its too bad that there are a few thousand flying around at any given time. Here is a small pili that was on our mosquito net the other night.
Those guys get about as long as your hand. They are totally harmless and fun to have around. The moo are also harmless but they get big. We saw 2 inside the other day. Both were about the size of my elbow to my wrist.
Next are the flies. They only transmit bacteria, but they are here in a force unseen back home except for in garbage bags that have been left outside for too long.
Ants are the same, although they are small. Any small bit of food that is left out turns into a protein filled snack within minutes. Anty food isnt that bad, it is the drinks you have to watch out for. There is nothing quite like a swimming swig of coke. YUM!
We also have every kind of bug that irritates people back home. We are now cockroach champions.
Some of the nastier variations that are here come in small and large packages.
Bees. OMG keep clear. Though I have not been stung and I have not seen anyone else stung they are huge. Simply put, this is not a bee that I want to get on the wrong side of. Wasps are nothing in comparison. However, bees make honey, so keep on doing what you do bees.
Millipedes. They are the little wormy bugs that curl into a spiral when you touch them. However, dont kill one of these with your hand or step on them. Or in Karens case take a nap on one. They leave a nice burn that you wont soon forget. Aside from that, they are harmless.
Spiders here are of mythical size. We found a baby one in our bathroom.
The emphasis here is on BABY spider. They get to the size of that roll of toilet paper.
Apparently, they dont bite. I keep reminding people that they have to eat somehow.
Next in line comes the centipede. Here is some background info on the centipede. We have bug killer spray. You spray, it dies, within a minute or two. One evening Mauigoa and Sefulu gave us a ride to our house. They wanted to come in and see the place. When we came in, we spotted a centipede. I reached for the bug killer, threw it to Mauigoa and he instantly crushed the hell out of it and beat it with the can until it wasnt moving. Then he sprayed it. Then we all got as far away as possible as he swept it out of the house keeping as much distance as possible.
Ok, the reason. Centipedes bite, and they bite hard. They have an especially lovely venom. It makes you swell up around the bite site. If they bite your foot, you cant walk for a minimum of 2 days. Your foot will be the size of an American football. Besides the swelling, it hurts. Additional symptoms may also include headache, dizziness, vomiting, painful swelling of the lymph glands and local muscle spasms. My favorite part of all of this is the treatment. Take an antihistamine as soon as possible. Tylenol or ibuprofen may help with the pain; applying ice may also help. The pain is intense and will not be greatly relieved even with these measures. Local remedies such as applying hot water are largely ineffective and time should not be wasted trying them.
This bad boy is of a healthy size, but we have seen plenty much bigger than him. This picture was taken in our bedroom.
Thats all for now. Sleep well, and dont let the bed bugs bite.
See the rest here:
BUGS! | Karen and Dave in Samoa
- American Samoa, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation ... - November 14th, 2018
- G. K. Butterfield - Wikipedia - September 30th, 2018
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs at AMC Empire 25 - Change.org - February 26th, 2018
- Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando, Florida, Bed Bug Report ... - November 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Control in Indiana | Yes Pest Pros, Inc. - August 26th, 2017
- Starboard Village #321 - Gulf Front - 4 Bed... - VRBO - August 12th, 2017
- itching all over - is it bed bugs? - Lonely Planet - July 12th, 2017
- Burr Pest Control Services: Rockford, Freeport, IL ... - June 18th, 2017
- SEARCH / REPORT BED BUGS - registry.bedbugs.net - January 25th, 2017
- 4 Wicked Bugs: Mosquitoes, Chigger Mites and More ... - December 10th, 2016
- BedBugs.NET -- The Web's #1 Source for Bed Bug treatments ... - December 8th, 2016
- bed bug trap | eBay - December 8th, 2016
- Welcome to the Global Bed Bug Registry | Bed Bugs Forum - June 6th, 2016
- How Do I Know If I Have Bed Bugs? - BEDBUGS.NET | The best ... - June 5th, 2016
- Luxury White Knit Bed Bug Mattress Encasement Flame ... - May 30th, 2016
- petition: BUG INFESTATION AT ARNOLD MANOR - May 28th, 2016
- Bed Bug Products - The Web's #1 Source for Bed Bug ... - May 16th, 2016
- Can Bed Bugs Travel With Me? - BEDBUGS.NET | The best ... - April 2nd, 2016
- Bed Bug Mattress Cleaning | Bed Bug Elimination | Bed Bug ... - March 7th, 2016
- Are Bed Bugs Visible? - Are Bed Bugs Visible - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs | Legal Advice - LawGuru.com - March 7th, 2016
- What Is Bed Bugs Weakness? Colloids For Life Blog - March 7th, 2016
- Do Bed Bug Bites Hurt? - BEDBUGS.NET | The best source for ... - March 7th, 2016
- How Big are Bed Bugs? - BEDBUGS.NET | The best source for ... - March 7th, 2016
- Census Reveals Just How Many Bugs Share the American Home ... - March 7th, 2016
- d7 property managment - BED BUGS AND MICE/RATS, Review ... - October 15th, 2015
- How to deal with bedbugs - Lonely Planet - October 14th, 2015
- petition: Bed Bugs not covered under VA Workman Co - October 10th, 2015
- Bed Bugs - American Camping Association - September 20th, 2015
- JAMA Network | JAMA | Bed Bugs - September 20th, 2015
- SEARCH + REPORT Bed Bug Infestations around the World ... - September 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pictures | BEDBUGS.NET | The best source for all ... - February 6th, 2015
- Bed Bug Traps | BEDBUGS.NET | The best source for all ... - January 26th, 2015
- Welcome to the Global Bed Bug Registry - January 21st, 2015
- Bed Bug 911 Queen 9 in. Depth Zippered Mattress Cover ... - December 1st, 2014
- How Do I Know If I Have Bed Bugs? | bedbugs - November 28th, 2014
- CirKil RTU Bed bug Natural Insecticide - November 19th, 2014
- Bed Bug Solutions in Pago Pago, American Samoa Let's put ... - November 9th, 2014
- Bed Bug Solutions in American Samoa Let's put the hurt on ... - October 31st, 2014
- World, Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug Infestation ... - October 13th, 2014
- PREVENTING A BED BUG INFESTATION | Healthyback.com - May 8th, 2014
- Pest Control Exterminator - National Bed Bug Registry ... - April 15th, 2014
- Tracing Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Where Do They Come From? - December 23rd, 2013
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminator > AMERICAN SAMOA BED BUG ... - November 27th, 2013
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminator > KANSAS BED BUG EXTERMINATOR - November 12th, 2013
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminator > ILLINOIS BED BUG EXTERMINATOR - November 9th, 2013
- Bed Bug Where Do They Come From? - Kill Bed Bugs - November 8th, 2013
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminator - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Alerts - November 3rd, 2013