NEW YORK A fear of bugs, insects, or arachnids is among the most common of phobias. The vast majority of spiders, ants, beetles, and other creepy crawlers are harmless, but that doesnt stop millions of people from fearing these tiny creatures. Stereotypically, most assume that women are more likely to freak out over a bug sighting than a man, but a new survey of 2,000 Americans is challenging that belief.
Researchers found that while 22% of female respondents said they are very scared of bugs, 32% of male participants shared the same fearful sentiment.
The research, commissioned by Zevo, surveyed participants on their overall bug knowledge as well. Interestingly, six in 10 respondents said they are confident in their bug-identification abilities. However when participants insect knowledge was actually tested, the results told a different tale. Only 40% knew what a bed bug looked like, and 51% couldnt even identify a fruit fly.
Meanwhile, 62% were indeed able to identify a roly poly and 33% could tell the difference between a wasp and bumblebee (24% said a wasp was a bumblebee).
Going back to gender differences, 59% of male participants and 49% of females consider themselves very knowledgeable when it comes to bugs. When those beliefs were put to the test, more men (53%) were indeed able to correctly name entomology as the study of insects than women (43%). Women, though, (43%) were more adept at spotting carpenter ants than men (39%). Male respondents (53%) were better equipped to spot ticks than female respondents (43%), but more women knew that cockroaches can lay over 50 eggs in one sitting.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER & GET THE LATEST STUDIES FROM STUDYFINDS.ORG BY EMAIL!
Some insect pests can be highly prolific under favorable conditions. As an example, German cockroaches lay ootheca that can contain up to 60 eggs, says Dr. Josh Benoit, an entomologist at the University of Cincinnati, in a statement. These eggs can then develop into adults within about 90-110 days. The high reproduction can allow populations to grow quickly and become a substantial nuisance.
If one thing is clear from the survey, its that many Americans overestimate their bug intellect. Incredibly, only 35% of all respondents knew that honeybees and bumblebees are different insects. Ladybugs come in a variety of colors, but 49% of respondents wrongly said they are always red and black. Another 28% incorrectly thought that a wasp immediately dies after using its stinger.
Still, 55% did know that cockroaches can freeze and unfreeze during winter, and 60% are aware that bugs have lived on planet Earth since before the dinosaurs.
Among all respondents, 64% said they are scared of bugs. When asked whats so scary about these little creatures, 56% cited bug bites, 45% said they hate momentarily seeing a bug in their home and then losing track of it, and 44% are petrified that bugs will invade their bed as they sleep.
Few people realize that the indoor biome is a specific habitat that only certain insects can tolerate. This indoor environment usually has a different temperature and relative humidity compared to outside, Benoit explains. Pests that live in this area have specific adaptations to survive and proliferate in this specific environment, for example, cockroaches can tolerate extended periods without food and water since these resources might not be readily available.
So, how do most respondents deal with pests in their home? A significant 55% turn to bug spray, 44% use mosquito-repellent bracelets, and 41% always have a fly swatter nearby. Despite the seemingly heavy use of bug spray, 56% of all participants said they often worry about chemicals in the spray. Also, 30% have tried out home remedies in their pursuit of a bug-free home.
The survey was conducted by OnePoll.
Like studies? Follow us on Facebook!
Here is the original post:
Survey Reveals Men More Likely Than Women To Be Very Scared Of Bugs - Study Finds
- Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms and Treatments - Healthline - December 22nd, 2021
- 9 Natural Bed Bug Repellent Remedies | Terminix - October 27th, 2021
- How Long do Bed Bug Bites Last, Take to Appear, Go Away ... - October 27th, 2021
- 5 Things Hospitality Industry Needs to Know About the Bed Bug Threat - August 22nd, 2021
- Our Top 10 Methods to Handling those Annoying Pests in Your Home | Happy Healthy Food & Play It Again Sports - EndZoneScore - November 29th, 2020
- How to identify and treat bed bug bites - Insider - INSIDER - June 30th, 2020
- How to get rid of bed bugs fast and 3 signs you have an infestation - Insider - INSIDER - June 27th, 2020
- A Coast-to-Coast Tour Lands One Entomologist on the Home Team - Entomology Today - March 12th, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - March 2nd, 2020
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019
- What Causes Itching? - Scientific Reasons Behind Why We Itch - Prevention.com - October 12th, 2019
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies - March 19th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Bug Bites that Blister: Best Remedies for Mosquito, Spider ... - June 9th, 2017
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014
- Cobrazol Research Study Scientific Poster Wins Award at Scripps 11th Annual Natural Supplements Conference - February 11th, 2014
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal: JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs (Green) - Video - November 1st, 2011
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011
- BEDBUGs - October 8th, 2011
- About Bed Bugs - October 5th, 2011
- Disposophobia at Extreme forces Evictions - October 5th, 2011
- The Bed Bug Patch (BBTV #55) - September 29th, 2011