Are you worried about bug bites that blister? The response to a bite from insects is variable and depends on a variety of factors. Most insectbites result in pain, swelling, redness, and itching to the affected area. But in some cases, people have severe reactions to mosquito bites, bed bug bites or spider bites.
In this post well discussthe types of bites that may cause blisters, and how to treat them with natural remedies. Well teach you how to use effective remedies that youre probably not very familiar with such as:Calendula,Emu oilandPlantain.
Not everyone reacts to bug bites in the same manner. Some people may develop blisters after being bitten by bed bugs for example, while others wont.
Here are the most frequenttypes of bites that may cause blisters:
If you are particularly sensitive to mosquitobites, you may develop bullae (fluid-filled blisters) or weals (circular, fluid-filled areas surrounding the bite). Many of the mosquito saliva proteins can cause reactions such as blisters.They can also causemore serious immune reactions.
Severe allergic reactions are not common, but they may result in blistering rashes, bruises, or large areas of swelling at the bite sites.People who experience extremely large areas of swelling after a mosquito bite have been dubbed as having Skeeter Syndrome.
Bed bug bites often look like small, flat or raised areas that may become inflamed, itchy, red or blistered.
They are quite similar to mosquito bites a slightly swollen and red area that may itch and be irritating. The bites sometimes appear in a straight line. Other symptoms of bed bug bites include insomnia, anxiety, and skin problems that arise from profuse scratching of the bites.
Bed bug bites dont necessarily blister, but they do in some cases.Bed bug blistersmay take a few days to appear after being bitten.
Be aware that bed bugs are notoriously difficult to eliminate once theyve established. If youre looking for bed bug treatments, diatomaceous earth is a cheap and non-toxic alternative to pesticides. I explain why its a very effective solutionin this post.
Also consider buying a bed bug killer spray, such asEcoRaider. I recommend a few other effective & natural sprays here.
Spider bites typically form a blister on top of the bite within 1-2 days.
There are lots of different types of spiders. But if a blister form at the bite site, it may be a brown recluse spider bite.This type of spiders is usually found in the south-central part of the United States. Brown recluse spiderslive in dry, hot and abandoned areas.
The bite may not appear to be serious immediately, but may become severe after some time. Sometimes, the swelling may form a blister.
Here are the other symptoms you may experience after being bitten by a brown recluse spider:
Brown recluse spider bitesmay take months to heal.If you suspect this bite, see your doctor.Also, get medical help if you are not sure whether the bite was from a poisonous spider.
TIP FOR SPIDER BITES THAT BLISTER: If you have a spider bite, consider applyingsome activated charcoal on the bite site. According to top10homeremedies.com, It helps draw out toxic substances from the body and reduce inflammation from a spider bite.Mix someActivated Charcoal powderwithwater, and apply the paste on the affected area to neutralize the toxin.
Most bites get usually better on their own, but it can sometimes take a couple of weeks or months.So its always a good idea to see a doctor for proper treatment when an insect bite blisters.
Here is what can be done to accelerate healing:
1. Use an adhesive bandage to protect the blistered area and prevent infection.
2. Dont scratch the bite because this can make the bite more itchy and swollen. The more you scratch the worse the itch! Learn why scratching it makes the itch and symptoms last longer. If you scratch your bite, youll also increase the chance of a secondary infection.
3. Use cool damp compresses to relieve the itching.The cold temperature from ice can help numb the nerve endings, thus relieving the itching sensation caused by bug bites. It will also help calm the swelling.
4. Apply a soothing balmto relieve symptoms and speed up healing. Here are recommended and effective natural products:
Natural treatments are often used and they are usually quite effective to treat insect bites that blister.
This herbis a helpful herbal remedy in the treatment of mosquito bites and other insect bites.
Calendula cream can relieve irritation and itching while also providing antiseptic benefits.
A blister can be treated by dabbing some calendula ointment on it. This will helpthe skin healfaster. To learn more about calendula, check out this post:The Amazing Benefits of Calendula for Insect Bites, Cuts & Other Skin Irritations
How to use calendula for insect bites? Cleanse the area with mild soap, rinse and dry. Apply a thin layer of Calendula gel onto the insect bite3 times a day or as needed.BOIRON makes a great non-sticky, non-greasy first aid Calendula gel. Its cooling and refreshing. You can buy it here.
Apple cider vinegar is a popular remedy for bug bites. It helps relieve the itching and burning caused by bug bites.
Choose an unpasteurized & organic apple cider vinegar.You want to keep the sediment (the mother) that contains healthy vitamins, minerals and enzymes. I usually buyBraggs raw apple cider vinegar.
How to use it for insect bites? Dab apple cider vinegar on a cottontail and apply it on your bites. You may want to dilute apple cider vinegar with water if you have sensitive skin.
Have you ever heard of emu oil?
Emu oil is extracted from the fat of the emu bird.Australian Aborigines knew the benefits of emu oil and used it to treat lots of different health issues.
Emu oilcan relieve the itch and reduce the swelling. It also enhances the healing process and reduces scarring.
How to use emu oil? Theres a popular anti-itch and soothing stick, called ON THE GO STICK. Itcontains emu oil (no parabens, fragrance, chemicals, or gluten) and seems to be really effective for bug bites that blister. To learn more about the health benefits of emu oil,read this article!
Witch hazel is a liquid astringentproduced from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch-hazel shrub (Hamamelis virginiana).
Mostly used as a facial cleanser, it can also help calm itching caused by bug bites because it contains tannins that have a mild anesthetic effect.
It has been shown to be useful in the treatment of various skin problems because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use witch hazel? Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and place it on the affected area for10 minutes. I stronglyrecommendThayers Witch Hazel, especially the one with soothing rose petal water. This product also contains certified organic aloe vera and isfree of alcohol, parabens and propylene glycol.
Aloe vera is a popular remedy to soothe skin, especially when its sunburned and blistered. In fact, it can alsohelp treat bug bites that blister.
Its active compounds and amino acids help ease itching and burning caused by insect bites. It also aids healing the skin.
How to use aloe vera to heal blisters? Apply aloe vera gel on your bitesa few times a day for a couple of days.Its best to use fresh aloe vera, but you can also buy it. If youre looking for a high-quality aloe vera gel, Amara Organics makes a great one. The thick gel-like Aloe you usually find in stores is often loaded with chemicals; this one is not! You can buy it on Amazonhere.
Plantain may be used externally to treat bug bites that blister.Native Americans used plantain leaves to relieve the pain of insect bites and bee stings. It helps stop the itching of allergic rashes and promote healing.
How can you use plantain for bug bites? For relief from an insect bite, simply shred (or chew) a plantainleaf and hold it on the bite for a few minutes. A plantain ointmentcan also rapidly relieves itching and swelling.
Here are the best natural ways to stop mosquito bites from itching
Essential oilscan help soothe bug bites and accelerate the healing process.
Lavender and tea tree essential oils are the most commonly used oils to treat bug bites that blister. Eucalyptus, thyme, rosemary are also known to alleviate symptoms of bug bites.
Thisessential oil works really well for bites, especially severe mosquito bites.
Lavender is anti-inflammatory, calming, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericide, analgesic, cicatrisant, fungicide, nervine, relaxing and sedative. These properties make it perfectfor treating stings and bug bites that blister.
Tea tree oil comes from tea trees in Australia. This oil has been used by aborigines for hundreds of years for its natural healing qualities.
Tea tree oil kills bacteria, fungi, and viruses. It effectively combats infections that are resistant to antibiotics. Other active components alleviate inflammation.Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial components help withtissue regeneration.
Using tea tree oil for insect bites that blister will also reduce the risk of infection.
Choose100% pure tea tree essential oil. I recommend these two brands:Art Naturalsor Pure Body Naturals. The tea tree oil from Pure Body Naturals contains45% terpenin-4-ol, which is the major component responsible for antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
A few drops diluted in a carrier oil can be applied directly onto the bite.
Use coconut oil as a carrier oil. Coconut oil is another antibacterial oil that is very soothing for itchy bites. It helps stop the itching and the inflammation.
If you dont have coconut oil, tea tree oil or lavender essential oilmay be used neat on bites. However itsbetter to dilute it especially if you have sensitive skin. In you have any doubts, consult an aromatherapist or another qualified practitioner.
Caution Care should be taken when applying essential oils. Always perform a skin patch test before use and be aware that essential oilsmay cause undesired health side effects if not used properly.Read this page about the best essential oils for skin to learn a bit more about the essential oils and how to use them!
Its best not to pop your blistersto speed up the healing process. I explain here why you shouldnt pop them.
According to WebMD, you shouldnt puncture a blister unless its large, painful, or will cause further irritation if left alone. The fluid-filled sac is a protective cover to prevent infection.
Blisters do not often cause pain unless they rupture, exposing the new skin underneath.
How Long Does it Take for a Blister to Heal?Learn about blister duration & remedies to speed up healing.
Enjoying what you're reading? Subscribe to the newsletter and get our latest publications delivered to your inbox:
Natural treatments can be quite effective at treating insect bites that blister. However, if you develop a severe reaction to a mosquito bite, a spider bite or any other bug bite, consult a doctor as soon as possible to avoid serious health complications.
In rare situations, some people experience anaphylaxis after being bitten by a bug. Some people can evenexperience whole bodyurticariaand angioedema (hives and swelling), or worsening of asthma symptoms after being bitten.
Some complications such as secondary bacterial infections are also sometimes associated with bug bites.If you have many bites or a bite looks infected, you should see a dermatologist.
Because prevention is better than cure, avoidbites by using an effective bug repellent. Use lemon eucalyptus oil as a mosquito repellent. Its the best mosquito natural repellent and it may be more effective than DEET(read this post). For ticks,consider using rose geranium oilto avoid being bitten by ticks!
Do you havebug bites that blister? Please leave a comment below to share your experience! You can also read more articles related to insect bites here.
Also watchthe video below to learn what you should do if insect bitesget itchy:
Jul 27, 2011Josphine Beck, Certified Holistic Nutritionist
Did you find this content useful? Would it help someone you know?
Shehaspsoriasisand she decided to share on Optiderma.com what she's learned on her path to healing!
Hopefullyher experience and knowledge can help educate others on natural remedies and nutrition.She strongly believesthat our body's health is directly related to what we put into it!
Interested in Josephine'sstory?Read this!
Sources for this article include:
The information provided on Optiderma.com is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of an appropriately qualified practitioner.
If you are allergic to the foods, herbs, essential oils, any remedies listed here, you must of course avoid them. For example, consuming food that youre sensitive to will only cause more (not reduce!) inflammation.
Please consult a practitioner (such as Naturopath, Homeopath, Doctor of Chinese Medicine, Dermatologist, ...) to follow the most appropriate treatment to heal your skin. All legal mentions
Optiderma.com uses Google AdSense and affiliate link programs to remunerate its contributors. Read more
Read more here:
Bug Bites that Blister: Best Remedies for Mosquito, Spider ...
- 18 Natural Home Remedies For Bed Bugs Bites - July 8th, 2022
- 6 Symptoms / Signs Of A Bed Bug Infestation - News Anyway - May 24th, 2022
- Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms and Treatments - Healthline - December 22nd, 2021
- 9 Natural Bed Bug Repellent Remedies | Terminix - October 27th, 2021
- How Long do Bed Bug Bites Last, Take to Appear, Go Away ... - October 27th, 2021
- 5 Things Hospitality Industry Needs to Know About the Bed Bug Threat - August 22nd, 2021
- Our Top 10 Methods to Handling those Annoying Pests in Your Home | Happy Healthy Food & Play It Again Sports - EndZoneScore - November 29th, 2020
- How to identify and treat bed bug bites - Insider - INSIDER - June 30th, 2020
- How to get rid of bed bugs fast and 3 signs you have an infestation - Insider - INSIDER - June 27th, 2020
- A Coast-to-Coast Tour Lands One Entomologist on the Home Team - Entomology Today - March 12th, 2020
- Survey Reveals Men More Likely Than Women To Be Very Scared Of Bugs - Study Finds - March 2nd, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - March 2nd, 2020
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019
- What Causes Itching? - Scientific Reasons Behind Why We Itch - Prevention.com - October 12th, 2019
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies - March 19th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014
- Cobrazol Research Study Scientific Poster Wins Award at Scripps 11th Annual Natural Supplements Conference - February 11th, 2014
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal: JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs (Green) - Video - November 1st, 2011
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011
- BEDBUGs - October 8th, 2011
- About Bed Bugs - October 5th, 2011