Hamilton Allen, Ph.D., BCE, Florida regional technical director for HomeTeam Pest Defense, says he sees urban pest management as a social science, requiring both entomological knowledge and emotional intelligence for communicating with clients with clarity and empathy.
By James M. Wilson, Ph.D.
Editors Note: This is the next post in the Standout ECPs series contributed by the Entomological Society of Americas Early Career Professionals (ECP) Committee, highlighting outstanding ECPs that are doing great work in the profession. (An ECP is defined as anyone within the first five years of obtaining their terminal degree in their field.)Learn more about the work ECPs are doing within ESA, andread past posts in the Standout ECPs series.
Hamilton Allen, Ph.D., BCE, is the Florida regional technical director for HomeTeam Pest Defense in Tampa-St. Petersburg, Florida. Before working with HomeTeam, Allen served as technical director for Senske Services located in Kennewick, Washington. Allen is originally from Johnston, South Carolina, and graduated from Clemson University with his doctoral degree in entomology in 2017. As a graduate student member of ESA, Allen participated on Virginia Techs and Clemsons Linnaean Games teams and served as the 2014 Southeastern Branch Linnaean Games Student Chair.
Hamilton Allen, Ph.D., BCE
Wilson: Why did you become an entomologist, and what drew you to this field?
Allen: Similar to many entomologists, my affinity for insects surfaced during childhood. I was fascinated with any critter within eyesight; however, ants, particularly fire ants, were my first research interest. My uncles yard was littered with fire ant mounds, which prevented my cousins and me from having a safe play area. So, my uncle made it his goal to get rid of the ants. He tried all of the Southern folk remedies including grits, boiling water, dumping ants from nearby mounds onto one another, and setting the mounds on fire.
The last technique was my favorite because he enlisted me to be his little fire chief, and my job was to ventilate the mounds by stirring them with a shovel. After doing this the mounds would decrease in size yet multiply in number. Throughout high school and college, I continued to think about the resilient fire ants. One day, I took a trip to the library to read about fire ants, and I stumbled onto a few research papers by Dr. Walter Tschinkel and Dr. Sanford Porter detailing the structural characteristics of fire ant nests and the ants responses to disturbance. Finally, I had the answers that I had been looking for, and during those library moments I decided to become an entomologist.
Out of the various research projects you have completed in the pursuit of your degrees, what has been the most interesting part of it to you so far?
The most prominent aspect of research for me is having the opportunity to observe organisms in the environment and attempting to provide reasoning for behavior. Out of all the research projects, my masters thesis was my favorite because I had the opportunity to pursue my dream: I worked on fire ant management in Virginia. In 2006, fire ants were public enemy number one for Virginias Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services due to a recent death related due to fire ant stings and I had the privilege of being the first person to study fire ants within the state.
In his work in urban pest management, Hamilton Allen, Ph.D., BCE, comes face to face with entomological wonders such as this nest of the aerial yellowjacket (Dolichovespula arenaria) that he encountered in Kennewick, Washington.
Your career seems to be focused on managing the interactions between pest insects and people. What kind of skills have helped you to be so successful in this area?
Before entering the pest management industry, I believed that pest knowledge would be the skill most useful to my position as technical director. However, in recent years my skills have changed to include communication and empathy.
Empathy might be the most important aspect. Each day, I have the opportunity to assist a family or business with an issue that is unfamiliar to them. Bed bugs and cockroaches are two pests that can cause mental anguish and depression. Ive learned how to share information in a way that is useful to consumers that explains proper management processes using emotional intelligence techniques to address their concerns.
I tend to think of urban pest management as a social science, because, in addition to having pest knowledge, we must employ a degree of emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence allows us to relate to customer issues and to quell our customers fears so that they can sleep better at night.
Your academic career has taken you to two different land grant institutions. How has working under the missions of those institutions helped prepare you for your career?
Go Hokies and Tigers! I was fortunate enough to attend land grant institutions that are known for excellence and innovation in science and engineering. I also learned that service was important from Virginia Techs motto, Ut Prosim, which translates into That I May Serve, and one of Clemson Universitys missions, which is to mold those within her reach to establish a legacy of service.
Both of my graduate advisors served as examples for how scholars can engage in service through extension work and servant leadership. My participation in service ranged from teaching entomology to master gardeners to supplying information to pest management professionals.
I carry these missions forward today by previously training members of Washington States King County Housing Authority on bed bug management and currently working with undergraduate students in the Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences (MANNRS) organization to promote pursuing a career in the pest management industry.
Finally, what are your hobbies outside of work?
I am a novice bird watcher and plan on adding a few key species to my life list this year, a total college football fan, and footwear enthusiast. If you happen to see me outside of work, Ill probably be wearing a pair of vibrant, Technicolor sneakers.
James M. Wilson, Ph.D., is the Extension apiculturist in the Department of Entomology at Virginia Tech, chair of the Eastern Branch Early Career Professionals Committee 2019-2020, and serves as the Eastern Branch Representative to the ESA Early Career Professionals Committee 2019-2020. Email: email@example.com.
All photos courtesy of Hamilton Allen, Ph.D., BCE.
See the original post:
A Coast-to-Coast Tour Lands One Entomologist on the Home Team - Entomology Today
- Our Top 10 Methods to Handling those Annoying Pests in Your Home | Happy Healthy Food & Play It Again Sports - EndZoneScore - November 29th, 2020
- How to identify and treat bed bug bites - Insider - INSIDER - June 30th, 2020
- How to get rid of bed bugs fast and 3 signs you have an infestation - Insider - INSIDER - June 27th, 2020
- Survey Reveals Men More Likely Than Women To Be Very Scared Of Bugs - Study Finds - March 2nd, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - March 2nd, 2020
- Rospotrebnadzor warned about this new type of threat of bed bugs - The Times Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- RealtimeCampaign.com Asks Does Home Insurance Cover Bed Bugs? Uncovering the Truth behind These Insects and Invasion Solutions - MENAFN.COM - December 13th, 2019
- What Causes Itching? - Scientific Reasons Behind Why We Itch - Prevention.com - October 12th, 2019
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Reader's Digest - May 4th, 2019
- Bedbug Organic Cures Natural Homeopathic - Orkin.com - March 7th, 2019
- What Are the Best Bed Bug Home Remedies and ... - pestkill.org - February 28th, 2019
- Busting Old Wives Tales: DIY Bed Bug Home Remedies ... - January 25th, 2019
- How To Treat Bed Bug Bite Scars And Marks 20 Proven Remedies - April 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites - Rapid Home Remedies - March 19th, 2018
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - FightBugs.com - March 2nd, 2018
- get rid of bed bug sites - Authority Remedies - January 31st, 2018
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Bug Bites that Blister: Best Remedies for Mosquito, Spider ... - June 9th, 2017
- Bed Bug Remedies Heat treatment for Bed bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Myths & Facts - New York City - June 21st, 2016
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Remedies for Bed Bugs - Old Home Remedies Guide - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Remedies - Tallman Scientific - October 5th, 2015
- Herbal Health Care: Bed Bug Repellents - September 25th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pictures, Symptoms and Treatment | Preventing ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Bed Bug Barrier, Screw-In Style, Each - July 2nd, 2015
- Bed Bug Exterminator in NYC | BedBug911 - Get Rid of Bed Bugs - June 19th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bites - Pictures, Treatment & Prevention ... - June 9th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment: Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Home | Bed Bug ... - June 1st, 2015
- 24/7 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Treatment & Inspections - May 31st, 2015
- Natural Bed Bug Remedies - Don't Mess with Mama - March 26th, 2015
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment - Buzzle - December 25th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Treatment | Get Rid of Bed Bugs - PestBusters ... - December 13th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites: Bed Bug Treatment, Bed Bug Bites Symptoms ... - November 16th, 2014
- Specialist Bed Bugs Treatment company operating in London ... - October 27th, 2014
- CDC - Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Bite Treatment | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - August 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bug Extermination Remedies - Earth Clinic - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Do It Yourself Safe Pest Control - May 6th, 2014
- Bed Bug Infestation - WebMD - Better information. Better ... - March 13th, 2014
- How To Kill Bed Bugs | 888-660-4464 This Is How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - Video - February 17th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Infest New Bredfor Bank - February 13th, 2014
- Cobrazol Research Study Scientific Poster Wins Award at Scripps 11th Annual Natural Supplements Conference - February 11th, 2014
- How to Kill Bed Bugs With Home Remedies | eHow - January 11th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment | Freezing Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Heat Treatment - January 1st, 2014
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs: Will Anything Work? - December 31st, 2013
- Bedbugs: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic - December 16th, 2013
- BedBugs.org - The Web's #1 Bed Bug Resource - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bug Repellants and Natural Cures - EarthClinic.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Remedy | eHow - eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More ... - November 27th, 2013
- 6 Tips For The Treatment of Bed Bugs | Treatmentforbedbugs.com - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bug Treatment Steps: - November 24th, 2013
- Bed Bugs: How to Get Rid of Bedbugs – Orkin.com - November 10th, 2013
- Identifying Bed Bug Infestations - Bed Bugs | Pesticides | US EPA - November 10th, 2013
- bed bug news, information, activism, and support — Got bed bugs ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in Hotels, Treatment, Symptoms - MedicineNet - November 3rd, 2013
- Treatment of Bed Bugs In Six Simple Steps - November 3rd, 2013
- OKC Apartment Complex Charges Residents To Exterminate Bed Bugs - October 3rd, 2012
- New research shows bed bugs are not disease spreaders - July 1st, 2012
- Study of the Day: Over-the-Counter Bedbug Remedies Are Worthless - June 18th, 2012
- bed bug control bedbug infestation treatment preparation kill egg bite feeding eat party song - Video - January 24th, 2012
- Bed Bug Dog: A New Application of a Proven Technology - Video - December 26th, 2011
- bed bug bite treatment - Video - December 20th, 2011
- Bed Bug Remedy - Video - December 19th, 2011
- Bed bugs treatment and how to get rid of bed bugs. - Video - December 16th, 2011
- What Does a Bed Bug Bite Look Like? And How Do I Know if I've Been Bitten by One? - Video - December 2nd, 2011
- Bed Bug Detection and Removal: JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs (Green) - Video - November 1st, 2011
- How the Dead Bed Bugs Treatment System Works - Video - October 18th, 2011
- Bed Bug Treatment of Just the Mattress and Bed - Video - October 17th, 2011
- Yungztuh - Listen to your heart (Short) - October 11th, 2011
- How To Stop Bedbugs - October 11th, 2011
- BEDBUGs - October 8th, 2011
- About Bed Bugs - October 5th, 2011
- Disposophobia at Extreme forces Evictions - October 5th, 2011
- The Bed Bug Patch (BBTV #55) - September 29th, 2011
- Bed Bugs Spray - September 27th, 2011
- Biggest Bed Bug Ever! - September 24th, 2011
- BED BUGS THE MOVIE starring jj giveaway - September 23rd, 2011
- kill bed bugs yourself - September 23rd, 2011