Maybe youve been there: its summer. Its pleasant and warm. Youre used to bugs getting into the house from time to time. One night, you find a large, brown bug crawling on the wall. Thinking nothing of it, you grab a tissue and squish it, only to realize that now your room is home to an unpleasant odor. Youve killed a stink bug.
Thinking nothing of it, you grab a tissue and squish it, only to realize that now your room is home to an unpleasant odor. Youve killed a stink bug and, if you didnt know where they earned their name, you do now. There must be better ways to get rid of stink bugs.
Many homeowners consider the Halyomorpha halys, also known as the brown marmorated stink bug or shield bug, as a nuisance because of its obnoxious odor. They enter homes during the summer months and spend winter in the warmth of wall cracks, crawl spaces, and attics.
Come spring, they come out from hiding to go back outside and feed on plants. During this time, you will see them gathering on walls and windows.
There are various ways to get rid of backyard pests, including stink bugs and making your own homemade pigeon repellent.
Stink bugs come from China and the far East, and the 1990s saw their introduction to the United States. They can grow to almost 2 centimeters long. They come in a variety of different colors depending on geographic location and the type of bug, ranging from brown to green.
Descriptions of their appearance depending on who you ask. Some will call them large, oval-shaped insect, while others suggest that their bodies are shield-shaped. They have a total of six long legs that extend from their sides, making them appear deceptively large. They are pretty big, however, tending to be almost as wide as they are long.
Homeowners regularly ask: do stink bugs bite? Its rare that a stink bug will bite a human being and will only do so when they feel threatened. Stink bugs are herbivores and prefer to feed on vegetables, fruits, and host plants like apples, green beans, soybeans, peaches, pears, and cherries.
If you do experience a stink bug bite, youre likely to experience some pain and swelling, but the bites are otherwise harmless. Many people think that the stink they emit is a poison.
However, the unpleasant smell is a result of a liquid they emit to deter predators. And while a stink bug bite is harmless to adult humans, for the most part, it can be dangerous to small children and pets.
While stink bugs are largely harmless, you probably dont want them crawling around in your home. There are a few ways to get rid of stink bugs.
Tips for Preventing Stink Bugs
Exclusion is the best treatment for stink bugs. So, before you ask how to get rid of stink bugs, lets talk about how to fend them off. If they cant get into your house (or dont want to), you dont have to worry about them.
As mentioned, stink bugs enter homes via cracks in the siding and foundation.To fend off stink bugs use mesh screening over air vents, chimneys, and other susceptible areas. Similarly, if you have holes in your screens, patch them up. Check doors for points of ingress.
Cracks and holes in the walls and foundation can be a point of ingress for stink bugs. Patch points of entry with high-grade silicone caulk. This should keep stink bugs away for good.
While stink bugs have unpleasant aromas of their own, there are smells they dislike too. Wipe down the screens of your windows and doors with scented dryer sheets. Stink bugs hate the smell, so theyll stay away.
There are a couple of extra things you can do to keep stink bugs away from your home. Stink bugs like weeds, so get rid of them. Kill some of the bugs outside your home, as the scent will drive others away.
And, if you okay with the possibility of a sting or two, grow wildflowers in your yard. Wasps are natural predators to stink bugs, so having wasps in the area will reduce the stink bug population.
If you have a stink bug or stink beetle as they are often called, in your house, avoid swatting or otherwise antagonizing it, because doing so will cause it to panic and release its odor. Instead, take a plastic bottle and use the lid to collect the stink bug, and then toss it outside.
You can also use plastic bags. Using a plastic bottle is ideal, however, because if the bug decides to stink, you trap the odor in the bottle. Once you have the bug, flush it down the toilet or (if the weather is cold) stick the bottle outside, where the bug will freeze. If its summer, put the bottle in the freezer for the same effect.
If you have a lot of stink bugs in your home and getting rid of them individually is impractical, consider making a trap. You can make a trap with a 2-liter soda bottle, LED light, electrical tape, and some supplies you probably have around the home. Heres how.
Stink Bug Trap Supplies
Use a razor blade to cut off the top of the bottle. Cut just above the label. Youll be cutting off approximately the top 1/3 of the bottle. Set the top of the bottle aside for the time being, as youll be using it later. Wrap the bottom of the bottle with black electrical tape.
Set the LED light at the bottom of the bottle. Take the bottle top from earlier and place it upside-down into the bottle. Youve created a funnel.
The sides of the bottle are slippery, so stink bugs will have a hard time climbing. Stick strips of masking tape along the outside of the bottle. The stink bugs will now be able to climb the sides, at which point theyll fall into the funnel. Once theyve entered the bottle, theyll be unable to climb out again.
Use a long object to turn on the LED light. Leave the trap out overnight. The LED light will attract stink bugs. In the morning, youll be able to dispose of them.
Youll want to avoid the use of insecticides in battling stink bugs for multiple reasons. First, adult stink bugs are hardy may shake off the effects. Also, by using insecticides, you expose members of your household and yourself to toxic chemicals that can impair your health.
In cases where youre killing stink bugs in wall cracks, the stench of the carcasses will attract carpet beetlesand now youve replaced one problem with another. For that reason, youll want to stick to natural remedies.
Do you like the smell of garlic? Stink bugs hate garlic. There are a couple of ways you can use garlic to keep stink bugs away from your home.
Garlic Spray for Stink Bugs Recipe
One way is by chopping up garlic and leaving the bits where you know the stink bugs are entering your home. The other is by making a mixture of garlic powder and water and spraying common points of ingress, which is especially useful if youve yet to caulk cracks and holes.
You can also use this spray on your clothing as a homemade insect repellent but know that you might not repel just bugs, but alienate friends, as well!
Sometimes, simplicity is the best route. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up stink bugs. Youll want to use a bagged vacuum, however. When sucked up by a vacuum, stink bugs feel threatened and release their stink.
If youre using a bagless vacuum, the odor will linger, and youll be smelling it for days (if not longer). By using a bag, you keep the smell contained. When youre finished vacuuming the stink bugs, throw the bag away.
Soap is effective in killing stinkbugs as it breaks down their exterior and leaves them dehydrated. A soapy water mixture can be sprayed directly on the stinkbugs. The safest option is to use a mild detergent, which will take care of the stink bugs without damaging your property or health.
The solution only takes a few minutes to put together, and the result is safe, natural, and effective. Best of all, theres a good chance that you already have the ingredients in your house, saving you a trip to the store.
Soapy Water Stink Bug Recipe
Mix up the ingredients in a sprayer and spritz all bugs you see.
Hairspray, on its own, wont kill stink bugs. What it will do, however, is paralyze them. Once paralyzed, you can then drop them into a bowl of soapy water, throw them outside, or flush them down the toilet. To use the hair spray, spray it directly onto the stink bug.
Technically, neem oil pressed from seeds of the neem tree is an insecticide. It is, however, a natural insecticide, meaning its effective against stink bugs and lacks the chemicals and additives characteristic of traditional over-the-counter insecticides.
While you wouldnt want to get OTC insecticides on you, neem oil can actually be beneficial for your skin. Neem oil works by disrupting the feeding instincts of stink bugs, thus starving them and preventing them from laying eggs.
Neem Oil Stink Bug Recipe
Use neem oil by combining it with warm water and spraying down common points of entry. Points of entry include windowsills, doors, and fissures in your walls and foundation. If youve noticed that stink bugs are attracted to certain places in your house, give the area a good coating.
While neem oil wont kill the bugs immediately, you should notice a decrease in the number of stink bugs in and around your house over the long term.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a type of sedimentary rock used for a variety of purposes. DE contains traces of silica, alumina, and iron oxide. In powder form, it is a natural pesticide and works great to kill silverfish, bed bugs, ants, and even spider mites. It is also one of the most effective home remedies for getting rid of roaches fast. A chalky powder, DE works by breaking down the exoskeleton of the bugs and dehydrating them.
To use DE, spread it around the inside and outside of your house. Focus on areas where stink bugs seem to congregate, as well as common points of entry such as windowsills and doorways. If you see any stink bugs, feel free to sprinkle the powder onto them directly.
Note: While on the market for DE, look for DE that hasnt been heat-treated, as untreated DE makes a better pesticide.
If youd prefer to use repellents instead of substances that will outright kill stink bugs, but you find the smell of garlic unsavory, consider using mint. Mint works the same way as garlic: the pungent aroma repels stink bugs without killing them.
Mint Stink Bug Recipe
To use mint, use peppermint oil and mix with some water in a spray bottle and apply to points of ingress. You should see a reduction in the number of stink bugs in your house. Similarly, you can also grind up fresh mint leaves and use them instead of the oil.
A hot pepper solution will kill stinkbugs immediately. Capsaicin, the chemical in hot peppers that gives them their signature heat, works by burning the exterior of the stink bugs.
To use it, let hot peppers (jalapenos, habaneros, etc.) soak in water and then pour the solution into a spray bottle. Spray it directly onto the stink bugs.
Warning: Please be careful while handling hot peppers. Be sure to wash your hands before doing anything else, such as rubbing your eyes or face.
Seeing a stink bug in your house can, well, stink. On the bright side, preparation and the right tools mean you can deal with the bugs with little to no drama and you can do it without exposing yourself to the odor that gives stink bugs their name.
In this article, you learned several home remedies to get rid of stink bugs. Youve learned about how to prevent them from entering your home in the first place, youve learned how to trap them, and youve learned solutions for getting rid of them once theyre inside.
Do you know someone who has a problem with stink bugs? Use the buttons below to share on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!
Read the original:
How to Get Rid of Stink Bugs - 8 Simple Home Remedies - Tips Bulletin
- Chigger Bites Vs. Bed Bug Bites: Telling Them Apart - Healthline - October 2nd, 2022
- Flea Bites: Treatment, Symptoms, 11 Home Remedies & Pictures - MedicineNet - October 2nd, 2022
- Bugs in your house? Here's how to get rid of them - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 8th, 2022
- 5 Home Remedies For Dealing With Bed Bug Menace For Good ... - August 3rd, 2020
- 14 Effective Home Remedies For Bed Bugs : Get Rid Of Them ... - July 29th, 2020
- 19 Best Home Remedies For Getting Rid of Bed Bugs - June 11th, 2020
- 11 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Naturally - June 11th, 2020
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Fast - Best Ways and Home Remedies - May 23rd, 2019
- Effective Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs - April 2nd, 2019
- Why Home Remedies for Bed Bugs Are Your Only Option ... - September 18th, 2018
- 11 Home Remedies To Kill Bed Bugs - Natural Treatments ... - April 26th, 2018
- 10 Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - Baking soda - April 25th, 2018
- Flea Bites Vs. Bed Bug Bites : Symptoms, Treatment ... - April 4th, 2018
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - Experts on ... - March 26th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites: The Most Effective Home ... - August 20th, 2017
- Bed bugs a painful, sleepless nightmare - The Star Online - August 13th, 2017
- Sleep well with these 7 Home Remedies for Bed Bugs Bite ... - July 23rd, 2017
- 6 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs [Incl. Recipes] - June 28th, 2017
- The Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally - June 25th, 2017
- Bed Bug Treatment: Control & Remove Bed Bugs in Your Home - June 18th, 2017
- How to Rid Your Home of Pesky Pests DYI - RealtyBizNews - April 8th, 2017
- Seattle Has Big Black Ants Attacking Homes commercial buildings like bull doozers - MENAFN.COM - April 8th, 2017
- Bed Bugs - bedbugs.us.org - March 11th, 2017
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Fast - March 2nd, 2017
- 19 Natural Home Remedies for Bed Bugs Bites - February 1st, 2017
- 8 Kill Bed Bugs Home Remedies Natural Treatments & Cures ... - July 22nd, 2016
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs, Kill and Get Rid of Bed Bugs ... - July 22nd, 2016
- Home Remedies for Bed Bug Bites - June 21st, 2016
- Manhattan Bed Bug Registry Maps & Database Manhattan Bed ... - June 21st, 2016
- Home Remedies for Bug Bites | eHow - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Info | Home And Natural Remedies For Bed Bugs - June 21st, 2016
- 7 Home Remedies to Combat Bed Bugs - FeminiyaFeminiya - June 21st, 2016
- Rapid Home Remedies - Alternative/Natural Home, Health ... - June 21st, 2016
- Bed Bugs Home Remedies - Kill All Bed Bugs - June 21st, 2016
- Geeks On Home: What Are Home Remedies for Bed Bugs? - June 21st, 2016
- 4 Home Remedies To Kill Bed Bugs - Get Holistic Health - July 10th, 2015
- 6 Herbal Remedies For Bed Bugs - Home Remedies ... - June 23rd, 2015
- 12 Herbal Remedies For Bed Bugs - How To Cure Bed Bugs ... - June 8th, 2015
- ERADICATOR 24 oz. Natural Bed Bug Dust Mite Treatment ... - May 7th, 2015
- How to Kill Bed Bugs Using Home Remedies | eHow - April 18th, 2015
- Natural Remedies to get rid of Bed Bugs - Ayurvedic and ... - March 27th, 2015
- Bad Bed Bugs: Photos of Bites with Infestation Treatment Help - February 6th, 2015
- Bed Sized Bed Bug Trap LLC Develops New Trap with the Goal of Bed Bug Extinction - January 20th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Bed Bug Home Remedies | how do u get rid of bed bugs - Video - November 28th, 2014
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Bed Bugs - November 16th, 2014
- The Problem With Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - November 3rd, 2014
- Home Bed Bug Heat Treatment - 3 propane 40k BTU forced air ... - October 27th, 2014
- Effective Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - Grandma's Home Remedies - October 27th, 2014
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Yourself Naturally (Home Remedies) - October 27th, 2014
- Bed Bug Bites: Treatment, Home Remedies, & Symptoms - October 13th, 2014
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs : Get Rid Of Them - Home ... - October 5th, 2014
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Home Remedy | eHow - August 23rd, 2014
- The Herb Gardener: Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - August 23rd, 2014
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs at Home - Video - May 22nd, 2014
- Natural Bed Bug Control & Treatment | bed-bugs.com - May 20th, 2014
- Natural Bed Bug Treatments | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - May 20th, 2014
- Bedbug Prevention - Quick Care - May 20th, 2014
- Natural Treatment For Bed Bug Bites: What Works and What ... - May 20th, 2014
- Bed Bug Patrol Travel Spray - Free Shipping - May 20th, 2014
- 8 Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - Natural Treatments & Cure ... - May 8th, 2014
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs | Bed Bug Relief - May 8th, 2014
- Columbus No. 3 for bedbugs - March 15th, 2014
- Chicago Tops Bed Bug Cities List for Second Consecutive Year - February 13th, 2014
- Home Remedy For Bed Bugs Review - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Treatment For Home: Top 5 Methods To Get Rid of ... - January 22nd, 2014
- Home Remedies For Bed Bugs - The Best Combination - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Insecticides / Treatments - Bed Bug.org - January 12th, 2014
- Home Remedies to Prevent Bed Bugs | eHow - December 20th, 2013
- Bed bug battle sparks protest - December 13th, 2013
- Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Bed Bugs | eHow - December 9th, 2013
- Natural Herbal Home Remedies for Bed Bug Control | eHow - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Home Remedy - December 6th, 2013
- Home Remedy in Six Steps for Getting Rid of Bed Bugs - Yahoo ... - November 30th, 2013
- LIVESTRONG.COM - Lose Weight & Get Fit with Diet, Nutrition ... - November 27th, 2013
- Home Remedies for Bed Bug Bites • Grandma's Home Remedies - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Home Remedies – 3 Easy Ways To Get Rid of Bed Bugs - November 15th, 2013
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs - November 15th, 2013
- What Are Home Remedies for Bed Bugs? | eHow - November 15th, 2013
- Home Remedies for Bed Bug Bites | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - November 10th, 2013
- Home Remedies for Bed Bugs | Home Remedies Health Benefits - November 8th, 2013