Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Ants and crickets and scorpions! Oh, my!
Dorothy of The Wizard of Oz fame would be aghast if she knew what was crawling around Southern Nevada homes these days. And as the heat increases and these varmints start looking for shade and water, Dorothys Oh, my is a call for help from a local pest control company.
Before making that call, start by keeping a clean house, because a clean house isnt as inviting to ants, crickets and scorpions as one that is unsanitary or unkempt. It is common knowledge that pests are always seeking water, food and a hideout. Eliminate any of those and you have less of a problem.
Clean the kitchen at night. Put away dishes. Do not leave food out on the table. Plug up holes in the walls. Sweep and vacuum the entire house every two to three weeks.
And if that doesnt keep those pests at bay, then its time to call an exterminator.
We see everything, including roaches, earwigs, centipedes, spiders, bees and even bedbugs, said Jason Mayers at Pitbull Pest Control. My job is pest management and will do everything to keep them out of a persons home. Our products are tested and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency, carefully regulated by the state of Nevada and are pet and people friendly. Just about everything we use is effective in keeping pests outside of the house.
But then there are scorpions.
Most insects walk on the powder or the spray that we distribute around the house, Mayers said. They walk on it and the poison is ingested into their system, and they die or they carry it back to the nest.
However, scorpions are different. They stand on the tips of their legs. We call it stilting. So this becomes more difficult, and we deal with them in a completely different manner. What is important is to eliminate their food source and remove any clothes or cardboard or anything that enables them to hide or find a home.
Mayers advises checking seals on the bottom of garage doors to make them tight and flush against the garage floor, and to check weather stripping on all doors and windows. A well-maintained yard is also a deterrent to insects.
Rosemary bushes smell great and make nice hedges, but they attract bees, Mayers said. And swarming Africanized honeybees are becoming more of a problem here. They pollinate like European bees and, for the most part, dont bother anyone. But theyre very protective of their hive and will attack if threatened.
Keep all shrubs trimmed and dont let leaves and other debris gather in the yard. And, definitely, trim away dead fronds from palm trees.
It isnt just the small pests that Mayers controls. He also deals with pigeons and rats.
People dont realize that pigeons carry up to 60 diseases, and 14 are transmutable to humans, he said. And of those 14, eight are known to be deadly. Theyre not only a health concern. Theyre dirty. (Pigeons) droppings can cause people to slip and fall, and their droppings are caustic, which eats through many different roofing materials.
Mayers explained that as construction pushes further into the desert, more pests are going to come to the forefront.
Were eliminating their natural food source as we invade their territory, he said. Were altering their way of life, and the desert is their prime habitat. Scorpion and spider nests, which have been dormant for years, are disturbed, and they need to go somewhere. So they move into the newly built homes or apartments or office buildings.
And if that isnt enough, get ready for termites.
In about 10 to 15 years, I expect termites to be a problem, he said. Its not a major concern now because naturally occurring asbestos and caliche deposits in the soil make it difficult for them to exist here. But the more land that we turn over, well be adding termites to our pest control list.
Old wives tales for pest control
A quick spray from a can of Raid will kill just about any bug or creepy crawler. But some conscientious homeowners prefer homemade concoctions to eliminate pests such as mice, cockroaches, ants and flies. Do they work?
Vinegar does eliminate fruit flies. Flies are attracted by the sweetness of rotting or decaying fruit. A cup of vinegar covered with plastic wrap with a hole in it is effective in combating a fruit fly infestation.
Do not bait your mousetrap with cheese. Instead, bait it with peanut butter. It is believed that the idea of cheese came from the old cartoon where Tom the cat tried to attract Jerry the mouse with cheese.
Spraying peppermint oil on webs will not get rid of spiders. The thought is that, when the web is sprayed with peppermint oil, the spider will go away. Well, the spider will go away but to another part of the house, where it will build another web.
Go ahead and use bay leaves around flour, rice and other dried pantry staples to keep pests away.Place the leaves directly in contact with the food or tape the leaves around the canisters. While bay leaves are a deterrent, they are not a substitute for cleaning the pantry of spilled products.
A Southern wives tale advises sprinkling grits on the counter as a barrier against ants. False. The idea is that the grits will expand in the ants stomach and they will die. In fact, the grits become a food source, and the ants will be attracted rather than deterred.
- College Handbook: The Chico dorm room/apartment checklist - Oroville Mercury Register - August 19th, 2017
- College Handbook: The Chico dorm room/apartment checklist - Chico Enterprise-Record - August 18th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Heat Treatment Las Vegas - jspestcontrol.com - August 7th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator in Las Vegas A1 Bed Bug Pros Opens with Outstanding Services - Digital Journal - July 14th, 2017
- JS Pest Control Bed Bugs Extermination | Learn - Do You ... - June 28th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Las Vegas, Nevada - Pest Control - June 13th, 2017
- Embarrassed seniors complicate bed bug fight at Las Vegas housing complex - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 4th, 2017
- Student's future shines despite parents' addictions - The Nevada Sagebrush (blog) - February 6th, 2017
- How to Check a Room for Bed Bugs | USA Today - December 25th, 2016
- How to Search Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs | WIRED - May 31st, 2016
- Essential Oils Fail at Killing Bed Bugs | WIRED - May 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Control | Western Exterminator - March 21st, 2016
- Las Vegas Bed Bug Removal | Fischer's Pest Control - March 19th, 2016
- Pest Control Services - Hidden City Pest Control - Las ... - March 7th, 2016
- Nevada Bed Bug Exterminators Pest Control - March 7th, 2016
- Heat Bed Bugs | Why settle for pest control...we eliminate ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Reports Edgewater Hotel And Casino Laughlin, NV ... - October 31st, 2015
- How to kill bed bugs using steam (FAQs) - October 5th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Paris Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV - September 4th, 2015
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Pest Control Las Vegas NV ... - August 11th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, NV - August 11th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - August 11th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Mirage Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NV - February 15th, 2015
- Company Trains Dogs to Detect Bed Bugs - December 17th, 2014
- Prochem Proactive Deploys the Bed Bug Mobile Command Center - November 20th, 2014
- Nevada Bedbug Laws | Pest Control Las Vegas NV - June 6th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas - Bed Bug Removal & Management by ... - May 8th, 2014
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Reno Hotels - Reno, Nevada ... - May 7th, 2014
- Senske Services Offers Tips on Bed Bug Prevention During National Bed Bug Awareness Week - April 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas Forum TripAdvisor - April 15th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Las Vegas Forum - TripAdvisor - Reviews of ... - March 24th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Las Vegas Forum - TripAdvisor - February 17th, 2014
- nevada Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - bed bug news ... - February 6th, 2014
- Reno NV Dermatologist Doctors - Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in ... - January 29th, 2014
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Las Vegas Hotels - Las Vegas ... - January 19th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas Advice News Hotel Reports and Local Resources - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Report for Excalibur Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NV - December 23rd, 2013
- nevada — Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - December 1st, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Health Topics - Southern Nevada Health District - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Las Vegas Forum - TripAdvisor - Reviews of Hotels ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Registry Database Nevada, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Las Vegas Hotels - Las Vegas, Nevada ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Pest Conrol Bed Bugs Treatment 3 | Las Vegas Nevada | 702-636-8571 - Video - June 7th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas NV | 702-636-8571 - Video - March 22nd, 2012
- Stop Buggn Pest Control - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Global Bed Bug Dispatch - Video - February 9th, 2012
- BELLAGIO HOTEL LAS VEGAS BED BUG - Video - January 20th, 2012
- PEST VLOG 11-4-11 Halloween, Bed Bugs - November 8th, 2011
- STOP BUGGN RADIO COMMERCIAL #2 NEW MUSIC - Video - October 31st, 2011
- PEST VLOG 10-10-11 Debrief Tha Roach, Bed Bug Airlines - October 22nd, 2011
- If I have bedbugs, what are my legal rights as a tenant? - October 8th, 2011
- Delcon Termite - October 8th, 2011
- 2010 Election, Asteroid Collision - September 8th, 2011
- 702.tv News, July 7th, 2009 - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.