Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Can You Sue a Hotel for Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are a fear for anyone who travels and with good reason. These tiny bugs are painful, and they can be extremely difficult and expensive to get rid of once they have infested an area. If bed bugs hitchhiked onto your clothing or your luggage from a hotel room, you may be feeling like someone should compensate you for the cost and nuisance of their removal, which might even include alternative living arrangements until the bugs have been cleared from your home.
These insects are small about the size of an apple seed brown, and oval. They live off the blood of people and animals. They crawl across floors and ceilings. Like lice, they dont fly but they are excellent hitchhikers and have been known to hitch onto travelers luggage or clothing after staying in hotels.
Some people assume that bed bugs are from dirty residences, but thats not necessarily the case, and they dont transmit diseases. Any area can get infested with bed bugs; all it takes is one to infest an entire residence. They have been found in 5-star hotels as well as low-income housing.
Getting rid of bed bugs isnt easy once one has found its way into your home. Wash and dry all clothing and bedding in the hottest water cycle of your washing machine. They can be killed by heat. You can try to vacuum your beds and furniture, but in the worst cases, youll need to discard them. Steam clean any carpeting in addition to vacuuming. When you empty the vacuum bin, put the refuse into a sealed container.
The good news is that you can sue a hotel for negligence if you got bed bugs after a stay. The more difficult news is that you must prove the hotel was negligent and that negligence is what caused your luggage or clothing to become targeted.
To prove negligence, youll have to prove the hotel knew about the infestation and didnt take proper measures to rid the rooms of the bugs, or that the hotel didnt do proper inspections and that lack of care resulted in the bed bug infestation. What makes this difficult to prove is the initial invisibility of a few bed bugs. How would a hotel know if there was an issue at an early stage? One hitchhiker could populate your entire home. It would be impossible for a hotel to have this kind of foresight at least that is likely what the court will think.
If you have had an infestation, be sure to keep all evidence of your hotel stay as well as receipts for everything youve paid for treatment and bed bug removal.
You can file a lawsuit if you find enough evidence that the hotel acted negligently in their response to bed bugs. Your possible damages may include:
As early as last year, West Virginia was still in the throes of a bed bug epidemic. Tenants of homes infested with bed bugs had no protection under state or federal laws. Current state law requires that hotels be free of bed bugs, but there is no state law regarding rentals.
Because the prevalence of bed bugs in this area is such an issue, hotels should be diligent in their prevention of bed bug infestations. If you think your home was infested because you stayed in a hotel with bed bugs, contact an attorney at Tiano ODell, PLLC to discuss your case.
Follow this link:
Can You Sue a Hotel for Bed Bugs? | Tiano Odell Law
- Westmoreland Co. Housing Authority To Use Dogs To Sniff Out Bed Bugs - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- Bed Bugs in Rental Housing - Legal Aid of West Virginia - April 5th, 2018
- FAQ: advice on getting treatment to eliminate bed bugs - April 4th, 2018
- Ozone Experiment Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums - April 4th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Ona West Virginia Best of 2018 - February 17th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Danville West Virginia Best of 2018 - February 17th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Bedbug, Pictures, Bites, Treatment & Signs - February 7th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Lanark West Virginia Best of 2017 - December 7th, 2017
- These 12 Bugs Found In West Virginia Will Send Shivers ... - December 7th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Extension Service | West Virginia University - September 23rd, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - KCBY.com 11 - August 5th, 2017
- Kill Bed Bugs in Craigsville West Virginia Best of 2017 - August 4th, 2017
- Kill Bed Bugs in Martinsburg West Virginia Best of 2017 - August 1st, 2017
- Bed Bug Control in Monaville West Virginia Best of 2017 - July 15th, 2017
- Mad Minute stories for June 5, 2017 - KHQ Right Now - June 6th, 2017
- BED BUGS! - Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Fairmont ... - July 30th, 2015
- Bed Bugs in Barboursville, West Virginia - February 21st, 2015
- Bed Bugs! According to HUD, Normally The Landlord's ... - February 12th, 2015
- Virginia Bed Bug Heat Treatment Company Environmental Heat ... - January 21st, 2015
- K9 Bed Bug Detection Services Purcellville VA, Call 540 ... - December 1st, 2014
- Canine Bed Bug Detection Washington D.C., Call 540-441 ... - November 23rd, 2014
- West Virginia Bed Bug Treatments + Tricks - Bed Bug ... - September 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Huntington WV - March 31st, 2014
- Complaints of bedbugs increase in Alaska - Wire Health ... - March 23rd, 2014
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs DC | Bed Bug Powder | Connor's Termite ... - January 15th, 2014
- Get Rid of Bed Bugs DC | Bed Bug Powder | Connor's Pest Protection - January 10th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - WVU Ext - Agriculture & Natural Resources | Home - November 30th, 2013
- Common West Virginia House Bugs | eHow - eHow | How to Videos ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Registry Database West Virginia, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bug Registry Database Virginia, Usa, National Bed Bug Registry ... - November 14th, 2013
- Banishing Bed Bugs - Video - December 8th, 2011
- WVU Health Report -- Bedbugs - September 6th, 2011
- SLATE DUMP -- Bed Bug Epidemic - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.