Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Photo: Akos Nagy (Shutterstock)
Nobody wants bed bugs. You do not want bed bugs. The hotel youre staying in does not want bed bugs, but its entirely possible that it has them. We have tips on how to check your hotel room for bed bugs, but what do you do if you actually find some? You do not want to risk bringing these guys home.
When you first enter your hotel room, do not flop your suitcase or yourself down on the bed. The same goes for the couch, or anything else upholstered. Roll your suitcase into the bathroom, and leave it there for now. You can set your purse down on the countertop or even a table, but to be totally honest, the safest place for all your stuff right now is the bathtub.
Bed bugs could be in any type of hotel, so dont assume that the hotel youre in is so nice or so clean that you dont need to check. The details on where to look, and what to look for, are here. In brief: pull up the bedsheets and mattress covers at the corners, and inspect for stains or gritty black or brown stuff.
Bed bugs live in dark crevices, out of sight, but they come out each night for blood meals (aka, you). They can hide in and around beds, so that includes headboards and picture frames; check around the edges of those, too. And despite the name, they can also live in non-bed furnishings, like couches. So check those places.
G/O Media may get a commission
If you find bed bug evidence on the mattress or elsewhere, take a minute to verify your suspicions. There are plenty of websites that will show you all the gory details of what a bed bug infestation looks like, so Ill spare you the visuals here. This FAQ from Reddits bedbug forum provides a good rundown of what youre looking for, and it also includes information on several lookalike species that are not bed bugs.
Because, honestly: a lot of people dont know what bed bugs look like. If you see a bug in your hotel room, its fair to suspect bed bugs, but make sure to verify your observation in case youve just happened upon an ant, a carpet beetle, or a roach. These guys may not be the best roommates, but they are nothing compared to the horror of possibly bringing home a bed bug infestation.
Now, just because you found ants or roaches, that does not mean that youre in the clear. You could have roaches and bedbugs. Just saying.
Alright, so youve found what youre pretty sure is bed bug evidence. The first thing I would do, after (or in the process of) identifying what Ive found, is to take clear photos, just in case these come in handy when making your complaint or asking corporate headquarters for a refund.
Next, your luggage! Is it in the bathtub? If so, its safe for now. If not, put it in the bathtub. Its possible for bed bugs to crawl into your bags and thereby hitch a ride home. If theres any chance that they snuck in while you werent looking (for example, if you dont find the bugs until after youve spent a few nights in the room), treat your suitcase as potentially contaminated until you can thoroughly clean it and everything in it. But thats for later.
Now, you have to figure out where youre spending the night, because ideally it will not be this bed bug-infested hotel room. Contact the front desk and explain the issue. Some states have laws requiring that any room with bed bugs have them exterminated before anybody can use the room again. You can reasonably expect the hotel to try to move you to a different room, or to let you cancel the reservation and go elsewhere.
If they do want to move you to a different room, ask for it to be as far away from the infested room as possible. A room right next door, or directly above or below, may be infested as well. Insist on inspecting the new room before you agree to stay there.
One more thing to do while youve got a hotel employee apologizing at you: Ask for garbage bags. If you did get some bed bugs in your suitcase, you dont want to bring them to your next accommodations. And if you didnt, you might be, understandably, extra paranoid about the possibility. Wrap your bags in plastic for the rest of your trip.
What if you have no other option, or you discovered the bugs after already spending a night in the cursed room? How bad is it to wake up with bed bug bites?
The good news is that bed bugs dont transmit diseases with their bites. They may be able to transmit Chagas disease through their feces, although the normal vector for that disease is bed bugs relative the kissing bug. What that means, for you: Dont scratch your bed bug bites until after youve washed the skin around them.
Okay, now time for the bad news. Bed bug bites are no fun. Most commonly, there will be several bites in clusters or in a row. They look a bit like mosquito bites, and they itch. You wont notice anything while youre being bitten, but you may find yourself itching the next day, or even a few days later.
If youve been bitten by a lot of bed bugs, you may be desensitized to them. Or maybe youre just luckypeoples reactions vary, and some people do not react at all.
If you need to stay in a place that may have bed bugs, get some plastic sheeting and place it on top of the bed, and dont allow it to touch the floor or any surroundings (pull the bed away from the headboard). You can put clean sheets on top of the plastic, but make sure your bedding doesnt touch the floor. Its relatively safe to sleep on a plastic-encased bed like this.
Alright, lets talk about that suitcase. Bed bugs may climb in it because theyre looking for a hiding place, but they may also be following the scent of your dirty laundry. If you cant manage to wrap your whole suitcase in plastic, at the very least bag up your laundry.
While youre still in the infested area, sort your laundry. Anything labeled dry clean only should skip the washer but is usually safe to go in the dryer. Sort the rest of your laundry the usual way, and plan to wash it using the hottest and harshest settings that wont destroy your clothes. If something can be washed in hot water, by golly, you will wash it in hot water. Seal up the laundry before you take it home or to the laundromat; if there are bugs in the bags, you dont want them crawling out.
At home, or at the next place you get the opportunity, empty everything out of your suitcase and vacuum the entire suitcase, inside and out, including all the pockets and nooks and crannies. Do this outdoors if you can, and seal up the debris when you take it out of the vacuum.
The University of Minnesota has a guide to laundering clothes to kill bed bugs. Pro tip: 30 minutes in the dryer, on high heat, will kill the bugs. You can use this treatment on clothes that dont need to be washed or that shouldnt get wet (like the dry-clean-only stuff).
Be careful about those bags, by the way. The guide has instructions on sealing up the empty, used bag so that any bugs inside wont be able to escape from the trash. And youll want to put your clothes immediately into clean bags (dont trust the folding table at the laundromat) and keep them sealed up until youre in a place that you know is bed bug-free.
Heres another small piece of good news: While it may be hard to find bed bugs, its pretty easy to kill them. They dont do well with extremes of temperature, so one way to kill them is to leave your belongings in a hot car or a garbage bag for a few days and let the summer sun bake them to death. (The University of Minnesota says the heat isnt reliable enough; the Texas A&M extension endorses the technique as long as you can get the contents of the bag up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. I suspect this approach works better in Texas than in Minnesota.)
Freezing is also an option. To kill bed bugs, they must be below freezing temperatures for four days; consider using a thermometer to monitor the process, especially for large items where the surface might be cold but the inside may not be. The University of Minnesota warns that outdoor temperatures arent usually consistent enough to be able to freeze things just by leaving them outside in the winter; an actual freezer will do the job better.
Objects with hard surfaces, like wooden or plastic toys, can be wiped clean. Watch out for cracks and crevices, though; the little buggers like to hide. Its possible to fumigate small objects with kits you can buy, if you cant find another way to kill the bugs.
See the original post:
What to Do If You Find Bed Bugs In Your Hotel Room - Lifehacker
- Amazon warehouse in Amarillo closes temporarily due to bed bugs - October 1st, 2022
- Get an Amazon Package From Texas? Better Check for Bed Bugs - October 1st, 2022
- Texas Amazon Site Closed Due to Nasty Bed Bug Infestation - October 1st, 2022
- Texas Amazon Facility Temporarily Closed Due to Bed Bug Infestation - Newstalk1290 - October 1st, 2022
- Tornado Pest Control And Pressure Washing Solutions LLC Expands in the Texas area, Now Including Pest Control Services in Kyle, TX - Digital Journal - September 15th, 2022
- How you get bed bugs? How they infest your home and what you can do. - USA TODAY - August 11th, 2022
- Central Texas women use grocery bags to make mats to protect homeless from heat - 25 News KXXV and KRHD - July 25th, 2022
- How To Find The Best Pest Control Companies In Houston, TX July 2022 - Forbes - July 16th, 2022
- The Cameron Motel, one of Denver's creepiest, has been demolished as luxury apartments rise on the University Hills site - Denverite - July 16th, 2022
- The Bug Master is a Leader in Pest Control Serving the Austin, Texas area, for Over 40 Years - Digital Journal - March 23rd, 2022
- Bed bugs in your hotel... what to do after? - Insects in ... - January 2nd, 2022
- Landlord Responsibility for Bed Bugs | Nolo - January 2nd, 2022
- Stock Stories to Make You Smarter, Happier, and Richer - Motley Fool - November 18th, 2021
- 'We need help' | State shuts down senior living facility over health concerns, leaving residents with 10 days to find a new home - KENS5.com - October 21st, 2021
- Bed Bugs - Public Health Sanitation Program - Texas - June 16th, 2021
- BED BUGS IN TEXAS Bed Bugs - June 16th, 2021
- Texas, United States Bed Bug Registry Map World, Bed Bug ... - June 16th, 2021
- How to Effectively Kill Bed Bugs Using Diatomaceous Earth (DE) - January 23rd, 2021
- Do-it-yourself Bed Bug Control | Bed Bugs: Get Them Out ... - January 23rd, 2021
- Insects and the cold - Plainview Daily Herald - December 30th, 2020
- Bed bug cases on the rise since 2010 | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - November 25th, 2020
- Bed bugs - Texas A&M University - November 7th, 2020
- Home and Garden Pesticides Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2025 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - The Think... - October 31st, 2020
- Bed Bug Control Service| Bed Bug Information & Treatment ... - September 25th, 2020
- Bad Bed Bugs in Austin, Texas: Why theyre so Hard to ... - September 25th, 2020
- Roundups: BBQ joint preps for grand opening in New Caney this weekend - Laredo Morning Times - September 4th, 2020
- Bed Bugs in Texas | Bugs In The News - August 28th, 2020
- Texas Bed Bug Laws & Property Code - Is Your Landlord ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Texas Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports | BedBugReports.com - July 21st, 2020
- DC Bureau: George Floyd's brother calls for police reform during congressional hearing - WWLP.com - June 11th, 2020
- Elected officials working to end food insecurity in Massachusetts - WWLP.com - June 11th, 2020
- George Floyd's brother pleads with Washington lawmakers: 'I am here to ask you to make it stop' - WWLP.com - June 11th, 2020
- Bed Bugs Texas: Fighting Them In A Big Way - May 18th, 2020
- Bed Bug Inspection Spring - Learn About Bed Bugs In Texas ... - May 7th, 2020
- Two Texas Cities Made The Top 20 List For Bed Bugs - March 31st, 2020
- Your Rideshare Vehicle Could Have Bed... - The News Wheel - February 28th, 2020
- Texas Exterminator Treats '5 to 10' Rideshare Vehicles for Bed Bugs Each Week - The Drive - February 26th, 2020
- Some Dallas officers are fighting both crime and bed bugs on the job - WFAA.com - February 20th, 2020
- The Stroller, Feb. 18, 2020: Events in the Alle-Kiski Valley - TribLIVE - February 19th, 2020
- Something about online reviews and reputation management for business - The Hear UP - January 29th, 2020
- Abolish Pest Wild Life Control - The Hear UP - January 28th, 2020
- Bed Bugs: We've Learned a Thing or Two - PCT Magazine - November 28th, 2019
- Reggie Yates on getting bed bugs, fearing for his life and why hell never do I'm A Celeb - Metro.co.uk - November 19th, 2019
- Common Insects Blog Texas Insect Identification Tools - May 31st, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment in Katy Texas (281) 570-3314 - May 12th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment - Texas Bug Masters - May 11th, 2019
- Texas Bed Bug Settlement - Bed Bug Law - May 6th, 2019
- Texas, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 21st, 2019
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator & Pest Control in Houston Texas ... - March 14th, 2019
- Bed Bugs in Texas - Bed Bug Treatment Houston - February 3rd, 2019
- TAMU Bed Bugs Texas A&M University Center for Urban ... - December 29th, 2018
- Pecos TX Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - September 29th, 2018
- Pest Control San Antonio | Bed Bugs, Wasp & Rodent Control - July 16th, 2018
- Texas | Bed Bug Lawyer & Attorney - July 13th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Bed Bug Treatment in Southeast Texas | EnviroCon - April 10th, 2018
- Bed Bugs | Morgellons - A Mundane Approach - March 13th, 2018
- Bed Bugs and Your Apartment, Texas A&M - Insects in the City - March 12th, 2018
- Texas Bugs Or Us - Houston Exterminator, Pest Control ... - February 20th, 2018
- North Texas Bed Bug Infestation Growing At Alarming Rate ... - January 29th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Rosanky Texas Best of 2018 - chinanews-jp.com - January 29th, 2018
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator in Houston Texas! Control-Removal ... - January 12th, 2018
- The Best Bed Bug Sprays to Kill Bed Bugs Fast - December 25th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Beeline Pest Control San Antonio Texas - December 17th, 2017
- Pest Control Services | Termites, Bed Bugs, Rodents, More ... - December 8th, 2017
- 855bugs.com - Pest Control Services - Termites - Bed Bugs - December 6th, 2017
- Bed bugs seeing 'exponential' increase in Grayson County - KXII-TV - August 11th, 2017
- Killeen: Several cats euthanized following apartment fire - KWTX.com - KWTX - August 9th, 2017
- Railroad workers say they're bugged by bugs at area hotel - KWTX - August 4th, 2017
- Bed Bug Awareness Poor Among US Travelers, But Reactions Are Strong - PCT Magazine - July 31st, 2017
- Tenants of Houston condo allege owners failed to disclose bed bug ... - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants of Houston condo allege owners failed to disclose bed bug problem - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants allege JK 1000 Country Place, others failed to disclose bed ... - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants allege JK 1000 Country Place, others failed to disclose bed bug infestation - Southeast Texas Record - July 26th, 2017
- Bed Bug Extermination & Control | Dallas / Fort Worth Texas - June 25th, 2017
- Bed Bugs: An Expensive Pest Problem That Low-Income Renters Often Pay For - Texas Public Radio - June 22nd, 2017
- Bed Bugs: An Expensive Pest Problem That Low-Income Renters Often Pay For - KERA News - June 21st, 2017
- Bed Bugs In Lubbock - Story | Lubbock, South Plains, West Texas - EverythingLubbock.com - June 14th, 2017
- Facebook post goes viral after woman alleges she found bed bugs on Parkdale mall couch - 12newsnow.com - June 13th, 2017
- Girl Says She's 'Too Hot' To Be Roasted And Holy Hell The Internet Destroyed Her - Crave Online - June 5th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.