Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
What tenants should know about landlords' responsibility for bed bugs in rental properties.
Bed bug problem? It happens to even the best of apartments. Bed bugs can catch a ride in your suitcase or used furniture (beware of second hand mattresses!) or on your clothing. The critters can even travel from another apartment in your building. Positively identifying bed bugs is best left to a professional, but if you want to learn more, there are many resources about bed bugs available (the Environmental Protection Agency has a particularly good bed bug website).
Here's how tenants should deal with a bed bug infestation in their rental. (Hint: A can of Raid is not going to do the job.)
If you suspect a bed bug infestation in your unit or building, contact your landlord or manager right away. Your landlord should hire a qualified exterminator to inspect for and measure the concentration of bed bugs in your rental (and also adjoining units). Before any exterminator enters your unit, your landlord should give you proper notice of entry for the exterminator's inspection, or work with you to come up with a plan for accessing your unit that works for both of you.
Some states have specific laws on the books about landlords'and tenants'duties regarding bed bug infestations. For example, state laws might require tenants to take steps such as:
Ask your landlord what to expect from the bed bug inspection. Typically, a pest management professional will examine the main bed bug site (such as your mattress and bedding), as well as other common bed bug hiding places, such as drawers, closets, and shelves. A professional will also attempt to determine where the bed bugs came from, and learn whether and how the problem has spread. Mapping the infestation might also help determine when a particular rental unit became infested, which the landlord may use to apportion financial responsibility for the exterminationsome states allow landlords to charge the cost of extermination to tenants who willfully or recklessly cause an infestation, or who fail to timely report an infestation.
Exterminators usually recommend that tenants in bed bug-infested units take the following steps:
Keep in mind that if you don't follow the exterminator's advice, and the bed bugs reappear, you'll have to start the whole process all over again. Also, in some states, you could face fines if you don't follow or cooperate with your landlord's bed bug control measures.
As long as the tenant didn't introduce the bed bugs, the landlord is usually responsible for extermination.
Most states require landlords to provide habitable housing, and most courts don't consider bed bug infested units to be habitable. So, as long as the tenant didn't introduce the bed bugs, the landlord is usually responsible for extermination. However, determining who introduced the bed bugs (and who must foot the bill) is often very difficult in multi-unit buildings: Many tenants may be moving in and out, some might have recently traveled abroad and brought home bed bugs, and others might have brought home furniture that contained bed bugs. As a result, landlords (or their insurers) often end up footing the extermination bill and (possibly) tenant relocation costs in properties with several rental units.
If you live in a single-family homeespecially if you've lived there a long timeit's more likely that the landlord will hold you responsible for the infestation and its extermination costs, simply because there's no other tenants to blame.
Note that renters' insurance typically will not pay for eradication of bed bugs or bed bug-related damage. If a qualified partysuch as a professional exterminatordetermines that you caused the infestation, it's likely that you will be paying the costs of extermination out of your own pocket.
Depending on your state's law, if your landlord fails to take care of a major bed bug problem, you might have options such as:
Before you take any of these steps to deal with an unresponsive landlord, though, you should consider consulting with an attorney or local housing resource to see what options local law allows. Some states don't allow tenants to withhold rent or move out without penalty, and others might even put the responsibility on the tenant to exterminate bed bugs. Tenants who improperly take one of these steps to solve their bed bug problem might face serious consequences, such as owing rent on a unit they've moved out of or having their tenancy terminated for wrongfully withholding rent.
Many tenants don't want to live in a property with a history of bed bugseven if the landlord has taken proper extermination measures. Some states require landlords to disclose past or present bed bug infestations, and even more states require landlords to disclose general issues with the property. Tenants who are concerned about a property's bed bug-related past should ask the landlord outright about any prior infestations. Even if the law doesn't require disclosure, landlords should answer such questions truthfully. When a landlord misrepresents the property's history, the tenant might have grounds for a lawsuit or other remediessuch as breaking the lease without penaltylater on if the tenant suffers harm from a bed bug infestation.
- Amazon warehouse in Amarillo closes temporarily due to bed bugs - October 1st, 2022
- Get an Amazon Package From Texas? Better Check for Bed Bugs - October 1st, 2022
- Texas Amazon Site Closed Due to Nasty Bed Bug Infestation - October 1st, 2022
- Texas Amazon Facility Temporarily Closed Due to Bed Bug Infestation - Newstalk1290 - October 1st, 2022
- Tornado Pest Control And Pressure Washing Solutions LLC Expands in the Texas area, Now Including Pest Control Services in Kyle, TX - Digital Journal - September 15th, 2022
- How you get bed bugs? How they infest your home and what you can do. - USA TODAY - August 11th, 2022
- Central Texas women use grocery bags to make mats to protect homeless from heat - 25 News KXXV and KRHD - July 25th, 2022
- How To Find The Best Pest Control Companies In Houston, TX July 2022 - Forbes - July 16th, 2022
- The Cameron Motel, one of Denver's creepiest, has been demolished as luxury apartments rise on the University Hills site - Denverite - July 16th, 2022
- What to Do If You Find Bed Bugs In Your Hotel Room - Lifehacker - June 28th, 2022
- The Bug Master is a Leader in Pest Control Serving the Austin, Texas area, for Over 40 Years - Digital Journal - March 23rd, 2022
- Bed bugs in your hotel... what to do after? - Insects in ... - January 2nd, 2022
- Stock Stories to Make You Smarter, Happier, and Richer - Motley Fool - November 18th, 2021
- 'We need help' | State shuts down senior living facility over health concerns, leaving residents with 10 days to find a new home - KENS5.com - October 21st, 2021
- Bed Bugs - Public Health Sanitation Program - Texas - June 16th, 2021
- BED BUGS IN TEXAS Bed Bugs - June 16th, 2021
- Texas, United States Bed Bug Registry Map World, Bed Bug ... - June 16th, 2021
- How to Effectively Kill Bed Bugs Using Diatomaceous Earth (DE) - January 23rd, 2021
- Do-it-yourself Bed Bug Control | Bed Bugs: Get Them Out ... - January 23rd, 2021
- Insects and the cold - Plainview Daily Herald - December 30th, 2020
- Bed bug cases on the rise since 2010 | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - November 25th, 2020
- Bed bugs - Texas A&M University - November 7th, 2020
- Home and Garden Pesticides Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2025 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - The Think... - October 31st, 2020
- Bed Bug Control Service| Bed Bug Information & Treatment ... - September 25th, 2020
- Bad Bed Bugs in Austin, Texas: Why theyre so Hard to ... - September 25th, 2020
- Roundups: BBQ joint preps for grand opening in New Caney this weekend - Laredo Morning Times - September 4th, 2020
- Bed Bugs in Texas | Bugs In The News - August 28th, 2020
- Texas Bed Bug Laws & Property Code - Is Your Landlord ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Texas Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports | BedBugReports.com - July 21st, 2020
- DC Bureau: George Floyd's brother calls for police reform during congressional hearing - WWLP.com - June 11th, 2020
- Elected officials working to end food insecurity in Massachusetts - WWLP.com - June 11th, 2020
- George Floyd's brother pleads with Washington lawmakers: 'I am here to ask you to make it stop' - WWLP.com - June 11th, 2020
- Bed Bugs Texas: Fighting Them In A Big Way - May 18th, 2020
- Bed Bug Inspection Spring - Learn About Bed Bugs In Texas ... - May 7th, 2020
- Two Texas Cities Made The Top 20 List For Bed Bugs - March 31st, 2020
- Your Rideshare Vehicle Could Have Bed... - The News Wheel - February 28th, 2020
- Texas Exterminator Treats '5 to 10' Rideshare Vehicles for Bed Bugs Each Week - The Drive - February 26th, 2020
- Some Dallas officers are fighting both crime and bed bugs on the job - WFAA.com - February 20th, 2020
- The Stroller, Feb. 18, 2020: Events in the Alle-Kiski Valley - TribLIVE - February 19th, 2020
- Something about online reviews and reputation management for business - The Hear UP - January 29th, 2020
- Abolish Pest Wild Life Control - The Hear UP - January 28th, 2020
- Bed Bugs: We've Learned a Thing or Two - PCT Magazine - November 28th, 2019
- Reggie Yates on getting bed bugs, fearing for his life and why hell never do I'm A Celeb - Metro.co.uk - November 19th, 2019
- Common Insects Blog Texas Insect Identification Tools - May 31st, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment in Katy Texas (281) 570-3314 - May 12th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment - Texas Bug Masters - May 11th, 2019
- Texas Bed Bug Settlement - Bed Bug Law - May 6th, 2019
- Texas, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - March 21st, 2019
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator & Pest Control in Houston Texas ... - March 14th, 2019
- Bed Bugs in Texas - Bed Bug Treatment Houston - February 3rd, 2019
- TAMU Bed Bugs Texas A&M University Center for Urban ... - December 29th, 2018
- Pecos TX Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - September 29th, 2018
- Pest Control San Antonio | Bed Bugs, Wasp & Rodent Control - July 16th, 2018
- Texas | Bed Bug Lawyer & Attorney - July 13th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Bed Bug Treatment in Southeast Texas | EnviroCon - April 10th, 2018
- Bed Bugs | Morgellons - A Mundane Approach - March 13th, 2018
- Bed Bugs and Your Apartment, Texas A&M - Insects in the City - March 12th, 2018
- Texas Bugs Or Us - Houston Exterminator, Pest Control ... - February 20th, 2018
- North Texas Bed Bug Infestation Growing At Alarming Rate ... - January 29th, 2018
- Kill Bed Bugs in Rosanky Texas Best of 2018 - chinanews-jp.com - January 29th, 2018
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator in Houston Texas! Control-Removal ... - January 12th, 2018
- The Best Bed Bug Sprays to Kill Bed Bugs Fast - December 25th, 2017
- Bed Bugs | Beeline Pest Control San Antonio Texas - December 17th, 2017
- Pest Control Services | Termites, Bed Bugs, Rodents, More ... - December 8th, 2017
- 855bugs.com - Pest Control Services - Termites - Bed Bugs - December 6th, 2017
- Bed bugs seeing 'exponential' increase in Grayson County - KXII-TV - August 11th, 2017
- Killeen: Several cats euthanized following apartment fire - KWTX.com - KWTX - August 9th, 2017
- Railroad workers say they're bugged by bugs at area hotel - KWTX - August 4th, 2017
- Bed Bug Awareness Poor Among US Travelers, But Reactions Are Strong - PCT Magazine - July 31st, 2017
- Tenants of Houston condo allege owners failed to disclose bed bug ... - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants of Houston condo allege owners failed to disclose bed bug problem - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants allege JK 1000 Country Place, others failed to disclose bed ... - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants allege JK 1000 Country Place, others failed to disclose bed bug infestation - Southeast Texas Record - July 26th, 2017
- Bed Bug Extermination & Control | Dallas / Fort Worth Texas - June 25th, 2017
- Bed Bugs: An Expensive Pest Problem That Low-Income Renters Often Pay For - Texas Public Radio - June 22nd, 2017
- Bed Bugs: An Expensive Pest Problem That Low-Income Renters Often Pay For - KERA News - June 21st, 2017
- Bed Bugs In Lubbock - Story | Lubbock, South Plains, West Texas - EverythingLubbock.com - June 14th, 2017
- Facebook post goes viral after woman alleges she found bed bugs on Parkdale mall couch - 12newsnow.com - June 13th, 2017
- Girl Says She's 'Too Hot' To Be Roasted And Holy Hell The Internet Destroyed Her - Crave Online - June 5th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.