Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Have you ever seen a bed bug?
Adult bed bugs are reddish-brown, wingless insects about the size of an apple seed (1/4 to 3/8 inches long). When viewed from the side, they are flat, which allows them to fit into narrow spaces. Newly hatched bugs are white or yellowish and resemble the adults, but are smaller. Bed bug eggs are white, about the size of a pinhead (1/10 inches long) and are found in crevices in clusters of 10-50 eggs.
What are bed bugs?
Why have bed bugs returned?
Although the bugs were nearly wiped out in the United States in the 1950s, other parts of the world did not see a similar decline. Changing pesticide use in combination with international travel and commerce left an opening for bed bugs to again take hold in the United States. Pesticide resistance contributes to the challenge of controlling this pest.
Where are bed bugs found?
Bed bugs are often found near sleeping areas in the seams of mattresses, box springs and cracks and crevices in bed frames. They usually spread to gaps behind baseboards, pictures, wallpaper and electrical outlets. They may hitchhike into a home on used furniture, clothing or other items brought from infested areas.
Can bed bugs cause disease?
Bed bugs are not known to transmit disease. Their bites are painless and typically happen at night while you sleep. Bed bugs feed for about three to 10 minutes before crawling off to a sheltered crevice. They will bite anywhere on the body, but especially on exposed areas such as the face, neck, arms and hands. Some people are hardly aware they have been bitten, but others suffer an allergic reaction and may develop painful swellings similar to those associated with mosquito or flea bites. The bites may itch for up to two weeks before healing, so resist the urge to scratch to prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Wash the bites with soap and water to reduce the risk of infection.
How can I prevent a bed bug infestation in my home?
Insect repellents do not work against bed bugs. Preventing infestations requires extra caution so you do not bring infested items into your home. It is important to inspect new and used furniture before bringing it inside by examining tight spaces along seams, around buttons and under cushions. Avoid picking up curbside items. When traveling, look for evidence of bed bugs, such as fecal spots on mattresses, before unpacking. Keep luggage and other personal items on luggage racks away from upholstered surfaces and walls. If you suspect an infestation, be sure to report it to hotel management. Hotel infestations can also be reported to the State Fire Marshal by calling (888) 276-0303. Place clothing in disposable plastic bags before unpacking and immediately launder it upon returning home. Luggage may be treated or discarded if exposed to an infestation.
I think my home has bed bugs, but how can I be sure?
Unless an infestation is severe, you may not see bed bugs crawling out in the open. They prefer to hide in sheltered areas until they come out to feed, but you can find evidence of bed bugs. Check pillowcases, sheets, box springs and mattresses for their feces which look like dark spots as if someone touched a dark magic marker to the fabric. Examine the room thoroughly, especially the wall, baseboard, headboard and furniture near the bed. Use a flashlight to look behind and underneath furniture and woodwork.
There are other bugs that look like bed bugs, some of which bite and can cause similar bite reactions. Before treating an infestation, it is important to correctly identify the bug. A professional pest control company can help properly identify bugs. TheOhio State Universitys Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic can also identify bugs submitted by the public for a fee.
How do I get rid of bed bugs?
There is no magic bullet to use against bed bugs. Once you have identified a bed bug infestation, you will probably require the help of a professional pest control specialist. But a professional cant do it alone. To get rid of bed bugs, you must remove clutter such as pictures, books and clothing from the infested area so there are fewer places for the bugs to hide. Vacuuming will remove some of the bed bugs, but the eggs are glued in place and cant be removed by vacuuming. When vacuuming, concentrate on mattress seams and around any tufts or buttons. Vacuum wherever your inspection revealed the presence of bed bugs furniture, box springs, bed frames, floors and baseboards. Remove the vacuum bag immediately; place it in a sealed plastic bag and dispose of it outdoors.
Infested items such as clothing, shoes, bedding and blankets can be placed in a clothes dryer on high heat for 20 minutes to kill bed bugs and their eggs. Mattresses and box springs may be enclosed in a bed bug-proof zippered cover to kill the bugs inside. The cover should remain in place for more than one year because bed bugs can survive a long time without feeding.
Bed bug resources:
Last updated: 03/05/2015
Zoonotic Disease Program
Read more here:
Ohio Department of Health Bed Bugs Website – odh.ohio.gov
- Orkin Releases Top 50 Bed Bug Cities List - September 22nd, 2018
- Tenant Laws on Bedbugs in Ohio | Legalbeagle.com - September 16th, 2018
- What do I do if my apartment has bed bugs? Legal Aid ... - August 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bugs | The City of Lakewood, Ohio - June 26th, 2018
- Bed Bugs | BadSpiderBites.com - May 11th, 2018
- I'm broke and need bed bug help in Ohio - April 9th, 2018
- 10 myths about bedbugs - Ohio.com | Akron Beacon Journal - February 11th, 2018
- BED BUGS ARE BACK - CCBH - January 21st, 2018
- Ohio, United States Bed Bug Registry Map Bed Bug ... - January 12th, 2018
- M2 Bed Bugs LLC - M2 - Bed Bug Treatment - November 22nd, 2017
- Bed Bugs Information - City of Columbus - September 27th, 2017
- Terminix Releases Top 20 Bed Bug Cities List - Business Wire (press release) - August 24th, 2017
- Cleveland tenants fight bed bug infestation, city ranked in top 15 for bed bug issues - News 5 Cleveland - August 24th, 2017
- Ohio baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - 13WHAM-TV - August 9th, 2017
- Babysitter hauling 5 kids in back of bed-bug infested U-haul arrested - kgw.com - August 6th, 2017
- Ohio baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul ... - WKRC TV Cincinnati - August 6th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - ABC News - August 5th, 2017
- An invasion of summer pests has me going buggy - Toledo Blade - July 23rd, 2017
- Bed bugs dumped in Ohio man's apartment by vandals - Fox 32 Chicago - July 21st, 2017
- Bed bugs dumped in Ohio man's apartment by vandals - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 20th, 2017
- Bed bugs dumped in Ohio man's apartment by vandals | Fox News - Fox News - July 18th, 2017
- Management of embattled Euclid high-rise responds to rat complaints - News 5 Cleveland - July 18th, 2017
- Partnership to allow Inspire Shelter project to save money - Logan Daily News - July 14th, 2017
- Commercial Considerations - PCT Magazine - July 3rd, 2017
- Bed Bug Basics | Ohio Healthy Homes Network - June 9th, 2017
- Angry man denied assistance releases around 100 bed bugs in city office - fox8.com - June 6th, 2017
- Youngstown Job and Family Services evacuated after bed bug sighting - WKBN.com - March 2nd, 2017
- JFS closes early due to bedbug fears - Youngstown Vindicator - March 2nd, 2017
- Children removed from filthy Springfield home | WKEF - WKEF ABC 22 - March 1st, 2017
- Crews tackle illegal dumping in Portsmouth, Ohio - WSAZ-TV - March 1st, 2017
- Bed Bug Heater Rentals OHIO - BED BUG HEATER RENTALS - February 19th, 2017
- Youngstown news, Contract approved for bed-bug treatment - Youngstown Vindicator - February 17th, 2017
- Recent bed bug incidents spark concern at Circleville High School - Pickaway News Journal - February 11th, 2017
- Bed Bugs reported at Circleville High School - NBC4i.com - February 9th, 2017
- Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force - COBBTF - February 8th, 2017
- What is a Beg Bug? | Bed Bug Pest Identification, Facts ... - January 8th, 2017
- Cuyahoga County Bed Bug Task Force - December 23rd, 2016
- Bed Bugs: Sure Thing Pest Control, Cincinnati, Ohio - July 22nd, 2016
- Bed Bugs Pest Identification - General Pest Ohio - May 31st, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Clermont County, Ohio General Health District - May 12th, 2016
- Scientists Use Bed Bugs' Own Chemistry Against Them - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs Information - Columbus, Ohio - March 7th, 2016
- Bed bugs B.S. in the media: Ohios secondhand stores - October 30th, 2015
- The General Pest Control Company - Bed Bugs - October 5th, 2015
- Insight Pest Solutions Reveals Pest Control Tips from 117 Experts - March 25th, 2015
- CCA battles bedbugs - March 10th, 2015
- Dayton Bed Bug and Pest Control | Dayton and Columbus Ohio - February 6th, 2015
- Home Destroyed During Bed Bug Battle - February 5th, 2015
- Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet: Bed Bugs - February 4th, 2015
- We're Number 1...For Bed Bugs, Third Year In A Row - January 22nd, 2015
- Financial Assistance Low Income Ohio Families With Bed Bugs - January 21st, 2015
- Bed Bug Physiology, Biology, and Behavior | Bed Bugs - December 1st, 2014
- Orkin's 50 worst cities for bed bugs - NBC4: Columbus ... - November 28th, 2014
- Bedbugs - Disability Rights Ohio - November 4th, 2014
- A1-ABLE Pest Doctors Announces Their Approval As A Steward For The Application Of Vikane Fumigant For Bed Bug ... - October 24th, 2014
- Winning the bed bug battle at the Cabell County Public Library - October 21st, 2014
- Bed Bugs Ohio Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton Have ... - September 23rd, 2014
- COBBTF About Bed Bugs - Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force - July 7th, 2014
- Bedbugs | Ohio Exterminating Pest Control Columbus Ohio - May 7th, 2014
- Treatment For Bed Bugs In Ohio | Rose Pest Solutions - May 7th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Shut Down Summit County Welfare Office, My Cleaning Products Recommends a Bed Bug Spray to Help Residents ... - April 10th, 2014
- Bed Bugs (ODH) - Ohio Department of Health Home - March 31st, 2014
- Bed bugs - Ohio - March 24th, 2014
- Thorough Bed Bug Extermination in Greater Cleveland - March 14th, 2014
- List With Bite: Cleveland Ranks 6th for Most Bed Bugs - February 28th, 2014
- Police standoff in Shaker Heights; Northeast Ohio 6th for bed bugs; 6 accused of hazing at Akron: Overnight News Links - February 28th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Pester Ohio Library, My Cleaning Products Recommends a Bed Bug Spray To Get Rid of Them Immediately - February 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Ohio: Resident Resources and Tips - January 24th, 2014
- Bed bugs Ohio, which Ohio neighborhoods have bedbug ... - January 21st, 2014
- Bed Bug Precautions - January 17th, 2014
- It might be the Second City but Chicago is No. 1... in bed bugs - January 16th, 2014
- Alert: County employees informed about bed bugs, officials say they're not infested - January 14th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Found At Justice Center - January 14th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Ohio Department of Health - January 12th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Cause Fire in Marion Ohio, My Cleaning Products Gives Tips to Prevent Bed-Bug-Related Incidents - January 3rd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Plague Another Ohio Firehouse, My Cleaning Products Suggests a Pesticide-Exempt Bed Bug Spray to Help Others ... - December 24th, 2013
- Whitehall FD Reports Bed Bug Infestation, Develops Plan - December 20th, 2013
- Bed Bug Control - Varment Guard - Pest Control Company ... - December 7th, 2013
- Bed bugs Ohio, which Ohio neighborhoods have bedbug infestations - November 27th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Ohio - November 27th, 2013
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.