Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Bed Bug Information Introduction
Human bed bugs are found all over the world in all kinds of neighborhoods and settings. During the last decade there has been a significant increase in the reported number of infestations. The good news is that this insect in not known to transmit any type of human disease. However, some individuals experience intense itching from the bites that can lead to nervous and digestive disorders. The challenge is to prevent the spread of this pest by correctly identifying it and eliminating it.
Bed bugs may hitch a ride on luggage, furniture, clothing, shoes, backpacks, pillows, boxes, and other objects when these are moved between apartments, homes and hotels where there is an infestation. Used furniture, especially bed frames and mattresses, are of greatest risk in harboring bed bugs and their eggs. Because they readily survive for many months without feeding, bed bugs may already be present in apparently "vacant" and "clean" apartments. Bed bugs can wander between adjoining apartments through voids in walls and holes through which wires and pipes pass. They have also been seen crawling across hallways in hotels from one unit to another.
Bed bugs are active at night when they leave their daytime resting place deep inside cracks and crevices to seek out a blood meal. Adult male and female bed bugs, as well as nymphs (young), feed on blood and then retreat to daytime hiding places where they lay their eggs. A person doesn't feel the bite taking place. It is the saliva that causes the intense itching and welts the next day. People often think the bites are caused by mosquitos or spiders. Some people don't have a bite reaction for 4-5 days. Others may show no reaction to the bites at all.
Other insects such as spiders can cause bites on humans, so it's important to correctly identify bed bugs if they are present. Checking the bed linen in the middle of the night offers a good opportunity to find bed bugs on the move. Look for bed bugs under folds in mattresses, along seams, and behind headboards. A sweet, pungent odor and fecal (black) or bloody spots left on bedding are indications of a large bed bug infestation.
Live or dead bed bugs, cast skins, and eggs from an infested room or residence can be submitted to the Health District for identification. Other insects may be confused with the bed bugs so proper identification is important.
A licensed pest control professional (PCP) should be hired to effectively eradicate bed bugs. Once a careful inspection has been conducted within infested and adjoining rooms, an approved insecticide that has some long-lasting activity should be applied. A follow-up pest control evaluation is advised as a second insecticide application may be necessary.
Mattresses and box springs can be vacuumed, steam cleaned and treated by a PCP. They should then be encased in a zippered cover that is bed bug proof. If the PCP requests disposal of the mattress and box spring, it should first be treated, then wrapped in plastic before removal and placement in a locked dumpster or transport to landfill.
A strong vacuum can be used to remove bugs and eggs from cracks and crevices. A steam cleaner is useful for killing nymphs and eggs on all surfaces. Clothes can be washed in hot water and dried on the hot cycle. Putting non-washable items such as tennis shoes in a dryer for 5 minutes at moderate heat will kill bugs and eggs.
Particular attention should be given to beds with head boards fastened to the wall or boxed-in mattress frames as these offer excellent hiding places. Bed bug infestations in these areas can evade detection and insecticide treatment.
Good house-keeping practices including regular vacuuming and washing of bedding are helpful to discourage bed bugs. Eliminating hiding places by caulking cracks and crevices is also a good idea. Do not buy used mattresses or stuffed furniture because of the current epidemic of bed bug infestations.
Since bat and bird bugs can also take a blood meal from humans, eliminate them and their nests from chimneys, attics, and eaves. Nest removal should include insecticide treatment to control any bat or bird bugs that are left behind.
Potter, Michael F., (2006) Bed Bugs. University of Kentucky, Cooperative Extension Service. http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp
Cooper, Richard, (2004) Bed Bug Central, Your Online Resource from the Bed Bug Experts. http://www.bedbugcentral.com/bedbugs101
Knight, Jeff, State Entomologist, Nevada State Department of Agriculture. From unpublished interview regarding bed bugs and their control in the State.
Bed Bugs and Related Species
Bed bug control brochure
Bed Bug Guide for Motel Managers
Photo credit: Piotr Naskrecki
Last modified on 08/15/2018
- Las Vegas Reopening: Are Casinos Taking an Unnecessary Risk By Not Requiring Masks? - The Action Network - June 6th, 2020
- Hotels To Skip In Vegas, And Which Ones To Book Instead - TheTravel - May 5th, 2020
- Nevada Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports | BedBugReports.com - February 17th, 2020
- 13 Creepy Bugs Found In Nevada - February 17th, 2020
- What to Know About Bed Bugs in Las Vegas Hotel Rooms - March 4th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Southern Nevada Health District - January 22nd, 2019
- Las Vegas Pest Control | Fortified Pest Management - April 28th, 2018
- Liquid Nitrogen Sprays Freeze Bed Bugs in Italy ... - February 21st, 2018
- College Handbook: The Chico dorm room/apartment checklist - Oroville Mercury Register - August 19th, 2017
- College Handbook: The Chico dorm room/apartment checklist - Chico Enterprise-Record - August 18th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Heat Treatment Las Vegas - jspestcontrol.com - August 7th, 2017
- As temperatures rise, so does the infestation of bugs - Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 16th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator in Las Vegas A1 Bed Bug Pros Opens with Outstanding Services - Digital Journal - July 14th, 2017
- JS Pest Control Bed Bugs Extermination | Learn - Do You ... - June 28th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Las Vegas, Nevada - Pest Control - June 13th, 2017
- Embarrassed seniors complicate bed bug fight at Las Vegas housing complex - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 4th, 2017
- Student's future shines despite parents' addictions - The Nevada Sagebrush (blog) - February 6th, 2017
- How to Check a Room for Bed Bugs | USA Today - December 25th, 2016
- How to Search Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs | WIRED - May 31st, 2016
- Essential Oils Fail at Killing Bed Bugs | WIRED - May 21st, 2016
- Bed Bug Control | Western Exterminator - March 21st, 2016
- Las Vegas Bed Bug Removal | Fischer's Pest Control - March 19th, 2016
- Pest Control Services - Hidden City Pest Control - Las ... - March 7th, 2016
- Nevada Bed Bug Exterminators Pest Control - March 7th, 2016
- Heat Bed Bugs | Why settle for pest control...we eliminate ... - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bug Reports Edgewater Hotel And Casino Laughlin, NV ... - October 31st, 2015
- How to kill bed bugs using steam (FAQs) - October 5th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Paris Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV - September 4th, 2015
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment Pest Control Las Vegas NV ... - August 11th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, NV - August 11th, 2015
- Bed Bug Treatment | Clark Pest Control - August 11th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Mirage Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NV - February 15th, 2015
- Company Trains Dogs to Detect Bed Bugs - December 17th, 2014
- Prochem Proactive Deploys the Bed Bug Mobile Command Center - November 20th, 2014
- Nevada Bedbug Laws | Pest Control Las Vegas NV - June 6th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas - Bed Bug Removal & Management by ... - May 8th, 2014
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Reno Hotels - Reno, Nevada ... - May 7th, 2014
- Senske Services Offers Tips on Bed Bug Prevention During National Bed Bug Awareness Week - April 23rd, 2014
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas Forum TripAdvisor - April 15th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Las Vegas Forum - TripAdvisor - Reviews of ... - March 24th, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Las Vegas Forum - TripAdvisor - February 17th, 2014
- nevada Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - bed bug news ... - February 6th, 2014
- Reno NV Dermatologist Doctors - Bed Bugs Bites, Signs, in ... - January 29th, 2014
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Las Vegas Hotels - Las Vegas ... - January 19th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas Advice News Hotel Reports and Local Resources - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Report for Excalibur Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NV - December 23rd, 2013
- nevada — Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com - December 1st, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Health Topics - Southern Nevada Health District - November 25th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Las Vegas Forum - TripAdvisor - Reviews of Hotels ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Registry Database Nevada, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - November 23rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Las Vegas Hotels - Las Vegas, Nevada ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Pest Conrol Bed Bugs Treatment 3 | Las Vegas Nevada | 702-636-8571 - Video - June 7th, 2012
- Bed Bugs Las Vegas NV | 702-636-8571 - Video - March 22nd, 2012
- Stop Buggn Pest Control - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Global Bed Bug Dispatch - Video - February 9th, 2012
- BELLAGIO HOTEL LAS VEGAS BED BUG - Video - January 20th, 2012
- PEST VLOG 11-4-11 Halloween, Bed Bugs - November 8th, 2011
- STOP BUGGN RADIO COMMERCIAL #2 NEW MUSIC - Video - October 31st, 2011
- PEST VLOG 10-10-11 Debrief Tha Roach, Bed Bug Airlines - October 22nd, 2011
- If I have bedbugs, what are my legal rights as a tenant? - October 8th, 2011
- Delcon Termite - October 8th, 2011
- 2010 Election, Asteroid Collision - September 8th, 2011
- 702.tv News, July 7th, 2009 - September 5th, 2011
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.