Learning how to identify bed bugs will help any home owner or apartment tenant avoid an infestation. All it takes is one pregnant female to produce a population. Bed Bugs do resemble other bugs, so a close inspection is required.
Bed bug appearance will change based on where they are in their life cycle, as they pass through 5 nymph and 1 adult stage. Color and shape can also vary if the bedbug has just had a blood meal and if that meal has been digested. They will appear flat and light brownish if they haven't just eaten and will become reddish after feeding.
Bed bug infestations are increasing across the globe. Reports in many U.S. cities show a 2x increase in complaints over a 2 year period. Reports in Ontario Canada have increased 100%, while Germany has seen a year to year increase of 5 reports to 76 reports.
In its earliest stages bed bugs may be difficult to detect since red bumps on the skin and skin itch, the typical symptom, can have multiple causes. As an infestation grows, repeated bites and stains on the mattress make it obvious that bed bugs are the problem and indicates that you should bring in an expert to identify bed bugs in your home or apartment.
Bed bugs change in appearance depending on where they are in the bed bugs life cycle. A bed bug will pass through five stages before reaching the sixth stage which is adulthood. Baby bed bugs are referred to as nymphs.
The bugs are also difficult to detect since they tend to only leave their hiding places at night, with the only sign being mattress or furniture stains. When an infestation is small, must bugs can be found on or near a bed, hiding on a box spring, backboard on in cracks on a bed frame, particularly wood frames. Always look for light to dark spots which can be shed skins and feces .
At birth they are about 1/16 of an inch and have a light straw color appearance. After a blood meal they will redden in color and appear to be larger. As they get older they become darker in color, taking on a reddish/brown appearance and grow to 1/4 inch.
If you think you have bed bugs, but want to be sure, then you can send a bug you capture to the Cornell Insect Diagnostic Laboratory. The service costs $25.
Bed bugs tend to hide in many places around a room, with most hiding near or around the mattress. The following diagram shows common bed bug hiding places. It is possible to see a solitary bed bug that isn't near the location of the larger infestation.
When trying to identify bed bugs, look in the following places in the typical room:
Here are some bed bug identification tips:
1. Bed Bug Bites: The most telling way to determine if you have bed bugs is if you experience bites while sleeping. Bites can vary from just puncture marks on the skin to large red bumps. The bites themselves are an allergic reaction and vary from person to person. It is possible for the allergic reaction to worsen after each biting episode. When a person is being bitten they may only feel a slight tickle. Bed bugs tend not to bite the face or bottom of the feet.
2. Spots on the Mattress: Red blood smears, brown spots, or pale colored spots (fecal spots) on the mattress along the seams or on sheets, bed sheets or the head board. Look for clusters of spots, particularly on the head board, where the bugs might hide or rest.
3. Look for Bed Bug Eggs; A female will lay clusters of Bed bug eggs along the seams of the mattress and in other parts of the room. These are white pin sized specs that will be glued on to the mattress as the eggs are sticky when laid by a female bed bugs. When looking for a bed bug egg, use a magnifying glass and a bed bug detection flashlight.
4. Bed Bug Odor: Bed bugs sometimes, but not always give off a distinct odor that smells like coriander. The alarm pheromone is not always produced so bugs or rooms infested by them don't always smell like this. However, bed bug dogs can pick up odors that humans cannot.
5. Seeing the bugs themselves on the mattress: 90% will be near or around the bed.
6. Create Your Own Bed Bug Trap: Rutgers University Scientists have devised a simple make at home trap that can help you identify bed bugs (Science News, Jan. 16, 2010).
Start by putting 2.5 lbs. or dry eyes in a 1/3 gallon jug. A cooler (eg; Coleman type) with a flip top will be best. Leave the spout open a bit, so that as carbon dioxide is released, it leaves the container. Put the cooler in the center of a bowl such as a pet food dish. Tape a piece of paper to the outside of the dish.
The bed bugs will be attracted to the carbon dioxide, climb up the side of the dish or bowl and then get trapped inside. Place some talcum powder into the dish, which will kill the bed bugs when it sticks to the insect's back. This home made bed bugs trap should work within 12 hours if you have bed bugs.
As an alternative, you can buy a Climbup Interceptor (pictured below), and place one under each leg of the bed. This will work the same way, and trap any bed bugs heading toward the bed and the human host.
Bed bugs are oval in appearance and can look like a tick or small cockroach. They follow a life cycle where they change in appearance. They appear to be flat if unfed or far on in digesting a blood meal. Atfirst, Instars are whitish and yellowish or straw-colored and nymphs (young bed bugs) will be plump and red if they have taken a blood meal. They are not so red in color if digesting the meal.
After a meal a bed bug will become enlarged by approximately 30%.
There are 92 species of bed bugs in the world, with 16 of the 92 found in the United States. Sometimes it is very difficult to identify bed bugs vs. other bugs. These include:
Bugs vary by their natural host and where they are found. Several bugs need to be collected and examined by a pest control specialist in order to confirm that an infestation exists.
A pest control expert will have the experience for how to identify bed bugs. We suggest starting with a call to Home Advisor (1.877-233-1145), which is a network of local pest control experts that are pre-screened by the network before being accepted as members. They will provide up to 4 free quotes and certify that each member is licensed and insured.
You can also search our database of local bed bug experts here. If you'd like to read consumer reviews of bedbug exterminators in your area, a helpful service is Angie's List.
Someone that frequently treats bed bugs infestations will know where in a home or apartment to look for hiding bugs. Expect to pay $50 to $500 for an on site inspection ($500 is a dog is used) plus the cost of the treatment which can cost $750 or more.
As an alternative, a do it yourself kit, containing the multiple products you need, such as the one offered by Naturasil for Bed Bugs (uses organic methods) or Bed Bug Supply (insecticide based) will cost $160 for everything you need (spray, steamer, fossil dust, mattress covers).
Each of these free brochures provide additional information on how to identify bed bugs in your home or apartment.
How to Identify Bed Bugs
Tips on how to identify bed bugs in your home, office or when traveling..
Written by: Dini M. Miller, Ph.D.
Available in a free Ebook
Bed Bug Identification and Inspection
One page summary of how to identify bed bugs and inspect your home, apartment, office or hotel room.
Written by: Illinois Department of Public Health
Available in a free Ebook
Do you have a question or great story about bed bugs? Share it!
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Identify Bed Bugs: Pictures and Descriptions
- Does Alcohol Kill Bed Bugs? | Terminix - October 15th, 2022
- Dont Let the Bed Bugs Bite: The Origin of the Rhyme - October 13th, 2022
- Manitoulin Blood Feeders: Part II of a series - Fleas, bed bugs, lice and ticks... oh my! - Manitoulin Expositor - October 13th, 2022
- Bed Bug Bites: 8 Symptoms, Signs and Treatments for Bed ... - Stoppestinfo - October 1st, 2022
- Where Do Bed Bugs Hide? | Terminix - September 9th, 2022
- Pictures Of Adult Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - September 6th, 2022
- Four ways to protect workers from insect bites and stings - Canadian Occupational Safety - August 5th, 2022
- pest control Market 2022 | Exclusive discount of 30% | Key Facts, Dynamics, Segments and Forecast Predictions Presented This Is Ardee - This Is Ardee - July 27th, 2022
- Her brother begged for mental health, addiction support in prison. After he died, she took up his fight - CBC.ca - July 15th, 2022
- The Best Steamers for Bed Bugs in 2022 - Picks from Bob Vila - Bob Vila - May 25th, 2022
- Seniors in this rental tower are struggling to live independently so help is moving in - Toronto Star - May 19th, 2022
- Are there cockroaches in Prince George? - Prince George Citizen - May 17th, 2022
- Canada - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC - May 10th, 2022
- Bed Bug Control Brisbane 162 Albert St, Brisbane, Brisbane ... - May 8th, 2022
- Ian Mulgrew: Are you ready to be sued by your pet? - Vancouver Sun - April 19th, 2022
- Bed bugs reported in Hopkins and what to do by Mario Villarino - frontporchnewstexas.com - April 14th, 2022
- Orkin Releases Top 50 Bed Bug Cities List - March 10th, 2022
- ranked worst bed bug city in Canada | CTV News - CTV News Toronto - March 8th, 2022
- Busy bed bugs remain in business - Benzinga - Benzinga - March 8th, 2022
- Bed bugs in Vancouver: Here's where the city ranks | CTV News - CTV News Vancouver - March 8th, 2022
- Castanet Vernon's weekly bug feature caught the attention of a reader in Australia - Vernon News - Castanet.net - February 28th, 2022
- Nation's Top Bed Bug Lawyer Smashes Bed Bugs with New Tech - February 27th, 2022
- What The F*ck News: This Full Block In Toronto With A History Of Bed Bugs, Roach Infestations And So Many Fires Is On Sale For Close To $19M - 6ixBuzz - February 24th, 2022
- Warning of surge in bed bugs as Covid restrictions ease - Dublin Live - February 9th, 2022
- Bed bug bites: What you need to know - Medical News Today - February 3rd, 2022
- Bed Bug Heat Treatment | Cost, Effectiveness & Preparation ... - February 3rd, 2022
- Rest assured, Alberta's Laura Walker doing everything right to make Scotties run - Calgary Sun - February 3rd, 2022
- Identifying bug bites: Bed bugs, ticks, and more - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2022
- University of Kentucky Research: Human Skin Lipids Repel ... - January 16th, 2022
- PEST PROBLEMS: Canadians despise bed bugs, rats most ... - January 16th, 2022
- Are These Bed Bugs or Fleas? | Terminix - January 11th, 2022
- Watch Out for These Blood-Sucking Bugs | Terminix - January 11th, 2022
- Toronto Officially Has The Worst Bed Bug Problem In All Of Canada - Narcity - December 24th, 2021
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like? 65+ Pictures Of Bed Bugs - December 22nd, 2021
- 27 books to make buying for those on your gift list a breeze: part 2 of the Toronto Stars Books Gift Guide - Toronto Star - December 3rd, 2021
- 5 Ways to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Fast | Bed Bugs in Mattress ... - November 12th, 2021
- Bugs | Ortho - November 8th, 2021
- Secret diary of a doctor - bed bugs, sex drives, Fresh ... - October 21st, 2021
- Bed Bugs vs Mites: How to Tell the Difference | Terminix - October 8th, 2021
- How to bed bug proof your luggage at a hotel ... - October 6th, 2021
- What Do Bed Bugs Eat? | Terminix - October 1st, 2021
- Why does this BC area have the rudest postal code in Canada? - Western Standard - September 12th, 2021
- Signs of Bed Bugs | Terminix - September 5th, 2021
- Bed Bug Reports - Check Hotels and Apartments Before You Stay - September 5th, 2021
- 'There's nothing good about this place': Tenants speak out about conditions at social housing property - The Kingston Whig-Standard - July 24th, 2021
- Insect Repellent Active Ingredients Market to Witness Unprecedented Growth in Coming Years Wall Street Call - Reported Times - June 23rd, 2021
- Pest Control Market will continue its rally | trending report with future analysis and forecast by 2021-2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Where Do Bed Bugs Come From? - June 5th, 2021
- News - Canada's bed bug hot spots: See where your city ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Insect Repellent Active Ingredients Market worth $1,361 million by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - June 2nd, 2021
- The 5 Most Interesting Facts About Bed Bugs | Orkin Canada - May 31st, 2021
- We humans have dumped on the poor pigeon for too long. It's high time to admire this fascinating bird - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - March 26th, 2021
- New rules will keep Hamilton units cleaner and safer for renters, city says - CBC.ca - March 24th, 2021
- Fumigation Bed Market to Witness Astonishing Growth with AlwaysEco, Rentokil Initial, Presto-X, Anticimex Cabell Standard - Cabell Standard - March 17th, 2021
- Bedbugs: how do I get rid of them? - Canada.ca - March 7th, 2021
- City keeps apartment deal for overflow family shelter in Vanier - CBC.ca - March 3rd, 2021
- 'We need to move out': Overflow shelter dispute to come before city committee - CBC.ca - March 1st, 2021
- Insect Pest Control Market Size, Current and Future Trend 2021-2027 | Comprehensive Report by Reports Globe The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 27th, 2021
- Toronto tenants accuse property manager of freezing them in their apartments - blogTO - February 27th, 2021
- Women's multiple uses of an overdose prevention technology to mitigate risks and harms within a supportive housing environment: a qualitative study -... - February 7th, 2021
- Baltimore Comes In Second On Orkin's List Of Cities With Most Bed Bugs - Yahoo News - February 5th, 2021
- Bed bug sightings plummet in Canada as COVID-19 makes it harder for them to spread - Local News 8 - LocalNews8.com - January 30th, 2021
- Toronto tops pest control companys list of worst Canadian cities for bed bugs - Global News - January 27th, 2021
- The Road: 100 Days of Travel in Pandemic-Ravaged America - Rolling Stone - December 29th, 2020
- Eriksmoen: This North Dakotan made laundry day much simpler by inventing the automatic clothes dryer - Grand Forks Herald - November 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Household Insecticides Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 10th, 2020
- WNBA caps off its wildest, most impactful season ever with the founding of a dynasty - Deadspin - October 9th, 2020
- St. John's family struggling to get mentally ill man transferred out of squalid conditions - CBC.ca - September 25th, 2020
- 'It was really disgusting': 2 cases of bedbugs reported at N.W.T. isolation hotels - CBC.ca - September 23rd, 2020
- Violent crime in Vancouver tent city neighbourhood on the rise, police say - The Globe and Mail - September 19th, 2020
- Whistleblower protection laws need fixing | StCatharinesStandard.ca - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 7th, 2020
- Pest Control Market to Expand with Significant CAGR during 2017-2026 - StartupNG - August 19th, 2020
- 5 nasty bugs in the B.C. Interior you might want to stay on top of - iNFOnews - August 17th, 2020
- Insect Pest Control Market Size by Top Companies, Regions, Types and Application, End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 15th, 2020
- 7 types of bug bites Canadians can expect this summer ... - July 29th, 2020
- 'One here, one there. There's no bedbugs.': Owner of former Northwoods Inn says closure unwarranted - CTV News - July 25th, 2020
- Pest Control Market business opportunity, and growth (2017-2026) - Apsters News - July 6th, 2020
- 10 bugs that look like bed bugs | Bedbug Detected - June 16th, 2020
- The Bed Bug Armageddon | Alberta Fire and Flood - June 16th, 2020
- Two B.C. cities crack top 25 most bedbug-infested cities ... - June 16th, 2020