Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Bed bug problems are becoming more common in apartment communities. More than ever, its important for tenants and landlords to understand these insects and what it takes to eliminate them from apartments.
Bed bugs are tiny insects that live by feeding on human blood, usually at night. They are secretive, hiding in cracks and crevices during the day, and coming out at night to feed. The bite of the bed bug is painless and may or may not leave a red mark or itchiness.
Bed bugs are small, and come out mostly at night.
Because of their small size and painless bite, bed bugs may initially go unnoticed. If you notice that you are waking up with itchy welts, see tiny red spots on bedding, or think you have seen the bugs, you may have a problem. Bed bugs do not have nests, but will congregate in choice hiding places. These areas may be marked by tiny dark spots and stains, and may have a sweetish odor.
Fortunately bed bugs are not known to carry any diseases to humans, although some people may experience irritation or allergic reactions to bed bug bites. Mostly bed bugs are considered disgusting and can be a source of stress and concern for people living in infested apartments.
Bed bug in textured ceiling with droppings (upper right, lower right and lower left) around harborage between popcorn texture.
Bed bugs are no longer an unusual pestin apartments. Since approximately 2000, bed bugs have reemerged as an important pest in the United States. Bed bugs are occasionally introduced into an apartment via luggage that has become infested from a hotel or hostel. In apartment complexes, it is probably more common for bed bugs to enter a home from a nearby infested apartment, during moving, or through picking up used or recycled furniture or mattresses. Once introduced into an apartment building, bed bugs can readily spread from one infested unit to another.
If you think you see a bed bug, capture it if possible. Place in a leak-proof container, preferably with a little rubbing alcohol, and show it to your apartment manager to confirm its identity. Even if you cannot capture one of the insects, you should inform your building manager if you suspect you have a bed bug problem.
When beg bugs are found in one apartment unit, it is considered standard practice in the pest control industry to inspect all apartments surrounding the infested apartment. If no bed bugs are found, surrounding apartments do not necessarily need to be treated. But if an adjacent apartment is found infested, it should be treated and all adjacent apartments should also be inspected (see next question).
If you live in an apartment or condominium, its best to alert the property manager right away (preferably by phone and in writing). In multi-family housing a manager-coordinated bed bug control effort using a pest control company is generally needed. Bed bugs readily move from apartment to apartment, with many people unaware that they have a problem, so chances are that you will not eliminate a bed bug problem by yourself. If one apartment is infested, adjoining units (left side, right side, above and below) should be assumed to be infested unless shown otherwise through inspection or monitoring. Simply asking tenants whether they have bed bugs is not enough. In one study only half of residents in a large apartment with bed bugs knew (or admitted) they had a bed bug problem.
Bed bug treatment consists of a thorough inspection followed by vacuuming and treatment of all detected bug hiding spots. Treatment is labor intensive and may take several hours per apartment. It will also probably require several visits and treatments to permanently get rid of a bed bug problem.
In Texas, multifamily housing, hotels, orany business providing lodging must be treated for pests by a licensed pesticide applicator. So unless the apartment employee who entersyour home to control bed bugsislicensed by the Texas Pest Control Service, this would be illegal. Illegal activity by an unlicensed person includes theuse of over-the-counter pesticides, heat treatment or any other non-chemical control methodsanything intended to control pests like bed bugs, cockroaches, mice, etc.
Apartment with clothing and personal items bagged and ready for pest control.
As a tenant, your first responsibility is to report any suspected bed bug problem immediately. Once an appointment is made for your treatment, it will be your duty to prepare your apartment. The following tips will help your pest control service and YOU to get rid of bed bugs quickly.
Its essential to cooperate with management and with your pest control professionals to get complete bed bug control. Once established, bed bugs can be difficult to control, especially without the help of tenants like you.
For more information about bed bugs, including their biology and how to recognize them, see publication L-1742 Bed Bugs as well as the EPA website on bed bugs. If you live in a situation where professional pest control is not available or not being provided by management, see our publication on Do-it-yourself bed bug control (ENT-3012) for tips on controlling bed bugs. The fact sheet on How to Select a Bed Bug Control Provider (ENT-033) has special information to assist apartment managers in working with pest control contractors.
Michael Merchant, Ph.D., Professor and Extension Urban Entomologist, Texas AgriLife Extension Service. Dallas.
- Pecos TX Bed bug Hotel and Apartment Reports - September 29th, 2018
- Pest Control San Antonio | Bed Bugs, Wasp & Rodent Control - July 16th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Bed Bug Treatment in Southeast Texas | EnviroCon - April 10th, 2018
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator in Houston Texas! Control-Removal ... - January 12th, 2018
- 855bugs.com - Pest Control Services - Termites - Bed Bugs - December 6th, 2017
- Bed bugs seeing 'exponential' increase in Grayson County - KXII-TV - August 11th, 2017
- Killeen: Several cats euthanized following apartment fire - KWTX.com - KWTX - August 8th, 2017
- Railroad workers say they're bugged by bugs at area hotel - KWTX - August 4th, 2017
- Tenants of Houston condo allege owners failed to disclose bed bug ... - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Tenants allege JK 1000 Country Place, others failed to disclose bed ... - Southeast Texas Record - July 27th, 2017
- Bed Bugs: An Expensive Pest Problem That Low-Income Renters Often Pay For - Texas Public Radio - June 21st, 2017
- Bed Bugs In Lubbock - Story | Lubbock, South Plains, West Texas - EverythingLubbock.com - June 14th, 2017
- Facebook post goes viral after woman alleges she found bed bugs on Parkdale mall couch - 12newsnow.com - June 13th, 2017
- Pictures Of Adult Bed Bugs - Bed Bug Guide - June 5th, 2017
- 'This was in both my ears' a woman says about bed bugs at the Aurora Apartments - FOX 29 - March 6th, 2017
- Three Union Plaza families find new homes, hope - El Paso Times - March 1st, 2017
- Repairs made, lawsuit dismissed against owner of apartment complex in Union Plaza - KFOX El Paso - February 17th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Fast - epestsupply.com - January 31st, 2017
- Bed Bugs - How To Kill and Get Rid of Bed Bugs - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs - Public Health Sanitation Program - dshs.texas.gov - July 22nd, 2016
- Home - Pest Management - June 8th, 2016
- KCK assisted living facility battling bed bugs - KLTV.com ... - November 20th, 2014
- Latest news for bed bug bites in Houston, Texas. - November 19th, 2014
- Bedbug CSI Lab Uses DNA To Figure Out What's Biting You - November 14th, 2014
- Customer tells her side of bedbug story - September 24th, 2014
- Bug Infestation Out Of Control; Residents Want Action - July 9th, 2014
- Bug Infestion Out Of Control; Residents Want Action - July 9th, 2014
- Texas Bed Bugs Treatment | Bed Bugs Control | About ... - May 8th, 2014
- Woman says she was kicked out of Texas shelter because of ... - April 2nd, 2014
- TAMU - Bed Bugs - Texas A&M University Center for Urban ... - April 1st, 2014
- Bed Bug Exterminator Round Rock TX | (512) 590-6627 ... - March 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs - Austin, Texas, Dallas, Houston, Louisiana, San ... - March 15th, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Texas Bugs In The News - March 14th, 2014
- Local students scratch research bug - March 11th, 2014
- Leech has a remarkably high tolerance to freezing and thawing - March 3rd, 2014
- TAMU - Bed Bugs - Texas A&M University - February 14th, 2014
- TAMU Bed Bugs Texas A&M University Center for ... - January 31st, 2014
- What are bed bugs? - Texas Department of State Health ... - January 19th, 2014
- Bed Bugs Plague Odessa Apartment Complex Says Resident, My Cleaning Products Recommends a Spray to Help Kill Bed Bugs ... - January 8th, 2014
- Keep pests out of your home during winter months - December 30th, 2013
- Fort Worth TX Dermatologist Doctors - Bed Bugs Bites, Signs ... - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed bugs and your apartment | Insects in the City - December 7th, 2013
- What’s Biting You? Bed bugs, bat and bird bugs, kissing bugs ... - December 6th, 2013
- Bed bugs: Do-it-yourself control options | Insects in the City - December 6th, 2013
- Bed Bugs in Texas « Bugs In The News - November 27th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Dallas Hotels - Dallas, Texas ... - November 18th, 2013
- Insects in the City: Guidelines for killing bed bugs in laundry - November 10th, 2013
- Bed Bugs - Public Health Sanitation Program - November 10th, 2013
- Home - Texas Bed Bug Pro's - November 8th, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Dallas Hotels - Dallas, Texas | Raveable.com - November 3rd, 2013
- What are bed bugs? - Texas Department of State Health Services Mobile - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Texas - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- ABC Home & Commercial Services' Dallas Branch Wins Angie's List Seven Years in a Row - October 10th, 2012
- ABC Home & Commercial Services’ San Antonio Branch Now Offering $25 Off Plumbing Service Call - October 3rd, 2012
- North Texas’ Bed Bug Infestation Growing At Alarming Rate - October 3rd, 2012
- Bed Bug Control Cedar Park TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Control Hutto TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Control Georgetown TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Control Lakeway TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Control Round Rock TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminator Georgetown TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Exterminators - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminator Cedar Park TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Exterminators - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminator Hutto TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Exterminators - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminator Lakeway TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Exterminators - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminator Round Rock TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Exterminators - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Treatment Georgetown TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Company - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Treatment Cedar Park TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Company - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Treatment Hutto TX | (512) 590-6627 | Texas Company - Video - June 12th, 2012
- Bed Bug Control Austin Tx | (512) 298-6989 | 78704 - Video - April 22nd, 2012
- Bed Bug Exterminator Austin TX | (512) 298-6989 | 78704 - Video - April 22nd, 2012
- More bed bug cases turning up in Waco - March 16th, 2012
- Bedbug Shredder Non-Toxic BedBug Treatment Is A First Line Of Defense Against Bedbugs Says New Planet Amazing Report - February 21st, 2012
- ABC SA TV 0902016 HD Bedbugs - Video - February 21st, 2012
- Bed bugs extermination Bed Bugs Prevention - Do's And Don'ts - Video - February 21st, 2012
- Bed Bugs ... and Upon Inspection - Video - February 13th, 2012
- Why Are Bed Bug Cures Not Working? Bed Bug Solution Scientists Expose Truth In New Report - February 13th, 2012
- ABC SA TV 120106 HD Bed Bug Heat - Video - February 6th, 2012
- KBTX Amazing Bedbug Dog | Swoboda Pest Control College Station, TX - Video - February 6th, 2012
- bed bugs on a couch - Video - February 6th, 2012
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.