Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Learning how to identify bed bugs will help any home owner or apartment tenant avoid an infestation. All it takes is one pregnant female to produce a population. Bed Bugs do resemble other bugs, so a close inspection is required.
Bed bug appearance will change based on where they are in their life cycle, as they pass through 5 nymph and 1 adult stage. Color and shape can also vary if the bedbug has just had a blood meal and if that meal has been digested. They will appear flat and light brownish if they haven't just eaten and will become reddish after feeding.
Bed bug infestations are increasing across the globe. Reports in many U.S. cities show a 2x increase in complaints over a 2 year period. Reports in Ontario Canada have increased 100%, while Germany has seen a year to year increase of 5 reports to 76 reports.
In its earliest stages bed bugs may be difficult to detect since red bumps on the skin and skin itch, the typical symptom, can have multiple causes. As an infestation grows, repeated bites and stains on the mattress make it obvious that bed bugs are the problem and indicates that you should bring in an expert to identify bed bugs in your home or apartment.
Bed bugs change in appearance depending on where they are in the bed bugs life cycle. A bed bug will pass through five stages before reaching the sixth stage which is adulthood. Baby bed bugs are referred to as nymphs.
The bugs are also difficult to detect since they tend to only leave their hiding places at night, with the only sign being mattress or furniture stains. When an infestation is small, must bugs can be found on or near a bed, hiding on a box spring, backboard on in cracks on a bed frame, particularly wood frames. Always look for light to dark spots which can be shed skins and feces .
At birth they are about 1/16 of an inch and have a light straw color appearance. After a blood meal they will redden in color and appear to be larger. As they get older they become darker in color, taking on a reddish/brown appearance and grow to 1/4 inch.
If you think you have bed bugs, but want to be sure, then you can send a bug you capture to the Cornell Insect Diagnostic Laboratory. The service costs $25.
Bed bugs tend to hide in many places around a room, with most hiding near or around the mattress. The following diagram shows common bed bug hiding places. It is possible to see a solitary bed bug that isn't near the location of the larger infestation.
When trying to identify bed bugs, look in the following places in the typical room:
Here are some bed bug identification tips:
1. Bed Bug Bites: The most telling way to determine if you have bed bugs is if you experience bites while sleeping. Bites can vary from just puncture marks on the skin to large red bumps. The bites themselves are an allergic reaction and vary from person to person. It is possible for the allergic reaction to worsen after each biting episode. When a person is being bitten they may only feel a slight tickle. Bed bugs tend not to bite the face or bottom of the feet.
2. Spots on the Mattress: Red blood smears, brown spots, or pale colored spots (fecal spots) on the mattress along the seams or on sheets, bed sheets or the head board. Look for clusters of spots, particularly on the head board, where the bugs might hide or rest.
3. Look for Bed Bug Eggs; A female will lay clusters of Bed bug eggs along the seams of the mattress and in other parts of the room. These are white pin sized specs that will be glued on to the mattress as the eggs are sticky when laid by a female bed bugs. When looking for a bed bug egg, use a magnifying glass and a bed bug detection flashlight.
4. Bed Bug Odor: Bed bugs sometimes, but not always give off a distinct odor that smells like coriander. The alarm pheromone is not always produced so bugs or rooms infested by them don't always smell like this. However, bed bug dogs can pick up odors that humans cannot.
5. Seeing the bugs themselves on the mattress: 90% will be near or around the bed.
6. Create Your Own Bed Bug Trap: Rutgers University Scientists have devised a simple make at home trap that can help you identify bed bugs (Science News, Jan. 16, 2010).
Start by putting 2.5 lbs. or dry eyes in a 1/3 gallon jug. A cooler (eg; Coleman type) with a flip top will be best. Leave the spout open a bit, so that as carbon dioxide is released, it leaves the container. Put the cooler in the center of a bowl such as a pet food dish. Tape a piece of paper to the outside of the dish.
The bed bugs will be attracted to the carbon dioxide, climb up the side of the dish or bowl and then get trapped inside. Place some talcum powder into the dish, which will kill the bed bugs when it sticks to the insect's back. This home made bed bugs trap should work within 12 hours if you have bed bugs.
As an alternative, you can buy a Climbup Interceptor (pictured below), and place one under each leg of the bed. This will work the same way, and trap any bed bugs heading toward the bed and the human host.
Bed bugs are oval in appearance and can look like a tick or small cockroach. They follow a life cycle where they change in appearance. They appear to be flat if unfed or far on in digesting a blood meal. Atfirst, Instars are whitish and yellowish or straw-colored and nymphs (young bed bugs) will be plump and red if they have taken a blood meal. They are not so red in color if digesting the meal.
After a meal a bed bug will become enlarged by approximately 30%.
There are 92 species of bed bugs in the world, with 16 of the 92 found in the United States. Sometimes it is very difficult to identify bed bugs vs. other bugs. These include:
Bugs vary by their natural host and where they are found. Several bugs need to be collected and examined by a pest control specialist in order to confirm that an infestation exists.
A pest control expert will have the experience for how to identify bed bugs. We suggest starting with a call to Home Advisor (1.877-233-1145), which is a network of local pest control experts that are pre-screened by the network before being accepted as members. They will provide up to 4 free quotes and certify that each member is licensed and insured.
You can also search our database of local bed bug experts here. If you'd like to read consumer reviews of bedbug exterminators in your area, a helpful service is Angie's List.
Someone that frequently treats bed bugs infestations will know where in a home or apartment to look for hiding bugs. Expect to pay $50 to $500 for an on site inspection ($500 is a dog is used) plus the cost of the treatment which can cost $750 or more.
As an alternative, a do it yourself kit, containing the multiple products you need, such as the one offered by Naturasil for Bed Bugs (uses organic methods) or Bed Bug Supply (insecticide based) will cost $160 for everything you need (spray, steamer, fossil dust, mattress covers).
Each of these free brochures provide additional information on how to identify bed bugs in your home or apartment.
How to Identify Bed Bugs
Tips on how to identify bed bugs in your home, office or when traveling..
Written by: Dini M. Miller, Ph.D.
Available in a free Ebook
Bed Bug Identification and Inspection
One page summary of how to identify bed bugs and inspect your home, apartment, office or hotel room.
Written by: Illinois Department of Public Health
Available in a free Ebook
Do you have a question or great story about bed bugs? Share it!
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
See original here:
Identify Bed Bugs: Pictures and Descriptions
- From blankets to backpacks to key fobs, Shawna Gilleland wore her love for the Iowa Hawkeyes - Des Moines Register - October 31st, 2020
- Early Humans Knew the Art of Creating Comfy Pest Free Beds According to Study! Is it true? Details here - Gizmo Posts 24 - August 19th, 2020
- How To Check for Bed Bugs - Illinois Bed Bug Registry ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Illinois Bed Bug Hotel and Apartment Reports ... - August 2nd, 2020
- Rights and Responsibilities - Housing - Illinois - July 29th, 2020
- How to Keep Bed Bugs Out of Your House - Healthy Home ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Inspection | CDIS - Canine Inspection & Detection ... - March 7th, 2019
- Bed Bug Registry Database Illinois, Usa, National Bed Bug ... - March 1st, 2019
- Illinois Tollway Building Has Bed Bugs, Employee Claims ... - March 1st, 2019
- Bed bugs on the increase in Illinois but lack of DDT makes ... - March 1st, 2019
- Dealing with bed bugs | Illinois Legal Aid Online - July 22nd, 2018
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Baby sitters accused of putting flea-infested kids in U-Haul - FOX 29 - August 11th, 2017
- Bed bugs pose particularly difficult problem in Central Illinois - Illinois News Network - July 31st, 2017
- Central Illinois struggles to find solution for bed bugs | Local ... - MyWebTimes.com - July 25th, 2017
- Bed bug numbers on the rise in Central Illinois - Herald & Review - July 22nd, 2017
- The bedbug letter - Casper Star-Tribune Online - July 10th, 2017
- What you need to know about bed bugs in Chicago | Illinois ... - July 8th, 2017
- Trained dogs patrol Indiana beach to keep birds away - Beloit Daily News - July 5th, 2017
- Local Pest Control Warns about Bed Bugs - CIproud.com - June 23rd, 2017
- Bed Bugs Archives - PMCS-ICAP - June 19th, 2017
- BedBug Central Announces April Survey Results - PCT Magazine - June 16th, 2017
- In 'Boundless,' The Modern World Is Timeless - NPR Illinois | 91.9 UIS - June 5th, 2017
- Where fake news goes to die - MyStateline.com - March 10th, 2017
- Investigation: Homeless families nonprofit climbing back from money troubles - TCPalm - February 24th, 2017
- Bedbugs 'an ongoing problem' - MyWebTimes.com - February 11th, 2017
- Beating Back Bed Bugs | Midwest Pesticide Action Center - February 1st, 2017
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bugs - January 6th, 2017
- Search for bed bugs in a hotel room (expert tips ... - December 27th, 2016
- Bed Bugs | Chicago Illinois Pest Control | Fox - April 4th, 2016
- News Release - University of Illinois Extension - April 4th, 2016
- BED BUGS HOTLINE | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- BED BUGS EDUCATION | IBBRA - March 7th, 2016
- Bed Bugs - StopPests.org - October 31st, 2015
- Illinois - Bed Bug Store - October 30th, 2015
- Bed Bug Pest Control in Chicago, IL | Midwest Exterminating - September 14th, 2015
- Bed Bug Report for Keylime Cove, Gurnee, IL - September 7th, 2015
- Bed Bug Images - Bedbugger.com - August 3rd, 2015
- Peoria County Government :: Bed Bugs - July 29th, 2015
- Lambs Farm battling bed bug infestation - March 17th, 2015
- Milwaukee challenging Orkin report that bed bugs are on the rise - January 22nd, 2015
- Chicago ranked as worst city in America for bed bugs - January 21st, 2015
- Scientists developing first bed bug trap - December 27th, 2014
- Bed Bugs- U of I Extension - December 8th, 2014
- Aurora leads (six) pack in expensive beer? - October 24th, 2014
- KILL BED BUGS CHICAGO ILLINOIS | 630-834-2423 | Kill Bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Illinois Department of Public Health takes action on bed ... - May 8th, 2014
- Bed Bug Treatment Illinois - Bed Bugs And BeyondBed Bugs ... - April 24th, 2014
- Bed Bug Awareness Week Recognized April 20-26 - April 17th, 2014
- Bed bugs spotted at the Thompson Center - March 22nd, 2014
- Illinois - Kill Bed Bugs | Best Bed Bug Treatment ... - March 18th, 2014
- Bed Bug Illinois - Go Bug Free, Inc. - Chicago, IL 60290 - February 25th, 2014
- Lawsuit: Bedbugs in suburban hotel force woman to cut dreadlocks - January 24th, 2014
- Bed Bugs' Infestation in Chicago Tops Latest Ranking, My Cleaning Products Tips Residents How to Kill Bed Bugs Quick ... - January 22nd, 2014
- Bed Bugs in Illinois | Bedbug Extermination in IL - January 18th, 2014
- Allied Termite and Pest Control - January 16th, 2014
- Metropolitan Tenants Organization » Bed Bugs – FAQ - January 4th, 2014
- Bed Bug Report for Hilton Palmer House, Chicago, IL - December 23rd, 2013
- Bed Bug Illinois - A Division of Go Bug Free, Inc. - November 27th, 2013
- City of Chicago :: Bed Bug Information - November 27th, 2013
- IN Bed Bug Control Gets Rid Of Bed Bugs In Indiana, Kentucky ... - November 25th, 2013
- Illinois teacher uses school bed bug infestation as teachable ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of ... - November 18th, 2013
- Bed Bugs Are Making a Comeback in Illinois - November 4th, 2013
- Can You See Bed Bugs in Champaign IL - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Prevention and Control - Illinois Department of Public Health - November 3rd, 2013
- Reports of Bed Bugs in Chicago Hotels - Chicago, Illinois ... - November 3rd, 2013
- Bed Bugs Chicago - Bed Bug.org - November 3rd, 2013
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Free 2-Day Express Shipping on Vapamore Primo Steam Vapor System - October 13th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Hybrid Allergy Relief Steam Vapor Sanitization System - October 10th, 2012
- Innovative ‘Green Cleaning’ Steam Vapor Sanitization Systems Now Come with Free Accessories, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR ... - October 9th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Italian Bed Bug Steam Vapor System - October 6th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Steam Vapor Systems Learning Center - October 5th, 2012
- Professional Bed Bug Steam Vapor System Now Affordable and Available, Announces 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com - October 1st, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Extends Free Accessory Set Offer Through October - September 30th, 2012
- 1-800-GO-VAPOR.com Announces Multifunctional Steam Vapor System that Makes Green Homekeeping Easy - September 30th, 2012
- Community Digest - June 16th, 2012
- FOX19 Investigates: Secret bed bug dangers - May 9th, 2012
- Champaign Man Upset Over Apartment Bed Bugs - May 4th, 2012
- Bed bugs are sucking the fun out of things - March 1st, 2012
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.